PDA

View Full Version : hunters of the dead

Manimal6
06-06-2009, 12:44 AM
As Ely's most trusted friends he seeks your advice once more. We know how to
kill the undead. How do you hunt them? Eventually hunter killer groups will be
attempted to be set up. These groups will have paladins and clerics, of course.
Mounted for speed? Hunt at night? Track in day? How do you rid an area?
How will a non elf see them at night?

Panthro82
06-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Rana: What do undead eat? Set up traps with flesh and dead animals inside, and patrol the traps during the day. Kill the undead within the traps. At night a good way (but one that would require a large group of fighters) to hunt them would be to track down one(or keep one imprisoned and bring it to an area) and cast what we cast the first time we encountered one on your estate (turn undead). Within minutes you will have a horde of them coming into the area. Another way to combat them once someone has cast turn undead would be to possibly lure them to the side of your property where the archer towers will be posted and pick them off. If we aren't near your estate we could dig traps all around us so when they come in towards us they fall into the traps. We could, in this scenario also position archers in the trees above to pick off the ones that make it through the traps. The ones left after that would be easily disposed by the on ground fighters...

Manimal6
06-09-2009, 08:41 AM
I like some of the ideas, but the groups will have to be small and mobile. Where do we need to strike to rid the problem for good. I don't want to hit the footsoldiers. I want to take out the head. Large groups of low level fighters will not be much good aganist vampires, which I suspect will be the key to cleansing regions. I do like funnelling them into kill zones. This would only be possible after great planning and set up. In a military sense these would be operations, and the day to day activities of the groups will be different.

Panthro82
06-09-2009, 11:58 AM
we could capture/trap some ghasts and interrogate them. They might have knowledge of where the enemy resides. They could know where the vampires are. Once we know where the vampire(s) lair(s) are we can destroy them with no hopes of regeneration.

Manimal6
06-09-2009, 12:03 PM
That would probably work. But, how do you interrogate something that is already dead?! Ely would in no way shape or form make any deals with these things. They give us the info and then they are killed.

Panthro82
06-09-2009, 12:08 PM
is it considered wrong to torture an evil race to obtain information to further the cause of good to prevail? I'm sure ghasts don't like healing spells. Plus if it is wrong perhaps one of us could slip and spill some holy water on them....

Manimal6
06-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Thou shalt make war against the Infidel without cessation, and without mercy.

Panthro82
06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
LOL. It is simply to cleanse the area of evil so that innocent people can feel safe again. I highly doubt it would go against any of our ethics...

Manimal6
06-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't think it would be an issue. We just have to be careful to not lose control.
The main part of the hunting groups is to hit hard, fast, surgical, strikes. Take prisoners only when necessary.

Panthro82
06-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I think we might want to target ghasts. capture them "alive". You mentioned vampires and it made me realize that if we start going out at night we could run into them, and if we dont destroy their lair then it is a losing battle. Once we find lairs we could employ the stranded helpless person technique. Have one person outside the lair screaming and acting distraught as if they are lost and helpless, and then ambush the vampires when they come out. Having a small group sneak into their lairs unnoticed and destroy their habitat while they are focused on the ambush party.

Manimal6
06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Ely isn't exactly the ambush type...

Panthro82
06-09-2009, 12:59 PM
So this means that Ely is devoid of strategy and tactical thinking?

Manimal6
06-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Ambush is not the only tactic one can use. There is a difference between funneling the enemy to where you want him and ambushing them. Funneling is a tactic, ridding the region of undead by surgical strikes to the leadership is a strategy.

Panthro82
06-09-2009, 11:50 PM
very true. I also think strategy in history most of the time kept the leaders out of direct harms way in order to protect strategy. Ambushing the enemy while keeping the leaders safe made it so the leaders could formulate a further strategy if the ambush failed. Many ways to handle this I just thought playing into the vampires desired settings(helpless stranded people) would play into our hands. Vampires are like tigers....they only want to expend energy when they have to. When they are given the opportunity to feed with little effort and energy they go for it. Knowing their routine is a gift to those who wish to strike them down...

Manimal6
06-10-2009, 09:59 AM
A good cleric and a paladin could never ambush undead or other uber evil things anyways due to thier Holy Auras. It would give them away at once.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Ely would be willing to offer himself up as the bait in the ambush. Wilhelm would do well to be with him seeing how he would be useless in an ambush aganist undead. Rana, Briallara, and Heinrich would be perfect ambushers. Walter is a dangerous caster as long as he is protected and has room to cast. But this would only be once in a while. Why hunt vampires and the undead when they are at there strength and we are at our weakness? Also a good point was brought up, if we kill the vampires the vampire spawn would be out of control. Which is worse for the populace?

Panthro82
06-11-2009, 01:17 AM
well once we truly eliminate a vampire dont their spawn die? or return to natural form? (I know in movies and books it is this way, but not sure about D&D vampires).
Wilhelm has a spell that can mask his aura for up to 24 hours I believe. Hunting the vampire in their environment though is the only way to truly kill them. Then we can destroy their lair which will prevent their regeneration. If we kill them anywhere else they will just regenerate and come back.

Manimal6
06-11-2009, 11:56 AM
When the vampire is killed the vampire spawn would no longer have a master controlling them. Hence, the spawn being out of control.
So, we hunt the vampires in thier lairs in the day. And then systematically hunt down the stragglers.

Panthro82
06-12-2009, 12:27 AM
we could do that. I would imagine once the vampires are beaten the spawn will be out of control, but also in a state of fear.

The thing with hunting the vampires during the day while they are in their lairs is it is very dangerous. Thats why I thought we might want to lure them out at night and go into their lair while they arent inside it.

We could also lure the spawn onto your property by setting a trap with blood on it or in it. I'm sure the scent of blood would be strong enough to lure them. Then we could fight them on our own turf...

Manimal6
06-12-2009, 08:32 AM
No way would I fight, by choice, anything amoung the populace. The point of building the canal is to take the fight away from Beckenhausen, not in it.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
06-12-2009, 09:03 AM
A little bird says this:
vampire spawn do not fear anything. They are mindless animals that are barely controlled by their sires

Panthro82
06-12-2009, 09:58 PM
No I didn't mean fight the vampire like inside beckenhausen. I mean lure them to the side of the castle that we have set up for combat. There would be the canal between them and us and archer towers and various pits.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
06-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Where and when (exactly) is this conversation taking place?

Panthro82
06-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't believe it is in game. Nate created it for ideas outside of game (I think)

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
06-12-2009, 10:07 PM
then none of it counts. It needs to be in-game or it doesn't count.
The canal thing happened at Beckenhausen, at night, after meeting Keiryl.

Panthro82
06-12-2009, 10:21 PM
ask Nate. Last time I talked to him in person he said his mom is cooler than yours...

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
06-13-2009, 09:09 AM
And last time Nate and I talked, we said your mom is hot.

Manimal6
06-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Seeing how she is imaginary. I can picture some crazy stuff....

Panthro82
06-13-2009, 09:40 AM
lol, she isn't just a fig newton of my imagination! Also Nate, where and when are Ely and Rana talking about this topic? (the vampire one, not the my mom one).

Manimal6
06-13-2009, 12:30 PM
In between finding the child and arriving at Yoland's farm.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
06-14-2009, 04:53 PM
So...let's hunt some undead.

Panthro82
06-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Game on