PDA

View Full Version : Jump (& Teleport) Question

Dimthar
06-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Before I attempt this "Heroic move" I would like to have your opinion on how should it be ruled.

Lets say my PC, an Eladrin Fighter, could he in a double move, make an horizontal jump and teleport horizontally an additional 5 sq to clear a relatively "big" pit?

In case he does not make it, in whose turn it falls to the ground and take damage?

Gracias!

Farcaster
06-03-2009, 03:34 PM
I would say yes if for no other reason then it would be thematically interesting. He'd probably start falling right away, so I would probably rule that he would drop five to ten feet before he started his teleport -- if he waited until the very end of his jump anyway. If you want to find out if this sort of combined movement forms will "fly," in your GM's game and he isn't giving up the goods, you might try it in a less dangerous situation. Besides, it should help if your character has tried and practiced doing this sort of thing before.

korhal23
06-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Honestly, if you came to me as the GM, that's actually interesting enough to me that I'd let you continue your first move afterwards. Like, say you needed to jump 6 squares. I'd let you run 2 (to get the running start), jump, say, 2, BAM teleport your alloted 5 (thus clearing the gap) and then stumble your remaining 2 from the first movement. That being said, I'd probably have you acrobatics it (since that's probably fairly disorienting) DC, i dunno, 15, with a failure you'd grant combat advantage for a turn or something. Or trip and go prone. But with my opposition to straight punishing players like that, I'd probably say that above a 25 you stick the landing perfectly and get something like concealment or something.

Grimwell
06-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I too vote in the favor of this being interesting enough to let happen in my games. So what if it's deliberately stacking rules situations for the win... it's also neat.

as long jumps are a bit of a bell curve, and based on how you set it up, I'd rule that the teleport happens just before the end of the down curve, so the position after the teleport would likely be just an inch or so above the ground. Unless the ground wasn't uniform on both sides of the pit.

If the jump and teleport wasn't enough to clear, I'd handle the fall and any negative results (damage, etc.) immediately. I'd want all of this done before I moved to the next initiative order. D&D does not really simulate simultaneous actions very well, so I never worry about some actions taking more logical time than others. I worry about them being fun and well processed. :D

Valdar
06-05-2009, 05:26 PM
You can actually do this with no house rules. I believe that as written, if you can jump more squares than your Move, you spend the time between turns in midair. So, say you can jump 2 squares and have a Move of 6- you run 5, hit the edge of the pit, and move one more. Now your Move (Walk) action is ended, and you're hanging in the air. Convert your Standard action to a Move action and Teleport.

korhal23
06-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Actually, that's true Valdar. In mine, I was merely stating that I don't see any reason why he couldn't keep moving before and after the teleport, were I the DM.

But yes, Valdar is correct, and by the book you can make the move.

templeorder
06-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Yea, i would probably allow it on merit of boldness. I'm not one for splitting hairs about movement and over-legislating every circumstance with the rules...

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 09:51 AM
i would say yes i mean logically speaking as long as you prepared to teleport at the assumed high point of the jump then all that would be necessary would be a concentration check to make sure you kept your mind on your business but if you failed that then i would add a reflex check to see if your imminent death could scare the spell out of you or if at the last second you remembered what you were doing and snapped into magical action teleporting you to assumed safety now if you didn't make it i would complete the action of falling before starting another players turn
but if another player had already crossed this pit then i would give her/him a chance to save you from a certain and grim death of falling into a pit
see either way it all depends on the DM but as a person of logic i would say yes under the right conditions it would be possible supposing people are able to teleport
just ask the DM if it's allowable in the campagin and if so look for other ways to push rules as far as you think safe cause that would be awesome if you succeded

korhal23
06-06-2009, 10:06 AM
i would say yes i mean logically speaking as long as you prepared to teleport at the assumed high point of the jump then all that would be necessary would be a concentration check to make sure you kept your mind on your business but if you failed that then i would add a reflex check to see if your imminent death could scare the spell out of you or if at the last second you remembered what you were doing and snapped into magical action teleporting you to assumed safety now if you didn't make it i would complete the action of falling before starting another players turn
but if another player had already crossed this pit then i would give her/him a chance to save you from a certain and grim death of falling into a pit
see either way it all depends on the DM but as a person of logic i would say yes under the right conditions it would be possible supposing people are able to teleport
just ask the DM if it's allowable in the campagin and if so look for other ways to push rules as far as you think safe cause that would be awesome if you succeded

4E doesn't have concentration checks or reflex checks or anything of that nature. But I see what you were getting at, and I was thinking along the same lines, that's why I added the Acrobatics check for the landing.

I think we are all in agreement here, but clear it with your DM before you try because who knows what he'll say. Worst comes to worst, do it legally by the rules like we said earlier ;)

curtis
06-06-2009, 11:28 AM
I do say yes to this in my games.:cool:

Dimthar
06-06-2009, 07:25 PM
You can actually do this with no house rules. I believe that as written, if you can jump more squares than your Move, you spend the time between turns in midair. So, say you can jump 2 squares and have a Move of 6- you run 5, hit the edge of the pit, and move one more. Now your Move (Walk) action is ended, and you're hanging in the air. Convert your Standard action to a Move action and Teleport.

I found that too, but when read carefully it says you can stay in Mid-Air if your jump is part of a Double Move which by definition means doubling the effect of a given Move action. And Jumping+Teleporting is not a Double Move is 2 Moves.

But I think the consensus is that it can be done, I'll try it in the next Deadly Molten Lava Pit that I meet.