PDA

View Full Version : Jumping

kirksmithicus
05-27-2009, 03:54 PM
So at the second D&D game day event that I attended this last weekend I got into a dispute with the DM about how jumping works in 4e. A minor and idiotic point to be sure, but still. He says that a jump counts as a move action, and that when the character's jump is complete, that is the end of his move action, even if he still has movement left. I don't read it this way in the book. While the book never specifically says that you can continue to move after your jump, it does seem to imply it. According to this fellow, your PC can jump or make a running jump as a move action, in the latter case you would move two squares then jump 2 or 3 squares. He specifically stated that you could not move more than 2 squares then jump in your move/jump action. My other question was then, how could anyone possibly exceed their total movement in a running jump (since you add one to your move for running, increasing most characters base move to 7) and fall as a result if that is true?

I've read the section on Jumping a dozen times, am I right? or am I misreading something?

korhal23
05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Long Jump: Part of a move action.
Distance Jumped Horizontally: Make an Athletics check and divide your check result by 10 (donít round the result). This is the number of squares you can leap across. You land in the square determined by your result. If you end up over a pit or a chasm, you fall and lose the rest of your move action.
Distance Cleared Vertically: The vertical distance you clear is equal to one-quarter of the distance you jumped horizontally. If you could not clear the vertical distance of an obstacle along the way, you hit the obstacle, fall prone, and lose the rest of your move action. (Emphasis added by me)
Running Start: If you move at least 2 squares before making the jump, divide your check result by 5, not 10.
Uses Movement: Count the number of squares you jump as part of your move. If you run out of movement, you fall. You can end your first move in midair if you double move.

Jumping, therefore is part of a move action, and not the move action itself. If you have movement left after the jump, you can continue on your merry way, provided you did not fail in some manner (whether that be to clear the gap, or some obstacle in the way.) and therefore fall prone. Even a straight leap into the air is not a full movement, though the only real difference between a high jump and a long jump is the math involved for how high you went.

Valdar
05-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Sounds like he's confusing jumping with charging. Charging does end your move action explicitly. If jumping was to do so as well, they'd say.

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 12:37 PM
point out that the section on rushing and jumping can be easily confused movment doesn't end it just becomes postponed