PDA

View Full Version : Spelljammer - do you still use it?

Bob the Dalek
06-04-2009, 09:00 AM
One of my favorite campaign settings has always been Spelljammer. I've never found a DM willing to use the setting even though most I've talked to have had fond memories. Mind flayers never scared the pants off me as a kid until I read about the slave ships sailing the spheres.

I have two questions, do you still use it, and have you upgraded it to your edition of choice? :confused:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I haven't, but i have friend that loves it. Last i spoke with him, he has plans on updated it to 4E. I'll tell him to keep a gaming blog on P&PG, as well as mention your thread to him. I, myself, have never played said setting, sadly.

Baron_Samedi
06-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I played it in the nostalgia of my 2e days, but sadly we didn't get very far. The appeal of traveling to different spheres and worlds as if you were walking down the road was interesting and highly anticipated, but for some reason it didn't pan out. Could have been the DM, or maybe we just weren't THAT into it. Later we switched to a Planescape campaign, and that seemed to work out better.
Although, i will say that those who participated actively in it were huge fans, i just didn't get into it.
Most players i know would use the Manual of the Planes book as a guide for planes jumping...

templeorder
06-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Same with me, we thought it would be much more interesting than it was. It turned out that the blend just was not very fun for most of the players... though we used for for side treks a lot, or just as an explanation of how certain things got to be.

mnemenoi
06-04-2009, 05:14 PM
I continue to use it within my campaigns. I play 2nd edition, mostly Forgotten Realms games and utilize a few places in the realms that were connected to the setting. I have also dropped a few spelljammer type things randomly into the campaign, but they are rare and unless you are quick or have played in the past, they usually go unnoticed. I had a party once run into an Arcane and Giff in a seedy bar in Waterdeep (never had any idea what they were) and have had a minor spelljamming helm appear in a very old treasure (again never figured out what it actually did). A spacefarer did barter with one of my groups and sold him some of a meteor, which the player crafted into a head for a magical spear (had zone of comfort continually cast within 10 feet).

Within the 2nd edition version of the realms, other then a few odd creatures, most psionics are from other spheres and any characters I had in my game would have to journey to Waterdeep or another large port to have had any chance of finding an instructor.

Those are the few things that I have used, but I am certain there will be many more in the future as I loved the game.

BrotherDog
06-05-2009, 06:26 AM
I wish. I always wanted to play in that setting. As a DM I'd work some stuff into the game a bit.

As far the 3e conversion, I'd just use the more steamlined player friendly mechanics. The fluff info blew.

korhal23
06-05-2009, 09:15 AM
I've never played it, or read the old books. However, when I bought Manual of the Planes for 4E, my friend who had played geeked out that Spelljammers had returned (if not the campaign setting as a whole)

tesral
06-07-2009, 05:00 AM
When the mood strikes. We haven';t done much with it lately, but is it sitting there.

Windstar
06-07-2009, 07:46 AM
For me, spelljammer never quite made that splash, I thought originally it would be cool, bought the book and looked through it. And summarily put it on the shelf.

Windstar
:cool::cool:

tesral
06-07-2009, 11:33 AM
It has a few bent assumptions. However, me being me I change them and kept stepping.

I remove the Aristotelian physics for example.

deathboy
06-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I loved the setting and still have a lot of the books and box sets, but I also find it part of the TSR power glut of the late 1980's and early 1990's. Every once in awhile I pull a couple books out just to read them and steal ideas as it had very decent ship to ship battle rules.

Valdar
06-07-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm running the 4e derivative version now. The campaign was nautical (world-bound) for the Heroic tier, and for Paragon, an NPC has entered into an alliance with the party and attached a spelljammer helm to their pre-exising craft. He'll stick around until the party makes 18 and can run the helm themselves. (Yes, I know I could houserule it, but I'm sticking to RAW this time around and seeing how it goes.)

The party has had two short adventures in the Shadowfell, spent a lot of time in Hestavar, and made a foray into the Valhalla region of Celestia. They're currently investigating the origin of a mysterious potion in the Feywild.

Tamerath
06-09-2009, 01:14 AM
I haven't, but i have friend that loves it. Last i spoke with him, he has plans on updated it to 4E. I'll tell him to keep a gaming blog on P&PG, as well as mention your thread to him. I, myself, have never played said setting, sadly.

Yeah our same friend loves this setting...and I always liked the idea of it when I was younger, but same as some of you couldn't find a dm to run it (and I was busy doing my own Forgotten Realms / Ravenloft campaigns). I would love to see it brought to 4th Edition and see how it translated over. Valdar's idea for his campaign really draws me in...and has great progression through paragon then epic tier

shilar
06-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I really want to try this one time. I ran into some spelljamer fanfic a while back. lost the link in a crash from heck but the setting intrigued me.

Bob the Dalek
06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I really want to try this one time. I ran into some spelljamer fanfic a while back. lost the link in a crash from heck but the setting intrigued me.

I'd love to read some of that fic if you ever find it again.

Dytrrnikl
06-11-2009, 10:51 AM
I ran a Spelljammer campaign that lasted for maybe 6 months. The game fizzled. Everyone was of the mind that if we wanted to play a "Space Traveling" style of game then we'd play Star Trek or Star Wars.

Arkhemedes
06-12-2009, 12:50 AM
Tesral quote: I remove the Aristotelian physics for example.

At first the Aristotelian physics was a big turn off for me. But then I came to realize that in a fantasy version of medieval physics it made sense (just don't think about the physics actually - otherwise it won't make sense) and the idea of the crystal spheres helps to explain how Krynnspace for example can be so vastly different than Realmspace and still exist within the same Prime Material Plane which I consider to be an Alternate Prime Plane from our own where we have no crystal spheres or phlogiston. Also, good luck trying to force our "real world" physics onto a Spelljammer campaign. It just won't work because objects in space do not have gravity planes nor are ships and creatures massive enough to have their own atmospheres.

If you can deal with the wacky physics (hey its a fantasy world) the setting can be alot of fun. I have more experience in it as a player than as a DM. I was the captain of our ship and we had more damn weapons on that thing than anyone could handle. We hunted down pirate ships, took their stuff and sold it to make more improvements on our ship. We were the holy terrors of outerspace. What a blast!

tesral
06-12-2009, 01:11 PM
I didn't like them. For one thing it didn't fit with what have been established in my campaign world. So we changed the Spelljammer setting, it was easier.

My biggest beef with Spelljammer was the "This far and no farther" rules they that they kept breaking. Like the no ship bigger than 100 tons. I saw plenty of those, but never for PC use you see. Some even had specific warnings to the DM to make sure the players never got this ship.

I've always been a very "the rules don't see the labels" kind of guy and that sort of thing rankles me up one side and down the other. Rules are either rules for everyone, or they are not rules.

I borrowed a bit from "The Mote in God's Eye" and had portal points where one could open a hyper dimensional travel gate from star system to star system. Not every star had a gate to any system. You had to ride the network of portals some times far out of your way to get where you wanted to be.

I added gravity generators and air generators to ships. I alter the helms as they are designed to see that the party magician is nothing but a mule to get everyone else around, or a means to destroy magic items. How bad was it? They kept developing different kinds of helms (for NPCs) to get around the problem of needing a stable of magicians just to move any ship from A to B. I ended up treating them as a magical engine that didn't need constant power form a magician.

Arkhemedes
06-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Yea, I fully understand. If it doesn't fit with your world it doesn't fit. Take what you like from the setting and scrap the rest or change it. And I also agree with the exclusive rules thing. What works for NPCs should also work for PCs and visa versa.

Malruhn
06-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Spelljammer is pretty cool for ideas - but the core of it wasn't for me. I cherry picked the stuff I liked and just kept the book for pretty pictures. That's it.

nijineko
06-13-2009, 11:07 PM
never was able to play it, but like many here, i liked some of the quirky ideas. so i mixed and matched and blended it till i came up with a variant of spelljammer i liked. pretty much i mix spelljammer with aspects of dragonstar and a scattering of interesting ideas i've run across in my various readings.

DragonDM
06-14-2009, 01:28 PM
One of my favorite campaign settings has always been Spelljammer. I've never found a DM willing to use the setting even though most I've talked to have had fond memories. Mind flayers never scared the pants off me as a kid until I read about the slave ships sailing the spheres.

I have two questions,

do you still use it,
Yes.

and have you upgraded it to your edition of choice?
Yes, although this is still a process in the making - see below.

The problem that I have are twofold:
1) Finding players interested in playing Spelljammer.

2) experienced players that are already familair with the Spelljammer materials.

In point of Fact, Dungex (my game world) uses everything:
FR Portals, Sailing Ships, Submarines, Cloudships, Windjammer (ships that fly on air) and Spelljammers.

But I only expanding things that my players are interested in doing.

mnemenoi
06-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Here is the Fanfic Site
(http://www.spelljammer.org/tales/)
And here are the conversions to 3.0 (as well as collecting most of the info for 2nd) (http://www.spelljammer.org/)

Monstrous compendiums, ships, rules, ect, ect. A very nicely done site that seems to thrive on submissions and keeping the setting adrift in the phlogiston.

DarQuing
06-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Until now I don't think I've heard of it, though I think Eberron may have borrowed a few things from spelljammer (airships with a helm tuned to certain people).

If I have the money and I see the books, I think I'll pick them up.

prinnycook
07-08-2009, 09:22 AM
My DM found a way to get spelljammer and all other setting combined together, it was a lot of fun. I never tried to convert it to 3rd and I do not think I will try to do it for 4th. Spelljammer was great if it was not the main focus but used as a more of a supplement.

WhiskeyFur
07-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I borrowed a bit from "The Mote in God's Eye" and had portal points where one could open a hyper dimensional travel gate from star system to star system. Not every star had a gate to any system. You had to ride the network of portals some times far out of your way to get where you wanted to be.

Sounds like a fantasy version of Stargate. :)

Now that could be interesting, spelljammer + stargates. It would put less emphasis on the space travel, but in those cases where going through a stargate is just asking for it, sure.

SG1, stargates don't work in hyperspace. And since you can't get to extradimensional space in the phologiston, you have the same effect. Stargates don't work there either.

Just a random idea.

rmckee78
07-11-2009, 10:48 PM
We used it alot back when it was released. Of course we used a modified version of the Mentzer Basic D&D rules so we only used a rough approximation of Spelljammer. I took a lot of ideas and the Giff from Spelljammer for a Savage Worlds game I ran last summer set in an asteroid field

outrider
07-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Its still around in my campaign but very quiet at this time.

TheYeti1775
07-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Loved the setting personally.
In games I run, it's allowed and items can be incorporated in.

I've used it in 3E games, haven't played 4E but would imagine it could convert just as easily to it.

The big thing to remember is the first rule since the handbook days. The DM has final say. If Kender manning their own ship doesn't fit for you, don't use them. It's easy enough for the worlds to remain seperate yet cherry pick the elements you want out of it.

Far as helms, I tried a method of 3E Skill Points for it.
Spelljamming - This is a trained only skill. Intelligence based
Actual Skill points determine your Rating for Speed Caculations.
For Example: (SR was how fast the ship could go near Gravity Wells)
Minor Helms - Skill Level / 3 = SR
Major Helms - Skill Level / 2 = SR
World Jumper (Can't do Spelljamming speed(one of my creations)) - Skill Level / 5 = SR
The full skill total was used in piloting itself. Using modifers such as crew skill, % numbers and the like.

By doing the Skill route, it allowed anyone to pilot one that had been trained at some point. And allowed you to use the Expert (NPC Class) to have helmsmen.

Just have fun doing it, and you too can watch a kender shoot itself out of a Giff accelerator.