PDA

View Full Version : Expensive Games $$$

Tamburlain
06-06-2009, 10:23 PM
That's right, friends. This is a thread to kvetch about games that you want, but aren't likely to get (at least any time soon), because they simply cost too many bones.

For example...

Pendragon and Nobilis are two games I've always wanted to play, but can never find any group actually playing them. Nobilis has mixed-to-positive reviews and looks intriguing, because of the high-quality artwork fronted on the rule book. For Pendragon it is equally hard to find a group running it, despite the fact that it generally has lots of popular positive support and good reviews online. So, someone's playing it somewhere, just nowhere near me. :confused:

I chalk this up partly to the fact that both, especially Nobilis, are pretty expensive. This frustrates me for obvious reasons. I mean, did they release a small print run just to drive up the price? Were they unexpectedly popular? Or, like the KISS comic books from days of yore, are they printed in the blood of their creators? What the heck? These days Nobilis is currently priced anywhere between $150 to $200 --and can only be found online (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270392120798). For a new unused copy, Pendragon's latest core edition will run you between $30 to $40, which, by way of comparison, is high-to-standard for other new White Wolf or WotC hardcover releases. BUT, the Pendragon campaign book (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120428472622)runs upwards of $200! Seems ridiculous. Who has that kind of scratch to drop on games?

Anyhoo, for anyone who plays Pendragon or Nobilis and frequents the the PaPG forums, I'd like know more about how the system compares to, say, Ars Magica, etc. Is the White Wolf version the best? Why the heck is it so expensive do you think?

templeorder
06-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Gaming is NOT a cheap habit, thats for sure!!! I used to feel like a junkie, but... i can go for a few days now without cracking open a game book. Every day i'm getting better.

Really, its all publishing and distribution costs. Supply and Demand.. plus whatever they think is a good profit margin - if not based on volume then on "quality".

Webhead
06-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Arkham Horror and it's (several) expansions:

Arkham Horror - $59.95
-The Dunwich Horror - $49.95
-Curse of the Dark Pharoh - $24.95
-The King In Yellow - $24.95
-Kingsport Horror - $49.95
-Black Goat of the Woods - $24.95
-Innsmouth Horror - $49.95

Grand total: $284.65 plus tax :eek:

korhal23
06-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Some games are just expensive. I have to be EXTREMELY enamored by the system to drop any more than 30$ on a book. I can put your setting in any game, so it comes down to the mechanics. Spycraft I recommend all over the place, and even though the hardcover is 50$ (softcover is more like 20-30 i believe), I love the system and with over 500 pages there's a TON of information you're getting, plus the extra books tend to be 5$ or less. Aces and Eights was also a steep asking price for the main book (I believe it also weighed in around 50$) but as a huge simulationist, wild west fan, and tactical game fan, I chalk it up as one of my better purchases.

D&D is fairly expensive... the three "mandatory" books total over 100$, and I'm looking at my pile of just 4E probably total approaching 500$, if you count minis and the fact that I also have the For Dummies book because the index in the PHB and DMG is painfully bad.

I also have an Eldar Army for Warhammer 40k that (as Eldar have extremely specialized units, you have to invest more in them than most) exceeds 500$ itself.

Gaming isn't cheap, usually. And that's sad in a way because, much like the success of the Wii showed, sometimes low price point can win the day, and I think it'd be much easier to get folks to try RPGs if they didn't have to invest so much in a hobby they might not like.

Conversely, game companies know people will buy it. All it takes is one, and that one person can "sell" the game to a handful of friends. If it goes well, people will buy more supplements to get the powers and feats and talents and advantages they want. Name me a system you own the core book to that, if there are any available, you don't have at least one supplement for and you'll see what I mean.

tesral
06-07-2009, 03:56 AM
Anymore I get sticker shock waking passed the LGS. Yea I know things have gotten more expensive as the years pass, but it is a 350% increase in the price of the Monster Manual for example from the first one.

MortonStromgal
06-07-2009, 12:04 PM
The Cadwallen book was horribly expensive, but very pretty. Dark Ages Vampire I bought 4 times though. I bought 3 regular editions all of which the bindings came apart so I finally broke down and bought a limited edition :D

Mindbomb
06-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Ptolus, jeez I want that so bad....

Warhammer/40k

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Arkham Horror and it's (several) expansions:

Arkham Horror - $59.95
-The Dunwich Horror - $49.95
-Curse of the Dark Pharoh - $24.95
-The King In Yellow - $24.95
-Kingsport Horror - $49.95
-Black Goat of the Woods - $24.95
-Innsmouth Horror - $49.95

Grand total: $284.65 plus tax :eek:
I've heard nothing but good things about this game, including that it can even be played single player. It's definitely on my wish list.

mrken
06-07-2009, 04:34 PM
All games are expensive. The first game I started to buy was the original Traveler game. I must have a dozen, no, two dozen books. Then I bought into Star Frontiers, ehh, not too bad, what, maybe a dozen books. Then came DnD, ADnD, 2nd ed, 3.0, 3.5... I quit buying it about there. Then there are the minis. arghhhhh Everything is expensive.

What game would I like to buy but are too expensive? None of them are that appealing to me anymore. I been around the block a few times and have found what I really like is the role playing, not the game mechanics. In fact, generally the more the game costs, the less I like it. A twelve pound book has rules about the rules, that all have to be read, and understood before you can even play the game. Over the course of the last decade or so I have boiled down the games into very simple rules (if you can even call them rules). I reward rp. Characters go up in xp, not levels. Monsters can be anything. Information can be treasure. On and on and on.

That's right, friends. This is a thread to kvetch about games that you want, but aren't likely to get (at least any time soon), because they simply cost too many bones.

For example...

Pendragon and Nobilis are two games I've always wanted to play, but can never find any group actually playing them. Nobilis has mixed-to-positive reviews and looks intriguing, because of the high-quality artwork fronted on the rule book. For Pendragon it is equally hard to find a group running it, despite the fact that it generally has lots of popular positive support and good reviews online. So, someone's playing it somewhere, just nowhere near me. :confused:

I chalk this up partly to the fact that both, especially Nobilis, are pretty expensive. This frustrates me for obvious reasons. I mean, did they release a small print run just to drive up the price? Were they unexpectedly popular? Or, like the KISS comic books from days of yore, are they printed in the blood of their creators? What the heck? These days Nobilis is currently priced anywhere between $150 to $200 --and can only be found online (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270392120798). For a new unused copy, Pendragon's latest core edition will run you between $30 to $40, which, by way of comparison, is high-to-standard for other new White Wolf or WotC hardcover releases. BUT, the Pendragon campaign book (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120428472622)runs upwards of $200! Seems ridiculous. Who has that kind of scratch to drop on games?

Anyhoo, for anyone who plays Pendragon or Nobilis and frequents the the PaPG forums, I'd like know more about how the system compares to, say, Ars Magica, etc. Is the White Wolf version the best? Why the heck is it so expensive do you think?

Tamburlain, I love Pendragon. I have the original version and GM'd it years ago. Was the single most engrossing game I have ever GM'd. The players would be calling me up every day after work to expand their characters and the holdings and all that. They came up with coats of arms and family lines, manor houses and methods to earn money. It was all very exciting.

As for why the Campaign book costs so much money, I'm not sure, but mine (original version has a ton of history which I believe was researched by the author). If you move to Denver, I will start up another game. Actually, now that you have started me to thinking about it, perhaps I will get things going to run half a dozen games at the next Genghis Con here in Denver. Who knows, perhaps I might find half a dozen people who would like to start a regular running campaign here in town.

Tamburlain
06-07-2009, 04:53 PM
All games are expensive. The first game I started to buy was the original Traveler game. I must have a dozen, no, two dozen books. Then I bought into Star Frontiers, ehh, not too bad, what, maybe a dozen books. Then came DnD, ADnD, 2nd ed, 3.0, 3.5... I quit buying it about there. Then there are the minis. arghhhhh Everything is expensive.

What game would I like to buy but are too expensive? None of them are that appealing to me anymore. I been around the block a few times and have found what I really like is the role playing, not the game mechanics. In fact, generally the more the game costs, the less I like it. A twelve pound book has rules about the rules, that all have to be read, and understood before you can even play the game. Over the course of the last decade or so I have boiled down the games into very simple rules (if you can even call them rules). I reward rp. Characters go up in xp, not levels. Monsters can be anything. Information can be treasure. On and on and on.

Tamburlain, I love Pendragon. I have the original version and GM'd it years ago. Was the single most engrossing game I have ever GM'd. The players would be calling me up every day after work to expand their characters and the holdings and all that. They came up with coats of arms and family lines, manor houses and methods to earn money. It was all very exciting.

As for why the Campaign book costs so much money, I'm not sure, but mine (original version has a ton of history which I believe was researched by the author). If you move to Denver, I will start up another game. Actually, now that you have started me to thinking about it, perhaps I will get things going to run half a dozen games at the next Genghis Con here in Denver. Who knows, perhaps I might find half a dozen people who would like to start a regular running campaign here in town.

Haha, okay, cool. It's a bummer that Colorado is so far away. Like I said, I'd love to play Pendragon. Problem is, no one around my parts seems to run it. And as a GM, I already have a back-log of like 10 games that I own and can't find a group of players willing to play... So, if I made the investement, there would be little to no guarantee that I could entice anyone to play. :/

mrken
06-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Too far??? What do you mean? Isn't Texas just next door to Colorado? We're like neighbors!!! lol

Baron_Samedi
06-07-2009, 06:43 PM
I've got the set for Nobilis, both the Core book and the LARP rules...its rather unique because even though the system plays like a LARP, you can use the same rules set for just a sit-at-table system...i'm actually using the nobilis rules set and adapting it for White Wolf games, and hopefully going to continue it into a universal system for all games...It plays similar to white wolf...kinda like Scion, but bears similar feel to a game called Engel. Very etherial, free form...its has a lot, and i mean a LOT of complexity, but, has great potential...I've played it a couple of times, but here's the catch. You really have to have a balanced and trusted group to play with, it has the potential to get weird or at least awkward with a group you don't trust...its nothing lewd but very unique. Its been on my bookshelf for a bit...kind of a unicorn that i want to touch, but can't quite reach...as for the cost, it was originally produced around '99 by one company that folded, then picked up by another firm for the second edition, which then folded...and was supposed to be picked up by another party, but that was back in '08, so who knows? it sounds like a case of too weird, too different, to euro...doesn't have much of a market here against WotC, or white wolf...I collect RPG's so it wasn't much to pick one up online, but i've noticed that there are some beautifully played and written games that no one ever hears of...sad really.

Tamburlain
06-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Too far??? What do you mean? Isn't Texas just next door to Colorado? We're like neighbors!!! lol

You've gotta be kidding. Even Texas is too far away from Texas, usually. And Colorado is not exactly what I'd call a small state land-wise, either. :)
--- Merged from Double Post ---

I've got the set for Nobilis, both the Core book and the LARP rules...its rather unique because even though the system plays like a LARP, you can use the same rules set for just a sit-at-table system......

.......It plays similar to white wolf...kinda like Scion, but bears similar feel to a game called Engel. Very etherial, free form...its has a lot, and i mean a LOT of complexity, but, has great potential...I've played it a couple of times, but here's the catch. You really have to have a balanced and trusted group to play with, it has the potential to get weird or at least awkward with a group you don't trust...its nothing lewd but very unique. ...I collect RPG's so it wasn't much to pick one up online, but i've noticed that there are some beautifully played and written games that no one ever hears of...sad really.

Hey, in August when I'm a free man, I'd drive to Lewisville to play Nobilis... that is, if you're willing to trust me. ;)

Baron_Samedi
06-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Well, don't break out of the pokey on my account...it usually runs best with at least three people. I'm not sure where my dead tree is packed away at...i just moved, but i do have a scanned copy. Plus i really don't want to lug around a $200 book. I've had people steal my stuff...not saying you would, but it is harder to replace than a 3.x phb. Sounds good...keep in touch...:D

Oldgamer
06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Well I look at D&D being pretty expensive, especially for one who's played it since Basic. If you take in the cost of Basic, Companion, Expert, Immortal, AD&D, 2e AD&D, 3.0, 3.5, and 4e ... and all the splat books therein ... that's a lot of money through the years. 3.5 splatbooks are very numerous, I'm not sure on the number, but I'd bet safely at around 70+? At around $30 a piece plus the other editions ... not to mention additional features such as mini's (especially the pewter ones), mapping software, DM screens, dice, etc ...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-08-2009, 12:28 PM
There was an Age of Conan board game that caught my interest. But for around $80, i had to put it on my wish list.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the incredible space boards games available, ouch in price, but a coolness factor of 9.5. Even the board game called Eve, looked incredible.

Baron_Samedi
06-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Regardless of system, mainstream or indie game...Pen and paper or ccg...Collectable mini or wargame...i would say that gaming in general is one of the more expensive hobbies to have. It doesn't mean that the money is blown all at once, or gradually...it adds up with sourcebooks, dice, map materials, backpacks and other things to haul the stuff around...etc....for example if one were to procure all of the books for D&D 4e on the market now all at once it would easily constitute the price of a new video game console, plus a few games...and that's a system that only been out a year...think about paying full price for 3.x or a system like Rifts...and then paying full price...no wonder the stereotype of the gamer living at home with momma is so widely accepted...:D

tesral
06-08-2009, 01:54 PM
The most expensive single book I've ever bought has to be Hero 5th Edition Revised. A $50.00 toe breaker. Now mind you I paid $25.00 for it, but retail was 50

Freejack
06-10-2009, 10:13 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about this game, including that it can even be played single player. It's definitely on my wish list.

I'm a sucker for a good game and when I find one, I'm nutty enough to go get it and all the supplements. I've heard good things about the game, mainly on Board Game Geek. Plus my gaming friends here are pretty happy with the game (two separate groups). Then a couple of weeks ago we played it and I really liked it. I'd already picked up the main game and a couple of the smaller expansions. Since then I picked up the rest of the expansions and even called my FLGS to see if Innsmouth was out. It was and I stopped by on the way home and bought it :)

Carl

mrken
06-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Hey Baron, be grateful you are a gamer and not a racer. That is a hobby you need a few buddies to go in on to afford. lol I used to spend all my money on it, not just all my disposable income. You can't race if you don't put the money into it, and even then you don't necessarily come out a winner. And then you blow an engine.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-11-2009, 06:41 AM
I understand the new Paizo Pathfinder book that is coming out at gencon is going to run about 50 dollars but it is both the PHB and DMG in one book. It is a bit cheaper is you pre-order it though.

gregm
06-11-2009, 07:16 AM
I think mrken has it right. This hobby is cheap compared to many others. One of my other obsessions is High Powered Rockets. It is not at all uncommon for me to burn $500 to $1000 in less than 5 seconds. I have welcomed the low price point of game books, even the hard to find stuff.

Greg

mrken
06-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I think tabletop role playing games are a poor mans hobby. If you think about it, it could be a hobby that you spend almost nothing on. I mean you don't really need a DMG or PHB. Or in fact, any supplements at all. When I was a kid role playing games was not even an idea yet. Gygax was still a kid and Tolkien had written some obscure book that only a few had read, certainly not me. But that never seemed to affect my ability to play army man, or a swashbuckling pirate, or a knight in shining armor. Shoot, all of that pretend play was just warming me up for tabletop. Which can be done with a piece of paper, and a pencil with an erasure. Costs what, twenty-five cents, fifty cents maybe?

Then you got people like us. Take a simple game and complicate it way up. :lol:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-11-2009, 09:34 AM
DnD is like scuba diving. Once you have the expensive equipment, it really is a cheap hobby to have, giving you years and years of enjoyment.

Harwel
06-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I think tabletop role playing games are a poor mans hobby. If you think about it, it could be a hobby that you spend almost nothing on. I mean you don't really need a DMG or PHB. Or in fact, any supplements at all. When I was a kid role playing games was not even an idea yet. Gygax was still a kid and Tolkien had written some obscure book that only a few had read, certainly not me. But that never seemed to affect my ability to play army man, or a swashbuckling pirate, or a knight in shining armor. Shoot, all of that pretend play was just warming me up for tabletop. Which can be done with a piece of paper, and a pencil with an erasure. Costs what, twenty-five cents, fifty cents maybe?

Then you got people like us. Take a simple game and complicate it way up. :lol:

I agree with this. Gaming in and of itself it pretty inexpensive. Go to your FLGS or online and get an idea of a game system you like. Buy the core rules and modify if needed. If you have time, make your own game, even cheaper. Get some dice, pen and paper, and you're good to go.

Now collecting RPG books, that can get fairly expensive.

cplmac
06-11-2009, 10:44 AM
DnD is like scuba diving. Once you have the expensive equipment, it really is a cheap hobby to have, giving you years and years of enjoyment.

Yes, that is what makes this hobby so nice. Granted, the initial price of a couple of books may be high, but at least you get to use them over and over, again and again. Another reason why we games of all editions running, no matter if it D&D, Sci-Fi, or whatever genre.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-11-2009, 10:55 AM
We, as gamers, recognize the value of games. It's our hobby after all.

Truth be told, if dnd disappeared tomorrow, and if i was given a couple of days, i could design out a great rpg. Over time, and with every game date, it would be added to, expanded, and further perfected. My rules could even cross over to other genres.

That's what makes gamers and rpgs so great, our ability to create and evolve. I know of no gamer that couldn't do this. We, as gamers, truly are a cut above the rest of society, and we spend our hard earned cash because we want to, not because we need to, or even have to.

Oldgamer
06-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Same thing with skydiving. It's gonna cost you (if you don't have enough military jumps logged like I did) about $1200 in training for 8 jumps with instructors. About $100 for the cheapest altimeter, $300 for a jumpsuit (used not new), $300 for a decent helmet, and about $5000 for a new "rig" which is your container(backpack), main chute, and reserve chute. After that it only costs about $20 a jump and every year you have to have a certified rigger repack your reserve chute, and about every 5 years or 1000 jumps, it's time to get a new $3000 main chute. By this time, your canopy skills are much improved and most skydivers go with higher performance chutes which are smaller and more expensive. But once you get going, it becomes cheap :)

Baron_Samedi
06-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Same thing with skydiving. It's gonna cost you (if you don't have enough military jumps logged like I did) about $1200 in training for 8 jumps with instructors. About $100 for the cheapest altimeter, $300 for a jumpsuit (used not new), $300 for a decent helmet, and about $5000 for a new "rig" which is your container(backpack), main chute, and reserve chute. After that it only costs about $20 a jump and every year you have to have a certified rigger repack your reserve chute, and about every 5 years or 1000 jumps, it's time to get a new $3000 main chute. By this time, your canopy skills are much improved and most skydivers go with higher performance chutes which are smaller and more expensive. But once you get going, it becomes cheap :)

True. Roleplaying isn't as expensive as most other 'Big Boy' hobbies...with gadgets and electronics and internal combustion engines...but i'm not exactly pulling down five or six figures at my job either...

Oldgamer
06-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't make 6 figures, but in the 5's when I do get a job :) Not sure how anyone could live on less than $10,000 a year these days. When I graduated boot camp in '91, I was making $749/month which was $8988/year, but that was 18 years ago when gas was $1 or less a gallon and average rent was about $400/ month.

Freejack
06-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Yea, back in 77 I was getting a bit over $300 a month as an E1. Nowadays, I'd expect anyone making less than $10,000 would be a student or something (as in, supported by parents). I'm not getting 6 figures but I'm also not in the low 5 figures any more either. With the kids gone and on their own, we have a bunch more spending cash. My wife can pursue hobbies (Mosaic and Stained Glass) and I can rediscover gaming. Win win :)

Carl

Baron_Samedi
06-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm not destitute by any means...i bring in about $1K a month after child support...but its difficult in this area, simply because for some reason when a group gets together for any kind of game, be it roleplay or miniature...they tend to fizzle after a few months...then everyone gets amped about something else...everything for the first game stops and all the players go on to the new game...they get bored of that...wash rinse repeat...in order to keep up you constantly have to buy new stuff all the time, and i don't have time for that...i'm not so hard up for gaming that i'm going to subject myself to that cycle...About the only game in town that's consistant is Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, but i'm not into dropping that kind of cash when Reaper is just up the road...
Plus an advantage to all of the gaming turnover is that there are plenty of good deals in RPG materials at the used book stores...:D

gregm
06-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Do Nobilis or Pendragon ever sell at the absurd prices people are currently asking?

I've only been watching these two titles for the last 4 or 5 months but have yet to see any move at the high prices. I did recently aquire a copy of Nobilis but paid much less that the current listings.

Seems to me that if people refuse to pay such high prices, they will not stay that way forever. Of course there are those that don't care if they sell or not so they keep the price high on the off chance somone wants it that badly.

Has anyone considered, or tried, purchasing the Pendragon book/s in PDF and having them printed and bound at Kinko? DriveThruRPG has the core book and the Great Campaign and together they would only cost $37.50. Even if it cost $50 more to print and bind them, it would be way less than buying even the core book at the current prices.

Greg

Harwel
06-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Do Nobilis or Pendragon ever sell at the absurd prices people are currently asking?

I've only been watching these two titles for the last 4 or 5 months but have yet to see any move at the high prices. I did recently aquire a copy of Nobilis but paid much less that the current listings.

Seems to me that if people refuse to pay such high prices, they will not stay that way forever. Of course there are those that don't care if they sell or not so they keep the price high on the off chance somone wants it that badly.

Has anyone considered, or tried, purchasing the Pendragon book/s in PDF and having them printed and bound at Kinko? DriveThruRPG has the core book and the Great Campaign and together they would only cost $37.50. Even if it cost $50 more to print and bind them, it would be way less than buying even the core book at the current prices.

Greg

I was just tracking a copy of Nobilis on ebay. It ended last night. The winning bid was $100.

gregm
06-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I was just tracking a copy of Nobilis on ebay. It ended last night. The winning bid was $100.

I was watching the same one. This is what I meant by the selling prices do not match the current listing prices. $100 isn't close to anything I have found on Amazon or eBay for Nobilis. Hasn't been any indication to me that the highly priced Pendragon books sell either.

Think I will just go the PDF/Kinko route for Pendragon. While I don't mind paying extra for rare items, I do have a limit.

Greg

Tamburlain
06-15-2009, 10:55 AM
At risk of sounding like a scold, just be careful of copyrights on intellectual property...

gregm
06-15-2009, 10:59 AM
At risk of sounding like a scold, just be careful of copyrights on intellectual property...

If the watermarked PDF is purchased isn't one allowed to print the material for their personal use? Maybe I missed something.....

Greg

Tamburlain
06-15-2009, 11:09 AM
If the watermarked PDF is purchased isn't one allowed to print the material for their personal use? Maybe I missed something.....

Greg

No, it was just a general caution, not meant for your situation directly. I personally have no idea how the pdf situation works from one corp.'s liscense to the next's. Surely I can print my own pdf that I purchased. (I mean, right?) But, can I then give it away to a friend?

And I know that is not what you posted as far as your intentions, but it's a context that often spurs the question in others.

gregm
06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
No, it was just a general caution, not meant for your situation directly. I personally have no idea how the pdf situation works from one corp.'s liscense to the next's. Surely I can print my own pdf that I purchased. (I mean, right?) But, can I then give it away to a friend?

And I know that is not what you posted as far as your intentions, but it's a context that often spurs the question in others.

I see where you are coming from now.

As I understand it, printing for my own use is fine. Giving either the PDF copy or printed material from the PDF to a friend is not.

Now I am no expert on copyrights so perhaps someone that is could offer some insight.

One potential issue I could see.....would Kinko print copyrighted material???

Greg

Tamburlain
06-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Lately have learned that the new edition of Victoriana is going to be over $60. Grrr.... There goes the diaper money! j/k ;)

tesral
06-22-2009, 06:38 AM
Lately have learned that the new edition of Victoriana is going to be over $60. Grrr.... There goes the diaper money! j/k ;)

I think that expensive game has become a redundant statement.

Tamburlain
06-22-2009, 07:46 AM
I think that expensive game has become a redundant statement.

You're right. It seems the middle ground has all but disappeared. Either a game is free (or practically free), or it requires a substantial investment.

I know that my bellyaching is to be taken with a grain of salt. It's true that compared to other hobbies, gaming is probably on the cheaper end of the spectrum. But I don't really compare it, per expense, to hobbies like sail boating or scuba diving! Of course, then it's cheaper. Instead, I can only compare the prices today to what I remember from youth. At one point, it really was a cheap hobby.