PDA

View Full Version : Who Went To Gameday?

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Anybody go to Gameday?
I, unfortunately, was not able to. Panthro82 and I spent the day making raised beds, though. And we had fun, I think. Steak, manual labor and geekiness abounded.
We totally made some great raised beds, though.
Created a garden to rival the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

Seriously, though. How was everyone's experience?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Was at KublaCon all weekend. How was it? Anyone want to share.

templeorder
05-26-2009, 01:11 PM
I did not, but as promised, i rolled a D20!

cpljarhead
05-26-2009, 01:16 PM
i went. havent played 4th edition before and quite frankly i dont like it. the adventure was rather well done but to me the system itself rather lacks something to be desirewd. even the monsters used were well more powerful than probably should be (rust monster with over 40hp) causing reall problems for the characters at that lower level. the pregenerated characters lacked any imagination and coulod have been done a lot better. PLENTY OF MISTAKES AND AGAIN I NEVER PLAYED 4TH EDITION BEFORE. nothing to write home about except the storyline was good.

Ezero
05-26-2009, 03:01 PM
It was a good time, After reading through the MM2 I sat down and played. Rust monsters with 40 HP isn't bad at all. Makes a good challenge.

mrken
05-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Players love my rust monsters. :)

Didn't use them this last weekend when I started up another new batch of players. Only problem was two of the players have seen my rust monsters. They might not fall for it the next time they run into one.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Rust monsters area great. It's like throwing a wrench into the machine of an adventuring party.

Grimwell
05-26-2009, 10:46 PM
I went, and took my son with me. We had a great time and the only stain on the experience was one of the people at the FLGS who was there for the event. I don't let that person affect my review of it though.

Yes, my pregenerated character was not even close to what I would have built; but I went for the experience and found the critters fun and the adventure to actually be better than I had even hoped ( I had very low hopes ).

vic_kidd
05-27-2009, 12:00 AM
I went, had a good time, the characters that were provided were a little to week but was good enough using tactics to defeat the forces of evil once again.

BrotherDog
05-27-2009, 05:08 AM
What were the character choices?

kirksmithicus
05-27-2009, 04:22 PM
i went. havent played 4th edition before and quite frankly i dont like it. the adventure was rather well done but to me the system itself rather lacks something to be desirewd. even the monsters used were well more powerful than probably should be (rust monster with over 40hp) causing real problems for the characters at that lower level. the pregenerated characters lacked any imagination and coulod have been done a lot better. PLENTY OF MISTAKES AND AGAIN I NEVER PLAYED 4TH EDITION BEFORE. nothing to write home about except the storyline was good.

Well, most 1st level characters start off with about 20 Hp or more, so a 40 hp rusty isn't all that bad. Especially considering the Goliath Barbarian could do 20-40 points in one good whack. As for the pre-generated characters, they have always, and will always suck! That is just the nature of pre-gen characters, what someone else considers a good characters concept, the next guy is sure to disagree. I'm hoping that for the next game day they will have more than 5 characters to choose from, maybe a pool of 8-10. That way it will play differently depending on what characters are chosen.

Dragonborn Rogue
Eladrin Wizard
Tiefling Warlord
Dwarf Paladin
Goliath Barbarian

I played the Eladrin Wizard the first time and the Eladrin Wizard and the Warlord in the second game. The Wizard was very fun, both times, the warlord...meh. As for the others, the Paladin was fairly essential to the groups survival, providing healing and so forth. The Rogue, wasn't that great, armed with a dagger only. The Goliath was probably the most under played character in both games. Most characters also lacked ranged weapons, which I think was done on purpose, to force them into melee with the rust monsters. As far as the scenario went, it was pretty good for a one shot game, better than the last one IMO.

wizarddog
05-27-2009, 09:44 PM
I got stuck with the tiefling Warlord which was horribly designed (just a random PC). My powers were useless with the group because they didn't want a free shift. I had no range weapons (DM didn't allow us to but anything) and so I was basically throwing rocks. Our Barbarian was the only one capable of still fighting because the rest of us could not get close to the kolbold's aura. We were also fortunate he never got to recharge his power.

And then we only encountered like 2 new monsters.

Surprisingly, we didn't lose any PC's unlike the other groups. One even had a TKP.

I consider it worth a free mini to go through that but on every game, no way!

kirksmithicus
05-27-2009, 11:51 PM
You should just try to do the craziest most outlandish things you can think of next time Wiz. That's what I did, worked out really well in the first game, had a lot of fun. The second game was totally different. It is strange how two people can run the same game so differently. Mostly in the second game I kept getting told I couldn't do this or that, all I could do was move and then use one of my spells or exploits. Had the second game been my first taste of 4e, I would certainly have been wary of playing it further. As always the DM can make or break the game experience.

Anyway, when they have the next game day in Sept. I will be running at least one of the games, hopefully two.

wizarddog
05-29-2009, 03:16 AM
You should just try to do the craziest most outlandish things you can think of next time Wiz.

Didn't want to overshadow the guy playing the barbarian. ;)