PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading? What are you gonna read next?

PhishStyx
06-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Since the fiction that I read has a major affect on how I run games and on what I run, I'm curious about everyone else.

What are you reading, and what is your next book? I'm asking specifically about fiction, poetry, philosophy, and current events (ie politics).

Currently, I'm reading 2 books:
Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson (http://www.amazon.com/Quicksilver/dp/B000FC1PJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1243888732&sr=1-1) and Vellum by Hal Duncan (http://www.amazon.com/Vellum-Book-All-Hours/dp/B000GCFWEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1243888792&sr=1-1)

One of the best descriptions of Quicksilver that I've come across is on Amazon, "We readers are guided on a tour of the intellectual landscape in England from the time of the English Civil War through to the Glorious Revolution. Stephenson entangles us in the religious/political mayhem that ran rampant during that time. From Versailles, to Venice to the hodge-podge of flyspeck Germanic sub-principalities, we gain a feeling for the incestuous interconnectedness of the royal and noble families that were accustomed to being the only Powers That Mattered at the time. Juxtaposed against them, we are introduced to the coterie of geniuses who flourished at the time and whose scientific and philosophical endeavors reshaped the way people came to view the world."

Vellum is more of a re-telling of all the world's myths in a single non-linear story based around the idea that myths change and repeat themselves throughout history. I tend to enjoy this kind of thing, and I like using similar concepts in my games.

For my next books I'm trying to decide right now between Anathem by Neal Stephenson (http://www.amazon.com/Anathem-ebook/dp/B0015DPXKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1243889971&sr=1-1), Perdido Street Station by China Mieville (http://www.amazon.com/Perdido-Street-Station-China-Mieville/dp/0345459407/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243892933&sr=8-2), and This is Not A Game by Walter Jon Williams (http://www.amazon.com/This-Not-Game-Novel/dp/B001UL3ABY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1243892895&sr=1-3).

Windstar
06-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Am listening to 2 audio books,

Demon Wars by RA Salvatore, excellant

Ho-Ho WHAT!

And Elantris

Windstar
:cool::cool:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Currently reading two books, well, three books, if you count my textbook for skool.

1) The Complete Chronicles of Conan, Robert E. Howard
2) How to Write a Selling Screenplay, by Christopher Keane
3) Managerial Accounting, by Noreen, Brewer, & Garrison

What's on deck?

1) Warriors of the Sound Current, by Steve DeWitt
2) Economics, by... don't know the author, yet.

Tamburlain
06-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Since the fiction that I read has a major affect on how I run games and on what I run, I'm curious about everyone else.

What are you reading, and what is your next book? I'm asking specifically about fiction, poetry, philosophy, and current events (ie politics).

Currently, I'm reading 2 books:
Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson (http://www.amazon.com/Quicksilver/dp/B000FC1PJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1243888732&sr=1-1) and Vellum by Hal Duncan (http://www.amazon.com/Vellum-Book-All-Hours/dp/B000GCFWEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1243888792&sr=1-1)

Yes, I'm almost always influenced in my gaming by what I am reading! Neal Stephenson is tops.

I am just finishing Lavondyss by Robert Holdstock, and I've been brainstorming and looking at different rpg systems that might allow for a campaign based on the books in his mythago cycle (http://www.robertholdstock.com/main.html). Haven't come up with anything suitable just yet... One of the challenges is the need for the system to be able to support simultaneously an Authuriana-styled setting AND a modern setting.

PhishStyx
06-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Yes, I'm almost always influenced in my gaming by what I am reading! Neal Stephenson is tops.

I am just finishing Lavondyss by Robert Holdstock, and I've been brainstorming and looking at different rpg systems that might allow for a campaign based on the books in his mythago cycle (http://www.robertholdstock.com/main.html). Haven't come up with anything suitable just yet... One of the challenges is the need for the system to be able to support simultaneously an Authuriana-styled setting AND a modern setting.

Cool, you should definitely start up a thread about the Mythago Cycle in the fantasy discussion forum. I would be very interested in knowing what elements that you're looking to replicate in game.

templeorder
06-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Reading Alexanders Tomb, Forbidden Planets, and The Singularity is Near... and the latest issue of KMT.

Will be reading... either the next George R.R. Martin song of fire and ice book, or his obituary.

Mead
06-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Endymion (Simmons, not the poem), Skeleton Crew, Dune

I rotate based on how much time I have between shifts and what my mood is on a given day. Got System of the World in the backseat, but haven't started it yet.

PhishStyx
06-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Got System of the World in the backseat, but haven't started it yet.

Yep, that's about 3,000 pages, right there.
Have some popcorn, you'll be a while. :popcorn:

I hope you got it on the Kindle. Otherwise, it's about 10 pounds!:ballchain:

Mindbomb
06-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Currently reading Goblin Hero by Tim Hines http://www.sff.net/people/jchines/Goblins/ Really a great series, this is the second book and already I can't wait to read the third. It takes a goblins point of view on quests and adventuring/adventurers and gets pretty hilarious. I'm actually thinking of running a campaign with all gimped characters from the ideas I've gotten from these books.

Will be reading... either the next George R.R. Martin song of fire and ice book, or his obituary.

Agreed, hopefully that September release date rumored is true...

Mead
06-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Yep, that's about 3,000 pages, right there.
Have some popcorn, you'll be a while. :popcorn:

I hope you got it on the Kindle. Otherwise, it's about 10 pounds!:ballchain:

Dead tree ftw. I'm a traditionalist.

TheSmartestLemming
06-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Currently reading Goblin Hero by Tim Hines http://www.sff.net/people/jchines/Goblins/ Really a great series, this is the second book and already I can't wait to read the third. It takes a goblins point of view on quests and adventuring/adventurers and gets pretty hilarious.

You should check out the web comic Goblins life through their eyes http://www.goblinscomic.com/

It starts off just funny, and then gets really serious, and funny.

drewshi
06-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Currently reading The Garbage Man by Joseph D'Lacey.

Next I'm reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy as I do every summer.

GoddessGood
06-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Currently reading an anthology of H.P. Lovecraft and enjoying it more and more as I go. Call of Cthulhu is the next one, so I'll have to secure a largeish chunk of time for solitary reading. The bf tends to plop down next to me and start chatting about whatever video game he's playing even though I'm clearly not interested and am trying to read :)

Afterwards, I've been meaning to read Hamilton's The Harlequin, but I want to re-read the one before that in the series to refresh myself on the story-line. After that, I'll probably pick up the 10 pound monstrosity that Coyote5 told me was required reading for qualification to adult humanity. Namely, the collected Amber books :).

Kaewin
06-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Right now I am rereading Gurps 3rd ed and hope to be reading Gurps 4th Supers or Even Arcane Power.

Of and on I am rereading American Gods be Neil Gaiman and the new National Geographic came it last week.

PlattevilleGamer
06-02-2009, 09:36 AM
I've forgotten the title of the book I was most recently reading...I think it was called "Adventures in Polynomia" or something like that. It was a book on the different tangents one can go down when studying polynomials.

After I find and finish that book I am going to look into finishing "Sherlock homes in Babylon" which as a compilation of historical mathematics articals that I started reading in April but got distracted.

I am also thinking about getting my hands on a College Geometry text, but I'm not sure I can work though that on my own. I should also start working though my number theory book seeing how I'm doing an independent study on that starting in September.

Oh and I've been meaning to read the newest BESM handbook that I downloaded back in February...

Tamburlain
06-02-2009, 09:43 AM
I've forgotten the title of the book I was most recently reading...I think it was called "Adventures in Polynomia" or something like that. It was a book on the different tangents one can go down when studying polynomials.

After I find and finish that book I am going to look into finishing "Sherlock homes in Babylon" which as a compilation of historical mathematics articals that I started reading in April but got distracted.

I am also thinking about getting my hands on a College Geometry text, but I'm not sure I can work though that on my own. I should also start working though my number theory book seeing how I'm doing an independent study on that starting in September.

So just not doing a lot of bathtub reading, eh. ;)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Next I'm reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy as I do every summer.[/quote]

LOTR every summer? Very cool.

[quote=GoddessGood;81384]Currently reading an anthology of H.P. Lovecraft and enjoying it more and more as I go. Call of Cthulhu is the next one, so I'll have to secure a largeish chunk of time for solitary reading. The bf tends to plop down next to me and start chatting about whatever video game he's playing even though I'm clearly not interested and am trying to read :)

I've been wanting to read H.P Lovecrafts anthology. Glad to hear it's enjoyable. Be sure to give us(me, especially) you final opinion on said book when you complete it.

GoddessGood
06-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I've been wanting to read H.P Lovecrafts anthology. Glad to hear it's enjoyable. Be sure to give us(me, especially) you final opinion on said book when you complete it.
Already started :) I've read 7 of the 16 stories in that book and have reviewed them in my blog. Though it occurs to me I didn't put the entry in the right categories. D'oh!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Already found it and responded. Thanks for the blog, GoddessGood.

PlattevilleGamer
06-02-2009, 10:47 AM
So just not doing a lot of bathtub reading, eh. ;)

Nope but most of my reading is done in the bathroom...hence why I tend to not get very far into books.

Mead
06-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Currently reading an anthology of H.P. Lovecraft and enjoying it more and more as I go. Call of Cthulhu is the next one, so I'll have to secure a largeish chunk of time for solitary reading. The bf tends to plop down next to me and start chatting about whatever video game he's playing even though I'm clearly not interested and am trying to read :)

Afterwards, I've been meaning to read Hamilton's The Harlequin, but I want to re-read the one before that in the series to refresh myself on the story-line. After that, I'll probably pick up the 10 pound monstrosity that Coyote5 told me was required reading for qualification to adult humanity. Namely, the collected Amber books :).

Just a few weeks ago I finished (again) my Thing on the Doorstep omnibus. Lent it to a dude at work, be surprised if I ever see it again.

Oldgamer
06-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Read Duma Key from Stephen King, now reading his Just After Sunset. Not sure where I'm going after this, maybe finishing what I haven't from R. Howard.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-02-2009, 02:30 PM
My non-work related reading is currently: Bladesinger.

My next book will be the Trial of Cyric the Mad (I finally located, at a reasonable price, this out of print title)

I purchased the following books today:

Dragons Dwarven Depths - Weis & Hickman
The Black Talon - Richard Knaack
The Fire Rose - Richard Knaack

Baron_Samedi
06-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm reading The Elfish Gene by Mark Barrowcliffe...a memoir about growing up in the seventies, playing D&D in England...juxtapose raging hormones and trying to be nice to girls and deciding how the glint of a flaming sword would look on polished +2 armor...

Waiting for the next Horus Heresy book at the end of the month...then i've got to wait until March or April of next year until the new one comes out...:mad:

Freejack
06-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I just finished reading The Iceman, Confessions of a Mafia Hit Man. Picked up at the spur of the moment at the book store. Prior to that, I read Patient Zero, a pretty good Zombie type book and Berserker Beginnings. Now that I have the books unpacked (mostly), I've been reading some of my comic books. Sherman's Lagoon and You Damn Kid.

Since I'm playtesting and proofreading for Catalyst, I'm reading material from them as well, but I can divulge what it is. NDA don't you know :)

I'm also reading the OpenView Administrator's Guide and the Javascript Missing Manual (found a couple of things I was looking for).

I'm checking out my library tonight for the next book to read and probably stopping by Borders or Barnes and Noble to scope out the selection and find something interesting and new.

Carl

Mindbomb
06-04-2009, 08:40 PM
You should check out the web comic Goblins life through their eyes http://www.goblinscomic.com/

Thanks, bookmarked....

Mead
06-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Iceman is a good one, finished that early this year.

Spycraft is another good one, CIA covert ops from inception to not-quite-present.

Tamburlain
06-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Cool, you should definitely start up a thread about the Mythago Cycle in the fantasy discussion forum. I would be very interested in knowing what elements that you're looking to replicate in game.

Okay, PhishStyx. I took your advice and posted a thread soliciting advice on which rpg system might best be suited to replicate the setting from Mythago Wood that I have in mind. It's a little wordy, but if you get a chance to skim it, I'd be grateful for your advice.

Oldgamer
06-05-2009, 01:34 PM

Oh mna, that is hilarious! And addicting! I went through maybe 50 pages before I had to force myself to stop ... when Kore the Dwarven Paladin from Beyond the Godskull Mountains cleared the tavern and found the gbolins warcamp map ... this toon is hilarious, a must read. I don't have a clue how many there are though, I only got to Sunday Sept. 18th 2005 :)

Dytrrnikl
06-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Here's the latest novels I've just finished reading in the last couple of days
Turncoat, Devil in the White City, Kaffir Boy, and The Appeal.

I'll probably go back and reread the Sword of Truth series again, mainly to remove the stupendous crap that is Legend of the Seeker from my brain.

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 09:03 PM
i am currently reading the discworld series and am missing very few books as of now i think like 3-5 but i'm not sure without counting

Mindbomb
06-06-2009, 10:21 PM
i am currently reading the discworld series and am missing very few books as of now i think like 3-5 but i'm not sure without counting

I absolutely love Pratchett and all things Discworld. I am truly sad about his early onset Alzheimer's but can look forward to all the books I've missed in his huge collection and passing them on and reading them to my kids. What a wonderful author and world he's created.