PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone doing 4th of July weekend?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-08-2009, 10:26 AM
The 4th of July is less than a month away, so if you're planning to take a flight out, better lock in those seats quick.

If i was down south (Southern California), I'd probably being going to the Chili Cook off, always a fun thing. Good food, and plenty of beautiful women wearing almost nothing...temp is around 110+.

As for me, i have a couple of options:

1) As it is, there a chance of me flying out to Padre Island and hanging out with friends and family for a week. If i do go, i need to lock in those airline tickets now to save money and to insure a seat on the plane.
2) Hanging out with friends down south, check out their shows(they are in a band), then watch a marathon weekend of Twilight Zone, and eating BBQ. Been meanign it do it every year, perhaps this time it will happen.
3) Otherwise, perhaps be boring, travel nowhere, and go see any good movie releases for that weekend.

Okay, I've shared. What share you?

Sascha
06-08-2009, 12:18 PM
There was talk of a ginormous family reunion here over that weekend, but I'm not sure it's still on, heh; with this group, it's hard to tell what's going to happen until it happens :P

mrken
06-08-2009, 12:32 PM
There is talk of a Lord of the Ring movie marathon here at my house. Don't know if it will happen as we have attempted it a couple of times before. Usually get through the first disk of the first movie and something happens, then we get back to the movie and something else happens. Last time we did this it was eleven o'clock by the time we got back to part two.

We can't go out as the fireworks freak out our dog. Second dog who hates fireworks. He will crawl under the desk if I am setting here and stay there until we go to bed. Last year he tried to get into bed. He was shaking so bad I felt sorry for him. And the fireworks lasts until two. Makes for a butt draggin' fifth.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-08-2009, 12:39 PM
What's this? A LOTR marathon at mrken's house. RSVP, me. I'll be there with robes, booties, and a pointy hat. This is a dress-up party, correct? Should i being some Hobbit delicacies , like rabbit, cabbage and carrots? http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif?

Valdar
06-08-2009, 01:11 PM
I may be going to this:

http://www.currentmiddleages.org/antirwestwar/

It looks like a blast, but it's a long-*** drive from Seattle (8 hrs each way or so), so I might balk and stay home instead.

Oldgamer
06-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Hopefully something nice and calm like BBQing in the backyard with some cheap fireworks (tough to get the good illegal kind in Florida) and beer :)

MortonStromgal
06-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I may be going to this:

http://www.currentmiddleages.org/antirwestwar/

It looks like a blast, but it's a long-*** drive from Seattle (8 hrs each way or so), so I might balk and stay home instead.

No kidding... may as well drive to California at that point

My wife might have friends visiting from the east coast. Hurray for friends!

Baldwin Stonewood
06-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Hopefully something nice and calm like BBQing in the backyard with some cheap fireworks (tough to get the good illegal kind in Florida) and beer :)

come over to any street corner in tampa plenty of fireworks.

I think you have to sign that ole "agricultural purpose" waiver.

BrotherDog
06-09-2009, 03:05 AM
I just hope I'm not homeless by that time. If not probably just transform O2 into CO2, and rot on the couch.

That used to be a big day at my former job, but alas that chance at any kind of real future was stolen from me. I used to have a management position at a fireworks store on the Wyo-Colo border, so it were a busy day for last minute stuff. It's now another horrid reminder to not trust people too much. One of the worst days in the year, but at least it isn't Valentines Day. I hate that day more than any other.

Sorry aboot all the venting.

mrken
06-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Hey Thoth, would love to have you, but I fear the drive to Denver might put you out of commission until you have to leave again. lol And yes we do the dress up thing, generally it's for the game though, but sure, dress up. ;) And the snacks are welcome. I grill most weekends but snacks are good. lol

templeorder
06-09-2009, 07:47 AM
BBQ and Gin. Always a toast to absent friends.

Oldgamer
06-09-2009, 11:36 AM
come over to any street corner in tampa plenty of fireworks.

I think you have to sign that ole "agricultural purpose" waiver.

Yeah, most of the time we watch the neighbors fireworks. They light 'em up before the city's show and are nearly as good. When I was a kid in Ohio, I would go up with friends of the family to Philadelphia and do the waiver thing and come back with $500-$600 worth of the good fireworks. It preempted my love of blowing things up when I went into the military and they gave me grenades :) I got paid to blow things up then.

cplmac
06-09-2009, 12:44 PM
The family and I will be on vacation out in the Poconos along with my parents. The place we will be at, we have been to before. They have lots of stuff to do there, to include activities for all age ranges. Will be coming back home on the 5th. We are curious as to what all they will have going on since it is the 4th.

Kaewin
06-09-2009, 03:51 PM
I'll be keeping the kids quiet, my wife will be in ADN school.

kirksmithicus
06-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I'll probably just grill and chill at home. What I would really like to do though, is drive back to G.I. Nebraska, get drunk and play with dangerous fireworks. That's what I did last year, and I had a blast. Nebraska has to have the least stringent fireworks laws of any state I have ever lived in. Every one in town was setting off fireworks at the same time. You couldn't hear and you could barely breath through all the smoke :eek:. It was great!

Oldgamer
06-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Every one in town was setting off fireworks at the same time. You couldn't hear and you could barely breath through all the smoke :eek:. It was great!

Sounds like Hell Week :laugh:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-10-2009, 01:58 PM
I've always had access to everything illegal, as far as fireworks are concerns. Problem is, i recognize the fire risks, respect the laws, and am pro cop(not to mention i would be disrespecting my police friends if i did anything illegal), so my 4th of July is as boring as the rest of yours(not all, but many). Besides, with Murphy's Law, 1st illegal firework i set off would cause a forest fire, and i cant do jail time. Thoth is just too good looking.

Malruhn
06-10-2009, 06:55 PM
I will be in Boston - looking for an apartment - and recovering from a huge family reunion taking place the week prior.

If you know of any good apartments (even studios or rooms to rent) that are on a main line into downtown, drop me a note!!

Umiushi
06-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I like the small fireworks: sparklers, smoke bombs, fountains, that sort of thing. I plan to be lighting them off all afternoon, evening, and night, with occasional breaks to rehydrate and snack.