PDA

View Full Version : Public Libraries as Gaming Venues?

Tamburlain
05-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Does anyone live near a gaming-friendly public library in the DFW metroplex area? I've a friend who's made me envious of the city she lives in, which apparently has rooms which can be reserved for all sorts of study groups--and more interestingly, gaming groups. (In her case, they do mostly board games.) Food-wise you can bring anything that can be stuffed into a backpack; of course, trash has to leave via the same pack(s).

I live close to the Richardson Public Library, which I have not patronized in many years. Recently, I thought I would investigate the possibilities, maybe ask the staff what their policy is on private group meetings. Before I do, I thought it best to see if anyone here has already tried, and thus may have some information about which, if any, libraries in our area might be suitable for meeting.

ronpyatt
05-30-2009, 06:37 PM
I contacted a few libraries in the Dallas area a several years ago. I don't recall the specifics, but each had their own policies. I think their hours of operation prevented me from utilizing them at that time.

Let us know what find.

bento
05-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Some local libraries are game friendly, but as Ron said, the problem is their business hours are not so friendly. Richardson I believe is open M-Th until 9, but on the weekends they close at either 5 or 6. You might check their meeting rooms because I recall most of them are pretty small - like two or three people.

Out near me the Keller Public Library plays host to a weekly historical mini gamer group, but they temporarily moved to much smaller digs. They also hosted a boardgame group.

If your looking for something with better hours you might try Area51 in Grapevine, which stays open late some nights to accomodate gamers.

Tamburlain
05-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks to both of you. The limited hours wouldn't always be a deal-breaker for me. My preference is to play midday through the evening, but I'd be happy to have a place to meet people on weekend afternoons.

The smallish rooms, however, would be disaster.

Theophan
05-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Here's what I found when I researched using libraries as venues for a writer's group -- I presume the same rules would apply for gamers groups. Plano, Richardson and Dallas are all very different in their policies. Within Dallas libraries, I had the best luck, but even they differ from branch to branch.

(A) Timberglen Branch Library
Talked to Francisco Willis, who consulted with Kraig Willis (his boss I think). They have a conference room with a round table that fits 5 to 7 people around it comfortably (they have extra chairs so you could squeeze in a couple more in a pinch).

We could reserve it for $10 total for up to 7 people. They said we could call the day of or the day before we want the room and we could reserve it (assuming no other group had already booked it).

They let you bring in donuts and drinks so long as you clean up afterwards (if we wanted).

Here is there information and hours (note: there are some times like Friday night they are not open):

Timberglen Branch Library
18505 Midway Road Dallas TX 75287
214-671-1365 timberglen@dallaslibrary.org
http://dallaslibrary.org/timberglen.htm
Hours:
Sunday 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Tuesday 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Wednesday 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Thursday Closed
Friday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

(B) Fretz Park Branch Library
6990 Belt Line Road 75254 | 214-670-6421 | FretzPark@dallaslibrary.org
http://dallaslibrary.org/fretz.htm

Similar to above (spoke with Leslie). They are rigid about who can get a room though, and if you're not incorporated as a non-profit, then you have to pay $25 for the room. The upside is you can reserve rooms up to three months in advance. Seats 5-7 people. If you went this route you could pay dues for so player would each chip in $ for the room. The upside is you always know the room is available well in advance with no last minute disappointments. I think they only charge $10 if you're a non-profit (it costs about $125 to incorporate as a non-profit).

-- Theophan

Tamburlain
05-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks, Theophan. This is great information. I have some info. re. the Richardson library that I hope to type up tomorrow. The Dallas Fretz Park library is actually closer to me than RPL.

GoddessGood
06-01-2009, 09:34 AM
If you're looking for a neutral place to meet, I suggest XMax Cames in Dallas. It's not as close to you as RPL, but they have great facilities and are open to gamer friendly hours as well as located near good food. Andy also sells comestibles himself.

Baron_Samedi
06-01-2009, 10:18 AM
I know that Lewisville Public Library actually sponsors an in house Role Play Group that meets monthly i think...haven't dropped in on it though...

Tamburlain
06-01-2009, 12:59 PM
If you're looking for a neutral place to meet, I suggest XMax Cames in Dallas. It's not as close to you as RPL, but they have great facilities and are open to gamer friendly hours as well as located near good food. Andy also sells comestibles himself.

Thanks for the tip! I plan to give XMax a looksee one of these days, but it's a bit too far away for me to get there often. :(