PDA

View Full Version : RPG related tattoos, fess up if you have 'em?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-02-2009, 11:08 PM
RPG related tattoos, fess up if you have 'em?

Ran into a gamer recently that had a tattoo of a dire shark, the one that killed his longest living character, on his arm. Under it, it said RIP, and then the name. Which escapes me at the moment.

Thinking about this chance meeting, i recalled throughout the day others that have tattooed rpg related pics on themselves that i have met throughout my life(been playing for over 30 years). I even heard a rumor that Vin Diesel has a tattoo of his favorite dnd character on his arm. Cant confirm this, though.

So, anyone on this site want to admit to a game-related tattoo on his or her person, and if so, give the rest of us a little background on said tattoo/s.

What share you?

GoddessGood
06-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Haha, no game related tattoos atm. I have seen a Blue Sun tattoo (Serenity) and someone on another forum had the sun logo from Exalted tattoo'd on, I think, a bicep. If I did get a tattoo, it'd be my scottish clan's crest (http://www.scotchcorner.com/clan-crest/kerr-crest.jpg) (for those of you who don't speak latin, the motto is "Late, but in earnest.")

PhishStyx
06-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Sorry, no tattoos on me. My wife would be furious with me if I got one.

Moritz
06-03-2009, 08:37 AM
No tattoos for me. I wear Hawaiian shirts. That's tacky enough.

PlattevilleGamer
06-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Haha, no game related tattoos atm. I have seen a Blue Sun tattoo (Serenity) and someone on another forum had the sun logo from Exalted tattoo'd on, I think, a bicep. If I did get a tattoo, it'd be my scottish clan's crest (http://www.scotchcorner.com/clan-crest/kerr-crest.jpg) (for those of you who don't speak latin, the motto is "Late, but in earnest.")

Is it bad that your the only one I pictured having a tattoo out of all the usual posters on these forums...I won't mention where my imagination had it either.

GoddessGood
06-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Is it bad that your the only one I pictured having a tattoo out of all the usual posters on these forums...I won't mention where my imagination had it either.
:redface:

When I was 19 and got my first job (pizza delivery), I swore that the very first thing that my very first paycheck was going to buy me was a tattoo. Afterall, I was an adult now and had a paying gig, my own car and a cell phone (gasp!), therefore I could do anything I wanted, right? Nope. My first paycheck was $200. That paid for the gas I used to deliver pizzas, my cell phone bill and lunch for the two weeks until I got paid again. Life has some hard reality checks. I don't have the tattoo I want yet because my sister and I are getting the same one in the same place, so we want to get it at the same time by the same artist (so it'll look, wait for it ... the same). As she has just moved up to Dallas, I figure I don't have too much longer to wait. Now to find a good tattoo artist ...

Also, I confess to having wanted a barcode tattoo for the longest time. If I did get one, it'd probably be the barcode off the first edition Exalted core book. That counts as gaming related, right? ;)

mnemenoi
06-03-2009, 09:45 AM
I'll admit to having one. Me and another friend acquired the Black spiral tribal glyph from Werewolf the apoc. over our hearts (palm sized, give or take) which we delightfully refer to as our 'heartworms'. The coil song of the same name was our likely inspiration, that and copious amounts of scotch.

http://www.badgersden.com/MT/GarouGlyphs/bsd.gif

tesral
06-03-2009, 09:50 AM
No ink. There is nothing I want etched on my hide. However if I did it would likely be game related.

Mead
06-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm the Blue Sun guy, pic is in my profile
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Mine would make a good one too, but I've got a list already :)

http://www.scotclans.com/img/scottish_clans/scott/crest_big.gif

Harwel
06-03-2009, 10:36 AM
5 tattoos, none game related, and no plans for such.

yukonhorror
06-03-2009, 11:12 AM
no tattoos, but if I got one, it probably wouldn't be game related. I am thinking of getting something with my kids names on it (when said kids are born).

MortonStromgal
06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I plan on getting pi and e. but nothing gaming related, sorry. Ive seen a few vampire and mechwarrior tats over the years though.

yukonhorror
06-03-2009, 12:09 PM
I bet 1 out of 100 understand why you have an e on you.

GoddessGood
06-03-2009, 01:03 PM
I plan on getting pi and e. but nothing gaming related, sorry. Ive seen a few vampire and mechwarrior tats over the years though.
Oh man, I just got this awesome mental image of a sleeve tattoos of 3.1415926 ... spiraling around one arm and 2.71828 ... on the other. lol, man I'm such a nerd :)

e to the x, dy, dx
e to the x, dx
secant, cosine, tangent, sine!
3.14159!
Integer! Integer! Ra ra ra!

yukonhorror
06-03-2009, 01:07 PM
wow, you know a lot of places for e.

Yes nerd tattoos are awesome.

Oldgamer
06-03-2009, 01:12 PM
You might like some of these (http://www.uniquescoop.com/2009/05/scientific-tattoos.html) then.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-03-2009, 01:20 PM
You might like some of these (http://www.uniquescoop.com/2009/05/scientific-tattoos.html) then.
I never knew they had glow-in-the-dark tattoos (if that, in fact, was what i was looking at), thanks for posting, Oldgamer.

Oldgamer
06-03-2009, 01:23 PM
That was cool wasn't it? I didn't know they had them either. I wonder how long the substance lasts?

GoddessGood
06-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Aww man. I feel sorry for the person with the quadratic formula on the back of their neck. Also, I want a blacklight reactive tattoo!

MortonStromgal
06-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh man, I just got this awesome mental image of a sleeve tattoos of 3.1415926 ... spiraling around one arm and 2.71828 ... on the other. lol, man I'm such a nerd :)

e to the x, dy, dx
e to the x, dx
3.14159!

I was just going to do one symbol in flames on one arm and the other in ice on the other arm.

korhal23
06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
That was cool wasn't it? I didn't know they had them either. I wonder how long the substance lasts?

It's permanent. I've seen entire tattoos that don't even show up hardly until you turn the lights off or shine a black light at them :P

Mead
06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Aww man. I feel sorry for the person with the quadratic formula on the back of their neck. Also, I want a blacklight reactive tattoo!

Forget if it's the glowdark tats or the blacklights, but one of those has metal content in the ink and can disqualify you for MRIs.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Forget if it's the glowdark tats or the blacklights, but one of those has metal content in the ink and can disqualify you for MRIs.
I had to get a MRI a year back, having this sort of tattoo(as cool as it is) would have really complicated my medical needs. As of now, Thoth has no tattoos to speak of.

MortonStromgal
06-05-2009, 11:07 AM
I had to get a MRI a year back, having this sort of tattoo(as cool as it is) would have really complicated my medical needs. As of now, Thoth has no tattoos to speak of.

Thats good to know!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Thats good to know!
LOL I guess i totally walked in to that one.

tesral
06-05-2009, 12:02 PM

What are the ones you do not speak of?

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 09:06 PM
yes actually.......my bro ran a campaign based on the quake series
i have the quake symbol on my left upper forearm

cpljarhead
06-06-2009, 09:15 PM
two tattoos here. 1 on each arm, but not game related although the next one i get is a dragon that i designed. the ones i have a re the marine corps emblem and a bulldog ripping thru my skin with the words semper fi underneath. i've seen too many tattoos to recount but most were not qualified to be called rpg related.

templeorder
06-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Does anyone remember the deck of many things?
http://www.incarna.net/host/kelly/personal/tattoo/TattooYinYang.jpg

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Heck Yeah, templeorder. One of if not my favorite magic items of all time. I'm old school.

Oldgamer
06-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Here's one for food if you're a "foodie":

http://www.guidespot.com/guides/tattoos_unique_food_artists

Panthro82
07-05-2009, 12:33 PM
so Thoth, the ones you don't speak of? Do you have a Joanie Loves Chachie Tattoo?

One of the ones I plan on getting is a quote with Carnage from the Spider-Man comics lurking behind one of the words with his hand on the letter and his head peeking out from behind it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Who needs that tatoo when one has the original authentic Kung Fu lunck box. Yep, meesa cool, as Jar Jar Binks would say.

Panthro82
07-05-2009, 03:26 PM
ugh! Let us never speak of Jar Jar Binks again. That character made me literally hate George Lucas for years.

Etarnon
09-14-2009, 06:41 AM
I have a tattoo of a unicorn with wings like a pegasus, leaping from a cliff with wings spread to fly off into the sunset. It's 25 years old, I got it in San Diego in 1984, when I was 18.

In a different thread, Arch Lich Thoth-Amon bid me to show it here.

Thus:
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm79/Etarnon/pegasus.jpg

Freejack
09-14-2009, 06:39 PM
If I were to get a gaming one, it'd be either a Beholder or something tech (Shadowrun) related (or both :D ).

I do currently have a spider dropping down from my hair with the strand of web.

http://l-userpic.livejournal.com/21959512/523373 (http://www.schelin.org/personal/weight/dscn4254x601.jpg)

I'm pretty hairy so click the picture at your own risk :D

Carl

JessHartley
09-14-2009, 09:58 PM

e to the x, dy, dx
e to the x, dx
3.14159!

This one is kinda nifty!

http://www.notcot.org/post/2308/

Not me, btw. I have none yet, although I've promised myself that when I get my first original fiction novel on the shelf, I'll have the emblem for Seshat, the Egyptian First Scribe/Lady of Libraries put on the back of my neck.

http://tinyurl.com/nogmdl
and
http://tinyurl.com/lodk54

My husband will design a stylized version, that suits my nature, when the time comes.

~jess

Farcaster
09-14-2009, 10:54 PM
I dunno, Jess, that might get mistaken for a cannabis leaf.

JessHartley
09-14-2009, 11:05 PM

More likely a daisy, with the designs we're looking at.

traesin
09-15-2009, 03:02 AM
I have 2 tattoos. One on my shoulder blade which is a dragon holding a shield with the Rebel Alliance symbol. The other one is on my upper arm. It says "Lotus game over 2002". My Gamer buddy Quentin died in 2002. His gamer name was Lotus.

XeroDrift
09-21-2009, 10:29 PM
I have no tattoos as of yet, however, those I have considered have all been related to rpgs directly or at least of a fantastical or mythical origin.

Lol, good lookin out for the colleague Farcaster

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-26-2009, 06:15 PM
4 tattoos, none game related. yet!

I WILL be getting the second Death Star on my left shoulder at some point. And have been considering getting a d20 somewhere.

I have so many plans for other tattoos that the d20 might come last after the other 6 I wanna get!

kkriegg
10-26-2009, 07:22 PM
I knew a guy who had a the rebel alliance symbol tattooed on his arm.

tesral
10-26-2009, 10:34 PM
There are Star Wars fans and Star Wars Fans.

michael
10-27-2009, 07:42 AM
:redface:

When I was 19 and got my first job (pizza delivery), I swore that the very first thing that my very first paycheck was going to buy me was a tattoo. Afterall, I was an adult now and had a paying gig, my own car and a cell phone (gasp!), therefore I could do anything I wanted, right? Nope. My first paycheck was $200. That paid for the gas I used to deliver pizzas, my cell phone bill and lunch for the two weeks until I got paid again. Life has some hard reality checks. I don't have the tattoo I want yet because my sister and I are getting the same one in the same place, so we want to get it at the same time by the same artist (so it'll look, wait for it ... the same). As she has just moved up to Dallas, I figure I don't have too much longer to wait. Now to find a good tattoo artist ...

Also, I confess to having wanted a barcode tattoo for the longest time. If I did get one, it'd probably be the barcode off the first edition Exalted core book. That counts as gaming related, right? ;)

I have a barcode tattoo. I would recommend against getting one. for 3 reasons:

1. It will not scan.
2. Every once in a while you have a veeeery uncomfortable conversation about it.
3. As you age, you skin moves around and the lines bend, fatten up, get skinnier and generally look like a parody of a barcode.

DeadMike
10-27-2009, 12:54 PM
I doubt this qualifies, but I got a cover up tat that was in one of the World of Darkness books. I think it was a Vampire the Gathering book. Anyway it is a black lili on my upper chest just below my color bone on my right side. Hence my name DeadMike, as I already have the lili on my chest. It is there to cover a name of my ex step-daughter. I figured since I haven't seen or talked to her in over 20 years, no harm done. My other six are not game related.
Mike

XeroDrift
10-27-2009, 05:41 PM
When I was a kid, a friend of my uncle had a Beholder on his shoulder, it was quite well done too.

Arkhemedes
10-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Would that be an over-the-shoulder-beholder?

kkriegg
10-28-2009, 01:13 AM
I have a barcode tattoo. I would recommend against getting one. for 3 reasons:

1. It will not scan.
2. Every once in a while you have a veeeery uncomfortable conversation about it.
3. As you age, you skin moves around and the lines bend, fatten up, get skinnier and generally look like a parody of a barcode.

All sound reasons not to have a tattoo at all, period. I would also add "make you easier to identify in a lineup."

But as for #2, what kind of uncomfortable conversations? Come on, let's hear it!

XeroDrift
10-28-2009, 01:39 PM
when his arm was in a sling it was an over-the-shoulder-beholder-holder

Rathor
10-29-2009, 02:10 AM
If I ever had one it would likely be the inscription from the one ring.

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-29-2009, 08:50 AM
If I ever had one it would likely be the inscription from the one ring.

That would be awesome! It would be even more awesome to get it tattooed around a finger as if it were the one ring!

traesin
10-29-2009, 08:52 AM
My next one is going to be either another dragon or a design based on my favorite character.

tesral
10-29-2009, 10:34 AM
That would be awesome! It would be even more awesome to get it tattooed around a finger as if it were the one ring!

You would have to find one Hell of an artist.

Rathor
10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Yea would have to be.The only thing worse then having the one ring tattooed on you is having it done badly.

tesral
10-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Bingo!

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-29-2009, 02:08 PM
There are so many great tattoo artists out there that it shouldnt be too difficult to have the one ring tattooed on your finger. It may require going to a convention to locate said great artists, but still.

It also depends on how much you wanna spend on a tattoo. Like the old adage goes; you get what you pay for. that couldnt be more true with regards to tattoos.

tesral
10-30-2009, 01:54 AM
It's a long phrase, in a unfamiliar script to be placed around your finger. I don't know that it could even be done. You can only get a tattoo line so thin.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/23/One_Ring_inscription.svg/454px-One_Ring_inscription.svg.png
Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Rathor
10-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Yea I see what your saying its unlikely to fit.

tesral
10-30-2009, 11:16 AM
You might get the first phrase "One ring to Rule them all", but you would need one fat finger to fit all of it. It might make a cool armband.

DeadMike
10-30-2009, 03:23 PM
There are so many great tattoo artists out there that it shouldnt be too difficult to have the one ring tattooed on your finger. It may require going to a convention to locate said great artists, but still.

It also depends on how much you wanna spend on a tattoo. Like the old adage goes; you get what you pay for. that couldnt be more true with regards to tattoos.

I can't agree with that. There are so many good tattoo artists, but damn few great ones. Also, I've seen people pay way more, and less than the work done.
I always tell people before they get their first tattoo is to go back home and rethink it. Make damn sure they want it because it will be there forever. IF they still want it, do some research. People will walk into ANY tattoo shop after they decide they want one with no thought about who is doing the work for them. I've seen too many people with a tattoo they wanted, but now don't because the work isn't as good as they thought it would be. People will spend a lot more time doing research for many other things that they will have for not long at all and do no research in finding the right artist for a tattoo which they will have forever. I still can't figure out why.
Mike

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-30-2009, 09:41 PM
I can't agree with that. There are so many good tattoo artists, but damn few great ones. Also, I've seen people pay way more, and less than the work done.
I always tell people before they get their first tattoo is to go back home and rethink it. Make damn sure they want it because it will be there forever. IF they still want it, do some research. People will walk into ANY tattoo shop after they decide they want one with no thought about who is doing the work for them. I've seen too many people with a tattoo they wanted, but now don't because the work isn't as good as they thought it would be. People will spend a lot more time doing research for many other things that they will have for not long at all and do no research in finding the right artist for a tattoo which they will have forever. I still can't figure out why.
Mike

True but what does that have to do with good/great tattoo artists? You should always spend the extra money for the better product and should always do your research about said product before hand. For those that don't and end up with crappy tattoos that is their own fault not the tattoo artists fault. If you don't look around you might end up with an apprentice practicing on you. Also, check out the artist's work. A good tattoo shop should have the all of their artists work in portfolios so you can choose one. Then check out the artist, look and see who has done their tattoos!

Half-@ssing anything you end up with half-@ssed results.

It's a long phrase, in a unfamiliar script to be placed around your finger. I don't know that it could even be done. You can only get a tattoo line so thin.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/23/One_Ring_inscription.svg/454px-One_Ring_inscription.svg.png
Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

yes, you are correct, that is a bit much to fit around a finger. Still would be bad @ss if you could though!

Malruhn
10-30-2009, 10:26 PM
I actually saw that tattooed around a guy's finger. It was the TINIEST of lines - and it went all the way around in a reddish-black ink. I thought it looked weird until it struck me...

It looked just like it had been BURNED into his finger - as if the One Ring had been heated up and then the letters branded him.

It was OUTSTANDING!!

I have three tats - all of which I have dedicated to my service in the Army.

My first was a pair of eyes... much like Gomer Pyle's tattoo that was stopped after the dancing girl's NOSTRILS were done, I got it after my first tour in the Army. I say that it really "opened my eyes to what was outside of extremely rural northern Wisconsin."
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Malruhn/Eye-eye.jpg

My second was after I spent another tour in the Army and deployed for Operation Just (Be)Cause - the invasion of Panama. It's another eye, but this one (hard to see), has a skull in the pupil. I say that THIS was when my eyes were TRULY opened, and it impressed upon me that the only thing that I really didn't like about myself was the fact that I was mortal.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Malruhn/Eye.jpg

My most recent tat was a lipstick stain, for which there are no photos allowed on family websites like this... Strategically located, I got it after my last stint with the Army, during which I deployed on Operations Desert Storm and Provide Comfort I&II. About this one I just say, "After this, for the Army to get me back, they'll have to suck my (insert uncouth term for male genitalia here)."

I am now searching for a new tat. I need an artist, though... it will be a small pile of puzzle pieces, each with a different picture on/in them, from all the "pieces that make up the whole me." Some day...

However, I believe the neatest tattoo I have ever seen was a life size can of Budweiser beer... done around a guy's member. Three things sprang to mind...
1. That artwork was spectacular - ALL of the fine-print was visible so far as I could tell.
2. That must have hurt like HELL!!
3. I am staring at a man's junk with my mouth hanging open... :eek: um... ewwww. :lol:

We ended up friends - and he said that it had indeed hurt like hell when he got it. He was quite a hit at parties... "WHO WANTS TO DRINK SOME BUD STRAIGHT FROM THE CAN?!?!" What can I say... we were frat brothers, we pretty much stayed drunk, and we were all 18, going on 12. :biggrin:

He loved playing Rangers and Thieves (AD&D - 1st Edition).