PDA

View Full Version : I gotta know, Mac or PC, which are you loyal to, and why?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I gotta know, Mac or PC, which are you loyal to, and why?

I realize that most of us use pc's, but i have also noticed that Mac users are fiercely loyal.

So, my question to everyone here is two-fold: which and why?

Remember folks, which do you prefer, not, which do you use.

What share you?

Webhead
06-03-2009, 08:07 PM
PC. Familiarity, universally established and...it's where all the games are. I'm a gamer. If your machine doesn't play the games I want...no sale.

I'll admit though that I miss my old black-and-white Apple for one single (yet very profound) reason: Shadowgate.

:Cry:

korhal23
06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I like PCs mainly because they're what I'm used to (though I originally had Macs in school as a kid I've always had PCs at home), and because I'm far too much of a PC gamer to consider anything else. While Macs are fairly easy to use, I do not like their heavily proprietary systems (which, typically, is why they're easy to use). Macs also have the illusion of requiring less work for the owner (as evidenced by their recent ad that PCs are as easy as 1, 23 or whatever it was) when in fact much of what PC owners must do your Mac simply does in the shadows when you aren't paying attention.

What's happened is Apple has bred a generation of folks now who trust Macs because they liked their iPods and their iPhones (which, coincidently, the worst part about those damn things is the actual PHONE). I own an iPod and I like it, but there's nothing you can do on a Mac I can't do on a PC, and we have games. So... checkmate, imo. (JOKE. The checkmate part is a joke anyway. The rest is true.)

Sascha
06-03-2009, 08:28 PM
PC. Familiarity, universally established and...it's where all the games are. I'm a gamer. If your machine doesn't play the games I want...no sale.
This.

(Also, John Hodgman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgzbhEc6VVo) is my hero.)

PhishStyx
06-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I use PC because Word Perfect has no Mac or Linux version.

Freejack
06-03-2009, 08:53 PM
I prefer the Mac. I like the interface and Unix back end. It's a nice laptop and does everything I need for most of the stuff I do.

Still, I like my Windows box specifically for the power and that it has all the games on it.

The Mac is a Powerbook G4 and has sufficient power for me to admin stuff.

The Windows box has three monitors, 2.25TB of disk space, 8 Gigs of RAM, and really has a lot of capabilities for stuff I do.

From a work stand point, I prefer my Solaris system :)

Carl

Windstar
06-03-2009, 10:08 PM
PC, mainly because I built my first true gamer as a PC, and have never used or owned a Mac, nothing against Macs tho.

Windstar
:cool::cool:

Skunkape
06-04-2009, 08:38 AM
I voted PC because even though I really like Macs, there's so much more software for the PC and I can't custom build my own Mac.:)

yukonhorror
06-04-2009, 09:23 AM
my boss is a true mac purist, so that is all that is available in the lab. I like having both though for maximized versatility. Somethings are nicer on PCs, but others are nicer on macs.

Grimwell
06-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Both are great for many things. PC wins for gaming though.

Bearfoot_Adam
06-04-2009, 11:33 AM
PC for all the above reasons and for cost. If I were and artist of any school I would look at macs though since their publishing software is superior

Oldgamer
06-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I prefer PC for three reasons, price, familiarity, and game compatibility.

I've heard from some of my "computer guru" friends that would die if they had to give up their Mac's. They tell me how much better they are ... faster ... easier.

But they're too expensive, I am already familiar with PC, and I have seen a lot of game compatibility issues.

GoddessGood
06-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Cost, gaming, familiarity.

Also, the argument that, "You can run windows on a mac, too, so the gaming thing really isn't an issue," is a cop-out and, imho, admitting defeat.

MortonStromgal
06-04-2009, 01:44 PM
I like the right tool for the right job. I still hold on to a power PC mac for crunching big code because frankly it compiles a whole lot faster than an intel or amd chip. for 65% of what I do at I don't care about the operating system. For 20% I go windows (new games), 10% linux (old games), for the other 5% I prefer apple (video editing)

yukonhorror
06-04-2009, 01:56 PM
having a unix shell is what I really like about Macs. You can get them on PCs, but they aren't the same.

mrken
06-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Even though my first two computers were Mac's (IIc and IIe) we now do PC's exclusively. Back when 3.11 was the OS for business, my wife wanted a PC so she could do work while at home and bring it in on a floppy. She needed MS Office and the PC was the way to go.

Cost has been an issue. Computers used to be pretty expensive in our opinion and she would upgrade them all the time. The crate I am using now is five or six years old, but it has had two motherboards, three processors, two video cards and the RAM has been upgraded about for or five times. Even swapped out the hard drive. Can't do that with a Mac, (or a Dell, HP or a Gateway I believe). :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I love pc's, and there isn't a day that goes by that i don't use mine. I will also admit that i would love to have a Mactop (if that word isn't taken, then i'm taking credit for it), if only i could rationalize the cost.

Freejack
06-04-2009, 05:38 PM
If I had to pay for my Mac, I probably still wouldn't have one. When we were selling our place in Virginia, a Realtor put the best offer on our house along with $5,000 earnest money. He figured out that the place didn't have central air conditioning (the three wall mounted units weren't much of a clue I guess) so he wanted us to pay half the cost of installing one. We said no way so he said he wanted to take us to court. I told him that I had quit my job and we were moving to Denver so I had nothing but time, especially since my employer didn't want me to leave. Finally we split the earnest money.

With the $2,500 I bought the Powerbook. :)

Carl

templeorder
06-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I hate MAC's because they are too proprietary and i don't like their business practices of stepping on competitors. I also see the MAC UX as 10th grade high school level interface. Gee, same reasons i don't like Windows. Linux on a PC is starting to come of age and its got all the options most of us want, but its got crap-all for marketing and market penetration. You also still need to be a gear head for many things linux... but its getting better. Phones suck as content delivery vehicles. There are devices coming that have a projector in them, but i want more than a tiny interface. I think Nokia hand held devices rock. In short, i'm pretty unsatisfied in general where computers have gone... though the netbook type devices are getting there. Kindle is cool in concept...

FYI - i've been using them since c64/TRS 80 CP/M days

Valdar
06-05-2009, 04:12 PM
My mom uses a Mac. If I learned anything at all about them, she'd be calling me every day for tech support.

Dytrrnikl
06-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Macintrash or PC? Hmmm...Macintrash are good for music and video editing and nothing else, and for me a waste of technology. PCs they're the universal business machine. The only place I see the Trashes used are on college campuses. No place I've ever worked has Trashes. So, PC all the way. Also, anything that comes from Steve Jobs is very proprietary. Gotta be with AT&T for iPhone, gotta have the iTunes service for your iPod (at least from what I've heard from the people that have'em). It's a bullshit business move. Tech needs to have compatibility to be truly worthwhile, Trashes or i-anything just don't do it.

Harwel
06-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Macintrash or PC? Hmmm...Macintrash are good for music and video editing and nothing else, and for me a waste of technology. PCs they're the universal business machine. The only place I see the Trashes used are on college campuses. No place I've ever worked has Trashes. So, PC all the way. Also, anything that comes from Steve Jobs is very proprietary. Gotta be with AT&T for iPhone, gotta have the iTunes service for your iPod (at least from what I've heard from the people that have'em). It's a bullshit business move. Tech needs to have compatibility to be truly worthwhile, Trashes or i-anything just don't do it.

I worked one place that did all the marketing in-house and the art team used Macs. There was an understanding with the IT department where the IT managers basically agreed "OK, you can use it, but if you have any trouble at all, you're on your own".

Anyway, not into Macs here, for reasons people have mentioned already (proprietary, relative lack of software selection, etc). I would much rather build my own and install Windows and/or Linux.

nijineko
06-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I'll admit though that I miss my old black-and-white Apple for one single (yet very profound) reason: Shadowgate.
:Cry:

and dark castle.

I prefer PC for three reasons, price, familiarity, and game compatibility.
I've heard from some of my "computer guru" friends that would die if they had to give up their Mac's. They tell me how much better they are ... faster ... easier.
But they're too expensive, I am already familiar with PC, and I have seen a lot of game compatibility issues.

$600 dollars for a brand new mac with lots of software.

Cost, gaming, familiarity.
Also, the argument that, "You can run windows on a mac, too, so the gaming thing really isn't an issue," is a cop-out and, imho, admitting defeat.

windows is just another pane in the glass. running widows on a mac is like putting the cheap unleaded into a ferrari. you can, but why?

My mom uses a Mac. If I learned anything at all about them, she'd be calling me every day for tech support.

this is true. while macs are very easy to use... when they do quirk out or crash on you (and they will), it can be a royal pain and endless frustration to get them fixed on your own. oddly enough, you actually get what you pay for with macs. the tech support is amazing, and the applecare policy is actually worth getting, and has saved my butt several times when something serious happened. all at no extra cost to me. including shipping.

so let's be honest about this. the only difference between a mac and a pc is the number of data channels between parts, and a single chip on the motherboard. and the data channels is not a difference in over half the pcs out anyway. that leaves the single chip that tells the computer it is a mac. whoop-dee-doo.

i use both. i find i prefer my mac over the pc because i use it for graphics, animation, and video/sound editing. and macs still do have a (very) slight edge over most pcs for that. nowadays, the cost difference between a mac and a pc with similar capabilities is nil.

gaming? whatever. between the mac-only games, the games that are converted, and the unix capabilities, there's not much that can't be played on a mac. however, it is much less work to get those games running on a pc than a mac. i for one, find that the recent releases simply aren't interesting and don't hold my attention for long. probably the simple idea of playing in someone else's world instead of my own. so i wouldn't have any issues with gaming regardless of whether i have a mac or a pc. most of the computer games i play are dos games or older anyway. (autoduel anyone?)

basically, in my opinion, it boils down to this: if you are uber-graphics/animation and/or video/sound editing nerd, then mac might be something you want to consider. or if you just like the look-and-feel and want something that looks nice, is visually oriented, and isn't too expensive, that works too. but if that is not you, then buy a pc. what i recommend to people totally depends on their needs and characteristics.

i would say that 8 times out of 10, i recommend a pc to people.

Oldgamer
06-06-2009, 03:46 PM
$600 dollars for a brand new mac with lots of software.

Hmmm, send me a link. I have done a lot of searching to find a brand new Mac because about 6 months ago, when I had a good paying job, I was willing to make the leap from PC to Mac, but couldn't find anything comparable that wasn't 150%-175% the cost of a PC. PC's have gotten quite cheap, I have one I bought in '04 that came with 17" flat screen, keyboard, decent speakers & mouse for $600 and it was loaded for the time, and that was 5 years ago ...