PDA

View Full Version : Ask the DM

wizarddog
05-29-2009, 05:09 AM
This is the area where you can ask and post questions about the game.

Borodeva
05-30-2009, 10:18 PM
FIRST! :cool:

Woot! What do I win?

Kev

wizarddog
05-31-2009, 02:35 PM
If your quick, you get to create the first protaganist in this story. Make me proud.

TheSmartestLemming
06-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Hello, sorry I've been taking a bit to get my character posted, but I like to come up with a concept and build it all the way out 1-20, so I've got a character background and a 1-20 build to put together. Do you mind if when I'm done I toss it over to you, to make sure that everything is kosher?

wizarddog
06-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Post your PC in the Guild Roster.

All 20 levels is a bit extreme so I would try the first 6 levels.

TheSmartestLemming
06-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Oh, hahaha no, I wasn't planning on posting the whole character, just wanted to run stuff by you. I'm just going to post the first level for now unless you wanted more.

wizarddog
06-04-2009, 06:55 PM
You know what your doing.

Borodeva
06-05-2009, 02:14 AM
Given that we are allowed Unearthed Arcana, are we allowed flaws, and if so, how many?

wizarddog
06-05-2009, 02:31 AM
You may take up to 2 flaws at 1st level.

Be aware that I will use flaws in a roleplay sense beyond the mechanics if they fit. Flaws are suppose to be negative.

Borodeva
06-05-2009, 05:08 PM
So who else is playing in this game, and what will they be playing? So far I'm alone. :lol:

wizarddog
06-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Two Things:

1) I need the stats to be posted into the forum so they can be seen by all and I can easily refernce them. I don't have a copy of excel on my machine.

2) No magic items, including potions and scrolls, at 1st level. You can get any alchemical items you want. After 1st level you can buy what you want magically.

Lets follow the guildlines I posted, it will let us focus on the story/game and less on the judgement day.

TheSmartestLemming
06-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Hey sorry about that, it's been a hectic week and I haven't been able to put the stats on the computer. I'll be able to post them when I get home however.

Borodeva
06-06-2009, 02:21 PM
OOC: Is this a team-based mission with NPCs to help us? Since we know some of the other footpads, do we have an idea of what skills some of them have? Or are Jack and I expected to do this mission alone?

This will be interesting using Fiery Burst as a lockpick once again...

Hehe.

wizarddog
06-06-2009, 11:31 PM
This was added to the Game History:

Those other theives....

The idea behind the game is the group is a task force with persons of various skills and personalities. These "NPC" are actually the potential and future players for the game. They are controlled by me and function as needed. The crux of the story is around those actually playing. The thieves can perform various functions as needed for the story. The background thieves however cannot overshadow the PC's.

While the thieves are around, players can perform untrained skill checks with no rank modifiers. I use whatever the player giving the order says and that thief uses the players ability modifier to use the skill. These skills can also take 10 and 20. Such skills will include open locks and disable device. Thieves will never risk themselves overtly. If they are required to disable a device, then if they fail a PC will suffer the consequence. In case where that is not possible, the thief's failure may cause other harm (like alerting nearby guards).

When a PC appears that has ranks in such skills, that PC will be the one performing the task.

TheSmartestLemming
06-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks, that sounds like a pretty good idea.

Borodeva
06-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Agreed. Quite a good mechanic until we can get a couple more PCs.

Question for the DM - What's the best way for the players to talk amongst themselves in character to plan, etc.? Maybe create a thread for players to talk IC?

For example, Madoka would ask Jack, "Hey Shifty, how should we start?"

wizarddog
06-07-2009, 02:38 AM
Use the Game thread to ask questions amongst yourselves in character. That will be part of the narrative and your move. Anything else can be done via messages or ask DM if you require my input.

The game thread can also include internal thoughts of the PC and background.

EX: Milo recalls his time he spent in prison. He shudders to think of going back.
"I think we need to find a better plan" he pipes up.

Anathema
06-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Looks like I'm ready to go. Do you want to insert me into the game thread, or would you like me to post myself into the situation?

wizarddog
06-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Since you are already with the group you can go ahead and post.

I should point out that the flaws you have chosen are not in UA and I don't support dragon articles (because I cannot simply reference them) I will also need to see the reference to the items you bought. If they are not in any book then I can't allow them. Dragon article are notoriously overpowered and to be fair to the others, who kept all their items and powers within the book guidelines, I don't allow them.

Otherwise it looks okay.

Anathema
06-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Ah, I can change my flaws if you want. I grabbed them from a complete list of flaws here (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/featsform.pl) simply because they provide some pretty unique and in no ways less severe detriments which seem to mesh well with my character. Let me know what you think after reading the descriptions.

Everything else is within the guidelines, and primarily core.

Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) is from Unearthed Arcana, the Charm and Planning Domains (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/domains.html) can both be found in the Spell Compendium, and the only non-core spells are Slash Tongue (from Book of Vile Darkness) and Cold Fire (from Spell Compendium).

If you'd like me to include descriptions of the non-SRD spells in the notes field at the bottom of the character sheet, I'd be happy to do that. I also have access to every book in digital format (pdf), so I'd be happy to send any of them over that you would like or need. :)

Thanks,

A

wizarddog
06-09-2009, 04:59 PM
You may take any flaw in UA.

The domains are fine and the spells are fine. Technically I don't use spell companion but that is minor since I have access.

I do need to know about softboots and thieves helm and where they are located if they are in the books. If they are dragon related, I can't allow them to be fair.

And don't forget to factor in your armor check penalty.

Otherwise you should be good to post.

Anathema
06-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Oh, crap, I knew I forgot something...

The items are simply Masterwork Tools (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolMasterwork) fashioned off of items that were originally created in the Arms & Equipment Guide (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20030322a).

I'll happily switch my flaws to ones from the UA list, though you may want to consider using the full list for future games, since you now have a link for it (:)) and they provide a much better range of flaws to help fit the character's personality, IMHO.

EDIT: I just realized the link I provided to the flaws gives a list of all the flaws AND feats from like every book. Try this (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/datafind/feats.shtml) link instead and just select FLAWS on the left hand column to keep it just to the Flaws.

CaptainShar
06-10-2009, 03:14 AM
Making a character. I haven't forgotten, just have a ton of stuff going on this week. :)

Cardboard Tube Knight
06-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I have never used the flaw system, so I didn't even think to ask.

wizarddog
06-12-2009, 01:57 AM
You may use any flaw in UA. Be aware I will use flaws to their fullest in disadvantages.

CaptainShar
06-16-2009, 04:51 AM
Character's up, finally!

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=133230

wizarddog
06-16-2009, 04:52 PM
For consistency of the story, we assume that Calloway asked you to join the ranks of the task force unbeknown to the other thieves. You will have to roleplay with that information.

CaptainShar
06-20-2009, 02:48 PM
That's fine. I like being the mysterious one in this game, as opposed to being the flamboyant one who's always charging into the middle of everything.

Oh, and I'm planning to be a "face man," as far as my thiefy skills go. And I'll soon enough have psionic powers that let me be sneakier.

CaptainShar
06-22-2009, 03:48 AM
Would you allow the Psion Uncarnate Prestige Class in this game (from Expanded Psionic Handbook)? If we're going to need to be sneaky all the way through all the levels, I can't think of anything better than becoming incorporeal. :D

wizarddog
06-23-2009, 02:12 PM
You can play whatever you want. It might be a while before a PrC comes into play.

The stealth justification is that balanced combat encounters are rare in this game. You may face encounters well beyond your EL should you go toe to toe with them. Combat is not how you are awarded XP but from completing objectives. (see objectives experience) You need to rely on your wits and abilities. It is also a team effort, so all PC's gain the XP when they work together.

Currently, your objective is to steal the Periapt without being seen.

You can do this many ways. You could kill every single NPC you encounter or accomplish this with out every drawing a weapon. A smash and grab approach(suggested earlier) was a valid method if not without consequences and would have earned a partial, as part of the objective is to not be seen. Not to be seen is vague --it could mean no witnesses or no one recognizing you or your comrades. But one NPC may recognize you (or deduct your presence at the seen) better than others.

The XP is the same. You may gain partial or bonus XP if you managed to do other things differently or discover things beyond the objective.

HaeshkaManju
09-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Are you taking new players?

CaptainShar
09-17-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't see why not, but of course, that's ultimately up to Wizarddog.

wizarddog
09-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Yes, I take new players.

Create your character following the rule and guides in the other forum topics. I'm pretty open on what you can play, but try not to piss me off with munchkin build or asking for things not already stated in the PC creation.

PC created will be 3rd level to match the other PC's. I will decide if you have any magic items.

Once your PC is posted in the Guild roster, I will work your character in. It is up to you whether your PC is related to the current chapter or will be part of the next chapter. In any case, you will end up being part of the Guild Task Force, so playing pally is probably not in your best interest.

HaeshkaManju
09-18-2010, 12:31 AM
hmm - are you looking for players to fulfill party roles? or interesting character concepts?

I was thinking of a very distorted cleric who takes the exalted series of feats (poverty and peace), yet is NOT good-aligned. A character who is part of the guild because his upbringing was so sour, the guild actually took in the child and raised him to see the world through a very distorted lense. He supports the other guild members in their endeavors, making an excuse for the petty skulldrudgery as "better than the alternative". That "alternative" world being one that has been brain-washed into him since early child hood.

CaptainShar
09-18-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm fulfilling the healing role by default right now, but I'm sure everyone would welcome a real cleric. I'll go back to being the summoning/utility caster.

wizarddog
09-18-2010, 03:26 PM
You might want to read the way I interpret alignment in the game. If you take exalted or vile feats, you basically have a black and white view on the world just like an outsider would, because you are basically an agent of a god.

While the mortal world can tolerate opposing alignments working together, outsiders cannot, and actively impose their beliefs on others.

Exalted feats also require that you are good, so you cannot be neutral.

The concept is solid, but you will have a difficult time using the mechanics you are utilizing to make it work.

If you want feats that are divine in nature, aspect(s) that makes your player closer to his or her god(s), consider the feats and options in Complete Champion and Complete Divine, eps reserve and Domain feats. That will give you flexibility you want.

You don't necessarily have to be part of the thieves guild in your background at the start but your PC will have to some vested interest in keeping it together.