PDA

View Full Version : Monster Manual 2

Valdar
05-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Anyone picked this up yet?

It's interesting to see the new spin on familiar monsters- some of which I expected, some of which were a surprise. I've already created a lot of these as custom monsters- it's also interesting to see how close I got to them.

--Gray Ooze no longer being psionic kind of threw me. I know it was silly, but it was old-school silly!

--Metallic dragons are no longer Good- This one really threw me. I guess I'll have to watch the podcast to figure this one out. Color me houseruled on this one. Also, Iron and Adamantine instead of Bronze and Brass? Weaksauce.

--Excellent treatment of Demogorgon and his two-headedness, but making his monkey heads be baboon heads was a little strange.

--Eleven new Human foes, including Pirate! Win.

--Love the description of Abolethic Skum: "Sometimes an aboleth's enslavement of a humanoid foe goes wrong and the foe becomes a barely sentient pile of aqueous sludge..."

--Having the Rust Monster disenchant the items it destroys seems a little kinder to the PCs, but still has that hint of old-school nasty to it.

--Good way to play up the Sphinx's riddle without having the game grind to a halt. Though the old-school way of doing things can of course be house-ruled back in fairly easily.

--Steel Predator looks pretty much like I homebrewed it, down to the level (I was using them as guards for a Mercane who had to be at least 18th level to cast Plane Shift, so they look perfect.)

--Will-o-wisp looks completely different from what I homebrewed. No electrical attack (psychic instead), and no dissolution into residuum after killed.

korhal23
05-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I definitely like what I've seen of it though I haven't gotten much chance to really look at it. I'm not so fond of a few of the creatures (Kenku...) but I like most of what I've seen as I glanced through. I kind of agree with you though about Dragons... If they wanted these morally ambiguous Dragons I think they should've made a new set instead of changing the metallic ones. Maybe we'll see some kind of good Dragon arise in MM3.

Baron_Samedi
05-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Having looked through it, i didn't see much in the way of new monsters, that made me stop and go, 'wow'. it seems that a majority of the creatures are just re-vamps and re-imaginings of creatures from MMI. I mean how many pages did they commit to re-vamps of the player races? 15? and how many types of beholders do you need? I will say though that it was nice to see the chromatic dragons before the new draconomicon comes out. I guess if you really just have to have it, get it. Otherwise, i'd just borrow it from the person who just HAD to have it.

Kalanth
05-31-2009, 09:24 PM
The only thing I don't like out of it was the particular demon lord they chose for it. Not a fan of the two headed baboon... Otherwise I am quite pleased. Used a Rust Monster in the game today and have plans to slip an Iron Golemn in there in the near future as well. Good book, definetly worth the money.

Malruhn
05-31-2009, 11:55 PM
The original artwork in the original Monster Manual had a very nice rendition of Demogorgon with two baboon heads. Very nicely done!

Valdar
06-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Demogorgon also appears in the latest cartoon. The final line is hard to make out, but it sounds to me like the Gnome is saying to DG, "You've got monkey heads!"

Lampshading at its best.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/toon/20090522

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 11:37 AM
i've had a thought for radioactive monsters including tree's which lash out at the least expected moments and non Newtonian sentient fluids than while are like gelatinous cubes are far more intelligent going so far as to be able to sprout arms and legs and mimic human appearance in every way except coloring

Grimwell
06-06-2009, 12:57 PM
i've had a thought for radioactive monsters including tree's which lash out at the least expected moments and non Newtonian sentient fluids than while are like gelatinous cubes are far more intelligent going so far as to be able to sprout arms and legs and mimic human appearance in every way except coloring

You may want to take a look at Too Many Curses (http://www.amazon.com/Too-Many-Curses-Lee-Martinez/dp/0765318350) by A. Lee Martinez. He has a creature like that used well in the book. It could be something to reference for describing the transitions, etc.