PDA

View Full Version : "Surprisingly" Good Movies

Rook
05-30-2009, 05:10 PM
I'd like to hear examples of movies you saw for the first time expecting them to be bad that turned out to be surprisingly good.

Having three young children, when my wife and I are afforded the opportunity to go out to the movies we don't hesitate. On one of these rare occasions, all the movies that were showing were either ones we didn't want to see or were sold out. We settled on a movie that neither of us particularly wanted to see, THE RUNDOWN. It turned out to be a really fun movie that I enjoyed so much, I purchased it on DVD as soon as it came out. I watch it periodically and it's become one of my all-time (perhaps guilty-pleasure) favorites.

Sascha
05-30-2009, 06:23 PM
<3 The Rundown. Walken hamming it up makes almost any movie so very watchable ^_^

Ghost Rider. Yes, the story's ludicrous. Yes, the acting is not noteworthy. Yes, I enjoyed the heck out of it. Unlike other bad comic book movies, this one didn't even try to take itself seriously, which is why I think it works (doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see a real film done, though ;)).Something of a shocker, but ... Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. (I know, I know.) I didn't watch horror-related stuff back then, and, unlike my sisters, had no interest in seeing Luke Perry in a movie. Oh, am I so glad I changed my mind on this one.

Tamburlain
05-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Stardust.

Expected cheese, but instead thought it was genius.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-30-2009, 08:52 PM
I wasn't expecting much with Dog Soldiers, but oh was i wrong. An excellent movie.

GoddessGood
06-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Stardust.

Expected cheese, but instead thought it was genius.
This.

Also, Chronicles of Riddick. It made me a Vin Diesel fan, and the fact that he plays D&D cemented that.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Sunshine was another great one. Surprisingly good. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/

Webhead
06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Sunshine was another great one. Surprisingly good. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/

Agreed. I wasn't sure that I would like this film until made myself sit down and watch it. Very good. Not a flawless film but very good.

TheSmartestLemming
06-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Sunshine.... great great great movie.

I also agree, Chronicles of Riddick, while not as good as the movie it was based off of, it was still a fun movie, and I too am a Diesel fan.

Webhead
06-01-2009, 11:41 PM
I have to say, The Incredibles is one of the only movies I've ever seen that completely exceeded every (already fairly high) expectation I set for it. Something about that movie just impressed me on every level and it was about 10 times cooler than I was hoping it would be.

Alongside The Dark Knight, it is definately the best, most enthusiastic, and well-made "comic book" movie ever to grace the silver screen!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-01-2009, 11:47 PM
I found Fright Night I & II, & Love at First Bite, surprisingly entertaining. Anyone else agree?

Sascha
06-02-2009, 12:05 AM
I have to say, The Incredibles is one of the only movies I've ever seen that completely exceeded every (already fairly high) expectation I set for it. Something about that movie just impressed me on every level and it was about 10 times cooler than I was hoping it would be.

Alongside The Dark Knight, it is definately the best, most enthusiastic, and well-made "comic book" movie ever to grace the silver screen!
Yes! It does for comic books what Galaxy Quest did for Star Trek: skewering all the tropes, while playing them straight. (Then Wall-E had to go and steal its spot as the best Pixar film I'd seen; curse Ben Burtt and his ability to make robots emote~!)

Actually, while we're here: Galaxy Quest, itself. I go in expecting a clever and loving parody; instead I get the best Trek film, period.

(I actually have seen the new film, and that awesome-cake with win-frosting must digest before comparing the two. It'd be a master's thesis comparing Karl Urban's and Alan Rickman's snark levels alone ;))

Webhead
06-02-2009, 12:13 AM
...Actually, while we're here: Galaxy Quest, itself. I go in expecting a clever and loving parody; instead I get the best Trek film, period.

I totally and completely agree. This movie left me with much the same impression that The Incredibles did. I went in expecting a few good laughs and a terribly broken story, but I came out astonished that the movie ended up being one of the best sci-fi movies I've ever seen. Many hundreds of times better than I expected. I have since watched it about a thousand times. Fantastic!

"Go for the eyes or the throat...it's vulnerable spots!"

"It's a rock, it doesn't have any vulnerable spots!!!"

Sascha
06-02-2009, 12:21 AM
"Go for the eyes or the throat...it's vulnerable spots!"

"It's a rock, it doesn't have any vulnerable spots!!!"
"I know! You'll need to make a weapon. Look around; can you construct some sort of rudimentary lathe?"

Sam Rockwell's delivery is genius, I tells ya.

Kaewin
06-02-2009, 05:45 AM
I like going to see the Disney movies with my kids because often what I expect is not what I get. They are pretty good and the have some pretty good adult humor smuggled in.

Expecially The Emperor's New Groove.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Here's a surprisingly good movie by Wesley Snipes called Disappearing Acts. It's kind of a chick-flick and there is no martial arts, but it is exceptionally good. Oh, and btw, the girl in the movie is pleasing to the eyes.

MortonStromgal
06-03-2009, 01:35 PM
The second punisher movie. I love the punisher, thought the original Dolf Lungrum movie sucked and then I see Jon Travolta is going to be in the second one. I can't stand him either and yet I really enjoyed it.

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 09:22 PM
i think ratatouille was a great movie
just like the tales of despereaux