PDA

View Full Version : CD's, & DVD's, how many do you have in your collection?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-03-2009, 10:39 AM
CD's, & DVD's, how many do you have in your collection?

For me, i have over 450 audio cd's, and over 200 DVD's. Although, i once had near 1000 dvd's at one time. Yeah, i know. I got a little carried away.

If you're old school, feel free to list amounts of audio cassettes, and VHS/Beta tapes, or even 8-tracks, if you got 'em.

What share you?

GoddessGood
06-03-2009, 11:06 AM
My collection is in its infancy as, being a broke college student and not a music/movie fanatic, I have spent what little money I had on more important things ... like yarn and game books :) I may have a dozen DVDs and probably twice as many CDs. Most of my music I get from the radio and most of my watching material is via Netflix or the bewb tewb.

PhishStyx
06-03-2009, 01:02 PM
I've got maybe 450 CD's or so, but I don't have nearly as many DVD's as you. Most of what I have are TV show sets.

Oldgamer
06-03-2009, 01:23 PM
I have about 250 audio CD's, most of my music is digital though. I think I have about 600+ cassette tapes too. Not to mention the vinyl albums I have on 33 and 45! Sadly I don't have any of my 8 tracks left, though I have no way to listen to them if I did. DVD's are around 200, maybe less, but I have a ton of VHS :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-03-2009, 01:35 PM
I have about 250 audio CD's, most of my music is digital though. I think I have about 600+ cassette tapes too. Not to mention the vinyl albums I have on 33 and 45! Sadly I don't have any of my 8 tracks left, though I have no way to listen to them if I did. DVD's are around 200, maybe less, but I have a ton of VHS :)
You're in luck, Oldgamer: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m37.l1311&satitle=8+track+player&category0=

Amazing what one can purchase on Ebay.

Oldgamer
06-03-2009, 01:39 PM
you're in luck, oldgamer: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=r40&_trksid=p3907.m37.l1311&satitle=8+track+player&category0=

amazing what one can purchase on ebay.

lol! $9.99!

mrken
06-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Ugh, I don't even want to put a number on that fact. I have so many "albums" on CD's, vinyl, cassette, and open reel (ditched the 8-tracks back in the seventies). Then we have all those movies on DVD's and VHS. I don't even want to know. Shoot, we have all the Star Trek TNG episodes on VHS and those are just a small portion of the VHS. We tend to buy the movies we enjoyed or wanted to watch when they first came out. As for music, I started buying it when I was still in Junior High School (Middle School for you youngsters). When I got into High School I sort of went crazy. But when I went into the Air Force I at least tripled that. I used to buy about ten to twenty albums a month, many times more, while in the Air Force because I was getting a deal at the PX. Then came Columbia House. Sort of like NetFlix these days, except I have a hard copy of all of them.

Oldgamer
06-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Ugh, I don't even want to put a number on that fact. I have so many "albums" on CD's, vinyl, cassette, and open reel (ditched the 8-tracks back in the seventies). Then we have all those movies on DVD's and VHS. I don't even want to know. Shoot, we have all the Star Trek TNG episodes on VHS and those are just a small portion of the VHS. We tend to buy the movies we enjoyed or wanted to watch when they first came out. As for music, I started buying it when I was still in Junior High School (Middle School for you youngsters). When I got into High School I sort of went crazy. But when I went into the Air Force I at least tripled that. I used to buy about ten to twenty albums a month, many times more, while in the Air Force because I was getting a deal at the PX. Then came Columbia House. Sort of like NetFlix these days, except I have a hard copy of all of them.

One town I lived in for about 4 years had a Middle School and a Junior High. The only difference was the Middle School was for grades 6-8 and the Junior High was on 7-8, it just depended on where you lived and what grade you were in. The Junior High was where Jack Nicklaus went to school (the golfer), they had his name and picture plastered everywhere. I just found out that they changed the name of the JR high to Middle School for some reason though.

Panthro82
07-09-2009, 03:13 PM
around 400 CD's and somewhere around or over 300 DVD's including seasons of shows.

Freejack
07-09-2009, 06:01 PM
We have around 300 DVDs. I have about 2000 CDs, all ripped to the Mac. Add in Rita's 200 or so and my Mom's 200 or so and I have 108 Gigs of music and 26,000 songs. Only about 7,000 make it to the iPod and maybe 200 to the main playlist.

Carl

templeorder
07-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I have about 2,000 CD's and about 1200 DVD's... about 2000 books - 3000 including my wife's.
100% paid for.

Panthro82
07-09-2009, 11:04 PM
once in a while I will sit back and think about how much money I have spent on those avenues of art. A price to pay for enrichment.

Q-man
07-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Not a whole lot of CD's anymore. I used to have a ton, but after MP3's started getting popular I gave up on buying them. The ones I have slowly have been vanishing, either I lose them or the disc breaks. So my collection there is slowly fading, while my music collection is still growing.

DVD's I have a lot of, and I take a lot better care of them since I still use them from time to time. I have started buying a lot less since I picked up a Netflix subscription. With all the rentals I don't feel the need to buy anymore.

With Sony's BluRay discs and players started to become popular I'm dreading upgrading my collection. I'll most likely stubbornly hold onto the DVD's and just get new stuff in the new format.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Me too, Q-man. Once i picked up my Netflix subscription, i found plenty of extra money in my wallet. It has saved me literally a grand or more.

Harwel
07-10-2009, 11:20 AM
CDs are soooo last century. I have millions of tracks at my fingertips and downloadable to my PC and MP3 player for $15 a month. And yes it is 100% legal and legit.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Really, what's the site? Time to share. :biggrin:

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't think CD's or albums will ever die. Most of the time on those mp3 sites people won't download an entire album. They will just download the commercial hits and maybe 1 or 2 other songs off of it and then do the same for the next artist. A lot of artists had a story to tell through their album. It was a feel, an experience. You couldn't just listen to 3 songs to get the full effect. The cover art and artwork throughout helped along with the story. A lot of artists no longer do this, but there will always be a few.

Plus I think if an artist is really good then they deserve the money. Go into the store. Buy the album or CD to show them support. They put a lot of effort into their craft(if they are any good). The whole process has a feel to it that shouldn't be forgotten, or swept under the rug by virtual stores, and virtual albums.

Baldwin Stonewood
07-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Close to 1000 Cds and 100 Dvds. Its been 10 years since I've counted Cds.

Freejack
07-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Close to 1000 Cds and 100 Dvds. Its been 10 years since I've counted Cds.

Yea, mine are mostly all in a cabinet. I have a selection I keep out for the cd player in the garage though.

Carl

Dark Clown
07-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Plus I think if an artist is really good then they deserve the money. Go into the store. Buy the album or CD to show them support. They put a lot of effort into their craft(if they are any good). The whole process has a feel to it that shouldn't be forgotten, or swept under the rug by virtual stores, and virtual albums.

Amen brother!

Recently, Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails ended their contractual obligations to Nothing Records, and he has been self-promoting his own music. He's even gone so far as to offer an album in it's entirety for free. His idea is that if you really like the music that you heard, you'll come back for more. And being a fan of anything Trent, I did.

On topic, I have around 183 music CD's, mostly albums, though there are compilations I've made as a soundtrack for some of my games, as well as video game soundtracks and movie soundtracks. For DVDs, my list is much shorter...around 40 or so.

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 11:45 PM
yea NIN is awesome. It just hit me 2 days ago that their first album(Pretty Hate Machine) is about 20 years old now. omg I am getting old...

Dark Clown
07-13-2009, 12:31 AM
You aren't the only one Panthro. lol

Panthro82
07-13-2009, 02:52 AM
favorite albums being out a long time and also when you watch a sport and the players birth years are after yours. That's when you start to realize it.. :(

RAD7atmosphere
07-13-2009, 06:21 PM
The # gaps were so wide that I feel lame now b/c I used to be proud of my DVD collection... I have over a hundred but those have accumilated from me buying them on my 16 year old kid with no job income over the last 3 years lol. I plan to eventually have a staggering collection of them b/c my favorite thing to do is watch movie. Horror is my favorite genre btw.

Panthro82
07-13-2009, 09:48 PM
horror movies do rock.

Oldgamer
07-14-2009, 10:23 AM
favorite albums being out a long time and also when you watch a sport and the players birth years are after yours. That's when you start to realize it.. :(

Or when a comedian that you used to listen to on 8-track died at the age of 65 in 2005. Richard Pryor, RIP.

I'm also a lover of horror movies, I'd say that genre holds about 80% of my collection, from old to new.

Panthro82
07-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Richard Pryor was hysterical. Most of this generations comedians were influenced heavily by him.

There's also nothing like a good zombie flick.

Oldgamer
07-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Richard Pryor was hysterical. Most of this generations comedians were influenced heavily by him.

There's also nothing like a good zombie flick.

I wont pass them up if I can help it.

Panthro82
07-14-2009, 03:10 PM
The newest one that isn't half bad is Diary Of The Dead(2007) by George Romero. Zombies/encounters are excellent. Follows a bunch of college kids who are filming what is going on around them during the outbreak.

Oldgamer
07-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Yeah I saw that one, it wasn't his best work, but it got my craving taken care of :)

Panthro82
07-14-2009, 03:17 PM
That movie has one of the coolest zombie kills in the history of zombie kills also. Think the Amish guy with the scythe. :)

Oldgamer
07-14-2009, 03:19 PM
That movie has one of the coolest zombie kills in the history of zombie kills also. Think the Amish guy with the scythe. :)

:rockon:

RAD7atmosphere
07-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Just look up old Italian zombie movies, they are the most brutal things I have ever seen

Panthro82
07-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh I am very much familiar with the works of Dario Argento & Lucio Fulti

RAD7atmosphere
07-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Idk if this is the right thread to ask this, but has anyone seen Let The Right One In? I know it's getting pretty popular b/c of the whole future remake but it's a good movie. I think it's swedish?

Panthro82
07-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Idk if this is the right thread to ask this, but has anyone seen Let The Right One In? I know it's getting pretty popular b/c of the whole future remake but it's a good movie. I think it's swedish?

yea it is Swedish. It is incredible. It will be impossible for the remake to do anything but be horrible cause of how good the original is. It is one of the best vampire flicks of all time easily.

RAD7atmosphere
07-14-2009, 11:29 PM
yea it is Swedish. It is incredible. It will be impossible for the remake to do anything but be horrible cause of how good the original is. It is one of the best vampire flicks of all time easily.

Sorry if I offend any twilight fans with this next statement...

I feel like it sorta saved vampires from being... how do i say this... De-fanged? Sure that works. With twilight, it seemed like it focused more on the love aspect of the whole movie and the vampires seemed like some fantastical, dreamy, lovely being. Let The Right One In had that love aspect in it but it was still pretty intense.

Panthro82
07-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Sorry if I offend any twilight fans with this next statement...

I feel like it sorta saved vampires from being... how do i say this... De-fanged? Sure that works. With twilight, it seemed like it focused more on the love aspect of the whole movie and the vampires seemed like some fantastical, dreamy, lovely being. Let The Right One In had that love aspect in it but it was still pretty intense.

Yep. Vampires don't sparkle in the sunlight.....ever

RAD7atmosphere
07-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Indeed

Oldgamer
07-15-2009, 10:36 AM

Yeah ... I heard it was a great vampire movie ... but the bad sound and horrid dubbing made me pull out the DVD within the first 5 minutes. My ears are still bleeding ...

RAD7atmosphere
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
The dubbing was a mistake, it sounds like the same person who plays the boy plays like 6 other ppl lol. I prefer subtitles when watching foreign.

Oldgamer
07-15-2009, 01:43 PM
The dubbing was a mistake, it sounds like the same person who plays the boy plays like 6 other ppl lol. I prefer subtitles when watching foreign.

I prefer them acted in English :biggrin:

Dark Clown
07-16-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm just gonna say it...because that's what I do.

Twilight was such an emo piece of crap that I didn't even bother watching it. Vampires are monsters. They are not soap opera stars or models to appear in your next issue of Vanity Fair or Seventeen. And most importantly, they DO NOT FREAKIN' GLITTER IN SUNLIGHT!

Ahem...now, back to topic.

One of my favorite zombie movies just recently joined my collection...the Dawn of the Dead remake that came out a few years back...though that doesn't change the amount of DVD's but by 1. lol

goladith
07-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Most of my DVD collection is actually anime.....I'd count right now exactly, but I'm lazy.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I use to collect Hammer Films. They made the classic spaghetti vampire flicks with Christopher Lee. I love how they caught the feel of horror. Low budget at its best, I'd say.

RAD7atmosphere
07-16-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm just gonna say it...because that's what I do.

Twilight was such an emo piece of crap that I didn't even bother watching it. Vampires are monsters. They are not soap opera stars or models to appear in your next issue of Vanity Fair or Seventeen. And most importantly, they DO NOT FREAKIN' GLITTER IN SUNLIGHT!

Ahem...now, back to topic.

One of my favorite zombie movies just recently joined my collection...the Dawn of the Dead remake that came out a few years back...though that doesn't change the amount of DVD's but by 1. lol

I agree with your Twilight rant lol. And in my opinion I think that the remake is better than the original for one reason only, the biker part at the end of the original ruined it for me. It was ridiculous and dumb lol. I still liked every other aspect of it except that though lol

Arkhemedes
07-16-2009, 09:09 PM
I agree with your Twilight rant lol. And in my opinion I think that the remake is better than the original for one reason only, the biker part at the end of the original ruined it for me. It was ridiculous and dumb lol. I still liked every other aspect of it except that though lol
You know, I think if you had put just one more lol in there I think you could have broken some kind of record for the most lol's in fewest number of words. :eek:

Panthro82
07-18-2009, 01:55 PM
You know, I think if you had put just one more lol in there I think you could have broken some kind of record for the most lol's in fewest number of words. :eek:

I probably currently own that record...oh um lol lol lol lol lol :p

RAD7atmosphere
07-18-2009, 02:10 PM

Windstar
07-20-2009, 06:19 AM
My audio collection is made up of audio books from the time I spent driving a truck, they really helped the miles to go by.

Panthro82
07-22-2009, 10:34 PM
My audio collection is made up of audio books from the time I spent driving a truck, they really helped the miles to go by.

I could definitely see owning and using audio books if I were a trucker like you. Besides that though, I like the look, smell, experience of a book. My mom never reads she only does audio books. It kind of annoys me.

Arkhemedes
07-22-2009, 10:44 PM
I probably currently own that record...oh um lol lol lol lol lol :p
Yeah, come to think of it. You're probably right.

Panthro82
07-22-2009, 10:48 PM
With all the laughing I do(virtual included) I figure I will live a long time. Probably much longer than I want to. Not looking forward to the part where I get old and my body doesn't work anymore but that's the price I will pay for amusing myself so effortlessly.

NarutoAngel221
08-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I have loads of DVD and VCD I could no longer know how many are them

Panthro82
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Heres a question within this question. Do you guys go so far as to alphabetize these collections? I do, on both fronts. I even go as far on CD as to alphabetize album names within a group lol. I guess everyone is OCD about at least one thing. :)

Oldgamer
08-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Heres a question within this question. Do you guys go so far as to alphabetize these collections? I do, on both fronts. I even go as far on CD as to alphabetize album names within a group lol. I guess everyone is OCD about at least one thing. :)

Yup :) I do this exact thing. I ask my wife not to put any music or movies back for this reason, she has no organization skills and will mess mine up if she tries :biggrin:

outrider
08-11-2009, 11:51 AM
I dont even want to know. I bought records in my youth, bought 8 tracks and cassettes and now finally cds. I have bought the same albums in many different recording mediums. Most of the older stuff in all four ways. The music industry was very happy with me.

James Ruglia
08-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I have... 20-30 VHS tapes? When'd I accumulate all those? Dragon Ball Z, season 1 Pokèmon, the animated Mario show, Bucky o' Hare...

I have about 20-30(?) audio CDs. Final Fatnasy soundtracks, Evangelion music, Mario 64, Initial D, Star Ocean, traditional Japanese, and "The Best of Anime". I guess I don't actually have a single music CD by a real music artist...

I have about a dozen DVDs, consisting of Final Fantasy Unlimited and a few oddities like End of Evangelion.

And one Blu-Ray; Advent Children Complete.