PDA

View Full Version : Independent RPGs in Forums

Tamburlain
06-01-2009, 04:20 PM
In addition to the current division of threads by game genre (horror, modern, fantasy, etc.), I wish there was a single permanent section in the Forums devoted to lesser-known and/or indie rpgs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_role-playing_game) and storytelling games.

Scattered around a dozen or so threads in the forums, I've discovered great recommendations, and even some play reports, of indie mainstays such as Sorcerer, Dogs in the Vineyard, Burning Wheel, etc., but it might be nice to have a single location to discuss them.

As much as I like the old popular favorites, I wish more people knew about alternatives to D&D and WoD...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Hey, you forgot to mention my WFRP and Traveller rpgs, Tamburlain.

I second Tamburlain's motion.

Tamburlain
06-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Hey, you forgot to mention my WFRP and Traveller rpgs, Tamburlain.

How could I have forgotten?? :)

If PaPG creates a section, you'll have to ride herd on those two, neither of which I've played.

PhishStyx
06-01-2009, 05:20 PM
As much as I like the old popular favorites, I wish more people knew about alternatives to D&D and WoD...

Agreed, and I've said as much around here for a long time to no good.

For example, there is no place here to discuss a Star Wars game that is NOT D20 based, even though West End Games had the license for many years with a D6 system and that game is still enjoyed in many places.

Farcaster
06-01-2009, 05:34 PM
So the new section would be "Independent / Small Press Games?"

I've also been interested in helping out some of the smaller indie game companies by hosting forums here for them. That section could have a sub-section for any particular games that would like to have their forums hosted here as well.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Very cool how this thread is turning out. Just another example how cool P&PG is.

Tamburlain
06-01-2009, 05:43 PM
So the new section would be "Independent / Small Press Games?"

I've also been interested in helping out some of the smaller indie game companies by hosting forums here for them. That section could have a sub-section for any particular games that would like to have their forums hosted here as well.

That sounds perfect, actually. Esp. with Small Press as an equally important part of the equation.

Harwel
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
More love for the Indies and little guys! The revolution will spare no WoTC!

Ahem... sorry about that little outburst. :D

templeorder
06-01-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm all for empowering the little guys. Never expected to get rich, just to have fun (that's some of the problem!).

Webhead
06-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Needless to say, you've got my vote!

trechriron
06-01-2009, 10:22 PM
I concur. A great idea!

nijineko
06-02-2009, 04:14 PM
i would also vote for this. =D

korhal23
06-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I would vote for this as well, and actually it could be a good place to exhibit games created by our members, if there are any. I personally am slowly working on a game in my free time, and I'd love a place to bounce ideas off folks.

Farcaster
06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
I agree. I will get this section added. :)

Tamburlain
06-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks, Farcaster. I'm sure I speak for more than one person here when I say just let me know if I can help.

Farcaster
06-03-2009, 12:42 AM
So shall it be written, so shall it be done (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155).

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Very cool.

cplmac
06-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Yes, very cool. Guess if I get the chance to finish my Krull game world, I could put it up on here for the members to be able to use also. As I look at it, I wouldn't really flesh out any of the NPCs, this way it could be used in what ever game and version that group is using.

Also, I know of a member on our local Pittsburgh Dungeons & Dragons Meetup site that writes game modules. I will be sure to point him in this direction. I do know that he does charge for his items, but from what I have seen, the prices are relatively low and doesn't seem like he is doing this as a way to get rich. More like enough to cover his costs and a small (very small) profit.