PDA

View Full Version : Ravenloft 4e Part I...Classes...

Baron_Samedi
05-27-2009, 04:37 AM
Although it isn't my prefered edition for running Ravenloft, i know that there are those out there would would venture a try...given that, here's what i think works for the Demiplane of Dread. In this thread i'll be covering classes from PHB and PHB II...

Avenger: although divine magic of any sort is very tricky, it could be possible to create an avenger with some of the wider ranging churches...Hala, The Lawgiver, Ezra, The Morninglord...and you might also come up with a system that allows the avenger to act as a scion to the Darklord...not all of course but Azalin, Death, Easan, Vecna and Hazlik would be good examples...avengers could be granted powers like boons from the darklords...

Bard: The most versitile of the classes and a cornerstone for the group...a fighter, leader, diplomat, and a spellcaster rolled into one. Not to mention, their spells are least effected by the variances in magic rating across the Demiplane.

Barbarian: Not common, but in some domains with lower cultural levels, its definitely possible.

Cleric: Not a bad choice, but given the fact that some divine magic doesn't work in some domains because the Darklord said so, lends this class to remain in one place for a long time. If you sticking around a while, great, but not a good choice for road warriors.

Druid: Not as common as some, but more common than most, these stewards of nature find a great place in the Mists given the sparse population density of the setting and great variety of environments...

Fighter: Figure this to be the most common outside of Rogue...soldiers, guards, even thugs...

Invokers: Meh...not very likely...you could adapt the avenger mechanic i mentioned above, but that's about as far as you'll get with it. Maybe followers of the Wolf God of Verbrek or the God that inhabits G'henna, Zhakhata...

Paladins: Again like clerics, not a solid choice for road travel due to divine magic.

Ranger: Like the bard, a great choice for the group and adaptable to nearly every domain.

Rogue: Although i think this class has lost some luster with the new edition, rogues do work out. However i think a group would be better served by either a bard or figher.

Shaman: Not common at all...mostly in domains with low cultural levels. Vorostokov, Markovia, the goblins of Forlorn...followers of the Wolf God.
Sorceror: Although arcane magic is tricky, i think that a sorceror would do well in casting magic given the chaotic nature of their spells as opposed to genuine arcane casters.

Swordmage: Although i wouldn't have them as an initial class for most of the Core, i would say that they would work well in Rokushima Tayoo...arcane samurai are awesome. Otherwise i would leave them as a prestige class, perhaps as an alternative to the paladin class.

Warden: Depending on the Domain, i don't see why not...although some parts of nature in the Demiplane are just as hostile to itself, let alone any would-be protectors. i mean there are blood drinking undead treants for cryin' out loud!

Warlock: Given the nature of the Mists, all of the pacts are effectively knocked out...however if one were to venture to www.fraternityofshadows.com (http://www.fraternityofshadows.com) and look under the vault heading, there are patches for running Ravenloft 4e, and there in lies a Mist Pact for Warlocks that does the job just fine.

Warlord: Like the figher, versatile, could be used as a knight, or military officer proxy.

Wizard: Would do well, but given the nature of arcane magics, be prepared to cast at lower levels according to the Darklord's whims. Some magic is diminished, other types negated completely.

These are just my opinions from running the game for ten years or so...anything as always is DM discretionary...