PDA

View Full Version : When it comes to stories, what's your preferred format, and why?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-03-2009, 10:29 AM
When it comes to stories, what's your preferred format, and why? When answering this, assume everything is available for each format.

Is it...

1) Old school dead tree books?

2) Online sources for my pc, mac, Kindle, and related technologies.

3) Audio books

Feel free to list your favorite resources for the benefit of the rest of us.

What share you?

Harwel
06-03-2009, 10:38 AM
For stories, I prefer dead tree. For game rulebooks, I prefer PDF, mostly for search features and portability. Carrying a paperback is different from carrying a thick stack of 8.5x11 hardcovers. Yes I am lazy. :D

GoddessGood
06-03-2009, 10:58 AM
I use my computer to type up my plans, but I always print them out. If I can't jot down notes with a pencil, I'm lost. Back when I wrote poetry, I always wrote in a notebook with a pen or pencil or I couldn't get the words to flow. Something about staring at that big white emptiness and the cursor flashing at me as if to say, "TYPE SOMETHING ALREADY, YOU LOSER!"

But I digress. There is a reason I have every last released book for Exalted (really the only game I run anymore). If I have a need for a piece of info, I prefer to reference the dead tree. Do I read all the books cover to cover? No, but I could if I wanted to and in the meanwhile my bookshelf looks pretty snazzy :).

MortonStromgal
06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I used to say dead trees but I really like kindle.

agoraderek
06-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Books. Always books.

PhishStyx
06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I have a Kindle and love it a lot, but I also have roughly 100 unread paperbacks on my shelves.

For gaming books, I use my DR 1000s e-reader (http://www.irextechnologies.com/irexdr1000).
http://www.ereaderoutfitters.com/templates/Original/images/ereaderx.png

Oldgamer
06-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Dead Tree Books for me, I can't stand reading much on the computer. I do enjoy an audio book from time to time if I have a long drive.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-03-2009, 01:33 PM
I prefer novels in dead tree format. I use both dead tree and pdf for gaming material, but prefer a book. Although, admittedly, I read stuff at the office that I have my laptop. Fortunately, I can't fire myself for reading gaming material at work. :) I also listen to audio books. Basically, I like it all but do tend towards the dead tree method.

Baron_Samedi
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I prefer dead wood.

Having worked in a bookstore for a couple of years, you get used to the smell of paper and binding glue...but i do find it sad that even bookstores are trying to market those e book devices...planting the seeds of their own doom...not surprising though...most bookstores are in it for profit, not to expand knowledge...

anyway...there's always been something special about holding a book...portability not withstanding...plus books are where i keep my savings! :D

PhishStyx
06-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Dead Tree Books for me, I can't stand reading much on the computer. I do enjoy an audio book from time to time if I have a long drive.

Using a digital e-reader, like the Kindle, bears almost no resemblance to reading on a computer. My Kindle is small enough to be read like I would a smallish hardback book. E-ink screens are not backlit as laptops are; they use only reflective light from external sources or booklights because the screen is opaque. The Sony models have internal booklights in front of the screen.

The backlighting of computer screens is what causes eyestrain.

Tamburlain
06-03-2009, 07:58 PM
I would have voted for Kindle had it been a sole option, apart from laptops, which are hit or miss for me. To me, Kindle, and e-ink tech is collectively in a class of its own. Back-lit, easy on the eyes, practically paper thin. I look forward to the coming years, hopefully not too distant, when Amazon Kindle is sold as a Bi-Fold system with a color display and a better annotation system... oh, and even thinner than it is today.

At that point, it will no longer be a challenge to the sacred BOOK. It will BE a book. A magic book.

What do you think, four years?

PhishStyx
06-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I would have voted for Kindle had it been a sole option, apart from laptops, which are hit or miss for me. To me, Kindle, and e-ink tech is collectively in a class of its own. Back-lit, easy on the eyes, practically paper thin. I look forward to the coming years, hopefully not too distant, when Amazon Kindle is sold as a Bi-Fold system with a color display and a better annotation system... oh, and even thinner than it is today.

At that point, it will no longer be a challenge to the sacred BOOK. It will BE a book. A magic book.

What do you think, four years?

I think color e-ink displays are approximately 2 - 3 years away. In fact, Fujitsu already has done a color e-reader with an LCD related technology, and iRex just announced that they are working on an e-ink reader with color. I'm not sure about a bi-fold device; I've seen one or two out there, but they haven't really impressed me in any significant sense (including my daughter's Nintendo DS). But that may simply be a personal taste issue.

Everyone talks about color, but I think the real next major step will be in interactive software. Imagine being able to run an interactive choose-your-own-RPG style text and picture story game with hundreds of other people literally deciding with you how the adventure flows.

If you've never read The Diamond Age (http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Age-Illustrated-Primer-Spectra/dp/0553380966/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244078669&sr=8-1), you should check it out. (Don't miss the fact that it's in Kindle format, too!)

Tamburlain
06-03-2009, 08:57 PM
I think color e-ink displays are approximately 2 - 3 years away...

Imagine being able to run an interactive choose-your-own-RPG style text and picture story game with hundreds of other people literally deciding with you how the adventure flows.

...If you've never read The Diamond Age (http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Age-Illustrated-Primer-Spectra/dp/0553380966/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244078669&sr=8-1), you should check it out. (Don't miss the fact that it's in Kindle format, too!)

Yes, yes, yes, and hell yes! I had NS's The Diamond Age expressly in mind, in fact. Until then I'd settle for a thinner, color, Bi-Fold system, that allowed me to network wirelessly and share even un-interactive media with fellow players at the tabletop. Actually, I think I will always prefer to interact with people face-to-face, but it would be great if we could use something like a super-Kindle to collaborate in realtime.

Freejack
06-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I prefer dead tree. Looking at the backs of books, titles and such, remind me of what is in them. I can't get that from a Kindle. To me, books are similar to family pictures I guess.

So until they come up with a system that'll let me reminisce about a book and maybe pick it up and read it again (just finished Berserker Beginnings), I'll stick with dead tree.

Carl

PhishStyx
06-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I prefer dead tree. Looking at the backs of books, titles and such, remind me of what is in them. I can't get that from a Kindle. To me, books are similar to family pictures I guess.

I think there's something not quite vaguely ironic about a Shadowrunner who dislikes e-books.

So until they come up with a system that'll let me reminisce about a book and maybe pick it up and read it again (just finished Berserker Beginnings), I'll stick with dead tree.

Carl

Why couldn't you pick it up and read it again on the Kindle?
In fact with the Kindle, you can delete it, download something else, read that, and a year later re-download Berserker Beginnings to read that again.

Freejack
06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I think there's something not quite vaguely ironic about a Shadowrunner who dislikes e-books.

Ahh, don't get me wrong. I have lots of e-books, reference and gaming books including all the Shadowrun books in PDF. Preference is dead tree :)

Why couldn't you pick it up and read it again on the Kindle?
In fact with the Kindle, you can delete it, download something else, read that, and a year later re-download Berserker Beginnings to read that again.

I guess I'm more of a visual person.

http://schelin.org/stuff/library/dscn3980x250.jpg

If I walk into my library (http://schelin.org/stuff/library/) (this is the old one by the way) and pick out a shelf, I can look at the row and be reminded about a lot of stories. I can have a book visually jump out at me and I'll be interested in reading it again.

So I _could_ read Berserker Beginnings again, but looking at

Berserker Beginnings - Fred Saberhagen

Won't trigger the same desire to read the book.

I have the same issue with music. I have a couple of thousand CDs. I have an iPod and listen to it a lot. But I also have a 100 CD player and a stereo. I'll grab 10 or 20 CDs and put them in the player and listen to the actual full CD vs the occasional time it pops up on a playlist.

Yea, I can play the album from a playlist on iTunes, but it's not easy to grab 10 "CDs" and listen to them in order. And like the books, I get my visual clues from the CDs. Boston, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Buffet, AC/DC, ICP, Linkin Park, Green Day, Marilyn Manson. It's like I'm picking my mood for the day.

Carl

Malruhn
06-03-2009, 09:45 PM
PDF is an okay format - I just can't get over old, dead trees. There's something about a book in my hand that feels... more satisfying.

Tamburlain
06-03-2009, 09:55 PM
PDF is an okay format - I just can't get over old, dead trees. There's something about a book in my hand that feels... more satisfying.

Eventually that is exactly what you will be able to do with Kindle. Or, if not Kindle, a more worthy competitor. It will look like a book. It will have bound pages that consist of extremely thin, even bendable, screens. Not back-lit, mind you. It will take on any "cover" you wish. It will incorporate interactive multimedia. It will allow you to work on a crossword puzzle, or any other game, with your daughter who lives in Brazil. It will allow you to be as retro as you wish; you can write your personal email correspondence in longhand, if you so wish. You will also be able to read (safely) while taking a bubble bath.

Magic book, indeed.

Malruhn
06-05-2009, 09:13 PM
You don't want to see my longhand... that is why I rejoice at the thought that God invented movable typeface... so I could type and be legible!!!

PhishStyx
06-05-2009, 10:18 PM
You don't want to see my longhand... that is why I rejoice at the thought that God invented movable typeface... so I could type and be legible!!!

The DR already can convert my longhand (and trust me, my handwriting is GAWDAWFUL) into typeface, and the software for that is only going to get better.

tesral
06-05-2009, 11:35 PM
There is always something good about the original random access device.

Oldgamer
06-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Lol, mine used to be. But I took manual drafting the last 2 years of high school and the teacher was a hardcase ex-army Colonel and made us print in upper and lower case in 1/8" lines and the letters no bigger than 1/8" on 8 1/2 x 11 paper turned sideways (landscape) and fill the page (both sides), the first line is "A" ... the second line is "a" ... the third line is "B" and so on until my right hand was a claw from cramps. Page after page, usually 4 pages a night, each page in a different style, ie: Archetectural, Mechanical, etc ... much like Fonts that are used on computers now. I did this for 2 years and when I want my handwriting to look perfect, I can take a pen (drafting pen, not regular ball point) and you could take what I write and compare it to original typed text and not tell the difference.

We would have to go smaller to 1/16" later in the year, and then up to 1/4" so that we could go back and forth on the scales of lettering. This was the same year AutoCAD was coming out and it was on Windows first version ... none of use knew what it was, we were all used to DOS and a CAD program called Bruning CAD on a black screen with green lines created by command prompts similar to DOS commands. Since the instructors were just learning the software, we had to do it by hand. I think the curriculum included CAD the year after I graduated, much to my right hands dismay.

templeorder
06-06-2009, 11:24 AM
I prefer dead tree. My library of thousands of books is one of my crowning achievements and joys. I also prefer not to have to take electronics with me everywhere i go for everything (though i do for most). I like audio books and have a bunch, and i have e-books, but there's something nice about pages.

As for gaming, i prefer no electronics at the table... except mine. PDF's and online access to published materials is handy as a GM, though i print out most things so i can scribble notes for later.

Windstar
06-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I prefer dead tree books, but have listened to enough audio books to realize they are really cool, as long as you don't get an abridged version.

Windstar
:cool::cool: