PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Adventuring Environment. What's your preference?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Favorite Adventuring Environment. What's your preference?

There are so many, more than i will list, no doubt. So, what is everyone's favorite environment to adventure in?

Mine will forever be the Underdark. Heck, if i was a player character, i would adventure in the Underdark, for it holds the biggest mystery to me.

Some choices are: rain forest, forests, grass valleys, deserts, mountains, oceans, sky, space, dimensions, cities, towns, villages, and so on. See poll for a larger list.

Remember, be sure to list your reasons why? If you have a preference on seasons (hot, warm, cold, freezing, raining, dry, cloudy, foggy, etc.), be sure to mention it.

All rpgs are welcome. If you mention an alien environment, be sure to give us the details.

What share you?

Baldwin Stonewood
06-07-2009, 03:16 PM
I will admit it, I like it all! My favorite environment is the one that is currently challenging me either as a player or DM.

Sascha
06-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Cityscapes of all flavors, be they new or old, pristine or ruined, underground or floating through the clouds. Remote science/military facilities, colony ships gliding through the emptiness of space, and other instances of (semi-)permanent smatterings of people count. Also includes periphery, like mines and quarries and logging camps.

The why mainly centers around having scenery that begs to be used in a flashy manner. Chandeliers, for example, are meant for swinging from or dropping on opponents, not providing light.

RoryN
06-07-2009, 03:39 PM
It's probably easier to list what I don't like: waterborne adventures, airborne adventures, or anything that mixes fantasy and science fiction (spaceships, etc).

My favorite overall is probably the good old dungeon crawl where you never know what's lurking around the next corner or behind the next door, torch light illuminates only so much and hiding in the shadows can save your skin on more occassions than not.

mrken
06-07-2009, 04:03 PM
The manner in which I GM dictates that I use and like them all, but I must admit I don’t really like adventures in the deserts or Oceans. The world I use is already basically all mapped out already. All the land masses with the mountains and valleys, rivers and forests, everything. And since I don’t railroad players anywhere, they can end up anywhere and that is what I would deal with. The real limiting factor would be where I start them. I try to kind of keep them in the area that is sort of already fleshed out. 90% of the world is not developed more than the barest minimums. The ten percent that I play in is roughed out, with some history and some plot line pre-developed. In this ten percent there are major NPC’s and cities to some extent. The rest of the world is quite nebulous. Since I am a planner, I don’t want to go where I don’t have enough material. I also have minimal real life experience in the desert or on the oceans. So, those two areas would probably be my least fun places to play, but I would go there if the characters went there.

Oldgamer
06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
I prefer outdoor adventures, or away from cities. A city to me is where the group goes back and recuperates, talks to NPC's, buys and sells equipment, etc. Outside the city walls is where adventure lies ...

Panthro82
06-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Thoth you forgot one. Space! I'm not big on space RPG's but they have been around for a loooong time. (star wars for 1)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Thoth you forgot one. Space! I'm not big on space RPG's but they have been around for a loooong time. (star wars for 1)
Damn, you're right, Panthro82. Well, lucky i added my "other' option. If ever i get a chance to run you through a Traveller rpg(Star Wars, but shhh, it's a secret), i promise you, you will like space adventure. Perhaps one day we will meet up at a Con where i will be running a Traveller game.

Panthro82
06-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm not opposed to it. I loved playing Star Wars but I prefer to play evil characters in Star Wars games. I was a sith lord in the one I played in, but not many DM's want someone to be a sith Lord in a group of good players and Jedi. We worked together because I also hated the Sith Lord they were after. I thought I could be much more evil than him in his position(muwahahaha)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-11-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm not opposed to it. I loved playing Star Wars but I prefer to play evil characters in Star Wars games. I was a sith lord in the one I played in, but not many DM's want someone to be a sith Lord in a group of good players and Jedi. We worked together because I also hated the Sith Lord they were after. I thought I could be much more evil than him in his position(muwahahaha)
Playing Evil is always okay in my games. In fact, i encourage it. It's an alignment reserved for advanced players, afaic.

Panthro82
06-12-2009, 12:03 AM
that sounds enjoyable. If you get this campaign together let me know. I am rusty on the star wars mechanics, but I think it would be alot of fun.

Parzival
06-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Urban.
Competing interests and power bases, intrigue (political, religious, and commercial), a history, and secrets, all concentrated in one handy location.
What's not to love?

yukonhorror
06-12-2009, 11:37 AM
will always be a fan of dungeon-crawly locales. The mystery, the feeling of always being on your toes, and the danger. THis is just my style of play.

Deserts and frozen tundra are interesting for something different, but not a staple.

Razmus
06-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Okay -- all of the above.
And for 'other', I'll include other planes of existence, including the elemental planes of shadow, Hell, Abyss, Astral, Ether, etc.
I'll even include the icy vacuum of space, if provided sufficient support.

Above ground, below ground, in dark caverns below the sea -- they are all my favorite environments for adventure.

Malruhn
06-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I always liked forests as both the player and as DM.

As a player, I can be sure that there won't be a cavalry charge against the party.

As a DM, there are lots of places from which to launch an ambush against the party.

And I grew up in a very rural area - I loves me some forests.

Panthro82
06-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Razmus, I was just about to comment on the other planes as well. Lots of intrigue in those places...

Windstar
06-12-2009, 09:30 PM
No contest, though I have been a player in almost every setting, the Underdark is the place to go.

victim666
06-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Mountains are high on my list.

You never know what you'll find while crawling around on a mountain:D

Panthro82
06-13-2009, 09:36 PM
in mountains or on and around mountains victim? theres some cool stuff in mountains too!

BrotherDog
06-15-2009, 02:38 AM
How does one change one's vote? I accidently click one that I am horribly burnt out on and "sick of". I was also wondering why Sky, Space, Planar and such weren't in the choices? Oh, I guess that be what "Other" are.

;;D

templeorder
06-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Its all desert/steppe for me. Brutal conditions, beauty, horizon-to-horizon vistas....

I always enjoy when my friend, who is a wild life biologist, runs a game. Everything switches from the adventure happening at the end of travel, to travel being the adventure. One time, he sat us all down and said "I'm going to run an adventure so you can all learn what it would really be like for a bunch of city idiots wearing armor, hacking through the woods." No one ever asked him to GM a "realistic" outing again.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-15-2009, 04:19 PM
I do like water settings especially how non-buoyant platemail (with pcs) tends to sink. :laugh:

Panthro82
06-15-2009, 10:33 PM
I've always kind of liked the idea of being in a campaign that was pirate/ship sailing the open seas themed. I think there is a lot of interesting stuff to be had in a game like that...

Razmus
06-16-2009, 06:20 AM
I do like water settings especially how non-buoyant platemail (with pcs) tends to sink. :laugh:
I played one campaign for a while in High School where we'd decided Dwarves also had a density approaching that of stone. One dwarf in the party started walking around with inflated waterskins ALL the time while onboard the ship. (And always wanted to go AROUND the big lake rather than over it. :) I figured it was a ruling which actually had the desired player effect. )

Baldwin Stonewood
06-16-2009, 08:27 AM
I've always kind of liked the idea of being in a campaign that was pirate/ship sailing the open seas themed. I think there is a lot of interesting stuff to be had in a game like that...

One thing to note if you are doing a seabased campaign it is NPC heavy and dependent. In order to move, keep watch, and maintain a most ships you will need more than the 4 to 6 pcs. I would also suggest the book Stormwrack as supplement.

kkriegg
07-14-2009, 05:01 AM
Forests, mountains, rivers... mix and match any natural area. Those are my favorite settings. They have freedom written all over them.

CEBedford
07-19-2009, 09:18 AM
I voted Other because I'm not particular to any one type of terrain. I prefer to play in extreme weather situations. Rain, snow, fog, dust storms and even just a cloudy pitchblack night. Anything that makes visibility less simple, footing less sure and allows for great cinematic moments is perfect IMO.

Oldgamer
07-20-2009, 09:16 AM
I do enjoy a dark, rainy night bogging through mud ... uphill ... barefoot, with a horde of orcs behind me, and an army of hobgoblins ahead :biggrin:

Panthro82
07-22-2009, 10:33 PM
One of the only settings I really don't enjoy playing in is the desert. It just has never sparked my imagination.

Oldgamer
07-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I have physically played in the desert and I got the same thing ... all we could do is play D&D, fight, play football, or occasionally blow things up. Oh, and have insect fights! I forgot about those, scorpions galore and the occasional camel spider!

Panthro82
07-23-2009, 03:16 PM
I have actually watched videos on youtube where troops pitted scorpions up against camel spiders. I was entertained.

Oldgamer
07-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Camel spiders can't do a lot of damage to a scorpion, their venom works too slow (their not technically a spider). The big black Emperor scorpions would kill them in no time.

Panthro82
07-23-2009, 03:21 PM
yea in the videos I saw the camel spiders got destroyed almost every time. They also pitted scorpions up against scorpions which was interesting.

Oldgamer
07-23-2009, 03:22 PM
The funny thing is, the camel spiders tried to run every time ... they knew it was going to be a bad day for them :)

Panthro82
07-23-2009, 03:24 PM
I remember spending like 3 hours on youtube one night watching those videos. There are also videos from this Japanese(I believe) game show that pitted insects and the like up against each other and bet on who would win. I remember the centipede was a force of nature.

tesral
07-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Favorite gaming environment?

A nice comfortable room with good chairs and a table. Noise should be low, a fridge and a bathroom should be nearby.

Panthro82
07-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Yea you won't find those things in the desert Tes.

tesral
07-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Yea you won't find those things in the desert Tes.

One of the reasons you will not find me there.

Panthro82
07-25-2009, 07:45 PM
me either! :)

Clerical_Errer
07-25-2009, 10:40 PM
As a DM the most thrilling adventure I ever ran was based in a gigantic grave yard. The players were on their toes from the very beginning. Everyone feels a little strange in a graveyard and the players knowing they will eventually have to fight undead begin to feel a tenseness as they explore and find nothing. The best was the first fight, they had taken a lot of dmg from traps while exploring the old family plots and crypts and they finally found a way into the lower levels of the cemetary i.e the catacombs and they come across a massive still lake that blocks their path. A boat floats motionlessly near the center of the lake which looks up menisingly like a preditors black eye. The bodies of long dead towns folk lay in shallow shelves all along the massive domed room walls. The players decided what to do, so scared by the idea of there being things lurking in the water below that inky surfice. The low hp really helped also.

Panthro82
07-28-2009, 03:42 PM
cool idea

SuccubusQueen
07-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Currently we are on an Island Hopping adventure and our boat was sunk by a dragon turtle on accident (our captain had us run into it on accident) and we are currently floating towards our next destination on a large scrap or our ship.

Oldgamer
07-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Currently we are on an Island Hopping adventure and our boat was sunk by a dragon turtle on accident (our captain had us run into it on accident) and we are currently floating towards our next destination on a large scrap or our ship.

Lol ... that's one for the books :biggrin:

emblasochist
07-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Mine is wherever there be really good story and a lot of people looking for cretins seeking glory, err... adventurers.

Dytrrnikl
07-30-2009, 01:10 PM
I've got a bunch of players that like to set up businesses and other more permanent things. To avoid it, I keep the game moving from one location to the next to avoid that happening, as my biggest weakness as a GM is something my guys constantly hit me with - NPCs...not just normal interactions with Dale at the Smithy or Lara the serving wench at the tavern...I'm talking 2 dozen or more NPCs that they inevitably hire and have travel with the group. TO make things worse, they find a way to interact with each and everyone forcing me to have more than a name, race, sex, and trait for a description. Whoops, sorry for the sidetrack, essentially I like any environment which limits the number of NPCs with which the group interacts.

SneakSneakStabStab
07-31-2009, 01:17 AM
I picked them all because i like them all, but i like mountains, forests, valleys, and some city and towns mixed in the most by far!

wbrandel
07-31-2009, 11:05 AM
I have always been partial to cities for adventuring. after all you can have ruins, chases, mysteries, and a good dungeon crawl all while never straying to far from home.

Oldgamer
08-01-2009, 10:19 AM
I have always been partial to cities for adventuring. after all you can have ruins, chases, mysteries, and a good dungeon crawl all while never straying to far from home.

Makes the trip back to the Temple or Apothecary shorter :)

Drivvic the Southlander
08-03-2009, 09:33 AM
People tend to, I guess it would be, underestimate adventuring in the Desert. There are quite a few fun monsters that call the terrain their home as well as the threats of the heat and the lack of water. It truly is the harshest environment... in my opinion. I like to run Arabian Mythology-esq campaigns full of flying carpets, dijinni, and ect.

Panthro82
08-10-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't underestimate the quality of monster in the desert so much as get bored with the environment itself.

jade von delioch
08-10-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't really have a favorite. The one thing i don't like is dungeons. They tend to be long and predictable. Whatever your looking for at the end so why search rooms. just keep following the path and get to the end so that we can leave. Dungeons tend to be boring wastes of time

James Ruglia
08-16-2009, 10:24 PM
I think I like variety most of all, but otherwise I enjoy rocky areas, or places of fresh water. I dislike marshy places and actual "dungeons" or other dark/underground areas, with the exception of clean or crystal-filled caves.

Lucifer_Draconus
08-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I voted for three:
Forests : I like playing Rangers & Elven/Half-Elven characters.
Cities : I like to play in cities as I also like to play Rogues/Thieves.
Jungles/Rainforests: Haven't played in this one ,but i'll be the main area the adventures I will evetually run be set in my homebrew setting for RMex.

Oldgamer
08-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Jungles/Rainforests: Haven't played in this one ,but i'll be the main area the adventures I will evetually run be set in my homebrew setting for RMex.

I ran a successful jungle campaign a few years back, it lasted around 6 years or so. A lot of tribal stuff and dinosaurs and finding old dead cities crawling with undead ranging from simple to liches. Full of ancient curses, curse spewing liches (and I don't mean foul language) warning against tomb raiders .. .twas great fun :)

Lucifer_Draconus
08-19-2009, 11:50 AM
The one thing i don't like is dungeons. They tend to be long and predictable. Whatever your looking for at the end so why search rooms. just keep following the path and get to the end so that we can leave. Dungeons tend to be boring wastes of time

From the guy who's run dungeons numerous times =P Just giving ya crap Jade. I did like the one you made for Palladium Fantasy that was cool & the one in RIFTS was neat.

michael
09-05-2009, 05:31 AM
I prefer cities. i like the close quarters fighting, rooftop jumps, they always (should) have a dungeon or five under them.

Social and political intrigue, The city watch. All good.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-05-2009, 10:11 AM
I prefer cities. i like the close quarters fighting, rooftop jumps, they always (should) have a dungeon or five under them.

Social and political intrigue, The city watch. All good.
Then you would really love WFRP (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay-any addition). Check it out when you get a chance.

WhiteTiger
09-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Deserts... Deserts...Deserts

you can't beat a good pyramid crawl or finding a lost city. (think Hamunaptra)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
...just watch out for the djinn, elementals, and undead pharaohs, oh my.

tesral
09-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Tombs of the ancient, and usualy not so inactive, dead are always a good background. Time to pull out the ingenious death traps.

One of my favorites is the wall of the cistern. The builder put a cistern into the passage that leads to the tomb. They wall it up solid, and leave. Rain fills the chamber and keeps it full. Along come the robbers, they break through the sealed door and an explosion of water greets them backfilling the tomb entrance as well.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Always a nice trap, and a classic at that.

tesral
09-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Add a little fun. The useless wooden box that is a float. Water rises, the door out closes, the robbers drown.

Pellinore
09-10-2009, 12:27 AM
I voted 'other' for dungeons and catacombs. They aren't quite the same as caverns and underdark. Nothin like a good dungeon crawl...