PDA

View Full Version : The frustrations with moving. How many times have you moved in one year?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-03-2009, 10:13 AM
The frustrations with moving. How many times have you moved in one year?

Almost everyone has moved at one point or another in their lives, what is the most times everyone has moved in 1 year?

My dad was military, so put me down for 3. Kinda sucked, but we military kids adjusted fast, not to mention that we develop a bit of wanderlust after a while, but i digress.

Be sure to list locations if the inspiration hits. If you also want to share how many times you moved in your life, feel free to share with the rest of us. Heck, even share with us the place you loved living the most, and least, and why? Let's make this thread fun.

So, to everyone on these boards, how many times have you moved?

Moritz
06-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Ever since high school. I've not lived in one place for more than 3 years.

Bought a house last year. So now I sort of have 'roots'. So we'll see what happens in 2 years.

Harwel
06-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I've never moved more than once in a year. I try to avoid moving, it's a pain in the rump. I'm a homeowner now, so I'll probably be staying put for some time.

GoddessGood
06-03-2009, 10:51 AM
I have moved up to twice in one year, but I've done that three times. The first time was for an internship in Austin that lasted 3 months, so it was a move up to Austin in May and a move back down to south Texas in August. I did that again the next summer with Dallas (which ended up landing me my current job). I moved up to Dallas again the following January and moved to a more central location in December. So that's 6 moves in 4 years, and I'll likely be moving again in January to a better apartment. Don't get me wrong, I like the one I'm in fine ... it's just that the kitchen is way too small and they're likely to hike up the rent $200 a month when we renew. Contrast this with my move history before I turned 21: 5 moves in 21 years, one of which was from one apartment to a different apartment in the same complex and another of which was from a house to a parsonage (while we rented the house) and then back into the same house. 3 of my four homes were within a 20 minute drive of each other.

yukonhorror
06-03-2009, 11:27 AM
I HATE moving. In grad school, we have a saying. Helping someone move is a debt payable in blood.

Moving is such an ordeal, I probably have only moved 6 times (not including moving into dorms).

MortonStromgal
06-03-2009, 11:30 AM
I usually move somewhere between every other year and twice a year... It makes security clearance paper work soo much fun :rolleyes: with list every place you lived in X number of years.

GoddessGood
06-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Haha, and give the name, address and phone number of someone who can swear you lived there for the same period of time you said you lived there. Then tell me why you moved. Yeah, that's fun, going through every address book, ever, trying to find one more person you have enough information to contact.

Oldgamer
06-03-2009, 01:18 PM
I hate moving too. Last year it was 3 times, once from Florida to Texas following a job and twice more in Texas. Now I lost my job in Texas 2 months ago and am moving back to Florida in 2 weeks. So I almost got 4. When I was a kid, I moved around 9 times before I was 16, then when I graduated HS I moved to Fl where I stayed (minus time in military) for 17 years.

But this will probably be the last time for about 10 years because I have to default on my lease on the house I rented 2 weeks before being let go and my credit will be ruined ... but at least I will still have our house in Fl until the credit gets better. I only hope the property manager of this house in Tx has a heart and doesn't sue us for the rest of the rent (8 more months worth).

Sascha
06-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Heh, the longest I've ever lived anywhere was 5 years. Most of the time, it was more like 2. And we're packing up for yet another move next week; didn't even make it a year here. Blargh.

Baron_Samedi
06-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Considering the fact that in my almost 28 years of life, i've lived 30 places, and not being in the military...the most i've been forced to move in one year is three...but here's the wacky part...moved from a house, to an apartment to a town home in one year, but then moved into the apartment we were in before we lived in the house! I hate moving...i already feel like a gypsy...

PlattevilleGamer
06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Not including dorms, I've moved 3 times. The most recent one was ~180 miles into my current apartment. I HATE this place but I've stayed here 3 years and will be moving out in December after I graduate...the problem is I'm not sure where.

Including dorms I've moved...12 times, and thats just off the top of my head. Thank god for having an SUV where all my possessions fit because 6/9 of those moves were between Chicago and Platteville which is about 180 miles one way.

Freejack
06-03-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm 52 and just completed my 46th move. As to moves in one year, maybe 4 would be the most. I'd have to check my address list :)

California, Washington, Alabama, Rhode Island, Virginia, Maryland, Greece, Germany, and now Colorado.

My wife says this is the last one, period. She's even getting rid of all the packing boxes :D

I've visited 49 of 50 states on my motorcycle and 12 of the 13 territories and provinces in Canada.

I have real itchy feet I guess. :)

Carl

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 09:13 PM
i've been to over 18 schools in my life so far and i'm only 21
and thats only cause we WANTED to move since then i've moved countles times since then

nijineko
06-16-2009, 06:07 PM
shortly after my birth, we moved. my age did not catch up with the number of times i'd moved until i hit twenty-one, briefly. my age has not caught up since. i am now somewhere between 40-50 moves. i stopped counting after 30-ish or so. i think the most in a single year is four. i have not lived in one domicile for more than 2 years, though i have moved within the boundaries of a town or city or state a few times.

Windstar
06-16-2009, 06:39 PM
One year when I was first in the navy they moved me 4 times, god what an ordeal.

templeorder
06-16-2009, 09:47 PM
In college, i once moved out of the dorms, back home for summer, and into a house in one year... so three.
Except for one other place in 41 years, i always stay longer than a year (silverfish infestation drove me out from one place - the exception). Lived on Alki Beach in Seattle for 8 years, in my current house for 4...

Oldgamer
06-21-2009, 01:45 PM
One year when I was first in the navy they moved me 4 times, god what an ordeal.

I don't count military, for me, I was deployed about 75% of the time due to my battalion's specialties, my wife stayed on base so she didn't move ... but the USS Pelelieu moved all of the time :) As well as the lcac's, black hawks, chinooks, sea knights, dingy's, pbr's, etc ...

traesin
06-23-2009, 05:26 AM
from the age of 19 till now (35), I haven't lived at one place more that 2 years. this place will be three years(wow). One year i moved 3 times in 4 months. that sucked,