PDA

View Full Version : Display Age?

gregm
05-27-2009, 12:48 PM
I am new here so it might be early to start making suggestions but this one seems simple to me.

Why not require users to display their age in their profile? Not talking about any kind of personal information like birth date, just how old you are in years, or months, or days, or hours, or minutes, or seconds. Seems like this would really help people hunting through the player registry.

Is how old you are that big of a secret?

Greg

P.S. not meaning to offend anyone here, just something that doesn't make any sense to me.

templeorder
05-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Age is weird - it goes both ways. I know a lot of younger players that won't play with older gamers... they take advice, and i get constant emails from a couple, but i'm not part of their group. I also know a lot of older gamers who wont game with younger ones. Its about perspective (maturity no so much - we're all making believe here so, yeah)... and shared tastes. I would find it useful in looking for players but it may screen out a player that would have been great to play with or chat with just because of some foolish notion on age that i (or others) may have. I think it should probably be something you could post for searches, but i am afraid that it may do more harm than good.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-27-2009, 01:26 PM
I believe there is a thread that polls ages of P&PG gamers. I would think that age matters not to 99% of gamers, only becoming important to an adult gamer if another gamer is a minor. This being about the only reason i wouldn't game with someone. I keep my players at the adult age level(chronologically and emotionally), w/o exceptions. Of course, if one is a fun gamer, i would game with anyone from the ages of 18-100+.

As far as your suggestion goes, i'm sure it would be accepted by all for i know no one on these boards that keeps their age secret. For example, i'm chronologically 42, emotionally 24(this will never change), and feeling like 84+. Though, by some, i am known as the Lich. Another on these boards is referred to as the Phoenix. It's all in good fun.

This is just one more reason why i love gamers: we are very accepting. If gamers ruled the world, there wouldnt be racism, sexism, or any ism for that matter, no war, no hate, well, you see my point.

gregm
05-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Interesting feedback, thanks!

I suppose the way I look at age is as helpful information more than a criteria for eliminating certain people. It would matter more to me that a person is reliable and fun to game with than they are in a particular age group.

Greg

cpljarhead
05-27-2009, 04:50 PM
i'm all for keeping the age group roughly in the same ballpark but i'm not opposed to exceptions after meeting them in order to get to know them a little before play. besides a little diversity can open up a lot of new ideas on how to do things in the game. never know til you meet them, can't go on blind faith that they are going to mesh into your group style.

GoddessGood
05-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Speaking as someone who tends not to look at age as a qualification, I don't think it should be mandatory. However, go ahead and add it, as it is helpful to some who are looking for someone that will fit in with their group.

Panthro82
05-30-2009, 04:24 PM
I think it would be interesting to see peoples ages, but I think if anything it detracts from gaming. A gamer could be any age and add something relevant to the game. The average 18 year old is a hack and slasher, but that doesn't mean all 18 year old's prefer that style of play. The average 40+ gamer is heavy on role playing, but that doesn't mean they all are that way. Stereotyping on the ends of both spectrum's (young and old) could shoot your game in the foot. You might be missing out on something that could make your campaign or game that much better than it already is...

PhishStyx
05-31-2009, 01:58 PM
While I don't view age as a deal-breaker, I have seen age make a significant difference in how a player is viewed by the group and in how the group acts toward a new player.

But immaturity can happen at any age and usually does.

CEBedford
07-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Sorry to ressurect this thread but I'm in favor of some sort of age indicator. Even if you kept it hidden but put in a search filter for age.

I prefer to game with those old enough to handle a few harsh words here and there, and/or enjoy a beer or two. It'd be nice to pick and minimum and maximum age while searching.

I have nothing against younger players but I sometimes swear like a sailor and enjoy a good buzz when playing a light hearted game.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Resurrecting threads is great, otherwise you can just start another. I see your point with the age dilemma and unless gamers elect to share their ages, all one can really do is put down expectations of gamers on your campaign page. That's what i do.

Keeping one's age hidden (when chosen by the gamer) in a search indicator but still used in a filtered search is a great idea. It definitely would solve the problem. I second your motion, CEBedford.

Oldgamer
07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
We need to know how old the Wicked Lich of the West is truly!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
We need to know how old the Wicked Lich of the West is truly!
42 plus a at least 3 zero's added to that number. It becomes a blur after the first 10,000 years.

Panthro82
07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Thoth is so old he farts dust :)

Azar
07-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Im really glad they dont because if they made you put down you age I probably wouldnt have joined in a group that i'm glad I joined,but I do see what you mean.

CEBedford
07-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Im really glad they dont because if they made you put down you age I probably wouldnt have joined in a group that i'm glad I joined,but I do see what you mean.

That's why I figure an age range filter might be better. You pick a set range or ranges you're comfortable with. Gamers can still inquire about your game and even if they're young, if they seem right for your group you can make the judgement.

16 and under
17-20
21-25
26-30
...and so on.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-28-2009, 08:39 PM
42 plus a at least 3 zero's added to that number.
It becomes a blur after the first 10,000 years.

Uhm, Panthro82:
Ah, no! I don't take in food, water, or air... so no. Unlike our chicken friend and his hairball scat.

Even the smell of decay has left me, my body being held together by my sheer will and powerful magick.