PDA

View Full Version : New 4th Ed CAMPAIGN!

Paintknight
05-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Hey all, I'm looking for a 4th edition campaign and have been having the most ridiculous time trying to find one. I'm looking for someone who has good ideas and can GM and then a few more players. I'm open to just about anything as long as it's fantasy and it's entertaining. I've had a great deal of experience with 4th ed, in fact, I GM'd each time I played and now I'm anxious to play. I'm lookin for a game once a week, on a weeknight (most likely tues, wed or thurs but can do mon or fri if need be).

Shoot me an e mail at paintknight@yahoo.com

~Andrew

ajpfox
06-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Bumping - I'm looking for exactly the same thing you are.
I have experience from ADnD up to 3.5, but 4e has me really excited and I'm going through withdrawl while I'm out of the country for school.

Here's hoping theres a GM out there looking for some experienced players!

acnoll
06-06-2009, 07:36 PM
ill play

haasenritter123
06-06-2009, 08:00 PM
I am interested in playing too. I have a group I run out here in Japan (I'm active US Navy) and was hoping to play but I guess someone should get the ball rolling. I'd like to participate but because of where I am I guess we need to figure out logistics. Ok, obvious stuff. Time difference. I am a day ahead of people in the states. I'm actually 16 hours ahead of PST, 17 hours ahead of MST, etc. I could run a game here on Saturday at 10:00 am which would be 6:00pm Friday evening in say California. I can do this or anything else weekend related.

I have experience running 4e D&D. I stick primarily to the rules but am flexible enough to allow creative alterations (such as using thunder damage in place of fire because you envision a thunder motif. It changes only the type which to me can be flavor text. As long as it doesn't change the basic mechanic of the power things like that) and using anything officially from the WOTC sight including pre-release stuff. 22 pt attribute by in starting anywhere from level 1-3 would be fine. I have options for world. Let me know if this is acceptable, like I said i'm flexible.

Spence

Anodyzed
06-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Haasenritter123, are you proposing a realtime game or a Play-by-Post game?

haasenritter123
06-07-2009, 02:01 AM
I was thinking real time with skype. I haven't tried using any of the virtual playing areas but I have looked at them and it seems like we could actually have a grid to play on? Maptools right? I am really new to this but gaming I have done for a long time so the logistics are all we need to hammer out.

ajpfox
06-07-2009, 08:51 AM
I've never used maptools before, but OpenRPG I've heard good things about...plus I already have it running on my POS linux box. Skype works for me as well. Don't know about you all, but Sunday afternoons (I'm EST) work best for me. I'm a medical student so sometimes I have to study/ go to class or what not, but evn then I can be flexible.

Haasenritter123: What do you need from us other then logistics at this point? Any ideas on what kind of game you'd like to run? More of an RP or a combat focused game?

Q-man
06-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I've played several games through OpenRPG, and I can say it works pretty well. Its got its quirks, but overall its solid. It'll let you build maps from image files and shuffle characters around to display the combat. It also has dice rollers and whatnot built in to its chat client.

I'm in Pennsylvania/Eastern Time and I'm not sure if I can participate in a game on Friday nights. However, if you have any questions about open RPG I can try to help you out with that.

acnoll
06-07-2009, 04:27 PM
im good to play as a striker or controller

Justanewbie
06-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Well I'll throw in a bid to GM if you're interested. Been working on a campaign I was going to try and drop on a local group but sadly, that fell through.

Let's see.. I'd be willing to run something around a 50/50 role play/combat split. I know that's what most people favor and I'll try and stick with it but personally I lean towards more role play for explorers and have fun with instigators and actors. My campaign is just a rough outline at the moment, and I can give you an idea of it (and will in the email I'll send to ya) but I would like to get a good grasp of the characters I'll be working with so it can become more of an "our" campaign before I fill in the holes.

Anyways.. the downside to having me GM is that I'm very new to playing online D&D and not sure what programs to use but I am very willing to invest time and effort into learning fast while setting up our story if you're willing to give me a quick run through of what programs we'll be using. I am familiar with skype and other voice programs, so that won't be a problem, but maptools and openRPG are pretty foreign to me.

Right.. so I'm eastern timezone. 7:30pm for me right now and I'd be willing to play on weekends or week day evenings. I'll shoot you over an e-mail as well. Hope to hear from you soon.

-JN

Q-man
06-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Depending on which days you run it I'd love a game. As I said above I'm pretty familiar with OpenRPG so I could give you a rundown of what you'd need to know for it, just let me know.

Maptools I haven't used though, not sure what its all about. Guess I should take a look.

haasenritter123
06-08-2009, 05:44 AM
At this point i'm pleased to hand it over to Justanewbie. I'd like to play a Warlord, Cleric, or Wizard/Rogue. Warlord is my first choice. Fantasy Grounds looks interesting. Whatever enviornment you go with let me know I'll figure it out. I'm loading Windows on my Mac so I can join in (ugh the things I'll do to game) LOL.

ajpfox
06-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Ok so...as of right now where do we all stand lol?

I'd like to play a sorcerer, barbarian, or druid, depending on how things go. Personally I like more combat in my games, but I'm very flexible to go with what the group wants.

yukonhorror
06-08-2009, 02:59 PM
I am not sure how many I count, but I'd love to play if it is a sat game. I have lots of macro sets for maptools that can easily be edited for everyone to use.

I run a game on sundays, and it makes the flow of an online game so much quicker.

As for character, I probably have a concept in mind for every character class available, so I truly don't mind filling in the unwanted role.

I don't know who is in charge or what, but PM me or reply here if it is ok for me to join in.

Justanewbie
06-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Alright.. alright. Since I proposed the idea of me GM'ing I guess I'll step up and take some semblance of charge! So far from what communications I've had this is the information and the 'yadda yadda' about what we're doing to date.

1) Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays (all in the evening at about 5pm eastern to midnight is open. Saturdays are more flexible and Sundays are a slight posibility) are what we've narrowed down to so far.
2) Homebrew
3) We have a PHB2 Bard wanting to be rolled and no other characters yet.
4) The majority of the campaign's intro will be more of an outdoorsy feel. But who knows here we'll end up >:)
5) Have room for about 4 more players max. Might be able to swing 5.

If you are interested send me private mail with your times / character class preference and I'll hit you back some time tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully tonight I will also have a "brief" introduction paragraph to give you an idea of what you're looking forward to story wise. I would like to incorporate each of the character's backgrounds and personal stories into the main one as well in some way or another so have some fun with it and we can work together on that if you like.

Anyways, talk to you all soon I hope and can't wait to get started.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Update.. potentially up to three players and myself at the moment.

We have a potential Bard, Warden and an undecided striker/controller so really.. at this point, a couple more players and we'll begin setting a game plan in motion!

Q-man
06-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Sounds like the start of a good group then! Can't wait till this gets started.

Justanewbie
06-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Further update:

1) Homebrew Settings
2) Bard class confirmed. Fighter confirmed. Two more characters in creation.
3) VERY Basic outline of story: Rumors are spreading of savage Barbarian raiders and their unyielding Warlord scouring remote villages and towns with unbeknown intentions or motives. Witnesses are scarce and facts as frequent as fictions. The pattern of attacks, however, indicates advancement upon a major city. Perspiration on the crowns of nobles is a well known direct influence on the influx of mercenary coffers. Heroes and opportunists alike are beginning to be sought out with promise of fame, fortune and fables. Opportunity now knocks with a heavy hand to all willing adventurers.
4) Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday are all the dates in question. All from 5pm Eastern to Midnight. We are still narrowing it down and working out conflicts so throw me a private messages ASAP or message me.

Brem
06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Definitely sending in my char information

haasenritter123
06-09-2009, 05:08 AM
I am pretty open to any character role but my first choice is Warlord. Saturday or Friday evenings would be best for me as I am in Japan so they would be more along the lines of Sunday or Saturday my time.

Spence

ajpfox
06-09-2009, 07:57 AM
I am rolling up a storm sorc (PHB2 and Arcane Power) if we have room for another stirker. If not I'd like to go with a panther druid.

Sundays and thursdays work best for me. Although I'm flexible. Count me in!

Edit: Also did we decide which medium we're using? Skype? Open RPG?

Justanewbie
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
1) Homebrew Settings
2) Characters to date:
Gnome Bard
Half-Orc Fighter
(Possibly) Gnome Wizard - Willing to change if others want a controller.
(Possibly) Warlord / Cleric
(Possibly) Sorcerer
3) VERY Basic outline of story: Rumors are spreading of savage Barbarian raiders and their unyielding Warlord scouring remote villages and towns with unbeknown intentions or motives. Witnesses are scarce and facts as frequent as fictions. The pattern of attacks, however, indicates advancement upon a major city. Perspiration on the crowns of nobles is a well known direct influence on the influx of mercenary coffers. Heroes and opportunists alike are beginning to be sought out with promise of fame, fortune and fables. Opportunity now knocks with a heavy hand to all willing adventurers.
4) Saturday evening is the date in question. From about 5P.M Eastern to Midnight. We are still narrowing it down and working out conflicts so throw me a private messages ASAP or message me.
5) In debate: OpenRPG or Maptools so cast your vote and send it to me VIA Private message please.

Paintknight
06-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Hey all, sorry about the delay. I'm actually currently DMing a game at the moment and don't have time for another one. If that changes I'll start a new thread. For now, I gotta say I'm unavailable. Thanks for your interest, all!

_Paintknight

Brem
06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi everyone, I'm the guy who is going to be playing Lugert, the Half-Orc Fighter. I thought we could use this forums space to get to know each other before this campaign got started. We can talk about our characters and other things.

yukonhorror
06-09-2009, 06:08 PM
I have a couple of character ideas, but I don't want to sway anybody's decisions. I tend to favor defenders, but i like strikers too. I like ranged and melee strikers equally. I have never really indulged a controller, but with the illusionist stuff in arcane power, I am "thinking" about it.

Q-man
06-09-2009, 06:31 PM
I had chosen the Bard to play in this. I had never gotten a chance to play a Leader class so I thought I'd give one a try.

I'll be playing him predominantly as a ranged person, he'll own a melee weapon but I don't think he'll ever choose to make use of it. I've put together a background story for him if you all are interested in that kind of detail.

Also for saturday's the 27th I can't make it. My wife and I are moving into the new house that weekend so all my stuff will be in boxes. Aside from that I shouldn't have much attendance trouble.

ajpfox
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey all. I'm your unconfirmed sorcerer at the moment.
I'd really like to play and I can probably do saturday evenings as you guys discussed. I was a bit wary of committing to this at first given my hectic schedule (I'm a senior year vet student), and things like to crop up at the worst times. Also 5 until midnight is a big chunk of time...

But despite all that, I'd really like to give it a shot and see if we can make it work. Worst comes to worst, my schedule won't allow me to game with you all, but I'm sure you'll fill the spot quickly - it seems likes theres a ton of interest around here!!

This of course, would suck for me, who is chomping at the bit to play 4e because it sounds like such a blast. Maybe I can make cameo appearances every now and then - be kinda that drifter type who keeps showing up every now and then. Just a thought. I'll post this to the thread so we can get everyone's feedback. Thanks all, looking forward to your comments!

Edit: If you don't want to message me here, shoot me an email at ajpfox@gmail.com

Brem
06-09-2009, 09:17 PM
veterinarian or veteran?

haasenritter123
06-10-2009, 06:08 AM
Ok cool. I was thinking I would play a Cleric or Warlord but I think what I will do is play a Rogue. Every good party needs a sneaky/trap killer/door unlocker type. I'll get back to you on particulars like race later. I'm thinking I might do a special forces type, we'll see.

ajpfox
06-10-2009, 07:55 AM
lol good call. I meant veterinarian.

yukonhorror
06-10-2009, 08:17 AM
I have to say midnight MIGHT be a bit late for me too. Not that I can't stay up that late, but I am at work on saturdays, and plan on taking a break to play. I am trying to wrap up my thesis, and need SOME time to get it done ;).

I think everybody has chimed in for preferences, so I will say I have been thinking the following, but I am open to them all, in order of most preference to minor interest:

Genasi earthstrength warden
human shielding swordmage
deva avenger of the Raven Queen(who keeps getting killed by the same vampire through out eternity).
gnome illusionist
half-elf druid (multiclassed with invoker and minimal wildshaping)
Human Barbarian (thaneborn)
dwarf vestige warlock

Q-man
06-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Its too bad their play test rules for the new multi-class builds (I think Wizards termed it Hybrid classes) doesn't include the classes from PHB 2. It would be interesting to see what a Druid/Invoker would be like with those rules. As the multi-class is presented in the PHB its a little disappointing since you get so little from the second class early on.

I would pick the Avenger for you though. Just because I think its a neat class and I'd like to see it in action. Although you're probably looking for less selfish suggestions though.

yukonhorror
06-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I heard they updated the rules in the may issues of dragon and it includes druids and invokers.

I don't have a subscription though, so I don't know what it would be like either ;).

ajpfox
06-10-2009, 10:13 AM
All those ideas sound really great. Can't wait to see which you choose, so many classes so little time haha.

Q-man
06-10-2009, 10:17 AM
I heard they updated the rules in the may issues of dragon and it includes druids and invokers.

I don't have a subscription though, so I don't know what it would be like either ;).

I have the subscription but so far all they've released for the hybrids were the classes from the first PHB. I'll have to check again and see if they've added anything else to it recently.

yukonhorror
06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
of course it is a playtest, and I wouldn't use it w/out DM permission. If you have an account, here you go:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090525

It seems like you guys are equally interested in seeing the characters as I am.

As such, why don't you PM me and vote on which you'd rather see. Based off of the previous responses. In the DM's post, I am the "possible" gnome wizard. So discount that one.

From what I see,
Solid: fighter
Solid: bard
Maybe: cleric/warlord
Maybe: storm sorcerer

Bondish986
06-10-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm totally down for this so count me in. Have to think about my character but possibly a dwarf paladin or cleric. Peace!

Justanewbie
06-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey flesh cattle.. er.. I mean brave adventurers!

A couple updates for ya as your peaceful, friendly DM.

1) We are doing Saturdays. Probably start meeting up and do a quick update about the previous weeks situation starting at around 5:30-5:45 PM, Eastern Time. Not really required to be there for then but I'd like to have about 30 minutes to start setting up and have everyone kinda wander in around 5:30. Around 6:00PM Eastern is when I hope to set as everyone being there for. That will be our official start time. We won't always play till Midnight, but I'd like to kinda promise we wont ever push past that unless everyone agrees cause we're having a great ol' time. So plan for Saturday nights around 6:00PM Eastern - 10/11:00 PM Eastern as our alloted time frames for Saturday nights. It may vary as we go. Hope everyone likes this. If not, let me know.

2) This brings me to my next point! This first Saturday coming up a couple of you have expressed as not being entirely great for so if anyone does wanna show up for it we can meet up on chat or something and kinda set up some back stories and get a little group together. Work out a lot of things that I need worked out. Now my problem is NEXT Saturday, June 20th. I have a wedding to attend during the day and doubt I'll be able to even make a later evening time. Sorry all.. shoulda remembered this earlier. So maybe we can bump it back or forward a day or two? Pick a new day for our introduction to play on that we can all agree on for one night?

3) I'm going to start requiring narrowed down character race and class as well as your first level information. I'm undecided on rolling or standard selection (or even point distribution) as our attribute decider. I personally prefer rolling. I'm sure you all know how it works but I like to add an addition set of 4d6 as a seventh set that you can swap out for your lowest. If anyone knows a program or chat or anything that allows public dice rolling, give me a holler. Need backstories as well and if any of you would like to take initiate and mingle in together hopefully we can kinda tie everyone up by each person knowing at least two other members of the party through something in the past. (Pleasant or painful :))

Youkon; go ahead and play whatever you like. As long as you have a cool back story that fits in with everyone else, and everyone else in the party doesn't mind, I'm fine! After all, this is new for me (online) and I'm willing to cut loose and have some fun with it, if you all are.

Also.. Bondish: welcome to the team! ;)

-JN
Oh right.. also;

We've pretty much narrowed down to OpenRPG so if anyone has a need to learn anything about that bug Q Man :) He's our expert!

And as for classes.. yes, go for whatever you like but if you're ever torn between things try to lean on the side of PHB and PHB2 :D

-JN (again)

yukonhorror
06-10-2009, 04:48 PM
the chat and the forums on this site have dice rollers

I am fine with random attributes, but I can tell you the point buy in 4e actually works.

attribute

ajpfox
06-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Sounds awesome. This saturday actually doesn't work super well for me either, so I'm glad everyone is having issues (taking the gf to the "nice" restaurant lol). I'm down for a bit of introductions and such around 5:30 like justanewbie suggested though.

In games terms. I'll do point buy. I agree, with yukonhorror, it works well. I'll have a charsheet tomorrow...after my surgery exam lol. As well as some starting backstory.

In terms of race, I'm going human. I've never been quite so excited to play one!

yukonhorror
06-10-2009, 05:14 PM
hmmm? curious

attribute
attribute
attribute
attribute
attribute
attribute
attribute

someone mentioned rogue. I know fox is doing a sorcerer, is the rogue still thinking rogue? I am still debating.

Seeing those rolls, I'd prefer 22 point buy too :)

Another mac user I just noticed. Does openRPG work on powerPC?

Q-man
06-10-2009, 06:07 PM
OpenRPG is written in Python, so it does run on OS X. The downside is that the install is pretty complicated. I don't have a mac so I've never been through it. Here's a link with instructions (http://openrpg.wrathof.com/faq/Guide_to_installing_OpenRPG_on_Mac_OSX) for it and a forum thread (http://z9.invisionfree.com/Mayhem_Gaming/index.php?showtopic=2164) that also talks about it.

For those of you using windows its pretty straight forward, grab this installer (http://www.assembla.com/spaces/openrpg/documents/cVEaVk5xur3lWoabIlDkbG/download/OpenRPG_Installer.exe)(don't get the one from openrpg.com or rpbobjects.com, they have an old link to an outdated version). When prompted agree to have it download and install Python. It will download all the files you need and install them. I recommend keepign everything in the default install paths, some of the components are sensitive about directories with spaces in the names.

Next question are there any other apps we are going to be using? Personally speaking, I'm ok with just typing into the chat to do all the RP, but I'm sure having something for voice (lke ventrilo or skype) might be preferable to others.

OpenRPG does allow us to create forms to store character sheets, but they aren't the prettiest things very functional though. Is there some other way we should store them for our friendly DM to have a look at them?

ajpfox
06-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I agree with Q-man, I think something besides open RPG like skype would be beneficial.

Also, don't know if you have seen this, but its a pretty good and rather well updated tool for making a charater online, with option of printing out a char sheet at the end.

http://www.pathguy.com/cg4.htm

It doesn't have EVERYTHING, but you can always add something in at the "optional" slots, thats not stated specifically. I think it works pretty well. Enjoy!

yukonhorror
06-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I can't use skype. I m at work on sat so I can't use any talk. Just typing. I am curious to see how openrpg compares to maptools.

Justanewbie
06-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Hey guys.. got a kind of history/lore of the land you'll be doing the majority of your adventuring in as well as a quick (and slightly embarrassing) map of the terrain. I'll throw the text in now I suppose if anyone is interested and draw a shoddy version of the map in a minute just so you have a basic idea.

The North Western coast of Eidarth is a remote and quiet expanse known as Toblan. Once known for its fearsome barbarians and chivalrous knights, it has long since faded from glory and fame. Stories of heroes venturing forth from Toblan in the name of King Laopold to dispense justice and protection to the weak and are forgotten. Instead, adventurers and bold treasure seekers set out to pillage Laopold’s ancient kingdom in search of lost wealth and forgotten lore. Few of these adventurers manage to escape with their lives, let alone a reasonable plunder. With the dangers out weighing the rewards, the kingdom is beginning to fade into history; its fables buried in time.

The residents of this country are a sheltered lot. Knowing only their local history and residing within their town or city’s walls, they have had little to fear or concern themselves with aside from petty rivalries with neighboring villages. Outsiders are ignored at best, regardless of their race, and trusted only by the weight of their purses. The capital, Laopold, is named from an ancient king whose deeds are exaggerated traditions that can be seen as statues and plaques throughout cities and the countryside. Two other major cities inhabit the eastern plains with Laopold; Bravendurst to the North and Aurin to the east. Far to the west, marking the end of habitable terrain is the city of Shield’s Head. History marks it as a defensive location to deflect the Barbarians upon the Plains of Deadrin but any record of a battle or feud there is as old as the forgotten king. Villages and hamlets litter the rest of the country side, mostly sheltered within a reasonable triangulation of the cities. The citizens are born and raised within their respective locations and eventually perish peacefully (for the most part) without ever even dreaming of adventure. Traveling and trade is done by what brave men and women are produced in this land and few ever stray from the main roads and highways.

Any information on the wildlife and creatures inhabiting the unsettled areas in Toblan are found in worn journals and the boring sections of heroic tales. Barbarian nomads are said to travel the infertile Plains of Deadrin yet no one recalls ever encountering them. Orcs, goblins and other foul creatures can be found in the expansive Grogorin Mountains to the south and are rarely bold (or interested) enough to raid northwards out of their safe and comforting holes. The Barren Woods between Bravendurst and Laopold are said to be haunted and ought to be avoided by those unwilling to dispute the theory. The eastern border is guarded heavily by the rushing currents of the Murrin, a mysterious body of water that is constantly blanked by a heavy thick mist. Those who venture too near the fog claim to hear the rushing water singing a chilling ballad to suffering and death.

With few entrances into this withering country, save a break in the mountain range to the south or a dangerous journey over seas in the north, it is no wonder that few seem to enter and less tend to leave.

-JN

Update: Rough Map quickly done up in paint just to give you an idea of the terrain. (Excuse the rougness;))
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3108/toblan.png

Q-man
06-10-2009, 09:07 PM
I will say this about typing. By default OpenRPG will save the chatlog for you, so if your interested in a record of the session the more we get typed in the better that chatlog will work as such a record.

Its been my experience that using the chat for in character stuff and using the voice stuff for the out of character comments and questions works pretty well. You get a nice record and you don't bog down the session working out questions in text.

Again I'm partial to typing so it suits me well. For those that aren't speedy typers or aren't a fan of lots of typing this won't work as well. I'm easy with it though, whatever works for the group I'll adapt to.

Brem
06-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Love the map and backstory! That's awesome! Lugert can't wait to smash some heads in.

haasenritter123
06-11-2009, 02:44 AM
Yukon, I have decided not to be a rogue, so go for it. I believe the party would really appreciate having one around to disarm traps and such. I am playing Braga, a Great Axe wielding Goliath Barbarian and fallen Cleric of Kord (multi-class cleric) who was cast out of his temple for his reckless use of force. He is responsible for seriously injuring a fellow acolyte during a training exercise.

I am in agreement with many of the other posts, I prefer the point buy system. We all start on an even playing field and can customize our characters to fit our classes. I like the map and backstory. I am available this weekend so I will try to have the program running. It will give me a chance to test it out on my computer.

D'argos
06-11-2009, 03:51 AM
So wanted to play but job just changed hours on me. Goodluck and have fun on Saturdays.

yukonhorror
06-11-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't want to play a rogue. But if there is already a melee striker, I am going to go with my warden.

Of course, he has NO backstory, so I have to think of something.
@our GM

How does this work:

Petroff von Artico (rock of the bear)
Stone Genasi Earthstrength Warden

Petroff was raised in a simple tribe which lived a life revering nature. Only taking what they needed, the concept of the circle of life was the central dogma of the people.

Petroff grew strong and was trained as a runner for the tribe. On a seemingly normal day, Petroff was tracking a herd of buffalo whose migration paths had vastly deviated this year. The tribal leaders were hoping he could determine the cause of the abnormal behavior.

After a week, Petroff couldn't decipher the cause and ran home. When he got there, the teepees [very native american-like culture] were burned to the ground and all of his people were slaughtered. All of the crops were gone and it seemed someone salted the earth.

Petroff summarized these marauders must have caused the change in the migration patterns. With his gear in hand, Petroff starts running to the source of all of this trouble.

Justanewbie
06-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Sounds good Youkon. Whatever you and the group like. I'm getting excited over all either way. I'm guessing you'll be an Earthsoul manifestation then? I'm not entirely sure if it's a set manifestation (I'd prefer that) but if you wish it to be (or it is) interchangeable, then I'm going to require a bit of a house rule that a small meditation is required. Such as a few hours while everyone else is resting and a DC check. The check will vary depending on the abundance of the element you are attempting to manifest in the location you are at. Failure means you just remain in your original element and critical failure may have an undesirable effect :mad:. (Perhaps I'll be nice and give you a slight advantage for beating the DC with +5. ;))

So this is what I'm assuming everyone is punching in as when we start playing:

QMan-Gnome, Bard
Brem-Half-Orc, Fighter
Youkon-Genasi, Warden
Hassen-Goliath, Barbarian
Ajpfox-Human, Sorcerer
Bondish-Dwarf, Cleric

Lot of meat in this group. So what I'm thinking is.. since I know Aj has mentioned he may not be able to clash swords every Saturday, that if it comes down to it (being a sorcerer) he can be part of a greater cult or group of magi that has many tasks or rituals that require his presence or dedication from time to time. I can't really pin him in as a studious sorcerer locked away in study. Doesn't fit the class very well :confused:. Or perhaps he may have been nominated for a side mission while the rest of you embark on a greater focus. IE: while you head to intercept a blood lusting horde of barbarian warriors B-lining for a defenseless village, he takes off on the only available mount or ship sailing that direction to warn the villagers ahead of time. Or while you lot decide to storm the cave of villainous orcs to catch them in their nest between raids on a nearby town, he covers the back entrance to prevent escape or even stays in the town to defend and protect from a different threat. I'll most likely catch up with him during the week if that's the case (previous to or after the Saturday he misses) to make up for this absence or even have a separate posting in progress on a forum for us all to read that we can add to as we go.

Anyway I hope that works out with everyone because it may be how we handle an absence during the campaign with everyone :) I'm sure I can work something out.

I would also like to kinda get something else from you guys in addition to characters/backstories, races and classes. (I know, I know, demanding). I want to sync a couple of your stories together and would like to know an idea of your alignment or personality. Are you loyal or greedy? Kind or cruel? Are you bound to your allies with honour or serve only yourself and your immediate needs? I have an idea of a couple characters I want to mix pasts with so let me know soon and if you have any preference on who you party up with let me know. Gonna try and hook everyone to at least one or two other people.

-JN

Q-man
06-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Here's his background and a few notes on his personality. If more detail is required I can try to come up with more stuff. Hopefully this will be enough though since its all I've got on the guy so far.

Basic Info
Name: Quintus Sibwarra
Race: Gnome
Class: Bard (Possibly multi-class to Warlock)

Background
When Quintus reached his teenage years his arcane abilities started to reveal themselves. These abilities weren't under his control so strange things would happen around the house; such as books floating around or strange lights flickering. As soon as his parents realized he was the source of these strange activities they immediately set out to find him a tutor, before he caused a real problem with them.

The village had several magic users in it, but only one was willing to take on an apprentice. An old warlock named Malleus was willing to take the boy as an apprentice. Malleus had been in the village a long time, and a few folks knew him fairly well. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but there were a lot of rumors about the type of magic he practiced in hidden rooms in his house. These were only rumors, and he seemed a decent fellow so the parents felt they could trust him with their son.

Quintus was a little secretive about what all went on during his lessons, but his parents were seeing that he had a lot more control over his arcane powers. None of the random random effects were seen after only a few weeks of lessons. Malleus had a few complains though, apparently Quintus wasn't the most attentive student and his mind wandered far too much. Quintus did wonderfully at lessons in histories and legends, but during his technical studies his mind was filled with adventurers and dragons. It wasn't that he was unable to complete the lessons, it was that with his aptitude Quintus should have excelled at them.

A side thing that Quintus found on his own was that music really helped him to focus. For some reason when he was playing a harp or lute he was able to focus his thoughts in a way his studies were never able to. While playing he had much greater arcane control and was able practice and do his exercises with ease. He couldn't bring the instruments to his lessons, he knew Malleus would never permit it so he never needed to ask, but anytime he was practicing alone he'd bring them out.

Part of what was not being said was the Malleus' teachings weren't all on the level. A few of the rumors about him had some truth behind him. He wasn't quite practicing the dark arts, but some of his personal studies were slightly past the line between good and evil. He wasn't bringing these topis into Quintus's lessions, but a few were coming close to that line. In the time spent with his teach Quintus started suspecting that there might be more going on than was admitted, and it made him nervous and possibly fearful of his teacher.

Once Quintus had finished all of the studies in history and legend he decided that he had learned all he could from Malleus, and wanted to travel and explore to learn more about the heroes from the legends. It hadn't escaped his imagination the he could be swept up and live through one of those epic stories as well.

Quintus didn't approach his teacher with it but merely told his parents what he'd decided. He'd learned all he could, and wanted to explore further to learn more about history and heroes of legends. His parents were concerned since he didn't seem well adapted to handle the outside world. Quintus was always concerned about things being neat and clean, he wouldn't abide any dirt or mess. He'd also never been outside the town, so he wouldn't know anything about traveling through the wild lands between towns.

He was adamant, and once his parents realized that he wouldn't be stopped they reluctantly agreed to let him start his travels. The made him promise to explain it to Malleus, but he was a little frightened about how he'd react. Instead he left town without saying anything.

Personality Notes
Quintus' main focus are the legends and stories of old. He'd attach himself to any group that might lead him towards more of those.

He also fantasizes about living through an adventure that might become a new legend. With that in mind he keeps a notebook handy to chronicle any adventures he might get into in the hopes of writing such an epic.

He hasn't seen much combat and is very fearful of it. he'd prefer to avoid it altogether, but if there's no alternative he'll stay as far from danger as possible and attack with ranged spells of a crossbow.

His loyalties lie mainly with the legends. He won't leave a group stranded or in trouble, but if all is well and they aren't heading towards sources of now legends he'd consider bowing out. (Though with the description of Toblan there are legends buried all over, so I can't see that being much of an issue)

yukonhorror
06-11-2009, 05:33 PM
@justanewbie
I think you are thinking 3.5e type stuff. In 4e, you pick your manifestation at 1st level, and you are stuck with it unless you take a feat (which I may take eventually). If you don't have the FR player's guide for 4e, I can copy the genasi entry for you.

Yes, the one I picked is Earthsoul.

Alignment is good.

As for possible character integration, I could bump into someone who has also been affected by the hordes and we'll be united by our common enemy. Maybe the barbarian is part of a rival horde (one that is more peaceful), and I stumble across his camp in flames and we decide to join up. Just throwing out ideas.

Petroff is quiet and determined. He has a strong sense of duty, and he must avenge his family if they are to spend eternity with the rest of his ancestors. He has a very serious attitude and isn't one to monkey around. Petroff doesn't take any more than he needs, so he is far from greedy.

Brem
06-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Lugert's back story is fairly simple and easy to work with. He is from a large tribe of Orcs and Half-Orcs that live in the mountain regions. When men reach a certain age, those who earn the right to leave go out into the world to fight as mercenaries, spending time in many different armies to learn differing tactics and strategies used throughout the world in combat. They then return after a decade of knowledge building to lead and train the tribe or to branch off into another tribe. Lugert probably meets up with some one in this group and acts as a bodyguard or partner in combat because they both thirst for the fight. Work me in where ever it makes sense, as my backstory is very malleable.

Justanewbie
06-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Alrighty.. Brem and Hassen. This is what I want to do for you two.
Barbarian Goliath and Half-Orc Fighter.

The Orc Tribes of the Trungrun Mountain range are an oddly loyal and proud lot. Allowing the few half-bred offspring of their members to be raised and treated as equals among their respective clans. Though savage and strong, they rarely seek out trouble with other civilized races and instead brand their men and women with tattoos to mark them distinct from their cousins. These warriors are often sought out as mercenaries and captains amongst other cultures and valued highly in any army.

One such Half-Orc, eager to be out and make his name as bold and fearsome as his forefathers, is a prime example of the reputation this Tribe holds. While traveling the woods at the base of his mountain, the powerful brute was set upon by bandits. Knowing the worth of these creatures in slave markets, they attempted to distract and disarm him before he could cause considerable damage. Unfortunately for them, a greedy member of their party pinched a quaint looking idol from the Half-Orc's pack while attempting to retrieve a dagger. Shifting instantly into a blood rage, the Half-Orc decapitated the pair of bandits distracting him and set off in pursuit of the fleeing thief, desperate to get his ancient heir-loom back.

As the bandit fled, unaware that simply dropping the stolen item would divert a very gruesome death, he dashed headlong into the broad, powerful chest of an enormous Goliath barbarian. Reacting foolishly once again, the Bandit stabbed forward with his dagger attempting to startle the Goliath and promptly lost his arm from the heavy counter of a massive great-axe.

Crashing into the clearing moments later to find the Goliath collecting the idol from the twitching corpse, the Half-Orc raised a single, thick finger directed at his stolen artifact and growled one word.

"Mine"

The Goliath, still burning with adrenaline from his recent victory, lifted his deadly instrument and responded by spreading his stance for battle. There was no yielding to what he assumed to be the party of the scum littering the ground at his feet.

No more words were spoken that day. None were needed. From the first clash of their weapons the two conversed in combat. Steel rung and wood splintered. Neither knew who drew the first wound, but as time slipped by, the dirt trampled beneath their feet was muddy with sweat and blood. Minutes turned into hours as neither warrior was willing to yield, and neither could obtain the upper hand. Power met speed and force confronted skill until finally, with a thunderous crash the weapons met with such force that they each sundered into tiny fragments. Stumbling backwards, spent beyond consciousness, they each collapsed.

Jolting awake the following morning, the half-orc staggered to his feet. Memories crashing down on him, he grasped at his belt for a dagger or knife but instead found his precious idol, dangling safely at his side. Across from him, sitting slouched against a blood stained tree trunk sat the bruised and bloodied Goliath, staring cautiously back. A strange understanding and mutual respect of equals was sparked in that moment as the Goliath teetered to his feet. Stepping forward, the two clasped hands, eyes level and grips firm, the blood from their fresh wounds seeping into each other's veins.

"Lugard." The Orc grunted.
"Braga." Came the firm reply.

At that moment they began their travels together. Guarding each other's backs, they each fuel the other's personal quest. One for fame and one for redemption. More similar than the closest of brothers, the two are in constant competition to prove who is stronger, faster and more skillful in battle. It is unsure where these colossal allies will finally fall but even the tightest purse would gamble that the same blade would have to spill both men's blood.

It's just a rough outline I suppose. Could probably fill in some gaps like the Goliath noticed the distinct tattoos the next morning instead of finishing off his adversary. I'm sure there can be more back story following that but I didn't have much time tonight so I just wanted to get the thought out to ya. :) If either of you don't like it, we can mix it up or just trash the whole idea. Your thoughts?

Brem
06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
That is amazing. Closely similar to the story I started to write with Lugert as one of the characters. I love it!

Justanewbie
06-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Alright.. so a minor update for today:

Worked out the sorcerer's back story (or the rough outline for it). Looks like it will be fun but he may just be the black sheep of the group. I'll let him tlel you when every thing's finalized :)

A couple more to do to tie you all together and we're set. I've just created an entire sessions worth of encounters for you all so regardless of where you end up or what decision you make I'm nearly certain that you will have a battle field and some enemies to tango with.

Going to be around in Chat tomorrow around 5:30-6 and will stay on as long as there are people there. Probably an hour or two at most. Hopefully most of us can make it and get to know each other in real time. Let's try and get all the characters made up for at least level one so I can spruce up a few things on my end.

If you can't make it, I'm sure we'll catch up some time next week. Talk to you all soon.

(Ah and Youkon, no I don't have FR 4thEd and no I probably don't plan on getting it just yet so I may need to exchange a bit of info with you there. I do have insider however and have looked into a lot of the race's settings and have all the basics down.)

-JN

yukonhorror
06-13-2009, 12:30 AM
tomorrow we can discuss stuff

haasenritter123
06-13-2009, 02:35 AM
Hey Q, I'm having issues with the installer for Mac. Python loads fine it's the next step i'm having issues with. The site is busy or something.

Spence

Q-man
06-13-2009, 08:07 AM
How are you going about the install, I think a couple different methods were suggested to try. Which one did you pick, and what step are you on?

ajpfox
06-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey all! Just thought I'd drop my characters info down. It's a work in progress, but I'm happy with it at the moment. Also, I may not be able to make it tonight like I originally thought, but I'm still going to try. If not, I know Justanewbie has something next saturday, so I guess we're looking at starting for real in 2 weeks? Let me know! Hope to see you all later!

TLDR: Skip to the bottom and read the "Personality traits" section.

Arome Shadesto is the middle child of the latest generation of the noble House Shadesto. He is the son of Argus and Delilah, and grandson to the families elder Roma Shadesto. Arome spent his childhood at the families oppulent mansion, nestled in the hills between Murrin's river and the western border of the woodlands north of Deadrin's Crossing. He and his younger brother, Crileo, would run, jump, swim and play from morning until dusk, while their older sister, Avion, watched from one of the mansion's numerous gardens.

Argus and Delilah were quite the entertainers, and guests, nobles, and diplomats were always coming and going from the household. Dinner parties and dances were a common affair as well, and from an early age, Arome learned how to "work the room" so to speak. His parents guests always spoke very highly of him, commenting on how charming and level-headed he was, even for a boy. Arome's skill with speech and on the dancefloor spread quickly, and soon he was held in high esteem in many courts his parents frequented.

However, while in the public eye he seemed the perfect son, in private, Arome was less then his parents had hoped for. He consistently skipped his lessons to flirt with the daughters of visiting dignitaries, or to gamble, and tell long-winded stories with the house guards and staff. Due to Arome's laziness in his lessons and training, his brother Crileo (who had since become the favored son of Argus) would consistently defeat Arome in history, geography, art, music, fencing, and many other exploits. The once playful companionship between the brothers had sicne become a bitter rivalry. Arome would always win out with women, parties, dancing and was always surrounded by friends; whereas Crileo would sit in his room, quietly studying and practicing, absorbing every bit of knowledge from his tutors so that later he could embarass Arome once again.

Arome's relationship with his parents became worse and worse as time went on. Crileo made no effort to hide the affection Argus showed him, and not to Arome, and the two made a habit of lecturing Arome on the importance of education and the practice of "polite sport", as they called it. Arome has learned long ago however, that tradition holds no sway over him, and he needs nothing but his own will and drive to succeed. during this time, these feelings were cultivated by Roma, Arome's grandfather, who stepped into the role of father figure, and sought to teach Arome about what the world was really like. On quite a few occaisions, Arome would sneak out of his room late at night to visit his aging grandfather, and spend the night enthralled listening to his stories (which were always about adventure and magic and danger). His grandfather also told him about the Shadesto lineage, and about some hidden power few members of their line were said to have harnessed. "There's power in your blood boy! Don't deny it!" he would tell Arome. For the most part, Arome regarded this as just another of his grandfathers stories, which are entertaining to be sure, and filled Arome with a sense of wonder, but ultimately were just that- stories. Still, growing in his mind was a lust for adventure - to prove his bravery, to clash swords with titans, to slay dragons!

One day, while avoiding another boring history lesson, Arome was resting in a small field near a quiet brook not far from the family home - his favorite fishing spot. A storm was rolling in from the north, and Arome, not wanting to get caught in the storm, began collecting his things. As he picked up his fishing line, it suddenly grew taught, and nearly pulled him into the brook! Recoiling, Arome planted his feet, gripped the fishing pole and tugged with all his might, only to catch a glimpse at the monstrous fish as it exploded from the water for a moment, before crashing back into the murky water. The two fought for what seemed like hours, and finally, as the rain started pour down on him, Arome gritted his teeth, beared down, and with his last strength he said, "I will defeat you!". Thunder erupted overhead, and bolts of lightning struck down into the earth surrounding Arome. The skies swelled and as Arome began his final assault on his opponent, a brilliant azure crackle of energy shrieked down from the heavens and into Arome's body...

He awoke hours later. Dazed, he stood up. His head was pounding, and his muscles burned with every movement. Something was very different. Arome could see streaks of lightning, the same bolt that had struck him, travelling through his veins. He could feel its fury in his very blood! He was empowered, no, awakened. His true potential unlocked, Arome finally began to listen to the urges he had all his life. This place was not his home any longer, and it was time to claim his true birthright and command the power of his bloodline!

The next day, Arome's 20th birthday, he gathered his things, and what supplies he would need for his journey, and set out. He only said farwell to his grandfather, who wasn't even awake at the time...

This was 5 years ago. Since then, Arome has travelled wherever the wailing winds of fate have taken him. He's honed a few powers of his own, but still wishes to fully realize the power within him.

Wandering from city, to town, to village, he spends his time travelling in many social circles - from rolling dice and flipping cards with some farmers in the local tavern, to dancing and drinking fine wine with the upper crust of society. He is always searching for the start of his grand adventure, and is in no rush to find it, for he knows opportunity will present itself as long as he follows the wind and his will.

Personality:
At a glance:
Friendly
Unpredictable
Brave/Headstrong/Boastful/Arrogant
Talkative
Quick witted
Strong willed
Dashing

Arome is outspoken and brave. He doesn't run from a fight, but will use whatever he can to his advantage (he's not a cheat, but he's not above some deception...). Charasmatic and charming, he takes the forefront of many encounters, dominating the conversation with stories and anecdotes to win over friends, before finally working whatever information he wants (or needs) from their lips. Forever unpredictable, the mood can suddenly strike him to move on, and he will set out as soon as he's gathered his things, maybe stopping for a few moments to bid some of his better friends and allies farewell.

He has seen a bit of combat - drunken bar fights, and dealing with the fathers (and guards) of a few daughters he's charmed into his bedchamber, and has even come across some small bands of goblins robbing some travellers on the road. Though limited, he can handle himself in combat...or at least he believes he can will his way through it.

In his travels its possible Arome has come across any of the other adventurers in the group. He would be particularly likely to stick with those who are wanderers like himself, or anyone who would be a willing bodyguard (sometimes its good to have backup...) and in exchange he would offer room and board for as long as they travel together...providing the house of whatever noble he's chatting up is big enough of course!

Aromes goals are living his own adventure and realizing the true power within himself.
Hey all! What OpenRPG sever/ room are you all on? Or skype me at andrew.james.fox and we'll conference call or something.

Q-man
06-13-2009, 05:10 PM
We're actually in the penandpapergames chat room at the moment. Hadn't gotten into an openrpg room just yet.

haasenritter123
06-13-2009, 06:55 PM
I am trying a new tactic. I am downloading Windows xp onto parallels so I can download the programs onto my computer. I need windows to run the character builder anyway. We'll see how it goes.

Q-man
06-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Hopefully that does it for you. If not there's an older version that installs a bit easier, unfortunately its got some big issues. There are some workarounds to avoid those though. We'll see how the parallels with XP stuff works first I guess.

Bondish986
06-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Hey guys, hope I didn't miss anything last night and sorry I couldn't make it. I had to go and pick my mom up from the airport last night and couldnt make it. Installing openrpg right now though. Will post a thorough bio soon too. If yall wanna chat sometime or whatever just lemme know. Peace.

ajpfox
06-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey all! Been awhile since anyone posted anything...

How's everyone doing??

Brem
06-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey, yeah, I hope all is good, I'm totally free this Saturday, or another day if the GM can't make it. Sorry I couldn't get to the chat on Saturday.

Q-man
06-16-2009, 05:41 AM
I'm doing pretty well. My physical therapist said my leg was recovering well, I'm hoping that means the doc will let me try and walk on it a bit sooner.

Looking forward to our game this Saturday!

yukonhorror
06-16-2009, 08:32 AM
I thought it was sunday this week?

Q-man
06-16-2009, 08:36 AM
You're right it is Sunday. My mistake, I forgot we rescheduled it.

Brem
06-20-2009, 08:03 PM
So it is Sunday night at when? I got OpenRPG installed yesterday, it seems to be working. How is this going to go down tomorrow?

Q-man
06-21-2009, 07:20 PM
So what happened? I know we delayed from Saturday cause of a wedding. I'll admit I was a bit late, I forgot it was Father's Day and I had plans to take my dad and grandpa to dinner. Did I miss the game, or was it held off again?

ajpfox
06-22-2009, 07:18 AM
I have no idea what happened. We need to work on the communication lol. Haven't heard from justanewbie for awhile. you guys can catch me on gmail at ajpfox@gmail.com . maybe using the thread isn't a good method anymore? still looking forward to playing!!

yukonhorror
06-22-2009, 09:31 AM
I pm'ed him, but never heard back. Of course I was home on sunday vs. at work, so I had to redownload openrpg. I couldn't find ANY servers let alone ours.

haasenritter123
06-23-2009, 09:19 AM
I was a no show but I am having issues here. What exactly are the times and days we are playing? I'm in Japan and the time difference is an issue.

Q-man
06-23-2009, 09:37 AM
The game was scheduled for Saturdays at 5:30 Eastern time. This past weekend Justanewb had a wedding to be at, so it was moved to Sunday. From here on out it should be Saturdays.

ajpfox
06-27-2009, 09:22 AM
HEY! Is everyone still out there? Whats the plan for tonight??

yukonhorror
06-27-2009, 10:21 AM
who the heck knows

our GM has been silent for a while.

everybody level up and someone can run thunderspire labyrinth?

Either way, lets' be in the chat about 5:30 tonight

haasenritter123
06-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Guys I am sorry but I have to bail. I am just having too many issues with the program right now. I wish you all luck.

yukonhorror
06-27-2009, 07:53 PM
I waited for a long time and no GM. There is another game I can join in on saturdays, so I think I also have to bail. Sorry.

doerrtea
07-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Am I to understand this campaign is dead? That is a shame. If however it gets revived I would love to join it. Please email me @ matt063@msn.com