PDA

View Full Version : Need tips to start GMing...

jamiros
06-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi guys,

Well here's my story in one single sentence. I moved to Mexico and I'm living in the mountains and I still want to play D&D.

What I intend to do... I have the books 4e and 3.5e and some first level adventures for 3.5. I know Spanish enough to get my point across and I can also write it to a certain extent. But I can't translate the word 'Beholder' or skills like 'Spellcraft', but I can explain it pretty well. I will also make visuals for them so that the point gets across.

So... I've played 3.5e and I just got the 4e books but I've never GM'd seriously. I just need some good pointers so that I can start. The only time I GM'd was for 4 hrs and it was a pre-made adventure I bought for 3.5e. I still need to learn 4e I can't get the hang of it yet.

Any way, any help is really appreciated guys. I know I'm new to the forum but I really need some help. I need my D&D fix :lol:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Having fun is 90% of it, the rest you can fake. Don't worry, players are rarely harsh critics, so worry less on your skills and just enjoy the game. You'll be pleasantly surprised how well it goes.

Oldgamer
06-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Keep in mind Mexican's use English words to fill in what they don't have a word for too :) It's called Spanglish. Living in Texas the past year taught me that if there is no word in Spanish for what they are describing in translation ... they will use the English word and then describe it the best way they can in Spanish. Once they hear the word's like Spellcraft and Beholder enough when you describe it, the words will become part of their language. You should also find many Mexicans speak a smattering of English too, at least in Tijuana they do :laugh:

Dimthar
06-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi guys,

Well here's my story in one single sentence. I moved to Mexico and I'm living in the mountains and I still want to play D&D.

What I intend to do... I have the books 4e and 3.5e and some first level adventures for 3.5. I know Spanish enough to get my point across and I can also write it to a certain extent. But I can't translate the word 'Beholder' or skills like 'Spellcraft', but I can explain it pretty well. I will also make visuals for them so that the point gets across.:lol:

Well, as for the "Monsters Name Translations" I would not worry that much, for must of them either the translation is very close:
Elf = Elfo
Gnome = Gnomo
Orc = Orco

or in our case (Monterrey) we simply go with the name in English (e.g. Beholder, Mindflyer, Tarrasque, etc.)

If the group uses "Books in English" there are huge chances, they will use the names in English for Powers and Spells (Cure Light Wounds, Fireball, Backstab).

Now, Skills is a different story, the name in Spanish is the one used almost 100%.

If you get Experienced Role-Players to play with, language will never be a problem.

Try these links:

Liga de Aventureros (http://www.ligadeaventureros.org.mx/)

Entretenimiento Creativo (http://ecreativo.com/)

I just realized you are in the Middle of Nowhere, Guadalajara en Colima are pretty far away, specially if driving on the mountain roads... I am curious on how you ended there.