PDA

View Full Version : Excommunicate Traitorus...

Baron_Samedi
05-28-2009, 06:42 PM
This goes out to everyone...

Has anyone had to kick off, vote out, or otherwise get rid of a player or GM?

We had a group running for the better part of a year, but after discussing with other players, we had a group member that had been 'plotting' to take the GM spot away from me and was trying to rally support to replace me, because he thought he could do a better job. He didn't even consider coming to me to try things out, he was just trying to take over. Later on i found out he was trying to make moves on a few other players, who were in relationships trying to break them up....so after all of this info came to a head, we all voted to kick him out...afterwards, everything was smooth sailing, err, smooth rollin'...

feel free to share your stories if you have them...

wizarddog
05-29-2009, 03:21 AM
Sounds sort of devious. It's not like he couldn't start his own game and invite the members.
A power gamer in the real sense....

For me, I just don't invite people back. When they stop getting emails/phone calls on the game, that is usually the hint. And if they don't get it from me, I have players you revel in breaking in the news. ;)

Dytrrnikl
05-29-2009, 05:08 AM
Back in the days of 2E, around the summer of '95, I was running a campaign in which my Brother was one of the player's. In real life he has a fairly caustic and abrasive personality. When asked if he's 'cool' I always tell people to make up there own mind...the genreal concensus has been that you either like him or you don't. Anyway, he had a really nasty habit of taking things in the game too personally and causing a lot of in party fighting and generally disruptive game play. Well, I wanted to just play for awhile, and let one of the other gamers take over for a time. He took the group into Ravenloft - not a setting I appreciate due to not suiting the style of game I enjoy. Well, Joe was in rare form one night and the DM gave Joe a warning about his disruptive character play. The next it happened his favorite character was lynched by some NPCs. He flipped out and left that night. He never got invited back to the group after that. I ended up starting another group just so he could keep gaming.

So fast forward to today. The Star Wars saga campaign I've been running came to a grinding halt last year. Initially, I thought it was because of how I was running the game. It wasn't, it was the constant bickering I was doing with Joe. Also, in several e-mails, I had player after player basically make it clear as day that they would not continue to game if Joe didn't radically change his gaming attitude. I didn't kick Joe out, but I did talk to him away from the game and even showed him the e-mails. He was hurt. He's been on probation ever since, knowing that if I the group grinds to halt like that again for the same or similar reasons...him, he's out.

Only one other person I can think of has ever been kicked out and forever banned from returning to the group. He took his character dying so personally he picked up and threw the gaming table over and tore up his book. I haven't seen him in years.

Moritz
05-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Over the years we've had a few players come and go. One comes to mind that was the typical power-rules lawyer-me-me-me gamer. We just stopped inviting him back.

Another one sort of uninvited himself to return. This guy played a Paladin (see other threads). The party encountered a zombie shambling down the road. The zombie had a note pinned to it. The Paladin, for what ever reason, wanted to leave the zombie alive. Two other players questioned this and it turned into a yelling match. I sat back, remained quiet, and let it play out.

The paladin player tried to stand because he was fed up and wanted to leave. When he stood, the plastic chair had somehow stuck to his hips, this tripped him up, and he fell over backwards breaking the chair. I tried not to laugh, looked away, held it in.
The next 5 minutes of him packing up his stuff was in silence. He never came back.

GoddessGood
05-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Over the years we've had a few players come and go. One comes to mind that was the typical power-rules lawyer-me-me-me gamer. We just stopped inviting him back.
Had one of those, too. Lasted a session and wasn't invited back.

Two other group members were kicked out of a group I was in for non-game related reasons. One we decided was too much of a scumbag to associate with. The second fella had a few incidences of violence, and he was told he would not be welcome back. These were both people that some of the group had known for years, and we almost lost a player or two over them not being allowed back in.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Had a player that wouldn't play unless his friend could play. This friend would always be 2 hours late, altered the date in which he played on a weekly basis, and within 2 hours of gameplay, his wife would call repeatedly for him to come home. And to add insult, he would complain that the game wasn't going fast enough, the DM sucked, and he wasnt getting enough magic and money, oh, and, he should be the one DM'ing(that's a laugh). This guy was in his 30's. I finally had enough and kicked him out, and his friend too. They showed us, they started their own campaign, which fizzled quickly when the slacker couldnt make it to his buddys game on time either, and he lived only 5 minutes away. Eventually, the other guy begged to come back and admitted his friend was beyond hope for gaming.

Valdar
05-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Many times. Sometimes it's one player getting booted, sometimes it's me as DM booting the whole group and re-forming a new one with some of the (redeemable) players (which is my solution to the problem of canning only one or two out of a tightly knit group of friends.)

Usual reasons:

--Interrupting RP with non-RP. Worst offense in the book. This includes songs/puns, MMORPG references, whining about your character's motivation or suspension of disbelief, or asking rules questions that aren't related to the current scene.

--Blatant metagaming. Not just "he wouldn't put a trap here" kind of thing, but actual "I failed a perception check, time for super-paranoia" kind of thing.

--Outright cheating. Fudging die rolls, ignoring rules, whining in response to DM rulings, showing up with a character that you "rolled" near-max hit points for, etc. Yes, you can hit the "roll HPs" button again. No, that doesn't mean click it 30 times and pretend that you clicked it once (and yes, I once did the math in my head to figure out how many times one player had to roll his HPs to get a particular result...)

Usually, it's never one thing, but a combination of several.

Rook
05-29-2009, 01:07 PM
I've been fortunate enough to have never needed to kick a player out of the game. I think if you're selective about who you allow to play and you discuss the nature of the game ahead of time, issues typically won't arise. As a player, I always do my best to adapt my play and affect to best suit the game. If I'm having fun doing so, I'll come back; if not, I won't.

MrFrost
05-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah sort of, we have had some people that we asked not to come back for "gameplay" reasons amoung a few others...

My gang is made up of a number of very old friends, for the most part they are all great guys never had too much of a problem ever with them (besides the norm, being late and stupid stuff like that) but we do have a player whom gets into these moods and can cause alot of problems. We had stopped a game last week because of rude remarks, fighting with the GM (me) and disrupting gameplay non-stop. I had seeked out another player to replace him. He doesnt know this yet but he will be playing with his own replacement today.. Well thats depending on how the next few sessions go, we dont want him to go but it has to stop.

Malruhn
05-30-2009, 06:17 PM
It's happened several times.

Once was a HUGE metagamer that also was a blatant die-roll-fudger, who wasn't good enough to figure out how to do it properly. When in battle, he'd roll the d20 to see if he hit, grab it WHILE IT WAS STILL ROLLING and announce, "27!!" (or whatever he needed to hit) When he was called on it, he would scream, "It did TOO stop!" When asked what the roll was, he would have to do the subtraction... "27 minus a +2 sword, minus a 17 STR, minus..." so it was obvious to everyone other than him that he had made up the number. We forced his hand - and made a house rule that said you rolled all dice into a box-top in the middle of the table for all to see. He quit after trying to cheat at THAT!!

Another was in AD&D (pre-2E), with a guy that would ALWAYS play a Half-Elf Fighter/Thief/Magic User of less than questionable morals that would ALWAYS cause intra-party strife... stealing (not just skimming treasure, but picking other PC's pockets!!), and even ganking people in their sleep. We were rude about it - told him if he did it again that we'd kick him out of the group - it happened again, and we bodily removed him from the dorm-room... and threw his books, dice and paper into the dorm hallway on top of him.

bmcclure629
05-31-2009, 01:17 AM
We had a bug group playing, about 10 of us. Well a couple of us weren't liking the way that someone played their character. A cleric, healer, who was more into helping a specific couple of ppl, her husband and friends, instead of everyone. We brought this up to our DM who said do something about it. We eventually told her she needed to change or somethin would happen, but it didn't. So again after talking it over to our DM he said challenge her then. If it turned into a fight, whoever died would be done. Needless to say it came down to fighting and before anyones characters died they left on their own.