PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-Pleasantly Surprised Thread...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-08-2009, 02:31 PM
The Anti-Pleasantly Surprised Thread...

Ever have something happen that just rubbed you wrong? Well, it happened to me today.

I was writing up this big todo, when all of a sudden, it was gone. The wave of disappointment that followed after my initial shock and dismay of having lost it just nearly sent me off the edge.

Has this ever happened to you? Doesn't matter if it was a big thing or just something goofy and inconsequential, just as long as it affected you in not the nicest of ways.

What share you?

Now, if you are having a lucky streak, then see my other thread: The pleasantly surprised thread... (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10283) and rub our faces into your good fortune. :)

Baron_Samedi
06-10-2009, 05:51 PM
I guess it would have to be the time that the game store that i used to work at just up and closed on us...i know that we weren't making a whole vault of cash, but its still shatters your ego...all of the effort i put into creating a microcosm community and networking with all of the local businesses and coffee houses and stuff went up in a burst of flame...grumble grumble...:mad:

MortonStromgal
06-10-2009, 06:33 PM
WOTC pulling their pdfs & White-wolf stopping print on demand (though they assure me it will be back)

It just seams like a lot of stupid to me. Pulling product does NOT make me go buy a different medium of the product.

tesral
06-10-2009, 09:41 PM
My wife's aunt died Saturday.

From my Live Journal (http://tesral.livejournal.com/)
December 20th, 2007

The Tyranny of Small Annoyances. (http://tesral.livejournal.com/10952.html)

12/20/07 09:35 pm

We have all been visited by this beast. The day when nothing goes right. The time that everything you touch breaks. The appointment you left for in plenty of time, but every little time waster that could happen between here and there did. The kind of day or even week that has your dentist smiling because by the time you are done grinding you teeth together, you will need crowns.

Worse, no one will give you a minute's sympathy. Phil Onebetter down at the office is sure to tell you that "It's nothing, my department supervisor lost a leg to a crocodile on his Alaskan cruise and his wife has cancer of the love handles. Mary Sunshine is sure to chime in "But think of all the good things that happen."

And you know in that deep Calvinistic part of your being that hates for you to have fun that they are right. You know that going postal with the staple gun is not an appropriate response, even if a line of staples across Mary's forehead would improve her face lift.

But brother and sister, I am here to tell you they are wrong. You do have a right to complain. Frankly, a little annoyance produces as much stress chemicals as a big one. The funny thing is once you get done screaming and throwing things the big problems are easier to DEAL with. Okay, we are not starving in Dafur, and yes on an objective scale starving is worse than an intermittent computer problem. However, we are not starving in Dafur and we do have a computer problem, and a car that failed to start AND a baby sitter than called in at the last minute, AND, AND ... AND!!!!

You are stuck at the top of the ANDes and have no way off. The Ducks of Death have come to nibble and yea, it sucks, it hurts, and it drags you down. We need a bit of poor sweet baby and sympathy from our friends and loved ones so we can hitch up our bootstraps to go forth and kick the shit out of those ducks!

And when we are the friend we need to give that back-pat and that sympathetic ear, because sure as the sun shines when you need rain, and little green apples fall on your head it will be our day in the barrel again.

Is that quacking I hear?

-- Garry Stahl

Bob the Dalek
06-11-2009, 12:48 AM
I woke up this morning.

tesral
06-11-2009, 08:12 AM
I woke up this morning.

Fixin' to die.

Woke up this morning, yea fixin 'to die.
post in anti-pleasantly, but I don't know why.

templeorder
06-12-2009, 07:15 AM
This week i spec'd out 6 hours to work on a programming feature at work. This one is going on 2 days now and i'm constantly interrupted and i have a 3pm build deadline and i have to go the emergency room for a toe thats likely broken. Will i be code-complete? Noooooooo! Thank you for playing.

emblasochist
06-14-2009, 02:42 PM
I know the feeling of your favorite game shop closing. In my area, and I'm talking within a 30 mile radius of my home, every game/comic shop I have known has closed. And I'm not talking about 1 or two. I'm talking there were like 12. Every one of them has gone under in the past 10-12 years for me. It's depressing that every game shop tends to do this, and, I feel, because the computer has taken the game off the table and onto the screen. Sure there are players that play RPGs on the computer as well as the table, but it seems that there are far fewer of those than the players that don't play tabletops...

And what else ticks me off? I have thrown about 50-60 hours getting myself a DnD group together from a band of longtime friends that all have played at least once before and have felt the desire to play again. Sadly, I was forced to DM because while everyone else wanted to play and have made claims they will DM at some point, nobody but me took the initiative to do the work involved in crafting a game setting, or anything. So, I put about 40 hours of that time into crafting a setting that people took an interest into, and since the setting currently has no ties to the existing monster manuals with the exception of humanoids that can populate the world, I had to create my own monsters that fill the encounters. So about 25 hours was devoted to coming up with a monster manual of sorts. And its about a quarter finished. On top of that, I spent the rest of the 15 hours I worked on the campaign coming up with a compelling story and a first night's adventure. I had only two hours after everything else was said and done to come up with read-aloud text. They ran through it in 30 minutes, and I was forced to go by the seat of my pants, which I felt was bad because I'm not the best at doing that. And worse yet, at the end of the night, my long-time buddy, one that claimed he's working on a campaign,which he has been "working on" for about 2 years now, hasn't even started any work that is down on paper, and he's a forgetful guy, mind you; he had the nerve to say you gotta have more stuff ready. He was upset that the two hours I had to work on read-aloud and plot for the first night's game wasn't published quality stuff. That REALLY pissed me off. Worse yet, I've put $300 into the game right now, and that's just PHB,DMG and MM1, plus two sets of dice, a hard drive to keep all my DnD stuff on and organized with, and materials to turn posterboard into a battlemat. I've since thrown down $200 more on mapping software that I plan to use solely for RPGs because I lack the artistic talents to map the places out myself, and the two people that have art degrees in my group don't want to take the time to help me out with that.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Just deleted a whole row of mail, by mistake. Man, that sucks. I really have learned to hate Yahoo. Ah well, I'll soon be done with them.

tesral
06-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Just deleted a whole row of mail, by mistake. Man, that sucks. I really have learned to hate Yahoo. Ah well, I'll soon be done with them.

POP mail all the way dude.

Baron_Samedi
06-15-2009, 08:39 AM
I know the feeling of your favorite game shop closing. In my area, and I'm talking within a 30 mile radius of my home, every game/comic shop I have known has closed. And I'm not talking about 1 or two. I'm talking there were like 12. Every one of them has gone under in the past 10-12 years for me. It's depressing that every game shop tends to do this, and, I feel, because the computer has taken the game off the table and onto the screen. Sure there are players that play RPGs on the computer as well as the table, but it seems that there are far fewer of those than the players that don't play tabletops...

And what else ticks me off? I have thrown about 50-60 hours getting myself a DnD group together from a band of longtime friends that all have played at least once before and have felt the desire to play again. Sadly, I was forced to DM because while everyone else wanted to play and have made claims they will DM at some point, nobody but me took the initiative to do the work involved in crafting a game setting, or anything.

Yeah, that's been going on with me too...my players just hound me about, 'when are we going to play next? when are we going to play next?' and then i give them a date...they mumble and grumble about well that's a no go...and when i ask them when a good time to play would be, they rock on their heels...when i try to change things up and introduce a new game, they accuse me of being wishy-washy...but don't dare tell them you don't want to run the game, no one else wants to do it, so i get to play this wonderful game...

There is a game store just down the street from me, but unfortunately, unless you fit in to their ultra-competitive trash-talking minis and CCG clique...they won't even acknowledge you...then they have the nerve to go around to other game stores, and tell them how much they suck because they don't have anyone who is ranked nationally in Warmachine or Hordes...

Sometimes you wonder why we put up with any of this nonsense at all...

Angelus_Nox
06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
I just spent a few hours trying to find add ons or other ways to get some background music going for our Pen and Paper game over Skype. And each time I thought I finally made it, it didn't work. Skype crashed, the program did nothing, the sounds were distorted.
I'm thinking about going back to XP, at least in a dual boot configuration. Because that shit worked flawlessly there *angryface*

emblasochist
06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Sometimes you wonder why we put up with any of this nonsense at all...

I fully understand. I put something like 12 hours into prepping for my game for Friday night, and we played for less than 3. Worse than that, it felt like I was trying to herd cats, and the PCs are longtime friends of mine. It also bugged me that the rogue was a doppleganger race and wanted to shapeshift into every person he saw, or that he wanted to try and steal from EVERYONE, and wanted to stealth in broad daylight in the middle of the town's open area. To say that I was not amused would be as much an understatment as Arnold Schwarzenegger is no longer a body builder.

templeorder
06-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I've been pleasantly pished by the totally underwhelming responses from my play testers. Everyone just wants to play, now one wants to test... its time to break out the big guns... bribes.

traesin
06-23-2009, 06:29 AM
One of my pet peeves is parents that let thier children run amok all over the store and let their kids tear up the store.

and I wish I could find a game to play in....I can even host

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-23-2009, 09:58 AM
One of my pet peeves is parents that let thier children run amok all over the store and let their kids tear up the store.

On a similar note, I was considering studying at the local library but decided against it due to the little 2-year-olds running amok throughout. I asked the library is this is common, in which she responded with: they 2 years old, what exactly do you want me to do?'

My response: Tell the parents to reel in their kids. This is a library. When did it become fashionable to allow parents to ignore their out of control screaming kids in the library. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

Librarian just gave me attitude. I was amazed. Mind you, there were at least 8 of these little rugrats in this place.

Needless to say, i don't go to the library. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

emblasochist
06-23-2009, 10:33 AM
That's quite ridiculous. Even the public libraries here in my county have children rooms for them to be children. They have also been known to take away a parent's library card for a month when they don't watch their kids. I think that as well as the fact that few parents in my area actually go to the library when they have small children makes a difference to the libraries here...

tesral
06-23-2009, 12:32 PM

My response: Tell the parents to reel in their kids. This is a library. When did it become fashionable to allow parents to ignore their out of control screaming kids in the library. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

Librarian just gave me attitude. I was amazed. Mind you, there were at least 8 of these little rugrats in this place.

Needless to say, i don't go to the library. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

It doesn't take many. My wife and I cut a formerly pleasant lunch short due to the arrival of an alleged mother and her out of control brood, including one with a whistle he was simply allowed to blow. She just complained she was cold and totally ignored the antics of her rug rats. She actually walked right past them screaming and cavorting in the restaurant lobby to get a sweater from her car.

emblasochist
06-23-2009, 12:47 PM
It doesn't take many. My wife and I cut a formerly pleasant lunch short due to the arrival of an alleged mother and her out of control brood, including one with a whistle he was simply allowed to blow. She just complained she was cold and totally ignored the antics of her rug rats. She actually walked right past them screaming and cavorting in the restaurant lobby to get a sweater from her car.

Sounds like the mother needed a father-figure to get set her straight. :p

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-23-2009, 12:53 PM
I see this detestable behavior more and more. :confused:

emblasochist
06-23-2009, 01:06 PM
I see this detestable behavior more and more. :confused:

I'm all for public spankings, or tar and feathering irresponsible parents...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm all for public spankings, or tar and feathering irresponsible parents...
I'll sign that petition!

emblasochist
06-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Something tells me you'd have voted for Jello Biafra for mayor of San Francisco if that was an option for you...

His platform included unconventional points such as forcing businessmen to wear clown suits within city limits, erecting statues of Dan White all over town and allowing the parks department to sell eggs and tomatoes with which people could pelt them, and a citywide ban on cars (although the latter point was not considered abnormal by many voters at the time, as the city was suffering from serious pollution problems). Biafra has expressed irritation that these parts of his platform attained such notoriety, preferring instead to be remembered for serious proposals such as legalizing squatting in vacant, tax-delinquent buildings and requiring police officers to keep their jobs by running for election voted on by the people of the neighborhoods they patrol.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Something tells me you'd have voted for Jello Biafra for mayor of San Francisco if that was an option for you... He ran on the platform that every government official in the city had to wear chicken suits to work, and I think he got something like 37% of the vote.
Never heard of him, but i just moved up here not to long ago. The 37% doesn't surprise me, though.

Even though the world would benefit from Thoth's wisdom and advice regarding politics, he would never consider himself to be political. Life is to short for that nonsense. :rolleyes:

Genesplicer
06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
A few years ago was unpleasantly surprised with the loss of a favorite radio station. It was litteraly one day to the next. Get up, get in car to go to school, turn on radio, listen to hard rock. Next day: Get up, get in car, turn on radio, spanish mariochie music. WTF!! :shocked: There were no warnign anouncements (like hey this radio station will be folding in a few days, good bye to our listners), no explinations... It did not make me happy.

emblasochist
06-23-2009, 02:40 PM
That exact thing happened in my area 4 times in the course of a year I think. Trust me, it sucked. Whats worse is its happening all over the country. And the stations aren't forced to say anything about it before it happens.

Dytrrnikl
06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
I love my wife, but sometimes she really pisses me off. For about two weeks prior to this last weekend, she was all about me spending time with my friends. Well, Saturday rolls around, I get my friends over for a night of gaming...played from about 6pm to 1am. My wife's plans fell through, so she had nothing to do. When we took a break about half way through the night, she was all huffy with me when I didn't just end things so i could spend the evening with her. Asking her to game is pointless...she sees it as a worthless hobby but supports my interest in it. Anyway, I wake up Sunday morning only to find I'm in the dog house because I spent time with my friends and not with her. How in the hell is it my fault that her plans fell through? Another lesson why logic and woman are like oil and water.

tesral
06-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Sounds like the mother needed a father-figure to get set her straight. :p

Oh dad was there. Or do you me she needed a Father to set her straight?

Requiring police officers to keep their jobs by running for election voted on by the people of the neighborhoods they patrol.

Hey he nearly has my vote on that point alone. Cops need ot remember who they work for. I've seen too many examples of then working agiasnt everyone but the cops. Badgitis is what I call it.

Another lesson why logic and woman are like oil and water.

I married a logical woman, what can I say? My wife does not play mind games.

emblasochist
06-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Oh dad was there. Or do you me she needed a Father to set her straight?

What I was saying was that the mother needed someone to tell her to make her kids behave. On the dad issue, a man that took part in bringing a child into this world should know that he's a FATHER first and a dad second. A father's role isn't be liked by the child, its to command respect and teach the kid right from wrong and teach them to be self-sufficient. Mothers aren't, IMO, as bad at this, but I've seen some that are. I am not saying that I will be any better for sure, but I do realize that a parent has to be a parent, an not a buddy to their kids.

Hey he nearly has my vote on that point alone. Cops need ot remember who they work for. I've seen too many examples of then working agiasnt everyone but the cops. Badgitis is what I call it.

On the issue of police abusing their authority, I have to admit I'm rather naive about the issue because fortunately, I have never come across a crooked officer, but I'd be concerned about the officers that try to do their absolute best and one bad incident can ruin their career because someone isn't happy about the result. I am aware that there are crooked officers and that that is the reason he came up with that platform, but I would rather naively assume that the vast majority of officers are straight-shooters and expect those to screw his constituents to be punished by other channels than to believe the problem is rampant and that it needs to be resolved on a larger scale.

Another lesson why logic and woman are like oil and water.And finally, on the issue of wives, I have come to believe that women can be much more rational than men if you factor into the equation the emotions a woman is feeling about an event; the trick is to figuring out why she feels the way she does about it. Also, maybe its just me, but spouses do not give each other carte blanche for anything; she may have suggested you have a good time with your friends, but unfortunately, if her plans fall through, you have only two options that do not involve her getting mad at you that I can see. The first is to have her join the game so she's not forced to find something else to do, or tell the guys (and gals) that you are sorry but that you'll have to play another time, and that often sucks, especially when its at your house, because you have to kick them out, or do something the wife would enjoy too...

tesral
06-23-2009, 10:14 PM
How in the hell is it my fault that her plans fell through? Another lesson why logic and woman are like oil and water.

BTW, I mentioned this to my wife, she agrees with me, your wife was being unreasonable. From a woman married 16 years.

Dytrrnikl
06-24-2009, 04:06 AM
...the trick is to figuring out why she feels the way she does about it. Also, maybe its just me, but spouses do not give each other carte blanche for anything...

Oh, I know why she feels the way she does...two of her closest friends live in other parts of the country - Alabama and Oregon, while the thrid lives in the area, but just gave birth to her 2nd child and is pursuing a masters in some sort of sociology field. I have the misfortune of being her main social outlet. She does not enjoy, appreciate, or remotely like the girlfriends and spouses of my friends. As for the second part about not giving carte blanche, I give my wife carte blanche with anything she wants, except when it's something I feel strongly about, which doesn't happen very often. The bright nearly flourescent green dining room color scheme and deep plum purple bathroom being two of the most recent examples.

I married a logical woman, what can I say? My wife does not play mind games.

Oh, she's logical, except where I am concerned. Then logic flies the coupe.

BTW, I mentioned this to my wife, she agrees with me, your wife was being unreasonable.

First, thank you and your wife for seeing it. Second, she finally apologized to me for getting crabby about it yesterday once she got home from work. I quote, "I knew I was doing...knew I was wrong, but I couldn't stop myself. I'm sorry." Followed up by a very nice evening.

tesral
06-24-2009, 08:56 AM
[quote=Dytrrnikl;87551] The bright nearly flourescent green dining room color scheme and deep plum purple bathroom being two of the most recent examples.</quote>

I'm pretty easy about decoration. But yea "Dear, I have to go through that room with my eyes open."

Usually I listen to her selling me on something when she is really selling herself.

Her: "What about cornflower blue in the kitchen?"
Me: "Fine"
Her: "I think cornflower blue would be a good color, not too strong but with a definite tint to it."
Me "Fine."
Her: "It would set the kitchen apart without clashing with the rest of the house and will be easy to decorate with.
Me: "Fine."

And so forth.

The only room I was firm about color was this one, my computer room in which I spend the majority of my day.

Me: "Yellow."
She: How about a nice..."
Me: "Yellow."

It is yellow BTW, a nice pale yellow.

Bob the Dalek
06-25-2009, 02:29 AM
I saw Transformers 2. Now I have insomnia. I'm afraid bad editing will get me in my sleep.

emblasochist
06-25-2009, 06:54 AM
I saw Transformers 2. Now I have insomnia. I'm afraid bad editing will get me in my sleep.

It was that bad? I loved the first, even though it only had the semblance of following the story of the Transformers coming to Earth. I thought the first one was redeemed by the fact that it was a good action movie if nothing else. Can the same be said about Revenge of the Fallen?

Panthro82
06-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I just said it on another thread but I really hate when people replace a word cause it is "Taboo". like cripple or retarded. Then in a few years the word that replaced them will be taboo. People are too sensitive...

emblasochist
06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
I just said it on another thread but I really hate when people replace a word cause it is "Taboo". like cripple or retarded. Then in a few years the word that replaced them will be taboo. People are too sensitive...

The word is not sensitive; the word is stupid; or fickle.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Sure are. Pretty soon we will all be forced to go the way of Prince, get rid of names altogether, and not be allowed to define anything anymore.

Sure it's ridiculous, but so are the sensitives that decide for others which words are offensive and which are not. And you're right, Panthro82... we will be forced to cycle in new words in a few years.

Ugh!

tesral
06-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Politically Correct: A policy of offending someone right in front of you in order to avoid offending some that isn't even there.

I belive that is what you were looking for.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Politically Correct: A policy of offending someone right in front of you in order to avoid offending some that isn't even there.

I belive that is what you were looking for.
That does explain it perfectly, tesral.

Panthro82
06-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I have a nephew that is autistic. The word that used to describe autistic people was retard. Then that became a swear so they changed it to handicapped, but that also became taboo and now it is autistic. Seriously lets just cut the edges off of all words and be a society of wimps lol. Whats next? Autistic will be a taboo word in 50 years so people will call them smifflars or diddlescrimpets and those words will become taboo as well. All it is is people running away from the truth or sugar coating what something really is.

Sascha
06-25-2009, 11:46 AM
"But, when it comes to changing the language, I think they make some good points, because we do think in language and so the quality of our thoughts and ideas could only be as good as the quality of our language."
- George Carlin, "Doin' It Again"/Parental Advisory, Explicit Lyrics (1990)

emblasochist
06-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Well, duh. But some things you don't need to make it any worse... Like a guy that had his junk removed for whatever reason. That's like kicking a 3 legged puppy, you just don't do it unless you want to be called the puppy kicker...

Arkhemedes
06-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah, kind of hard to come up with a PC term for "kicker of three-legged puppies." But that's probably a good thing.

emblasochist
06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah, kind of hard to come with a PC term for "kicker of three-legged puppies." But that's probably a good thing.

Now, it's not as difficult to make a PC term for "the person that beats the erect walking dog"; he has the name Haan Solo.

Arkhemedes
06-25-2009, 02:48 PM
The thermometer in my truck read 109 today. 'Nuf said.

Razmus
06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah, kind of hard to come up with a PC term for "kicker of three-legged puppies."
Purulent Tripodal Puppy Punter

Genesplicer
06-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Groan!

Arkhemedes
06-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Groan!
Yeah, I wasn't going to go there. Glad you did.

Genesplicer
06-25-2009, 08:08 PM
It was one of those "someone had to do it" things.

Arkhemedes
06-25-2009, 08:24 PM
It was one of those "someone had to do it" things.
Yeah, I hear ya. It's a tough job. But someone has to put a stop to the inanity. (There's a word I don't use every day.)

Genesplicer
06-25-2009, 08:47 PM
I was unpleasantly surprised when I realized that this thread is on its 4th page, while the pleasantly surprised thread has yet to break 1. I hadden't realized things had gotten that bad out there.

tesral
06-25-2009, 09:01 PM
I was unpleasantly surprised when I realized that this thread is on its 4th page, while the pleasantly surprised thread has yet to break 1. I hadn't realized things had gotten that bad out there.

Yea, people don't have the time or money to be happy. Most are so broke they can't pay attention.

Genesplicer
06-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Yea, people don't have the time or money to be happy. Most are so broke they can't pay attention.
Yea.. Wait, what were we talking about?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-25-2009, 09:51 PM
No idea, but i find myself strangely drawn to this thread.

Genesplicer
06-25-2009, 10:01 PM
No idea, but i find myself strangely drawn to this thread.genesplicer looks at thread creater, hmmm.... I wonder why Thoth is attracted to this thread... Hmmm.... Looks at Start of thread post again.... Darn! Just can't figure this one out!!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-25-2009, 10:08 PM
genesplicer looks at thread creater, hmmm.... I wonder why Thoth is attracted to this thread... Hmmm.... Looks at Start of thread post again.... Darn! Just can't figure this one out!!!
Someone made their observation roll i see. Great catch, Genesplicer. :laugh:

Genesplicer
06-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeap, I'm as sharp as a bowling ball!!! Err..Knife! I mean knife. I said knife right?

Angelus_Nox
06-26-2009, 05:52 AM
I guess it's obvious, but I was unpleasently surprised (but also kind of not surprised) when a friend notified me of Jacko's death last night.

Panthro82
06-26-2009, 09:03 AM
His family is starting to say drugs might have been responsible for his untimely death. Think about it cardiac arrest at 50. He had just had a physical for his upcoming tour and they said he was in tremendous shape.

emblasochist
06-26-2009, 09:10 AM
If I were his family, I wouldn't have had an autopsy done. I wouldn't want to know that the reason he died was cardiac arrest due to drugs. I'd rather believe that it was a fluke heart attack.

Panthro82
06-26-2009, 09:13 AM
I think with the level of fame he had, they want to make sure no foul play was involved and they probably just want closure. No matter how much the closure costs them mentally.

emblasochist
06-26-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry but I don't think that the family will have closure for a long time now that they did this autopsy. The way I see it is that they do not want to believe that he was physically in bad shape, and had it done to rule out foul play, but what family would want to believe that their loved one died of a drug use? They won't likely believe that he used them himself, and that likely would cause them to jump to foul play.

No, I think that they would have had closure sooner if they just accepted cardiac arrest as the cause of death.

Panthro82
06-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Its tough to say. Once I heard drugs potentially could have led to his death I denied it. I was like, "This guy was like a 50 year old in a childs body. He had childs eyes when it came to life!" Then I started to think about all the crap he has went through in the past decade and thought that, yea, he could have very well been doing drugs to dull the pain. Think about all the crap he has gone through since that whole child molestation situation. Lost virtually all of his money, respect, fame, his home. Tabloids and media chewed him up and spat him out over and over. If I were in his shoes, I could see how he turned to drugs just to maintain.

Dytrrnikl
06-26-2009, 09:48 AM
That people are actually upset that a man who paid 20 million dollars to settle a child molestation case has passed away.

Panthro82
06-26-2009, 09:54 AM
lol I think the fact that he made Thriller(1 of the 5 greatest albums ever made) absolves him from everything else lol

emblasochist
06-26-2009, 09:57 AM
That people are actually upset that a man who paid 20 million dollars to settle a child molestation case has passed away.

I'm not upset about his death. I'm upset that there are people that can't respect that he's dead, no matter what he did in his life. It feels like bad form to me to have him autopsied. He very well might have done some evil things in his life, but that doesn't mean that you should throw a stick of dynamite in his chest. I know an autopsy is far from that, but when the death is ruled cardiac arrest, let it be cardiac arrest and leave it at that without cutting his body up...

Dytrrnikl
06-26-2009, 10:06 AM
lol I think the fact that he made Thriller(1 of the 5 greatest albums ever made) absolves him from everything else lol

Not for me. His music too me was akin to hearing nails being dragged across a chalk board, while simultaneously hearing the howl of cat that is having its tail step on crossed with a high-pitched scream - very similar to Adam Lambert's singing. :p

Panthro82
06-26-2009, 10:14 AM
I honestly think Adam Lambert would rule in a metal band. A band in the likes of Iron Maiden. It will never happen which is a waste of talent. His voice was made for metal!

Dytrrnikl
06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
The only place Adam should rule is so far out of ear shot that he's forgotten. :P
However, my dislike of his singing aside, you're probably right.

Panthro82
06-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I agree that he will suck at the musical genre he picks, because you cant take a voice that is made for one genre and throw it into another sucessfully...When I first heard him hit one of those high notes I thought to myself, 'If this guy ever makes a metal album I'll buy it'. He won't do that though cause IDOL doesn't have the guts to do metal music...

Oldgamer
06-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Okay ... I'm gonna fume about what's been happening in my life the past year or so ...

<rant>
December 2007:

I had been the vice pres. of a survey company now for about a year and a half. Making decent money and my wife was the secretary there as well ... 2 incomes. She get's laid off 2 weeks prior to Christmas.

January 2008:

My pay gets cut the $500/month vehicle allowance I had been being paid

February 2008:

I got an offer in Dallas (I live in Florida) to make what I was making before I got the paycut and they pay moving expenses. I put the house on the market and moved what could fit into a rented PT Cruiser and drove myself to Dallas and began work as I lived out of a hotel for 30 days. Leaving my wife and 5 pets in Florida to take care of the house before being sold, we were told it would be 3 months at the most to sell.

March 08:

Found crappy studio apt., and had to buy necessities like dining table, chairs to sit on, etc. More money to buy things we already have in our house in Florida. Spent a good chunk of life savings to do so: couch, tv, microwave, coffee tables, lamps, etc is expensive. And I'm sleeping on an air matress by the way.

Fast forward to June 08:

Still sleeping on air mattress that will occasionally lose air and find myself on the floor on a flat mattress anyway. Fly to Florida, move entire contents of house to Dallas and make that awful 18 hour trip again ... this time with 4 screaming cats and a dog. The house has still not sold after 4 months on the market ... not even a nibble. Job looks promising, the head of the survey dept. has his eye on my as his right hand man, a dept. manager under him. He even hands me work from another surveyor who has too much on his plate and is making mistakes. Tells me "no mistakes, this is political now."

October 08:

Moved out of crappy apt to live in nicer more expensive one that is full of college age kids who have absolutely nothing to do but party 24/7, piss out their back doors and puke out there as well while I have company ... not to mention the extreme music until 5 am. It also takes about 6 months to get my deposit back from the last place. And I'm still paying mortgage in Florida ... house still hasn't sold.

March 09:

Move out of partying apartments and finally into a house again. Florida house still hasn't sold 13 months later. We're loving the house and the life. At work a mistake is found that the previous surveyor made, the one they took the projects away from to begin with ... and I get fired for it 2 weeks into my new 12 month lease on the house.

June 09:

Still no jobs for neither my wife or myself, eating up savings very fast ... 3 months of rent and mortgage, utilities, car payment, insurances, etc with no income has that affect. We are forced to bail out on the lease in Dallas and spend +/- $1000 in moving back to the unsold house in Florida so that we have only 1 mortgage to pay. The house is in bad disrepair and in need of work with money we don't have. Money is damn near gone, we can live for about 1 more month before we lose the house and have $0 and nowhere to go because we ruined our credit by bailing on the lease. No jobs, no one I talk to within 50 miles of me is hiring. I call up an old company I worked for in 06 in hopes the giant that they are, are hiring. He says "yes, but only in New Orleans". So now I may be forced, if this job even pans out, to do it over again and move a few meager possessions to another small and crappy hole in the wall apartment and live away from my wife again just to keep from losing everything.

Forgot to add:

Dog has developed a giant tumor on her tail and whines and whimpers because it constantly hurts her so much

A cat of ours has an open wound on his stomach now that requires vet attention but we can't afford it, as well as the dog.

Our 2 refrigerators that are over 20 years old each went out when we got down to Florida and we're living out of a cooler and having to buy 2 bags of ice a day to keep food cold, and can only buy 1 day at a time.

And the movers didn't listen to me when I explained how to pack a truck and now I have 2 nearly destroyed office desks due to shifting on the trucks.
</rant>

Sascha
06-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Settling a case out of court isn't a guarantee of guilt, 'specially a civil case (which that was); the criminal case was tossed due to lack of evidence - no corroboration and the main witness (the kid) refused to testify. (Also, the 'truth serum' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_Amytal) that revealed the allegations is now considered mind-altering, and may lead to false memories.)

(And no, I never actually thought I'd be defending this position, but danged if the facts aren't compelling.)

I honestly think Adam Lambert would rule in a metal band. A band in the likes of Iron Maiden. It will never happen which is a waste of talent. His voice was made for metal!
Your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Panthro82
06-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Settling a case out of court isn't a guarantee of guilt, 'specially a civil case (which that was); the criminal case was tossed due to lack of evidence - no corroboration and the main witness (the kid) refused to testify. (Also, the 'truth serum' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_Amytal) that revealed the allegations is now considered mind-altering, and may lead to false memories.)

(And no, I never actually thought I'd be defending this position, but danged if the facts aren't compelling.)

Your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Lol I'll have to start this newsletter soon!

Yea I was about to say what you just did about that whole MJ fiasco. They never proved him guilty. He payed them off in the civil case because dragging the case on was gonna not only cost him more money then the payout, but keep the subject current which was only hurting his image more and more each day. Imagine being innocent of something and the whole world is crucifying you for it, and your image is ruined even though there is no proof you did anything and you know for a fact you aren't guilty. I'm not saying he was innocent, but there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that he is guilty either. The whole case smelled to me like mommy and daddy got money signs in their eyes and decided to exploit their child and wrongfully acuse an innocent man because he was rich and famous. MJ may have been pretty sketchy in the later years, but no one deserves their name being dragged through the mud like that.

Arkhemedes
06-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Think I'll have to pass on that newsletter.

Panthro82
06-27-2009, 03:38 AM
Think I'll have to pass on that newsletter.

yea its a silly newsletter anyways.