PDA

View Full Version : Which Discography

Moritz
05-31-2009, 10:44 AM
If you were trapped on a deserted island, all by yourself, had the means to listen to music, who's discography would you choose?

You can choose only one. And that's all you'd have the ability to listen to till your end days.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-31-2009, 11:27 AM
They have 'Best of' cds for each year, usually consisting of 10-12 songs per CD. Can i take that or does it have to be more composer specific?

Now, if we must be composer specific, then wow, I'd have to think about that one.

Tamburlain
05-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Hmm. Hard to say, but I guess I'd have to go with the discography of Bert Jansch, including all of his work with Pentangle.

PhishStyx
05-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Jethro Tull. I don't really want to stick with a single musical artist, but their collection is large enough to keep me busy for a while, & they're pretty much my favorite band.

My 2nd choice would be Eric Clapton if I couldn't have my Tull for similar reasons.

Tamburlain
05-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Jethro Tull would certainly last a long long time...

Baldwin Stonewood
05-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Tough choice but I would say Pearl Jam, "Ten"

Peter Gabriel "So"

REM, "Life's Rich Pageant"

Jethro Tull is also a great option.

PhishStyx
05-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Jethro Tull would certainly last a long long time...

I have IIRC 19 of their albums and the "20 Years of" box set and about the same amount of Clapton music if you count in all the different groups he joined over the years.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Tough choice but I would say Pearl Jam, "Ten"

Peter Gabriel "So"

REM, "Life's Rich Pageant"

Jethro Tull is also a great option.

That's 3 albums from 3 different artists; the thread is about 1 artist and their entire collection of music.

Harwel
05-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Pink Floyd, no contest.

Baldwin Stonewood
05-31-2009, 04:22 PM
I have IIRC 19 of their albums and the "20 Years of" box set and about the same amount of Clapton music if you count in all the different groups he joined over the years.

That's 3 albums from 3 different artists; the thread is about 1 artist and their entire collection of music.

Its a tough choice. I could go with any of those three three artists given their collections.

templeorder
05-31-2009, 04:29 PM
No thought, thats easy. The Cult.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Led Zeppelin, Journey, Van Halen, there are so many. It would really be tough to choose.

Moritz
05-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Just one artist or band.

Like, everything Eric Clapton or Roger Waters ever did. That would be a fair choice.

PhishStyx
05-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh ok, well then Ian Anderson because that gives me all his solo work (about 4 more albums) as well as all the Jethro Tull music.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Just one artist or band.

Like, everything Eric Clapton or Roger Waters ever did. That would be a fair choice.
I was just saying that those would be in the running. Man, this is a tough decision. Been thinking about it all day. Great thread, btw.

BrotherDog
06-01-2009, 02:30 AM
He didn't specify, so one may even choose a producer, sound mixer, song writer, cover art director and so on.

Moritz
06-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I was just saying that those would be in the running. Man, this is a tough decision. Been thinking about it all day. Great thread, btw.

I'm torn too. I've easily got a top 10 list. But narrowing it down to one person/band .... And to think, this will be the only music you will hear from here on out - until you no longer hear.

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 11:48 AM
pink floyd in a heartbeat
i think i would go to the sound of "The Great Gig In The Sky"
thats an awesome song
my step dad says Beethoven because he was one of the most prolific composers

Mindbomb
06-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Toss up between Frank Zappa or Mike Patton...I don't know if I could pick without resorting to eeny-meeny-miney-moe...lol

templeorder
06-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Toss up between Frank Zappa or Mike Patton...I don't know if I could pick without resorting to eeny-meeny-miney-moe...lol

Ok, maybe i need to know Patton's stuff more (i know who he is). Thats an incredible accolade... i love Zappa.

Freejack
06-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Weird Al (new youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R32aFmxL9HY)).

:D

Carl

Mead
06-17-2009, 08:10 AM
That's easy. Bjørn Lynne (http://lynnemusic.com/)

mrken
06-17-2009, 08:41 AM
This is perhaps the most difficult decision given me. My collection of music over the years has grown. Shoot, the styles of music has grown over the years. But considering that I would be on a desert island for the rest of my life without anyone else's music (the premise is really far fetched by the way, lol) I might take Fleetwood Mac. Especially the music with Stevie Nicks. She is a lot like Barbra Streisand without all the political baggage.

Arkhemedes
06-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Led Zeppelin, Journey, Van Halen, there are so many. It would really be tough to choose.
I'm with Thoth on this one, but I think I would have to throw in Rush as well.

Moritz
06-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Rush is definitely a winner.

Mindbomb
06-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Ok, maybe i need to know Patton's stuff more (i know who he is). Thats an incredible accolade... i love Zappa.

Yea both have a wide range of styles and experimentation. Thanks though I'm usually alone on this one...

BrotherDog
06-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Yea both have a wide range of styles and experimentation. Thanks though I'm usually alone on this one...

Please double check me on this, as I'm not sure I heard right. You should then choose Patrick O'Hearn, as he's played bass for both. Maybe, I heard. With the way many a mushmouth mumbles these days I may have been mistaken.

Mindbomb
06-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Please double check me on this, as I'm not sure I heard right. You should then choose Patrick O'Hearn, as he's played bass for both. Maybe, I heard. With the way many a mushmouth mumbles these days I may have been mistaken.

Well, he's not listed on Wikipedia as doing anything with Patton but with as much as he(and Patton) appears to have been involved in it still wouldn't surprise me.

RoryN
06-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Tough decision to have only one discography because there are so many different styles of music I enjoy at various times. I think I might go with Elton John though, as some of his earlier albums (Honky Chateau, Don't Shot Me..., Goodbye Yellow Brick Road) are very near and dear to my heart. Although, if I went with the Beatles, would that allow me all of their solo work as well? Hmm....

Panthro82
06-26-2009, 05:34 PM
I guess it would be all of the works of Tom Morello. Cause then I could have everything from both R.A.T.M & Audioslave.

Harwel
06-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Thinking back on Pink Floyd, they have an incredible variety of styles to listen to over the years. But then I realize I can pick either Roger Waters or David Gilmour and get the entire Floyd catalog, plus. And thinking about it, even though I think Pink Floyd was 100x better when Waters was writing the bulk of the material, I like Gilmour's solo work much better than Waters'.

I'm going to change my vote from "Pink Floyd" to "David Gilmour". I can easily forego The Piper at the Gates of Dawn for all Gilmour's solo and side work. Heck, I could give up Piper just for the one song There's No Way Out of Here from his first solo album.

Bazi
06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Newsboys. Best band ever. *nods*

Arkhemedes
06-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Thinking back on Pink Floyd, they have an incredible variety of styles to listen to over the years. But then I realize I can pick either Roger Waters or David Gilmour and get the entire Floyd catalog, plus. And thinking about it, even though I think Pink Floyd was 100x better when Waters was writing the bulk of the material, I like Gilmour's solo work much better than Waters'.

I'm going to change my vote from "Pink Floyd" to "David Gilmour". I can easily forego The Piper at the Gates of Dawn for all Gilmour's solo and side work. Heck, I could give up Piper just for the one song There's No Way Out of Here from his first solo album.
Yeah, it's because of Piper and albums like it that I didn't include Pink Floyd. They did some awesome stuff later on, but I can do without their songs about gnomes and bicycles.