PDA

View Full Version : Non official gaming material...

Baron_Samedi
05-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Would you ever consider playing a game that was a converted edition, that wasn't put out by WotC?

For example...Dark Sun was produced as a 2e game, with a later revised edition, however there was a conversion to 3e produced by athas.org...that converts the setting to a new edition...The same can be said for Ravenloft being in 2e and 3.x...but there are materials out there so that you can play in 4e...

What is your opinion?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Done it and done it, although we usually do our own converting. It's all about fun, and if the module shows potential, then off to the converting board it goes.

Mindbomb
05-28-2009, 07:10 PM
I've been putting a campaign together using http://www.planewalker.com/index.php 3.5e Planescape conversion. Can't wait...

Baron_Samedi
05-28-2009, 07:50 PM
That's great material, thanks for the info. For years, i figured it would take some doctoral work to get Planescape converted...

cpljarhead
05-28-2009, 08:50 PM
i use whatever i need for my campaigns because its all about the fun and playing. i use the ideas and convert them into my own "thing" as it were. hey D&D is pretty much a shareware system from what i understand thereby its all good.

korhal23
05-28-2009, 09:57 PM
i use whatever i need for my campaigns because its all about the fun and playing. i use the ideas and convert them into my own "thing" as it were. hey D&D is pretty much a shareware system from what i understand thereby its all good.

Actually, all games are a shareware system of sorts. According to copyright law, the RULES of any game can never be copyrighted. That's why there's a zillion and one Monopoly knockoffs based on your favorite... well on your favorite damn near anything. That's also why there's more than two board games.... if not, well one person would have the copyright to "Move clockwise around the board" and another would have "Move counter-clockwise around the board" and that'd be that. It's also how there can be so many D&D clones or reimaginings, and how there can be such things as WoD and Shadowrun (Sure, the worlds are different. But sit down some time and compare the game mechanics. One uses d6s, the other uses d10s.... and that's about it.)

The open game license in D&D was redundant and unnecessary.

And to answer the question, yes I love writing my own games and conversions, and I've really enjoyed some unofficial releases too. If anyone saw the unofficial PHB2 for 4e... hell, I thought they did druids and bards better than WotC did.

Xandros
05-29-2009, 04:34 AM
D&D tried to make it seem like their rulesystem is copyrighted, but it was indeed proven that you can not copyright game rules. The title (Dungeons and Dragons) can be copyrighted. The actual copy can be copyrighted also. Meaning I couldn't simply copy the books and print them off and sell them.

tesral
05-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Would you ever consider playing a game that was a converted edition, that wasn't put out by WotC?

For example...Dark Sun was produced as a 2e game, with a later revised edition, however there was a conversion to 3e produced by athas.org...that converts the setting to a new edition...The same can be said for Ravenloft being in 2e and 3.x...but there are materials out there so that you can play in 4e...

What is your opinion?

Dude, I've never played an Official Anything.

I scorn official. I consider it for people with either no time or no creativity in their souls or both. The game is about creating and having fun, <Hyperbole>not following the official line with your wallet extended in your unfeeling hands marching into the Maw of Mammon to your financial doom. </Hyperbole>

Official? Bah! Humbug!

Get out and create a few things not predigested for you.

Rook
06-01-2009, 08:59 AM
I never thought of it that way (especially the "move clockwise"/"move counter-clockwise" idea). Great perspective.

[meant to quote Korhal23]

Grimwell
06-01-2009, 09:29 AM
As long as I like the conversion, yes. If there is nothing in it that suits my sense of fun I won't use it out of love for the setting -- I'll start converting it my way. ;D

Crom on his Mountain
04-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Almost exclusively. Thanks for the d20 system WotC, but practically everything else you've done has been crap. 3rd party, converted older editions, or homebrew only.

TheYeti1775
04-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Yes it's the only way to play 3.5 Spelljammer or 3.5 Darksun.

Lord Soth
05-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Feh, just play out of the original boxed sets and call it a day. More time for gaming, when you aren't up agonizing over conversion tables and charts.