PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread



wizarddog
06-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Dark City: The Guild War

Chapter One



The bloody daggers were presented to the Guild Masters. Eight in all. Were it not that four were found the week before, the Master thief would had shrugged it off. But this was different. Four the last three months members of the guild have been found dead or missing from their assigned task. The Merchants of the City have become embolden as well. With the Guilds influence less and less a threat, the once prosperous protection money has begin to dry up. Even worse, the activities of the thieves have been less than profitable. Once rich resources of Nobel houses have been now secured by unknown means. Magic or guardians none have ever seen before (or lived to tell about).

In an unprecendent move, against his advice of his senior officers, the Guild Master turn to one of his youngest newcomers to the inner circle. The dashing Operations officer, Calloway was only a foot pad two years ago when he successfully pulled off a heist netting the guild a substantial fortune. Some level the young officer as a genius, other think of him as too damn lucky. Nevertheless, the Guild Master had put Calloway in charge of dealing with the recent events.

Calloway was never one to follow tradition. Instead of recruiting veteran thieves in the Guild, he went straight to the Footpads, the low level beginners in the guild, still training in their skills. Observing for a week the current recruits he manage to pull several from their training to meet with him in the evening. Some instructors were glad to be rid of the dead weight that was hindering their instructions, while others were quite proud that their pupil would be chosen for an advancement.


The evening came and the recruits stood should to shoulder in one the Guild Conference rooms (Calloway's office being too small). Laid out on a table was a map of a city intersection and various drawn pictures of a strange amulet.

The blond and blue eyed Calloway, nor more than your two year senior (relatively speaking) smiled. "I have an offer to make you, if you are interested..."


DM: This your chance to describe your PC briefly and you can respond in character. Make sure your stats are in the Guild Roster.

Borodeva
06-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Character sheet here:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=82486#post82486

Ayukawa Madoka
Female Gray Elf Wizard L1
5'7", 128#
Apparent Age: 17
Eyes: Light Blue, Hair: Purple, Skin: Pale

Madoka is a college-trained wizard with a wild streak. She's a child prodigy of immense talent with the arcane arts, but she's prone to distraction. After being kicked out of the Academy she turned to a life of crime, not because she's evil or greedy, but because it was risky and exciting. She's a maverick who resents authority figures and doesn't take her guild duties seriously. She's physically attractive but can be arrogant, bitc*h*y, and vengeful. Her powers are beyond reproach, however.

Madoka wears stylish form-fitting explorer's clothes. A polished longsword hangs at her waist next to a wicked-looking dagger. A slender composite bow is over her shoulder. On her back is a slim quiver and a small backpack with many pouches. She has an intelligent look and eyes that seem to peer into one's soul. She looks dangerous and ready for anything.

OOC Note: I've got the blasting and arcane casting covered like a sarape.

[Madoka shrugs aloofly and turns away, making a dismissive noise. To no one in particular she says with ennui,]
"I hope this is worth my time."

TheSmartestLemming
06-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Jack Casey stands in line with the others with an air of confidence that surrounds those who are sure of their lot in life. Clean shaven and well groomed Jack looks to be the type of man who keeps good care of his appearance.

Jack wears sturdy leather boots, dark leather pants and a dark leather jacket, with a crisp white shirt on underneath. Looking a little harder, you notice what looks like the collar of a chain shirt underneath his shirt. Jack wears a compact backpack, as well as a belt pouch. The pouch shares space on his belt with two sturdy utilitarian daggers.

From his pouch, Jack pulls a flask, unscrews the cap and takes a sip.

"I'm all ears." Jack says

Motioning to the others in line Jack offers the flask.


OOC: Character to come when I get home.

wizarddog
06-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Several members of the group snicker at Ayukawa's remark. Most recall the time in the lock picking test she grew frustrated and burned the door down. Needless to say, she was not the instructor's favorite.

No one seems incline to sample Jack's brew. Since he never really trained with the rest they seem a bit distant to him. He gives the impression he is above all the rest of the thieves.

In and all, it appears the group is full of outsiders and misfits of Guild Footpads. No typical officer would want to assign them to anything important.

But the gleaming smile of Calloway was all the wider.

"Excellent. Here is the Job"

"You are to Break into the moneylenders shop belonging to Felipe Norst. You must use the utmost stealth as the owner along with his wife and two sons live on the second floor.
Your objective is to steal Felipe's most prized possession, the Periapt of Vaas. It is a large engraved gem in gold setting with a matching chain. We do not know where in the building it is kept, but we do know that it is inside. You must complete the job within 3 days.

"Be extremely careful. We have reason to believe the moneylender is being protected by an unknown creature or creatures. Be very subtle in your surveillance of the building and do not let anyone know of your intentions. Return the item to me once you have it."

"In addition, I am wavering the guild operation cost on this job. Anything you manage to find for yourselves, you can keep."

The group look at each other in awe. Never would a footpad (let alone any officer) be exempted from the Guild Tax.

Borodeva
06-06-2009, 06:22 PM
"No guild tax? Interesting. Count me in," Madoka says with a wry smile. "So who here knows how to pick a lock? Subtlety isn't one of my strong points," she snickers.

EDIT: (now that we know we have a team to work with)

"I say we send a 'customer' into the shop during the day to check out the layout of the shop and maybe even scope out the whereabouts of this gem. Hey Bob, you're a face-man, right?"

[Madoka grabs the nearest charismatic footpad by the ear]

TheSmartestLemming
06-06-2009, 11:38 PM
With a small smile, Jack takes another sip from his flask and then puts it away.

"Interesting indeed." Jack says with a friendly grin to Madoka. "I think we've all heard about your methods of getting through locked doors. While they are quite useful in many circumstances, they seem as ill fit as a means of entry as my own personal methods."

Jack takes a look around at the others gathered by Calloway and asks, "What else can you tell us about the mission? Are we trying to replace the periapt of Vaass with a fake, or do we just want there to still be a question as to who stole the periapt after it's gone?"

OOC: Knowledge Local for anything Jack might know about the money lender, his wife, the age of his children, the periapt itself, as well as a Knowledge Local check about the others in line with us.

wizarddog
06-07-2009, 03:03 AM
Jack knows the Moneylender, who primarily work with middle class business and persons, moved the city three years ago. His wife is only few years younger than him. The two sons are ages 14 and 19. Anything specific requires he look further into their affairs. Jack knows nothing of the Periapt. The other footpads are known troublemakers and rejects, all are similarly the same age in appearance.

Calloway says to Jack: "Nothing so...complicated. Felipe is a smart man. He will know who is responsible. We just don't want him to know specifics."


The footpad grabbed by the ear swats Madoka hand away. His forceful backslap was pretty strong. He sneers at her in disgust. Madoka's reputation precedes itself.

Borodeva
06-07-2009, 03:36 AM
"OK, so what do you guys think we should do? (no pause to wait for replies) Well here's what I think... Let's send a scout into the shop during the day. He can pretend to be a customer. At minimum we need to find out the layout of the shop and see if we can spot any guards or wards. If we get lucky maybe our guy can even trick the shopkeep into showing off his 'most prized possession.' I think Bob here is the man for the job. (winks at Bob who got his ear pulled) We also need another team to case the joint from the outside to see how many people come and go during the day, what time the shop opens and closes, if there are times during the day that the wife and sons leave, etc. Another option is if we can get the shopkeep alone, I might be able to magically persuade him to show me the periapt. If I can, one of you lugs can just grab it and run! Hehe. Other ideas to consider: bribing the architect who built the shop to get the plans, bribing the locksmith who installed the locks to find out about the security and get copies of the keys, or just setting the place on fire and waiting for everyone to run out while we sneak in and look for the gem."

[Madoka smiles arrogantly and waits for responses]

TheSmartestLemming
06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
"That sounds like a good plan to me, up to the burning down of the house part. How about we leave that as our very last ace up our sleeves." Jack says with a faltering grin.

"We scout the shop inside and out, find a good time to sneak in, get the periapt, along with anything else we can find, and then get out without beeing seen."

"Robert, it looks like you've been volunteered to be our inside man for this mission. How about you and I scout the shop out tomorrow, while Madoka you scout the outside of the shop with.. umm... Samuel is it? After we get all the information we can for the day, we meet up at Mckinnleys (OOC: If this doesn't work as a nameing theme for a bar I can change it), and I'll buy everyone a round, and we'll all get to know each other better over the details."

"Madoka, about that spell you've got to presuade the moneylender to show us his periapt, does it make him forget his actions? If it does, that sounds like a great plan, if it does not, I don't know about you, but I don't want the moneylender to know what I look like after we steal the gem from him."

wizarddog
06-08-2009, 03:18 AM
The next day arrives and the thieves meet at the Moneylenders shop in the morning. The shop lies in one of the Artisan districts. The streets are littered with stalls of sellers of artworks, pottery, bead work and other crafted items.

The moneylenders shop is a medium sized two story, white washed building stretching 30 feet by 40 feet on the busy corner of Kingsreach and Devine. It has a large uniquely designed balcony just two steps off the ground level. The balcony is a large open area with three doors, a dumbwaiter, a counter, two wooden benches and an outdoor fireplace. Many small windows are visible on the second floor and five on the first. Three solid looking doors provide entrance from the balcony while another resides in the alley on the east side of the shop.

Adjacent to the shop is a silversmith and a furniture maker. Across the street is a large complex workshop for the local wainwright. All three look very secured with iron grilled windows and sturdy front doors.

From observation, one of the sons at the counter is greeting customers who are looking for money exchanges. Doors to dumbwaiter are open. A fire burns in the fire place.

Armed city watch with halbreds walk the streets through the crowds that move like a slow current through the street.

Borodeva
06-08-2009, 10:41 PM
[Madoka prepares Charm Person, Silent Image, and Sleep today.]

"Psst, if I hide behind that barrel there across the street and cast my Charm Person spell on the son, if my magic works he'll regard me as a trusted friend and ally. If I ask nicely and bat my eyelashes maybe he'll give me a tour of the inner shop and he might let slip where dad is keeping the periapt. The spell will last for 1 hour if it works, so we might wanna try it a little before closing. But afterwards he'll remember that he acted odd and that might blow our cover before we can complete the theft.

Alternately, we could just wait until everyone is asleep, pick the lock to the back door in the alley and creep around, but we won't have any idea what sort of wards or traps are protecting the jewel, nor will we know where to look.

A third option is to try to charm the moneylender directly and get him to show us the periapt. If we can get a few of us into the shop, we can snatch the gem and run.

Too bad we don't have a halfling. One of us could distract the son while we stuff the halfling in the dumbwaiter.

*yawn* Anyways, you guys got any better ideas?"

[Madoka finds a nearby alley that has a dead-end. If pursued, her plan is to run into the alley and cast a Silent Image of an empty dead-end wall to obscure her location.]

Anathema
06-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Göss draws the scuffed toe of his soft shoe across the cobblestone in an aimless fashion as he draws the hood of his cloak more tightly against his neat mop of brown hair. "Yeah, I guess," he drawls ambivalently. "That is, if the halfling could keep its shrill little voice quiet until the job was finished."

He cracks a smile.

"What about a familiar?" His head pops up from thought and his eyes glance about at the pack of thieves. "That could work too. Anyone got a little friend with 'em?" He holds his hands out with a shruglike gesture, as if to indicate that his own belongings are few and unassistive for this particular endeavour.

TheSmartestLemming
06-09-2009, 05:53 PM
OOC: So the building is 30x40, and has a balcony that extends from the building (how far out?, and does it wrap all the way around the corner?) Do the three doors look like they another public area of the moneylender's shop, or do they look like they go to other private areas (since it's a home/shop)?

Knowledge local: Other than the services that the son is offering outside, does the shop offer any other services?

Also, does the guard presence in this area peter off at a certian time, or are they just as present at night as they are in the morning? (Or is that more of an actual wait and scout the area kind of information?)


IC: "I say we wait and see what their routine is before we make a play for the item." Jack whispers. "Since the city guard have a pretty constant presence here, maybe we should change our scouting plan a little bit." Jack continues looking around to make sure that no one is listening in on their conversation.

"How about we each take a two hour shift perusing the various wares these street venders have for sale, while keeping an eye on the shop. that way we can hopefully keep interest in our activities to a minimum. Remember we have three days to do this mission (OOC: And this is day one right?), there is no need to rush in and do a sloppy job. If it does turn out that we do need to do a snatch and grab, we'll have to have a distraction to draw the guards away from the person doing the grabbing. Also, remember we get nothing for recovering the item itself, just from liberating other items from our target."

(OOC: Or at least that's how I took Calloway's meaning, please let me know if I am incorrect.)

Cardboard Tube Knight
06-09-2009, 08:33 PM
((OOC: Since I am late coming into the game I will be a late comer to little meeting too))

A woman burst into the middle of the group clutching a satchel at her side. She stumbles into one of the other members in a rather clumsy, bumbling manner. As she fought to get her footing she manages to stand up straight and shrugging it all off she put her other hand on her hip and sways her body to one side. A slow smile spreads across her face, "Hello all."

"I'm Cissinei," she goes on to add while swiping a hand back through her dark curls.

TheSmartestLemming
06-09-2009, 11:47 PM
OOC: CTK we are on the streets which are littered with stalls of sellers of artworks, pottery, bead work and other crafted items.

And since I was writing my post at the same time Anethema was writing his,

IC: Still chuckling from the Halfling joke Jack shakes his head and quietly says, "Nothing little birdies on my shoulder"

Cardboard Tube Knight
06-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Cissinei glanced around, "What are we laughing at? Something I said?" she asks leaning in towards the group to make her inquiry.

Borodeva
06-10-2009, 01:11 AM
"Jack's got a point, I guess. So no charm spells yet. *sigh* Someone should sneak into the alley and check the lock on the door, and someone should also try to climb up on the adjacent building rooftops and peer in the second story windows unseen. I'm not a very patient person so why don't we send Zippy over there. (points to a sneaky-looking rogue).

(After about 5 minutes) Ugh, this is boring, I'm gonna go get a snack. You guys check things out. I'll be back two hours before closing to take my shift."

OOC: Everyone should use Gather Info or Bluff or Knowledge: Local or whatever the DM deems necessary to case the joint, trying to find out the guard schedule, the staffing schedule/routine of the shop, who comes and goes from the shop (including owners), etc.

[Madoka rolls the appropriate skill check to case the joint.]

OOC: Mr. DM, what can we find out?

"Hmm, this looks dicey during the day. Let's continue our surveillance and maybe test our luck tonight under cover of darkness. Anyone got any brilliant ideas?

Ah, I just thought of something. What if a few of us were "big businessmen" looking for a large loan? Then we'd at least get inside and talk to the shopkeeper himself. We might get a better look around at the layout of the inside shop and see where the various valuables might be kept. Then we could sneak back in at night armed with the knowledge."

wizarddog
06-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Göss speaks and it startles some of the thieves. An exchange of money is handed. Apparently a wager had been made on whether he had taken a vow of silence. He suspects their may be more wagers.

Cissinei's arrival is not a surprise as she is habitually late to the irate of her instructors in the Guild.

Madoka rethinks her spell casting. She would have to do it in the middle of the street to reach the target. Casting spells in the street would draw attention. So would climbing a building in the day so that is not viable at this time. She does learns that the door in the alley is reinforced and locked.

The balcony is on the corner of the street. The rest of the 2nd floor covers it. (DM: I will provide a image--it's a borrowed map). The three door appear to be sturdy from this distance.

Jack knows that money exchange is small potatoes. The exchange of large coin for smaller deals in silver and copper for small merchants. The owner must set up meetings with other merchants to discuss terms of loans.

While smash and grab is a legitimate way of doing this, it is consider the work of amateurs in the Guild. It also can be...messy. You only get paid by what they manage to steal for yourselves.

The Guards in this section are more than you feel comfortable with should an incident occur in the day. Currently you are using the crowds to hide in to avoid suspicion by the guard. If the crowds move out and the vendors leave, you are more exposed till nightfall. At night, usually the dark provides opportunities to avoid guards.

Observation of the building during the first hour you see only money exchanges.
By the second hour you see the younger son take over the counter while the elder heads off to the east down the street. The husband and the wife have yet to make an appearance.

(DM Hints: Specific actions render specific responses. You might want to correlate your PC speak with your actions. Trying to do more in a turn actually does not speed up the game. The DM controls the speed of the game. Concentrate on what you want specifically. Don't rely on the invisible thieves in the background to do anything specific that you can't do yourself. Also avoid giving them names, eventually all will be PC's.

One DM Final Hint: Hide and Move silently are class skills for a reason. Not to say you can't do this as a scam or other method but be aware that if you get into a fight you might be outmatched. Besides running away, hiding is one way of avoiding people trying to kill you);)

Borodeva
06-10-2009, 04:49 PM
OOC: If nobody else posts, I want to get all the info from casing the whole day. Then, wait until 2AM when everyone is asleep, pick the lock on the back alley door, sneak in, search for traps, find the periapt, disarm the traps, get it and anything else nearby of value, then sneak back out. If we are noticed while inside, I'll cast Charm Person on the shopkeeper to become his friend. Failing that, I'll cast sleep on as many adults as possible. If detected and pursued, I'll run into the nearby alley that I scouted before in the earlier post, then cast Silent Image to make the alley appear like an empty dead-end wall. Once the guards are long-gone, I'll sneak away.

TheSmartestLemming
06-10-2009, 07:16 PM
OOC: I'm ok with what Borodeva has planned. Jack had planned to use the first day to scout out the place.

Good luck going it alone Madoka.

Anathema
06-10-2009, 09:25 PM
'This whole god-damned scheme is contingent on a lot of heavy-handed "ifs"' Göss sniffs derisively, but keeps the thought to himself. He knows the drill, and he knows his place. It's about being a team player and doing whatever is necessary to prevent an associate's harebrained strategem from failing in its entirety. 'Not an unbearable task, but so quaintly akin to babysitting.' He grimaces while trimming his nails absentmindedly with the point of his blade.

"No, no," he interjects instructively as Madoka posits her course of action, "I do think two sets of eyes and ears may keep each other alive better than one. And two sets of hands can grab a bit more than one. Jack should go with you." Young Hath slides the dagger into its streamlined sheath with a slight nod.

"Cissinei and I will prepare the area around the building for your escape." He gesticulates in a carefree manner with his index finger, drawing attention to the surrounding dirty street. "A barrel or two of oil or pitch should have ample volume to coat the ground enough for a lengthy burn." He raises his hands with a flourish as if to emulate the whoosh of the flames. "Yes, I think a wall of fire is a sufficient deterrent to allow to the two of you to escape unhindered." His lips remain static, though his eyes beam an effulgent smile.

"We'll wait until nightfall, of course, to set the trap. As soon as all the watchful eyes close with weary, we'll do our part. Do I have a consensus? His gaze flickers amongst the faces of his companions expectantly.

Borodeva
06-10-2009, 10:23 PM
OOC: My plan wasn't to go in alone, but since no one was posting anything I figured I'd throw out some kind of plan. Any plan beats no plan. I'm going to be on a plane IRL for the next 20 hours so Madoka will go along with whatever everyone else decides.

TheSmartestLemming
06-10-2009, 11:56 PM
OOC: Ok so we gather all the info we can during the day, and then use that information to break in (using a guild thief since I do not believe that any of us actually have open lock). Jack, Madoka and Guild Thief #1 will go in, and once inside the moneylender's house/shop, we continue to use the guild thief to sweep for traps. All three of us then sweep the shop grabbing everything of value while looking for the periapt. If we run into anything, we will try and use Madoka's magic to try and get an easy way out of the situation. If the magic doesn't or can't work, we subdue our targets (if they are sentient beings) and continue looking for the periapt. If we can't subdue the target we will have to decide what to do at the time.

Göss and Cissinei will guard our backs keeping an eye out on the street, and will have a distraction/escape plan ready if things go bad.

So basically everything you just said deva.

Cardboard Tube Knight
06-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Cissinei moved with her hand poised on her hips towards Hath, "So we're to create a diversion, is that it?" she asked "But a wall of fire can be seen, right through--we could just burn something else down, draw attention to that instead of ourselves."

When she thought back on her idea she guessed that it might have sounded a little insane, she'd always had a problem with her words...she couldn't stop herself from saying any idea that just popped into her head.

wizarddog
06-11-2009, 01:25 AM
The thieves decide to wait it out in the area.

Göss and Cissinei inquiry about oil and find a small barrel will run them 128 silver pieces (128 pints). (DM: Decide if you wish to purchase it and deduct the money--stealing it on short notice would be impossible.)

The others wait patiently in the area trying to disern more information. The elder son returns in the next hour. The younger moves off to the West down the street. He returns before nightfall and the vendors pack up their belongings and the streets become quite clear as the sun settles down.

The theives split off leaving Jack and Madoka to watch why they await the alloted time. Jack and Modoka do not observe anything of intrest.

At 2:00am they meet again in the shadows of the wainwright's alley. Two guards in chainmail and halbreds walk past the street and turn the corner.

Jack, Madoka, and a guild thief head to the alleyway and set the thief on the door. The thief starts at the door but can't seem to get it open in a timely fashion.

Göss and Cissinei, still adjacent to the Wainwright, notice the two Guards unexpectally returning. They seem to be arguing. Göss anticipates they will be move passed the alley way where the lock-pickers are located.

(actions you take)

Anathema
06-11-2009, 01:30 AM
The thin young man sighs softly, rubbing the area of his nose just between the eyes in an exaggerative and melodramatic fashion. "We are not providing a diversion so much as we are providing a deterrent," he says dryly. "As soon as our team is out, we light it. Anyone pursuing them as they leave the house is going to find that the street between them and their quarry is entirely on fire." With a shrug the cleric continues. "And if the blaze draws the attention to the house, all the better for us, the whom will be hightailing it away from the place."

Göss dusts his hands together satisfactorily. "Unless anyone has any other observations or questions, I think we have some important shopping to to do," he concludes succinctly, extending his hand to Cissinei.

wizarddog
06-11-2009, 08:13 AM
(DM Clarification and interupt)

Madoka and Jack cannot see the Guard's heading in their direction and apparently do not hear them as they are approaching. They have a light source currently for the guild thief working at the door who is too intent to notice things around him.

Göss and Cissinei are hidden well with their small barrel of oil and see the guards. Both are able to hear the discussions under their breaths.

Guard 1: "... We all ready checked this area...why do we to check again?"

Guard 2: "....Something about... suspicious persons...hear during the whole day."

They begin to make their turn on the street adjacent to the alley.

(Actions)

Cardboard Tube Knight
06-11-2009, 02:21 PM
The thin young man sighs softly, rubbing the area of his nose just between the eyes in an exaggerative and melodramatic fashion. "We are not providing a diversion so much as we are providing a deterrent," he says dryly. "As soon as our team is out, we light it. Anyone pursuing them as they leave the house is going to find that the street between them and their quarry is entirely on fire." With a shrug the cleric continues. "And if the blaze draws the attention to the house, all the better for us, the whom will be hightailing it away from the place."

Göss dusts his hands together satisfactorily. "Unless anyone has any other observations or questions, I think we have some important shopping to to do," he concludes succinctly, extending his hand to Cissinei.

((I guess this is earlier in the day))

Cissinei extends her hand, understanding what is to be done now.


(DM Clarification and interupt)

Madoka and Jack cannot see the Guard's heading in their direction and apparently do not hear them as they are approaching. They have a light source currently for the guild thief working at the door who is too intent to notice things around him.

Göss and Cissinei are hidden well with their small barrel of oil and see the guards. Both are able to hear the discussions under their breaths.

Guard 1: "... We all ready checked this area...why do we to check again?"

Guard 2: "....Something about... suspicious persons...hear during the whole day."

They begin to make their turn on the street adjacent to the alley.

(Actions)

Hearing the guards coming Cissinei tries to signal to draw the attention of the two working at the door. Basically, can they hear her if she is whispering?

If not she might have to get more active and walk over to them, but there's a third option she might take too...

wizarddog
06-11-2009, 05:44 PM
(DM: Because real time is the essence in this sequence I will answer post as I see them rather than await them all and answer in one. This will help disseminate information to reactions. In this case players should perform moves as much as a standard and move actions can take. Talking is free and is encourage to rely personalities. In situations where actions need not be sequential/reactive we use the standard post DM post)

Cissinei uses a Guild trick they learned by tapping her blade on the stone street. Being too slight for Guards to hear but enough for the thieves to recognize it's pitch.

Upon hearing the signal, Madoka snuffs out the light and her and the Guild thief flatten themselves against the alley wall into the shadows.

TheSmartestLemming
06-11-2009, 06:52 PM
I am guessing that Jack is included in the whole flattening against the wall part, since he is down the alley way too, right?

Actually, now that I think about it, Jack is the only character there who can actually "act" since Borodeva is on a plane right now, so...

IC: Giving off a silent curse, Jack finds as much cover as he can, and flattens himself against the wall.

wizarddog
06-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Jack notices the Guild thief left his tools in the door and quickly pulls them out. He quickly flattens himself against the wall just as the guards turn the corner and pass the alleyway.

One of Guards stops the other.

Guard: "What?"

Guard 2: "I thought I saw something..."

(Actions)

TheSmartestLemming
06-11-2009, 10:45 PM
OOC: Ok, so if there is any way that they can remain hidden from more than a passing glance, Jack will pray to the gods they aren't seen.

If their hiding spots are crap Jack will do something different.... Jack grabs Madoka and whispers, "Go with it!" Embraceing her Jack immediately asumes the role of drunken lover, and letting out a laughing whoop pulls Madoka away from where they were hiding and where the guild thief is hopeing to pull the attention away from him.

With a drunken slur Jack says loudly enough for the guards to hear, "So, you like it dirty eh Alice?"

Cardboard Tube Knight
06-11-2009, 10:54 PM
((seems someone had the same idea as me))

Seeing that someone was thinking in the same light that she was, Cissinei will kick an offer to the guards, that is if the group is unable to stay hidden.

(if spotted)
She will step out, drawing her skirt about to the front with her hands and wink at the guards, "Either of you lads looking to have a good time?" she asked, "Seems my mates have left me to play fifth wheel and I was guessing someone might want to see if we could change that."

She keeps her words slurred, being drunk is something she's used to although she's sober right now. In the back of her mind she's just hoping they won't take her up on the offer. Please let them be the dutiful kind.

Bluff
Cardboard Tube Knight rolls some dice

wizarddog
06-12-2009, 01:51 AM
At first, the guards started towards Jack and Madoka but when Cissinei comes out and gives them the offer they lower their guard in disgust.

"Damn whores" grumbles the guard. "Get outta here! Take your dose elsewhere! That's what the House of Lanterns is for!"

They await the two woman and the lover to vacate the area then move on, grumbling about the state of the streets. Apparently chasing down whores is not something they like to do.

The guild theif and Göss are still hidden as the three return back to their orginal spots. After a few more minutes, the guild theif unlocks the door with a click.

Madoka gestures to Jack to open the door.

Göss and Cissinei make sure the guards are not returning.

(Actions)

Cardboard Tube Knight
06-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Once its clear that the guards are not returning, if they are not, Cissinei will return to where the thief has opened the door, "I like how they assumed I was some sort of a whore," she complained in a joking manner, "We're upstanding citizens!"

Before the thief can open the door fully, she reminds him, "Make sure to check for traps."

Anathema
06-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Göss keeps his mouth shut. He's not about to run any risk, no matter how small the likelihood, of botching this mission simply to engage in witty banter. Rather, he nods to his associates and taps silently on the empty barrel whose contents are spread thickly over the surface of the street. 'I'd like to believe those guards are the extent of the resistance we'll meet tonight, but I doubt it.' He shivers slightly at the thought, then returns his focus on keeping watch.

TheSmartestLemming
06-12-2009, 05:13 PM
IC: Jack smiles at Cissinei's comment as he finishes dusting himself off from his tussle with Madoka. Silently pulling a blade, Jack open the finally unlocked door, cursing his forgetfullnes 'Damn it I should have brought a couple of black jacks.'(ooc: asuming that Jack has seen the Guild Thief check for traps.) Entering the moneylenders shop the hairs on the back of his neck begin to rise.

wizarddog
06-12-2009, 05:37 PM
The Guild Theif, sweating from his 20 minute pick at the door (had to take 20 to get it open), assures there are no traps.

The moonlight in the streets is dampened inside the building. The brass hinged door opens into a hallway 20' long. Two wall sconces hold unlit torches. Madoka provides light and Jack sees that four evenly spaced doors line the wall to the right. Another door, halfway down the hallway is placed in the left wall. The hallway ends in a brass bound door. The hallway smells of onions and vegetables. Madoka and Jack recall deliveries being made at this door during the day.

Göss pours the oil from his barrel in the alley way near the door. Most of it runs through the slanted street and into the drains of the sewers.

(Actions)

TheSmartestLemming
06-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Silently slipping into the house, Jace proceeds to press his ear at each door as he passes through the hall.

OOC: If there are no sounds/lights on at the doors the rest of this message will happen if possible.

Creeping slowly up to the brass door, Jack presses his ear up against it while motioning towards Madoka and the Guild Thief to come into the house and close the door behind them.

OOC: Which of these doors would go out to the front/buisness end of the shop?

wizarddog
06-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Jack listens to the doors but hears no sounds beyond them. He assumes the brass door at the end of the hallway leads to the patio outside. Madoka holds the light source in the darken hallway. The Guild theif notes that all the doors seem to be lock (Except for the end door which has the bolt locked.)


(actions)

TheSmartestLemming
06-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Motioning for the Guild Thief to get started picking the lock, and checking for traps on the middle door on the left. While the Guild Thief hopefully does his job in a timely manor, Jack starts to sniff the airtrying to find where the cooked vegitable smell is coming from.

wizarddog
06-14-2009, 03:16 PM
The Guild thief is quite sure no traps are present.

He begins on the first door but fails to open it. He quickly moves on to all the doors (except the end that leads out) but only manages to open the one on the far right side. He suspects it will take more time to unlock the other doors.

Jack is unable to determine where the smell is coming from.

Göss and Cissinei keep a watch outside the shop on the look out for guards. It is eerily quite.

TheSmartestLemming
06-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Sliding up to the now unlocked door, Jack motions for Madoka to join him, and for the Guild Thief to continue trying to open the other doors.

wizarddog
06-15-2009, 02:35 AM
Jack opens the door and find it is a closet with an array of well made cabinet drawers. They do not have any locks on them.

Madoka stands between Jacka nd the theif to rpovide light to both.

The Guild Theif manages to unlock the adjacent door.

Göss and Cissinei note some laughing echoing down the streets breaking the silence.

(actions)

Anathema
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Continuing to carefully and methodically spread the thick sludgy oil across the already saturated street, Göss motions to Cissinei with indication of some slight concern over the laughter. Crouching down at the mouth of the alley, the young priest takes a moment to listen to the raucous laughter, hoping to determine the number of individuals, the direction of their movement, and their distance from the thieves' position.

TheSmartestLemming
06-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Jack and Madoka begin searching the chest of drawers while the Guild Thief continues unlocking the rest of the locked doors.

wizarddog
06-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Jack and Madoka and search the cabinets, they find invoices and receipts dating back 5 years by their estimate. Most are almost ineligible and none seem to catch their attention.

The Guild thief struggles on the next door, cursing under his breath.

Göss listens to the voices. He discerns two distinct voices and the clanking of bottles. They sound as if approaching up towards the general area.

"Dimitri", says the first voice, quite timidly, "Where are you taking us? We've been walking for over three blocks."

"Ah, little man", relpies a large deep voice weaved with a eastern accent, "I have the perfect place just around the corner. Warm fire and wine is just a few more steps, I promise." Dimitri's response is followed by another boastful laugh.

TheSmartestLemming
06-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Having found the file cabinate to contain nothing of use, Jack closes everything up and continues on to the only other unlocked door avaliable to him. Before opening the door he motions for the Guild Thief to hurry it up.

'It seems his boasts about being able to pick a lock inside and out were nothing but hot air.' Jack thinks to himself. 'I hope Madoka doesn't start to get too bored or annoyed and start to handle things in her own effective, but messy way.'

With an aggitated sigh, Jack opens the door as quietly as he can, and peers into the unknown room.

CaptainShar
06-16-2009, 05:03 AM
A mule cart creaks slowly up the street, the hooded driver apparently paying no mind to the surroundings. She hums softly under her breath.

(Finally made my character. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=133230 )

Borodeva
06-16-2009, 09:00 AM
OOC: Hello all from the Philippines! I'm on vacation and won't be back for a couple more weeks. I'll try to check in as I can and Patrick knows my general plan for this mission.

OOC2: Madoka will accompany Jack into the new room, but she'll be looking backwards for trouble and much as searching the room. If trouble finds them, her priority is #1 Charm Person the moneylender to make him her friend, #2 Sleep all non-guildmates and hope for the best, and #3 Burn something very close to the house or maybe even a minor trash fire in the house etc. to cause an evacuation and a distraction. Madoka wants as much loot as possible and will keep silently prodding the lazy lockpicker to get crackin'! If ever in doubt if someone they happen upon is friend or foe, she will use the secret Guild "Westside" gang sign to make sure. If they are right about to get caught, she will throw up a Silent Image of an empty room and slowly sneak away, letting it end and revert to a genuine empty room as soon as she is out of line of sight.

Anathema
06-16-2009, 11:10 AM
'Dimitri...Dimitri...have I heard that name before?' His mind races through his internal Rolodex, parsing the mission briefing with a torrid speed. 'Is this someone we should worry about?' Göss turns to Cissinei and mouths the name with a questioning look. 'Perhaps she knows as well...'

wizarddog
06-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Göss and Cissinei bust their heads trying to recall the name. The only one they can recall was big burly of a city watchman from the eastern providence. If that be the one, they shudder as his temper is ledgendary as well as his great strength.

The two men appear to be about to pass the alley way. The timid man asks:
"By the Arcons of Aath, what is that smell?"

Dimitri replies gruffly: "I smell nothing" and can be heard blowing his nose.

Göss and Cissinei believe they are adequately hidden in the alley way, providing they don't make a noise.

But fate has intervene, the creaking cart of one Gisele Oberander had appears from the darkness adjacent to the wainwrights shop. Gisels is a known peddler who has supplied many clients (including Guild members) with the tools of the trade if not the banter. What is she doing here?

The two men are oblivious to her as her cart is lurking in the shadows.

The Guild thief grunts in success and open the door previously he was foiled by. He moves on to the last door along the corridor, purposely ignoring the one door on the opposite side muttering about saving the best for last.

Madoka and Jack open the next door. It appears to be a walk-in closet containing shelves of ink, writing instruments, parchment, balances, forms, measuring tools and other business items. Their might be something valuable but it will take time to search. Madoka need not be asked as she begins to rummage through.

TheSmartestLemming
06-16-2009, 05:44 PM
'Great, more paperwork to go through.' Jack sighs. 'Maybe these ones will be written in a more legable hand, and contain some useful information the guild would find valuable.'

CaptainShar
06-17-2009, 02:36 AM
Gisele will watch from her cart to see if the guards are going to investigate the alleyway or the mark's shop further, keeping to her instructions to assist in the escape if anything goes awry.

Cardboard Tube Knight
06-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Cissinei will stay squatted down and will wait in the shadows in hopes that the guards don't come her way. She's got the good sense to know when she can and can't be mouthy. And for them to find her back here again after she was told to leave once would at best end with her in jail.

Borodeva
06-17-2009, 09:57 PM
OOC: Madoka will continue to vigorously search each and every newfound room, always keeping one eye open for trouble. I will reserve my magic for sticky situations as I've detailed in the previous posts.

OOC: Is it possible to aid the guild thief with the locks even if I'm not trained? If so, I will aid once I finish searching.

wizarddog
06-17-2009, 11:59 PM
The two men pass the alleyway. One is large and burly, dressed in tight fitting chaimail and a large sword on his back. The glint of the handle gives way to it's fine quality. The other is smaller, dressed in a chainshirt with a crossbow and shortsword. Both carry bottles, the large man holds two by the neck in just one of his large hands.

Gisele watches as they immediately turn and walk right on to the patio of the Money Lenders shop! Göss and Cissinei hear their heavy footsteps climb the stone stairs.

"Should we be here? Isn't this the Money Lenders shop?" asks the small man.

Dmitri replies,"Ah, no worries. Felipe leaves wood by the fire just so the watch stop by his shop occasionally. He won't mind if we stop for a bit of drink."

The guild thief curses again as the door fails to open. (DM: Mardoka cannot help. It is not my fault nobody took open locks for a campaign regarding the thieves guild!;)

Mardoka and Jack search the storage room. Mardoka clicks her tongue as she pulls out a magnifying glass. Jack finds a set of merchant scales

wizarddog
06-19-2009, 02:18 PM
The guild thief curses again at the door. Jack had to give him a stern look to prevent him from kicking the door in frustration.

Jack opens the adjacent door and see a 10' passage way with a flight of stairs going up on the left and another door opposite on the right.

Göss and Cissinei listen (as Gisele watches) the two men.

"Ah, embers! Still good" Dimitri says poking at the fire. The other man throws wood on the once docile fireplace. The crackle of wood and the smell of pine fills the air. They settle down and Dimitri speaks again;
"So, little man is getting married?"

Jack and Madoka, as they open the adjacent door hear thumping sounds against the wall just outside the shop on the patio and the murmur of voices.

This is not good.

Cardboard Tube Knight
06-20-2009, 04:33 AM
OOC: where is everyone?

wizarddog
06-20-2009, 01:22 PM
DM Göss and Cissinei are in the alley way at the back door where Jack, Mardoka, and the Guild theif enter. They have saturated about 10 pints of oil in the alley way--most went into the sewer drain. They are hidden in the darkness not making any sound.

Jack, Mardok, and the Guild theif are inside the building tackling the lock doors and halls. Their pospsect has found them only mundane items right now.

Gisele arrived in her wagon opposite the shop in the shadows near the Wainwright across the street observing. The thieves are not quite sure why she is here.

The two guardsmen had come on to the patio and rekindled a fire in the fire place. Currently, only Gisele can see them but all others are hearing them. Their conversation is revealing.

Any new thieves that join will be either the Guild Theif, provided they have lock picking) in the building or any other theif hanging around to aid Göss and Cissinei in the shadows.

Deloren
06-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Hooper (the Guild Thief) takes a deep but quiet breath as he stares intently at the remaining door. He pulls a leather package from inside his satchel, unrolling a shiny set of master thieves tools. "I suppose I was hoping to get at least to the second floor before using these" he whispers, selecting numerous picks. "But this lock is quite a piece of work."

[OOC- Hi folks... Check out Hooper's background, etc on the roster. I'm up to speed on your adventuring so far and looking forward to helping out!]

CaptainShar
06-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Gisele "hut-huts" her mule forward and rolls up to the front of the moneylender's shop.

"Good evenin', gents." She dips her head in a nominal bow. "Been a long day today, looks like for you, too."

(OOC: Will use Diplomacy to engage in conversation if you deem appropriate.)

(OOC: Welcome, Deloren!)

TheSmartestLemming
06-21-2009, 01:47 AM
'Knowing our luck, those doors are probably locked too.' Jack thinks as he looks over to Hooper. 'At least he seems to have finally woken up, maybe it was the thump outside that got him moving.' Waiting impatiently for Hooper to continue doing his magic on the doors, Jack rests his hands on his hips directly over his daggers, his nervous tick.

wizarddog
06-21-2009, 03:41 AM
(DM Hooper is now the Guild theif)

Hooper easily unlocks the door. He still has one more on the opposite door he was saving for last.

Jack, Mardok, and Hooper hear beyond the shop walls the soft voice of another person addressing the two other voices.

Gisele addresses the two men from her cart. Dmitri smiles broadly, the smaller man stands in a sort of gentlemanly way.

"Ah, good evening!", begins Dimitri, "I am Dimitri and this is my little friend, Christoph. I believe I have seen you before, but the name escapes me..."

Gisele is unable to tell if this is a legitmate statment or a pickup line.

Göss and Cissinei hear this all clearly from the alleyway.

CaptainShar
06-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Gisele pushes her hood back a bit to reveal her forehead and eyes.

"I'm Sellie, the fletcher. You've forgotten me already, well that's no mind, but I never forget something I've made."

She taps the side of Christoph's quiver.

"All mine, the cheap and good, good enough at least, eh?"

"I hate bein' out this late and all alone, I was wonderin' if you gents would be good enough to walk me to the hostler's? If he's got a spot left he gives it to me half-price for this one," she says, patting her mule's rump.

Deloren
06-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Hooper wipes beads of sweat from his brow, content to have opened yet another lock with armed, violent guards just feet away. Recognizing the voice of the kalashtar outside in conversation with the gaurds, he relaxes a bit. As long as those charmer types can do their jobs... I can do mine. He nods silently to Jack and turns to the door behind him, setting about opening the lock.

Borodeva
06-21-2009, 09:47 PM
"Just keep on those locks, Hoop, my man. I've got our guard friends covered if need be," Madoka whispers with a sly smile.

OOC: Readying action for: Charm Person on the shopkeep, Sleep on house residents or guards, Silent Image of empty room or empty alley for our escape. All as necessary as the situation warrants. Searching every new area in the interim.

"So sounds like we've got some unexpected backup out front, eh? Girls rule!"

wizarddog
06-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Christoph frowns. "I have never heard of you.."

"You must forgive my friend, Christoph" interrupts Dimitri and then whispers loudly,"His eye and heart are for a very special girl."

Dimitri winks and moves closer to Giselle. Despite Giselle being very tall, Dimitri still towers over her by a foot. In contrast, Christoph is a a foot shorter but eyes Giselle suspiciously.

"I, on the other hand, was just commenting to the Captain on the fine bolts we acquired. Please sit down, we have a warm fire, and drink (shows the bottle). I'm sure I can persuade the Hostler to keep your discount."

Hooper unlocks the last door on the floor.

Madoka, ready to cast a spell, looks to Jack and Hooper to open the door.

Göss and Cissinei wait in silence.

CaptainShar
06-22-2009, 02:42 AM
"Don't mind if I do," says Gisele. She climbs out of the cart, using the wheel's hub as a step and, what is normally an awkward process, she somehow makes look stately.

She sweeps her brocade cloak under her and sits on the stoop.

"Won't we wake these folks? Though I suppose waking up to hear the fine baritone of our cities' bravest is about the most assuring sound that could wake one up in the night."

Anathema
06-22-2009, 11:49 AM
'I hope she has a sap up her sleeve if this diversion fairs poorly.' Göss entreats the prayerful desire silently, as he continues to watch on from his hidden position. The huddled and ready form of Cissinei beside him is enough to hold him to his duty. 'Each of us has a task to perform. It would be unwise to attempt any assistive actions in the street and jeopardize what safe avenue of escape you may provide your associates.' The self-encouragement is hardly necessary, and the thought passes quickly over his mind, filing into the filmy layers of his subconscious. 'I can wait.' He can wait.

TheSmartestLemming
06-22-2009, 05:10 PM
'Looks like whoever they are, they are going to be there for a while, so we'd better keep working.' Jack thinks unhappily. Nodding to both Hooper and Madoka, Jack opens the newly unlocked door, leaving the upstairs route for last. 'Please no dogs. Please no people' Jack chants in his mind as the room is revealed.

Deloren
06-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Whatever's behind these doors, it better be worth early-onset arthritis. Hooper massages his fingers and shuffles aside to let Jack open the door. As he wraps up the leather case holding his lockpicks and returns it to his satchel, he pulls out his hand crossbow. Purchased second-hand from a guild member, its recent targets have been rats and rotting onions. I have no intention of shooting Felipe or his family… but I need to hold on to something just to keep my nerve.

Borodeva
06-23-2009, 07:39 AM
(repeats the same actions for the new room, and subsequent rooms...)

OOC: Readying action for: Charm Person on the shopkeep, Sleep on house residents or guards, Silent Image of empty room or empty alley for our escape. All as necessary as the situation warrants. Searching every new area in the interim.

wizarddog
06-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Jack open the door while Hooper and Madoka ready themselves.

The door opens to a 20ft by 15ft with walls crowded by drawings of large jewels and ornate jewelery. A brown leather couch and lounger is arranged against the eastern wall. A rug cut of the whitest fur lies upon a polished hardwood floor. Over a fire place rests a mantle piece overcrowded with gemstones, A large bookshelf against the south wall holds a number of books. An elegant teak wood desk crowds the southwest section of the room. The four windows are both shuttered and opaque, making viewing impossible. This room also bears intricately engraved wards upon the walls.

The three hear the muffle converstion beyond the stone walls.

Dimitri to Giselle: "Oh no. Phelipe sleep soundly these day. Try some of this, (hands her a large green bottle), the Proprietor of the Hooting Frog recommended it as a fine vintage."

Christoph walks off the patio and turns the corner. Göss, Cissinei and Blake hear his foot steps approach the alley way. While Göss nad Cissinei are relying on the dark shadows of the alleyway, Blake seesm to blend into the cracks of the stone wall quite nicely (DM: therefore, he is the closes to the alley entrance). Giselle see him in the corner of her eye.

(actions)

Deloren
06-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Hooper holds one finger up to catch Jack and Madoka's attention, then signals his intent to search for any traps before the other two enter the room. In a town with a guild like ours, surely the moneychanger intended to protect this fine desk, book collection, and adorned mantle with more than just a couple of locked doors?

[Hooper will search the room for traps, first covering the floor and then examining the desk and mantle. Query: are the gems embedded in the mantle or merely sitting on it?}

wizarddog
06-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Jack can only see the strange runes as a potential trap and he does not recognize them as anything dangerous.

Madoka whispers she believes them to be runes against scrying.

(The gems appear to be inset into the mantle piece.)

Dimitri hands Giselle the green bottle and drinks from one of the others in a long quaff, watching her from the corner of his eye. He finishes and smiles at her.

Christoph stands at the entrance of the ally, he at first appeared to be fumbling with his clothing to start the process of urination but quickly turns his nose to the foul oil smell in the alley. He examines the ground and touches it with his fingers. He brings them up and sniffs. His face contorts into a frown and peers into the darken alley.

(Actions)

Borodeva
06-24-2009, 08:41 PM
OOC: Wait for the all-clear from Hooper, then start quietly searching the room for loot and secret doors and floor panels, etc. Since I'm an elf I should be getting that auto-check for secret doors just by passing by, right? Once the final search of this whole room is complete, I will use Detect Magic to scan the whole room for hidden magic items, hidden spells in effect, hidden wards, etc. If I find any magic, I will use Spellcraft DC15 to determine the school of magic. Try to hold concentration on Detect Magic for the next room unless I get distracted by combat, being discovered, etc. in the interim. Since I'm here for loot I will start grabbing anything that appears of value and easy to carry once it is determined to be safe, i.e., not trapped or alarmed.

"Game on, guys, let's get to grabbin'! Now where could that pesky jewel be? Don't tell me the bugger sleeps with it! Shit!," Madoka whispers with excitement.

Edit to add: If the gems look safe, I pop some nice big shiny ones out with my dagger, but only after Hooper confirms they are safe to touch. *use Appraise to see which gems are worth the most*

CaptainShar
06-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Gisele tips back her head and takes a sip from the bottle, trying the taste and the strength.

"Nice, thanks," she says.

Noticing Christoph.

"If there's one thing you can be sure of in an alley, it's the smell. Who knows what pranks the apprentices get up to these days?

Have a sip?"

She offers the bottle.

Deloren
06-24-2009, 09:44 PM
[OOC: continuing to search for traps]
Once satisfied of the safety of the room, Hooper signals to the eager Elf to plunder what she can from the room and begins himself. Best be in and out of here as soon as we find that prized gem... and a reasonable share for each of us.
He moves to the ornate desk first, curious to see if yields any information about the Felipe' wealth or secret dealings. Better grab something extra for our companion out on the street having to entertain that ugly beast Dimitri
[OOC: searching desk]

TheSmartestLemming
06-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanking the Gods Jack breaths a sigh of relief that there isn't anything living in the room. Waiting for the all clear from Hooper, Jack can't wait to start ransacking the room.

OOC: After the all clear

Moving into the room Jack appraises the situation. Seeing Madoka going for the gems on the Mantle, and Hooper going for the desk, Jack goes for the rug. (OOC: Assuming that it can be rolled up and carried out easily.) 'This will look good in my room' Jack thinks greedily. (OOC: If the rug is not easily taken, Jack will still roll the carpet up, because you never know what's under neath.) After dealing with the rug, Jack continues onto the bookshelf. While looking for interesting and/or expensive books, Jack is also flipping them open, using gravity to drive out any valuables located inside.

wizarddog
06-25-2009, 04:08 AM
The thieves begin to search the room.

Hooper finds no more traps in the general area. The other two swoop in.

Madoka murmurs and begins to search for magic. The runes on the walls are magical and she knows that they are a powerful anti-scying spell wards. She detects no secret doors. The gems on the mantle piece look very valuable to her. Nothing else seems to register as magical. Since she detected nothing strange and Hooper seem unconcern about them she starts to work in prying the gems out of the mantle piece. They appear to have been simply placeholders and she easily scoops them up.

Jack examines the rug and fine it is from a hide of some large white ape like creature. It could be valuable (to a buyer of such things) but is extremely bulky. He looks over the books finding texts covering subjects ranging from "Gem Polishing Techniques" to "The History of the Bottomless Mine". Individually they seem mundane but the whole collection would be worth to a collector. They too are quite bulky and hold no secrets.

Hooper makes a search of the desk and immediately beams on the three locked desk drawers. The locks look simple.

Giselle notes the wine is fine and strong, (Dimitri knows his liquor).
Christoph hesitates outside the alley. He does not seem to be responding to Giselle, but rather seems to be thinking. He is just a few feet from Blake.

Dimiti continues:Ah, a Rowen Moon! He points to the half moon illuminating the sky, breaking through the clouds. Tis what my Father called it. A story he told to me as a child about an elf goddess who lived in magical grove. Would you like to hear it? Takes another drink from his bottle, eyes on Giselle and ignoring Christoph.

TheSmartestLemming
06-25-2009, 07:51 PM
'The others seem to have all of the obvious spots covered, guess I'll start looking for any not so obvious hiding places.' Jack thinks.

Starting with the bookshelf in front of him, and then heading over to the various drawings on the walls, Jack looks behind and around everything.

CaptainShar
06-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Gisele looks appreciatively at the wine bottle, being sure Dmitri sees her action.

"I'm all ears. Elves' stories are so romantic."

Gisele makes as if to settle down more comfortably and raises the bottle to her lips.

"But - why don't you tell him to run along? You know what they say, two's company, but three's a poor fool who can't decide where to piss."

This last bit in a conspiratorial undertone not meant for Christoph's ears.

"But yes, I'd love to hear your story."

Gisele pushes her hood back a bit farther so she can hear what's going on (trying to hear if anyone's in the alley, or if all the thieves are inside), and smiles sweetly at Dmitri. She takes another sip of the wine, making it appear she's taking longer draughts than she actually is. Tonight is not the night to get tipsy.

rob5879
06-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Blake holds his breath and watches Cristoph closely. If Cristoph starts investigating the alleyway, Blake plans to come out of hiding and run away. That should take the guards' attention away from his companions, and hopefully he'll be able to lose them in the streets.

Deloren
06-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Hooper quickly draws out his thieves' tools and sets on the three desk locks. This evening may prove profitable yet...

wizarddog
06-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Dmitri's Eyes widen. Still gazing at Giselle he says from the side of his mouth. "Christoph."[b]

Christoph does not respond, still staring into the alley.

Dmitri, with a sound of exasperation, [b]"CHRISTOPH!"

Christoph finally respond: WHAT?"

"Go Home." Dmitri is bobbing his head indicating he has Giselle.

"But this alley is full of oil...", explaining the small guard.

"That's not our concern. Go home to you wife."

"I haven't married..."

Dmitri then speaks in a slow growling voice, even Giselle and the other feel at unease by it, "CHRISTOPH!"

"Fine!", Christoph returns to the patio, grabs his few items by the fire and begins to leave, sneering at Giselle.

Dimitro doesn't even wait for Christoph to leave, he turns to Giselle and says Now, where were we?

Hopper begins on the first drawer and unlocks it. Open it and finds it full of papers, mostly current sale receipts.

Madoka continues to scoop up the gems.

Jack looks through the drawings an finds nothing interesting. He does a double take on the desk. He's seen that design before.

(actions)

Anathema
06-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Göss heaves a subdued sigh of relief as the inquisitive guard makes his hasty departure. 'I'll have to remember to thank the lady as soon as we make it back to the guildhall.' He brushes a small bead of sweat away from his temple, flicking it off into the darkness. 'Let's just hope she can string this meatheaded one along long enough for the others to finish up inside and get rid of him when the time is right.' Another soft sigh escapes his lips inadvertently, and he grimaces at his apparent display of concern.
'It's too close to call this game just yet, I think...'

Borodeva
06-26-2009, 06:37 PM
OOC: Continue to scoop up the rest of the gems, but also pause to use Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering or whatever knowledge will help me figure out if there is a secret compartment built into the desk. (I think I have all knowledge skills)

"Psst Jack, I bet that greedy old fool has a secret compartment in that desk. The locks and drawers are just too simple, don'tcha think?"

OOC: Aids Jack with Search check to find the secret compartment if my Knowledge check hasn't worked yet. Also shift my position closer to the door once I have all the gems.

CaptainShar
06-26-2009, 11:05 PM
"You were going to tell me a story,"

Gisele leans back against the side of the porch with a genuine look of increased easiness (after all, Christoph's gone now - one guard is much easier to deal with than two) and gazes with all the uncanny raptness of her full attention on Dmitri.

(OOC: As long as this guy ain't got a great will save, worst comes to worst, I can do 5d10 damage to him in one round. With my brain.)

wizarddog
06-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Madoka does not recognize the desk design.

Jack recognizes as one his father owns.

Both attempt to look for secret compartments but are unsuccessful at first.

Hooper easily opens the second lock and finds the drawer filled with blank sales slips.

Goss, Blake and Cissinei watch as the Christoph walks disgruntled into the street's darkness muttering under his breath.

(DM: Unfortunately, psionics does not work the way your think. You are limited in augmenting a power by your manifester level [Exp Psionic p63]unless you are a wilder, have the overchannel feat or similar power that allows you to increase manifester level. The most damage you can do in a round is 1d10 because you can only manifest by 1 power point. When you reach 2nd level you can use 2pts and do 2d10 with the power. You will need to be 5th level to do 5d10. It's up to you to decide if you think 1d10 will take down this guy)

Dimtri continues; "Ah yes! My father, when he was young and his first year in the guard, was station in the temple district or the Avenue of the God as we call it. While on one of his night patrols, he heard a strange noise coming from a small grove planted at the entrance to the Temple of St. Jensive. Being a very curious man, he decide to probe further (rumors of a thieves plundering temple treasures had been quit common in those days). When he was only a foot from the grove he saw two small eyes glittering in the moonlight, of the most enchanting green." He takes another swig from his wine bottle.

TheSmartestLemming
06-27-2009, 11:50 AM
'Who would have thought that the money lender would own the same desk as my father. I guess good taste abounds in this city. If I remember correctly, dear old dad had a secret compartment that opened with the press of a switch that was somewhere around here. Maybe that compartment comes standard.' Jack thinks to himself as he thuroughly searches the familiar desk.

(OOC takeing 20 on search)

Deloren
06-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Sales slips and receipts... no doubt a close look would indicate this lender is a greater thief than most of us. No time for that now, though...
Hooper turns his attention to the third and final lock, as his companions search the nooks and crannies of the desk.

CaptainShar
06-27-2009, 01:28 PM
"And who was behind those enchanting eyes?"

Gisele prompts, neglecting to take a sip of her own this time.

wizarddog
06-28-2009, 02:14 AM
Jack begins the 2 minute process of checking the desk for any secret compartments.

Hooper unlocks and opens the final drawer and finds a small 10 in by 14 in woodbox with a lock. It looks very similar to the coin exchange box the son(s) were using earlier in the day. Underneath it, Hooper finds a black cover ledger book. It appears to be an accounting of Phelipe's expenses. One thing catches his eye. While a listing of expenses have names of person or business service one recent entry, for 45 gold pieces, has a small symbol drawn on it. It looks to be a outline open palm hand with a eye in the center.

Dimitri continues: The eyes were of a woman. A female of elf blood, so she looked. She was dressed is some patched leather outfit and draped in dark brown cloak. Around her wrists and ankles were locked manacles chained together. The woman did not seem to be concerened by my father, and she appeared to be working at the mancles with pick tools. Naturally my father was taken aback..

Drinks another swig of the wine.

(Actions--though Jack is preoccupied for a bit)

Deloren
06-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Hooper holds the ledger up to Madoka, pointing to the strange eye-in-palm symbol. "Recognize this?" he whispers, as he commits the symbol to memory before replacing in the drawer.

His eyes turn to the wooden box. Not sure how much real money is in this coinbox... but we've come this far... why stop now? Picking up his tools, he attempts to pick the box's lock.

Cardboard Tube Knight
06-28-2009, 03:37 PM
((Can Cissinei still see Christopher? Sorry for the abscence, a lot of unexpected stuff came up at the last minute.))

CaptainShar
06-29-2009, 12:13 AM
After another refreshing swallow of the fine wine,

"Did he speak to her?"

Gisele shifts her weight again, to a more nonchalant pose. She's gradually notching down her nonverbal cues as if Dmitri isn't being quite as interesting as she'd been expecting before he began the story. She wants to make him feel like that girl in his apprentice days did, the one he adored but never worked up the courage to ask out.

At least this story seems interesting enough. But hurry up, guys!

wizarddog
06-29-2009, 02:06 AM
Cissinei sees Christop walking down the street into the darkness away from the street. (DM If you wish to interact with him you may do so before he gets to far)

Hooper easily picks the lock on the box. Sure enough several coins are in the box of various denomination.

Jack continues the search the desk.

Madoka does not recognize the symbol (at least she never came across it before in her studies).

Dmitri continues: "My father spoke first. He asked who she was. She replied "I am Rowen" He asked back what was she doing. She replied "One of Garret's tests". My father was quite confused, but the elven female continued to work the manacles. He asked if she needed help,. She replied "Yes...but that would be cheating." Dimtri takes another drink.

(Dimtri looks to be one too full of himself to be concern with childhood awkwardness. Whether if this is from experience or just being really dense, Giselle is unsure. Her current tactic has no different response)

Deloren
06-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Hooper scoops up the lose changes and drops it into a pouch in his satchel. He quickly puts back the box and closes the drawers, steps back from the desk and turns to Madoka. "No valuable periapt in the obvious places..." he whispers. "But this place was locked up too tight for just business records..." Hooper attempts to aid Jack in his detailed search of the desk.

Borodeva
06-30-2009, 07:29 PM
OOC: Madoka takes 10 to aid the detailed search of the desk. (Auto success). Also, prepare spell actions as previously stated. Lastly, I will have 1 more detect magic to recast if we find another room or good place to search for magic.

CaptainShar
06-30-2009, 09:26 PM
"And who is Garret?"

Gisele shuffles her feet a little.

wizarddog
07-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Hopper, Madoka, and Jack all turn their attention to the attention on the desk; knocking on every surface, examining the finish. With all three they manage to find a small section that pulls out. Inside they find a 4 small silk pouches each with a fine gemstone: a sapphire, a diamond, a ruby and a emerald.


Dmitri to Madoka: "Garret? My father knew him not. But just three months ago I was aiding a prisoner transfer for the Inquisitor. The prisoner aided the escape of a murderer charged with the slaying of Lord Balto. His name was Garret and he was some gray haired old man. Is he the same man? I can not say...

Dimitri continues:

"My father was fascinated by the young female, yet may no move to disturb her. And rightly so, for a mid size dog emerged from the glade as well. At first it looked like a dog, but my father soon realized it was a young female wolf! The wolf waited obediently and patiently as the young elf open the manacles of the chains off her wrists and ankles. She then rose from the ground."

Dimitri takes another swig.

TheSmartestLemming
07-01-2009, 12:33 AM
"Well, it looks like we have found what this room has to offer." Jack whispers as he looks out the door at the other as of yet unexplored rooms. "Where would you like to go next Hooper?"

CaptainShar
07-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Gisele smiles.

"Elves have strange ways."

Deloren
07-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Hooper pockets one of the three gems [or whatever the normal guild policy is for handling shared loot on the job] and whispers to Jack and Madoka. "Let's investigate the hallway we unlocked earlier. I'm not particularly keen on going upstairs and running into living bodies... so let's keep this as quick and quiet as possible."

Hooper steps back and sneaks across the hall to start through the door that revealed an empty hallway, searching for any traps that might slow their progress.

wizarddog
07-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Hopper takes a diamond while the others pocket the other gems into their sacks. He makes his way to the hallway followed by the other thieves.

A woven welcome mat greets you beyond the door. Your light shines upon beautiful tapestries hanging on the walls of this hallway. The hallway ends with a simple door (locked) to the right and a staircase to the left. Looking up the stairs, the walls and ceilings are painted sky blue with fluffy clouds.

Hooper detects no traps.

Dimitri: "Elves, yes, they are strange. The elven maiden turn to look at my father, with those eyes and she spoke one last time: "I must go. My task is done. " At those words the tree's of the grove open up and she entered, followed by the young wolf. The tree' then closed up and my father stood their dumbfounded. Till this day, every time he looked at the moon at this phase, he called it a Rowen Moon (much to chagrin of my mother).

Dmitri smiles and move his large arm around the top of the bench to engulf Giselle (Dimitri is not subtle). With a finished bottle, he grabs one left by Christoph, and begins examine it's contents.

(actions)

Deloren
07-02-2009, 06:20 PM
If I were Philipe I'd probably have the periapt within reach in my bedroom... but we could get lucky. Hooper pads lightly to the end of the hallway, pulling out his lockpicks as he approaches the simple door at the end. Crouching down, he sets about opening the lock.

Borodeva
07-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Madoka does an active listen towards the top of the stairway, listening intently for any signs that anyone upstairs is awake or stirring.

After that she hides under the stairs if possible and keeps listening and watching for trouble as Hooper works.

If she senses anything alarming, she'll use an animal noise (hoot owl) to alert the others to the danger.

"Psst, (pointing to the stairs) how we gonna get up there and find the jewel with that fat bastard asleep," Madoka whispers. "If we don't have a better plan I might have to sneak up the stairs halfway and have a look around. Maybe he keeps it in a little stand on his nightstand. Hehe."

CaptainShar
07-03-2009, 03:06 PM
"My, it's late," says Gisele. "Didn't you promise me you'd walk me to the hostler's? I'd feel much better going through the city at this hour with a nice strong guard like you with me."

She pats the hand that Dimitri put around her shoulders, then stands and goes to the front of her cart to lead her mule, looking next to her as if she expects Dimitri to walk beside her. (As opposed to riding in the cart, where there wouldn't really be room for him.)

wizarddog
07-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Dmitri looks disappointed. "Well, yes, I did promise..."
(despite being a brutish man, Dimitri does have certain charm about him)

He knocks wood off the fire to allow it to burn off and walks to her wagon holding the tether of her horse. He begins to guide it foward by the tether. He begins to speak again as they walk.

"Well, since I told you a story, why don't you tell me one.."

Hooper easily unlocks the door at the landing. The small room contains shelves of ceramic urns, vases, bowls, plates and other pottery. Two empty casks lie against the wall and an iron bar sits on the floor between them. An open barrel of water sits in the center of the room.

The stair way has no space underneath and stops at a small landing to turn left to the rest of stairs going up. Madoka makes her way to the small landing (Halfway up the stairs) She strains to hear beyond the murmurs of the two persons outside the shop and the click of Hooper's tools. Sure enough she hears the distinct sound of a snore that quickly fades.

The thieves in the alley watch as Giselle and Dimitri begin to leave the shop down the street. The clanking of her wagon echoing in the night. But tey are not out of the clear yet. They anticipate the watch will be making their rounds by the shop again very soon.

(Actions)

Borodeva
07-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Madoka hand signals to the others below that she will sneak upstairs. She takes her rat familiar out and holds it in her left hand, then creeps up a few stairs silently until her elven eyes can see into the rooms. What is the layout up there and who and what do I see in each room?

OOC question: Who in the party who is inside with me has the best hide and move silently? I think I'm about the best sadly with +7 in each. If anyone objects to me being the sacrificial lamb, let me know.

Note: If it seems like I make some noise and am heard by the residents, I will send my rat off in the opposite direction to make a ruckus (maybe knock down something off a shelf or coat rack or something), hopefully creating a distraction so I can escape. Once the rat makes some noise it should hide and run back to me. I will whistle for it or whatever once I have cover.

CaptainShar
07-03-2009, 07:56 PM
"A story? Well, let's see..."

Gisele thinks for a moment.

"Once upon a time there was a queen. This queen was known as the wisest queen in all the land because of how she ran her country. But only a few people knew that this was because she had the wisest adviser of all, a mathematician who lived in the West Tower of the castle."

She continues walking toward the quarter which contains the stables for post-coaches, hansoms, etc.

TheSmartestLemming
07-05-2009, 02:26 AM
OOC: I have a decent H/MS but go right ahead, the rat trick sounds like a good idea.

Waiting for anything Jack keeps watch.

Deloren
07-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Hooper nods in approval to Madoka as she continues up the staircase. He searches through the contents of the small room full of useful containers. They must have something of value in them. He closely inspects the metal bar. Is this used to carry these two casks? What does Filipe have hidden in here?

rob5879
07-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Blake is relieved to see the second guard disappear down the road. He addresses the others.

"That guard Cristoph was about to investigate the spilled oil. If another inquisitive guard comes along, we may not be so lucky. Any ideas how to cover up the odor? Or we could just smash the barrel on the street, making it look like it fell off a wagon, and then we can hide somewhere else."

Borodeva
07-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Madoka proceeds with her actions from post #111, seeing Hooper's approval.

What happens? What do I see?

wizarddog
07-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Dimtri gives out a hardy laugh "Ah, this should be good!" The pace of the horse and cart move at a slow rate Giselle is not use to.

Hooper begins to search the closest, so far his investigation reveal little in anything of great value.

Madoka (aided by the light of Jack because their is no moonlight entering the upstairs) move supstairs.

The stairway from the ground level opens up onto a hallway that stretches the length of the 2nd floor. This hallway is covered with woven cotton rugs. Small framed portraits of different family members and three brass scones clog the walls. To the left the hallway ends 10 feet. Doors on the north and south walls are closed. To the right, the hallway goes down about 15 feet. Two door on the south wall ares closed while on the north wall are two openings leading into dark rooms. The smell of food stuff lingers in the hallway.

Blake receives shrugs from the other two thieves. Apparently, they will go along with whatever Blake thinks is best (less they speak up).

(actions)

Borodeva
07-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Madoka hand signals to Hooper that all is clear so far. Continues signalling, "two doors to the left, both closed, two doors to the right, both open. I'll check to the right..."

She moves silently to the right towards the two open doors to north and south. Hiding, I peek around into each room.

What do I see?

OOC: Hooper, if you're up for some sneaking and maybe listening at the left side closed doors, go for it!

CaptainShar
07-07-2009, 04:08 AM
"One spring, the queen's land was being invaded by a horde of orcs. They were pouring in from the west and the south, and had threatened some sailors to take them in boats up the main river to the capital city. As orcs do, they looted and pillaged everywhere they passed, though most of the people were able to flee ahead of them to the castle with its moats. But finally, the orcs had enough of the fat land around them and proceeded to lay seige to the queen's city."

Deloren
07-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Satisfied that the closet has nothing worth taking, Hooper starts up the stairs to join Madoka on the second story. He turns to the left and listens intently at each closed door.

wizarddog
07-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Madoka and Hooper enter the hallway. The cotton rugs, though well worn do cushion their footfalls. Madoka however hits a creaking floorboard that groans on her step.

Madoka quickly peeks into the two open passages and finds the first leads to a kitchen, and the last to a dinning room.

Hooper moves to the closets door on the north wall. Sure enough he hears the heavy breathing and snores coming from it. Since it emanates loudly he immediately tries the south door but hears nothing in such a short amount of time.
(DM: If you wish to do a proper listen, you will need to spend more time at the door).

Both Madoka and Hooper notice trap doors on the ceiling above at each end of the hallway, possibly leading to the attic.

Giselle and Dimtri continue walking down the street: "Ugg. Orcs. Smelly pigmen. I slew a few that smuggled themselves in the city a year ago. But please, continue..."

The Blake and the other thieves continue their vigilance in the alleyway, aware that the watch may soon return on patrol.

(actions)

Deloren
07-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Hooper pauses at the south door and listens intently for any sounds from within, waiting for a signal from Madoka before changing his position.

Borodeva
07-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I take it Madoka sees nothing immediately remarkable in either the kitchen or dining room since it wasn't mentioned. What do I see in a quick glance in these rooms?

Madoka motions to Hooper that she will have a look at the attic above. I examine the attic door to see if I can figure out how it opens. If I can find any hinges or latches, I will apply some oil from my pack.

After that I will quietly open the attic door and peer inside. I assume some sort of stairway or ladder slides down, allowing me access. What do I see in the attic?

rob5879
07-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Blake sets the oil barrel down on the street so that it looks like it fell off a wagon and spilled its contents. Then he hides a bit further down the street, where he can still keep an eye on the building.

CaptainShar
07-09-2009, 08:40 PM
"The townspeople were running out of food, and the queen began to despair. She didn't eat herself, and became sick and pale, though she showed a brave face to her troops. Finally, she could think of nothing else but to turn to her friend, the mathematician. She visited her in her tower room, where the mathematician was poring away over her books and eating a dry biscuit, apparently oblivious to the armies outside."

wizarddog
07-10-2009, 01:05 AM
(DM: Madoka needs to slow down if she wants to examine things more closely; by checking both rooms at once she spends little time taking all the information in, especially if she wants to do this quietly.)

The kitchen by glance had shelves, counters, and a combination fireplace grill. Food stuff, pans, glassware, dishes and utensils line the shelves.

The other was dinning room with a large table with 6 chairs. Tapestries and paints adore the walls. (If she wants more info she need to go inside.)

The trap door is too high up to reach from the floor, Madoka will need a chair or something else to reach it. Otherwise it will open downward.

Hooper listens at the door again but hears nothing. The snores from the other room continue. Hooper knows their are three other people besides Felipe who reside in this home so they must be somewhere...

Blake places the empty barrel in the street, trying to make it look convincing. He slips back into the alley just as the foot falls of the watchmen are heard in the distance.

Dimitri laughs, which startles the horse slightly and bellows through the streets. Perhaps he had a bit much wine back at Felipe's porch or he is just natually loud, Gisselle is unsure. He continues to lead Giselle's horse through the dark streets.

(actions)

Borodeva
07-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Madoka hand signals that she is going into the dining room and will need some time, then she sneaks in and begins to 20 search the room, walls, and floors, taking special care to check behind the tapestries and paintings, press around the floor for loose or false floorboards, etc.

Deloren
07-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Hooper watches Madoka move into open room and decides to follow. Let's hope we can find this periapt in a room without a sleeping body in it. He sneaks quietly down the hallway and into the dining room to search along with the elf.

CaptainShar
07-10-2009, 06:51 PM
"The queen tiptoed into the room, knowing from past experience that the wrong interruption could be disastrous if the mathematician was working on something extremely delicate or dangerous. As she crept closer, she saw that the mathematician appeared to be only playing with her glasses and scribbling in her notebook. So, as the mathematician didn't look like she was going to look up any time soon, the queen stepped forward to tap her on the shoulder."

wizarddog
07-12-2009, 01:43 PM
The 10' x 15' dining room contains a large heavy teakwood table with 6 chars. Tapestries with scenes of picturesque landscapes cover the walls. A painting of an older gentleman hangs on the far wall to the left of a large shuddered window. Another large window on the right wall is shuddered but probably looks down on the street. An opening in the left wall leads to another room. A display closet sits in the corner of the room adjacent to the entrance.

Madoka and Hooper begin to sweep the room. The entrance on the left leads to the kitchen. The table is worn but finely crafted. The tapetries look to be poorly weaved. The supply closet has shelves of cleaning supplies, candles, a candelbra, and the linen for the house hold. The candelabra looks to be made of silver but is a little bulky. The display closet contains utensils, plates and other common dining supplies. They too appear to be made of silver with a large platter in the back engraved with what might be the family crest: A Unicorn Shied behind two lances. The platter looks to be the more valuable but again is a bit bulky.

Two guards pass the the shop. Upon seeing the barrel and the spilled contents they stop and look at each other. One lights his lantern and the other positions his halbred in front of him.

Dimitri continues to lead Gisells cart closer. She can see through the moonlight their desination is only another block (Thank Goodness).
Dimiitri lets out a large belch. Excuse me, please continue...

Borodeva
07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Madoka signals to Hooper that she will try to climb up into the attic. I quietly place a dining chair under the nearby trapdoor just outside the dining room and I signal to Hooper if he wants to check the trapdoor for traps. While waiting for his response I carefully oil the hinges and latches on the trapdoor without opening it.

(waiting for Hooper to check the trapdoor for traps...)

Deloren
07-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Hooper follows the elf out again into the hallway to aid her in entering the attic. He does climbs atop the chair to search the door for any traps.

CaptainShar
07-12-2009, 05:50 PM
"The mathematician looked up suddenly and said, "I know what you've come about. Just position the polished silver gongs from the Temple of Pelor along the wall - thus - and when the sun rises, I promise you your troubles will be over!"

Not wanting to question the mathematician's devout turn - although she'd never shown much interest in Pelor before - the queen hurried to have the gongs placed.

And, lo and behold, at first light the next morning, the ships and siege engines of the orcs began to smoke and to catch fire! A great shout of "Pelor be praised" rose from the people, and they organized a sortie to route the flabbergasted orcs.

At the victory feast, however, rather than toasting the might of Pelor and the fervency of the priests along with the rest, the mathematician just raised her glass and said, "one more triumph of the arcane over the orc-cane," and chuckled to herself."

After finishing the story proper, Gisele remarks, "And of course while the story doesn't give the mathematician a name, at university we always called her Parabola," and laughs uproariously at her own joke, still chuckling as she puts her mule to rest for the night.

wizarddog
07-14-2009, 04:00 AM
Dmitri pounds at the doors of the stables. A light through a frosted window moves away and the sound of the doors bolts open. A skinny unshaven man opens it. Upon seeing Dimitri and the mule he gestures the cart to enter.

Dimitri turn to Giselle: "You know, I can awaken a tavern owner nearby, I'm sure he has some stew that could be heated for our benefit, if you like."

Jack detects no traps on the door and Madoka climbs up to push it open.

She see a large open room that extends the length of the building. The roof is arched and the ceiling slopes gently downward toward the sidewalls. approximately every 10 feet, joints and members rise from the floor to hold the roof in place. At different points, two chimney and a wood walled structure rise through the roof. Scattered throughout the attic in haphazard rows lie chests, barrels, wood boxes, wicker baskets and old furniture. looking over in the vast amount of materials stored here, you realize it would take hours to search through it properly.

The two guards start to approach with a lantern lit through the alleyway. Blake, Cissinei, Göss back away further into the shadows. Cisssiei draws her two swords while Göss bears his hands ready for some sort of spell. Blake prepares to run but see his companions are aiming to fight. It is three to two but the veteran guards may have more experience in battle than the three combined.

(Actions: If I don't here anything from the three in the Alley I will attempt to utilize actions they indicated they have stated before--if they fail at those tasks, then they will fight.)

Borodeva
07-14-2009, 02:32 PM
OOC: Hooper is with Madoka, so perhaps it is Jack who is outside in the alley.

"Aw crap, so much junk up here. I bet that fat bast*ard has the gem in the room with him," Madoka whispers down to Hooper. "Let's open the bedroom doors a crack and peek in. I think I've got a plan (relays the plan)," she whispers with a devilish grin.

OOC: Plan is to sneak back down the hall to the bedrooms. Oil the hinges on both doors. Hooper opens the left door and peeks in, Madoka opens the right door and peeks in. If either of us spies the gem, we close the other door quietly. Hooper sneaks in quietly to filch the gem while Madoka readies Sleep on all the room inhabitants who aren't guild thieves. If anyone wakes up, Madoka casts Sleep. Once we have the gem, we sneak away. If pursued we use Silent Image to make the illusion of an empty room or empty alley so we can avoid our pursuers.

"You in?," Madoka whispers to Hooper.

wizarddog
07-14-2009, 03:08 PM
(DM Edit on last post, it is Blake that is in the alley--so many players ;)

Deloren
07-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Hooper removes his hat and wipes several drops of sweat from his brow as the Elf explains her daring plan. "When we signed up for this... I was rather hoping to not be the one sneaking through the bedroom." He whispers to Madoka. "But then again... we are guild thieves, and this is what guild thieves do."

Closing the attic door, he nods to Madoka in agreement with her plan. Let's hope the coast is clear outside should we need a speedy retreat..."

[OOC: Hooper is good to go with Madoka's plan described above]

rob5879
07-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Blake considers trying to draw the guards' attention away by running, but at this point it looks like the time has come to fight. He draws out his bow and aims at the guard with the halberd. When the guard gets within 30 feet, Blake will shoot.

wizarddog
07-15-2009, 06:43 PM
As Madoka and Hooper are busy oiling the hinges of the door they hear a howl from the street below. Moments later a police whistle sounds through the night.

The two hear Jack mutter from the stairs: "Bloody hell..."

The snoring stops.

Dimitri and Gissell hear the faint police whistle. Dimitri turns to hear "Excuse me... and begins to run to the source of the whistle.

As the lantern sweeps across the alley way the two guards immediately spot Göss. Blake lets fire his arrow, it strikes the guard with the halberd near the neck. He lets out a howl clutching the bloody wound.

Cissinei immediately lunges at the lantern guard with her elven blade, but it strike and bounces off his armor.

The lantern guard backs up and tosses the lantern at Cissinei but she dodges to the side and it smashes onto the ground. He then draws his Halberd.

The guard wounded by Blake back away clutching his neck, pulls out his whistle and begins to blow.

Göss finishes his spells and a silver sheen envelopes his body and disappears, he then starts to run down the alley into the darkness.

The flame of the smashed lantern begins to ignite the oil drenched alleyway.

:doh:

(actions)

CaptainShar
07-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Gisele ties up her mule at one of the stable-rings until Dmitri is far enough away that he wouldn't notice her following, and then doubles around back towards the mark's house, taking a different route from before. She'll stop when she can hear the guards and not see them, and then try to be more cautious in her movements.

(OOC: Plan - summon a construct on which all of this can be blamed. Thieves' guild members can hopefully escape without being ID'd!)

Borodeva
07-16-2009, 05:43 PM
"Sh*T, that's our cue!," Madoka hisses to Hooper.

"Open that alley door, we're comin'!"

OOC: Plan is for Jack to run to the alley door and open it, then Madoka and Hooper will be right on his heels.

Madoka turns and bolts down the hallway, pulling up her hood to hide her face as she runs. Then down the stairs and when she reaches the open alley door, she will use Fiery Burst (5' radius, 2d6 damage, reflex save DC16 for half), hoping to catch both guards (and no thieves) in the blast. If we can knock out one or both of the guards, that should buy us some time. Hopefully when reinforcements arrive, some or all of them will delay trying to save their unconscious comrades.

OOC: The rest of the plan is for everyone to split up and run in various directions once the guards are disabled. Everyone should hide at first possible opportunity, then we regroup at the guild later. If Madoka is pursued, she will run around a corner and use Silent Image to create the illusion of an empty alley, then wait for the guards to pass, then sneak away.

rob5879
07-17-2009, 03:10 AM
Blake moves to a more advantageous position and fires an arrow at the unwounded guard. He quickly looks around to try to spot any reinforcements that might be coming.

Deloren
07-17-2009, 10:22 AM
This is the part I hate. Hooper fumbles to put his tools back in his satchel and draw out his hand crossbow as he rushes down the stairs . As he reaches the last steps, he looks briefly at the brass bound door to the bulding's porch. [OOC: Is this door simply latched from this side? If so, Hooper will attempt to go out this door rather than the alley. If not, he follows Madoka out.] Once outside, he steps into a shadow to determine if he might help his fellow guildmates escape arrest...

wizarddog
07-18-2009, 12:32 AM
Jack rushes ahead and opens the alley door. He is met by flames from the oil igniting. Madoka follows him and recahes the door to see him staring at the blaze.

Hooper runs to the other door to the porch and unhooks the barring.

They all hear rustling and shouting from upstairs.

The flames envelope Blake, he dodges some of them but feels clothes catch fire (3 points of fire damage). This messes up his aim (as well as Cissinei engaging the guard) and his arrow misses. He see Madoka and Jack from the backdoor staring at the flames. (Maybe this oil thing wasn't such a good idea). Goss appears to have ran away.

Cissinei swipes at the guard while the flames surround her, but both of her blades are blocked by his halberd.(Cissinei takes 1 point of fire damage) The guard however is not as agile and flames burn him. He blows his whistle once more and swings his halberd at Cissinei; who dodge as it crashes into the side of the shop wall.

The wounded guard, at the edge of the flames tries to back away but the flames engulf him and he falls to the ground.

Gisselle follows Dimitri where he has met by two other guards running in the same direction.

Dimtri: "Who's whistle blew?"

Guard: "Johnson, over by the Moneylender!"

They then all turn to hear the whistle blow again.

Borodeva
07-18-2009, 01:11 AM
"Now we're cookin'," Madoka chuckles. "Wait for it, wait for it..."

(Very careful timing for the next series of events below)

Madoka delays until Hooper opens the front door and completes his action, then acts using Fiery Burst (2d6 damage, DC16 Reflex save for half) on the whistle guard fighting Cissinei, careful to miss her.

"BOOM! Hahaha," she cackles maniacally then runs out the front door to the first sign of cover or concealment, then hides and moves stealthily directly away from the shop.

As Madoka leaves, hopefully Jack can slam the alley door towards the fire, then run out of the front.

OOC: Plan is for everyone inside to go out the front door, then split up and hide and sneak away, then regroup at the guild.

rob5879
07-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Blake tumbles away from the flames to a safe area, and attempts to shoot the guard again.

CaptainShar
07-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Actually, Gisele was going to go a DIFFERENT way than she and Dmitri had come. Maybe the next block over.

Let me know when I'm close enough to the action I could do something!

Deloren
07-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Hooper continues with his plan to exit out the front door and disappear into the city night to reconvene at the Guild.

wizarddog
07-20-2009, 04:03 AM
Madoka waits for it... Hooper opens the door and she has no target...(how exactly was she going to target things through the FRONT DOOR when the battle is being fought at the BACK DOOR is a mystery). She see in the distance three Guards running towards the shop. One is very large and is running with a bastard sword; the others with Halberds.

Hooper leaps out of the door through the dumbstruck Madoka runs off the stone porch, and heads into the darkness.

Jack begins to shout at Blake: [b]"Make a run for it![b] He dashes through the flames, makes and yelp and runs down the alley the same way Goss went; disappearing into the darkness.

Blake tries to tumble out of the fire but missteps. The flames lick at him.
(2 fire damage). Now out of the flames he fires his bow once more at the guard. It strikes him soundly in the back but bounces off his armor. This momentarily distracts the guard and Cissinei cuts him with her blade; he crumples to the ground surrounding the flames but she too is singed (3 points fire damage) and looks around for another target.

Blake notices the other guard is starting to burn even more but the flames seem to be now going down, the fuel spent up.

Gisselle breaks off from the guards and takes another path. The guards seem to be heading in the most direct route. She finally emerges and sees the fire in the alleyway starting to go down. She sees the two guards and Dimitri emerging from the city street towards the front of the shop. The only thieves she can see are Cissinei and Blake near the back alleyway.

(actions--those who have "run into the darkness" need not take any that interact with the current crisis)

Borodeva
07-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Dude, you already said the BACK alley door was open!

From your 7/17 post:

"Jack rushes ahead and opens the alley door. He is met by flames from the oil igniting. Madoka follows him and recahes the door to see him staring at the blaze."

Hence my original plan was to delay for Hooper to open the FRONT door, then blast the whistle guard out the BACK door to shut him up, then run out the FRONT door and hide.

Since the whistle guard out the open BACK door has been cut down by Cissinei, I guess you can have me wait for Hooper to open the FRONT door, then I would run out the FRONT door into the darkness.

Gah, we need a map!

wizarddog
07-21-2009, 10:15 AM
(DM: My Bad---I've been busy on web projects all week. Madoka would have had to enter the flame to get a good shot of the guard anyway as they had never moved into the alleyway at the start. They would have moved around the corner to avoid Blakes arrows but I did not clarify that. A map was presented on post 18. This is supposed to be a roleplaying experience not a combat simulation...so their are bound to be crazy mixups---don't rely on grid combat ;) PLEASE CONTINUE ACTIONS!)

Borodeva
07-21-2009, 12:46 PM
OK then, Madoka waits for Hooper to open the front door, then follows him out into the darkness before splitting up from him, running as far away as she can and hiding.

What do I see as I'm running? Any sign of the guards yet, and do they seem to see me?

Reminder that the hood of my cloak is pulled up to conceal my face in the dim light.

rob5879
07-21-2009, 02:37 PM
With both guards down, Blake makes a run for it, taking a twisty route through the city to the nearest safe house. He'll hide if he sees anyone. When about 200 feet away from the battle, if he's not being chased, he'll switch from running to sneaking.

Deloren
07-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Hooper winds through a few city streets before setting toward the agreed-upon rendezvous point.

CaptainShar
07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Gisele summons an amber-colored, fire-breathing beetle-shaped construct around the corner from where any of the guards can see (so they don't notice that it just materialized) and will have it move into the middle of the fracas area; if those two guards who got a look at the others are still standing, the beetle will attack them. If not, it will poke its head around the corner and spout fire towards the newly arriving guards.

wizarddog
07-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Blake makes it through the streets in the shadows, disappearing.

Madoka makes it through the shadows into the streets, no one is following her but she hears an exchange from guards and obviously the shop owner from his window. The conversation is echoing and inaudibly as it bounces off the buildings surrounding.

Cissinei wastes no time, with the flames extinguished and her wounded badly she limply runs from the shop abandoning the two guard bodies, who's fate is unknown. She moves swiftly through the shadows and down the opposite street.

(DM Giselle can try to summon the construct but it will last but 1 round and she will need to be at a range of 25' from where she wants it to appear--that might exposed her more than you want. You can reconsider or continue with the shaping since it's a full round action. Also, I don't believe you have the ability (yet) to give a construct an augmented energy attack unless the fire is just effect. If you want it to appear as particular real life creature you need to make a craft sculpting check.)

Giselle does hear the guards and the shop owner shouting but the echoes from the street make it difficult to understand. Now blocked by shop, she see only the lantern light from the guards.

(actions--those that linger risk being exposed---that includes Madoka and Giselle; all others have effectively left the area, are safe, and no longer part of the encounter)

Borodeva
07-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Madoka, realizing she hasn't been seen and is not being pursued, quickly and quietly slips away. She will meet up with the others at the guild.

I'm curious to hear what the guildmaster has to say about our mission. Hehe.

CaptainShar
07-24-2009, 02:07 PM
OOC:

Oops, my bad; I can make it resistant to fire but can't make it breath fire until next level. Okay, I'll give it the "celerity" attribute along with the "fire resistant" attribute instead (Boost Construct feat gives me an extra ability), and my feat Ectopic Form (Amber Tunneler) specifically states that the creature is low to the ground and many-legged and looks suitable for burrowing.

If everyone is already there clearly staring at the area, I'm not going to summon the monster. If people are still just dashing up and haven't had a chance to examine the area yet, here's what I'll do:

I will stay behind the corner of the house across the street, so as not to expose myself. I will summon the construct across the street if the street is narrower than 25 ft. across, and I will summon it next to me if the street is wider than 25 ft. across. As soon as it appears I will direct it to rush to the area of the fracas and start digging into the street under the merchant's house, kicking up fiery sparks as it does (purely for flavor).

How's that?

wizarddog
07-24-2009, 05:59 PM
(DM Since Giselle is the only on left in the area I am responding to her actions only. A new thread will be posted for the results of chapter one rewards. When she finishes we begin Chapter Two.)

Giselle forms the ectoplasma mold from the field. It twist and forms into a beetlelike creatures. Being not a skilled sulpture, it takes the form of a crude bettle like creature, appearing 25 feet from the area where the two guards lay still. Just as it scutters foward a guard moves over to the side of the shop and spots it. He shouts to the other guards and draws his crossbow. By the time he loads and the other guards arrive, it burrows below the shop and disapears. The guards try to look through the hole but see nothing. The one guard with the cross bow holds it steady at the hole.

Another rushes to the guards on the ground. He check the one that Blake had shot. He crouches down and examines him. "He's dead. You think that thing attacked him?"

Dimtri frowns and picks up a stray arrow of Bakes "Unlikely"

From the alley door the two sons appear, one has a belt of daggers around him clinging to his bed clothes while he holds one in each hand ready to throw. The younger son emerges wielding a rapier.

Dimtri looks through the darken streets. "Secure the the streets. They may still be hiding around here!

(Actions: Giselle only)

Borodeva
07-25-2009, 12:25 AM
>Dimtri frowns and picks up a stray arrow of Bakes "Unlikely"

Hahaha! Someone forgot to police their brass!

Madoka leans back in her comfy overstuffed easy chair deep within the bowels of the thieves' guild and sips on some smooth whiskey. "Ahhh, you win some, you lose some," she says with a smile as she fondles the diamond hidden in her pouch.

CaptainShar
07-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Gisele will go back to the hostler's the way she came. (Let me know if there's anyone likely to get near enough to see me.)