PDA

View Full Version : The First Character you created?

cigamnogard
05-25-2009, 06:06 PM
The First Book you bought made me think of this question:
The First Character you created:
->Mine was D&D - AD&D his name was Black Tye and he was a dwarven fighter. Oddly enough I never got to play him until a month ago when I did him up for a play by post campaign. his charcter had evolved quite differently than I had orginally pictured him when I was 13 to now when I am 34.

Slipstream
05-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Beurgo Meadowbrook
Halfling Rogue (D&D 3.5... circa 2005ish)
Was going to level him as a Wizard after I was done with Rogue to eventually prestige him as a Daggerspell Mage, but I never even got to do a single campaign with him. So much potential...

cigamnogard
05-25-2009, 06:34 PM
I hear ya...maybe eventually... :)

Freejack
05-25-2009, 11:47 PM
I played a game in 1977 but don't recall the character. I'm pretty sure I didn't create him as I was pulled into a game. I picked up the boxed set in 1978 and ran games for several years before actually playing again. But it's been so long, I don't recall who it was :)

I've played in a lot of games since then but mostly ran games. Most recently the character was provided (Shadowrun 3rd) and his name is Duc, a Street Sam. I've fleshed him out and used the stats to broaden my 3rd Ed knowledge.

Carl

Webhead
05-25-2009, 11:59 PM
The first RPG character I recall building on my own (as opposed to having a GM "assign" me one or make one up on-the-spot) was a Star Wars RPG character: Gohar Bliseig, human smuggler and freighter captain. He had an NPC copilot who was a bothan named Squib and flew a YT-1700 light freighter named "The Barrel" (my own homebrewed creation).

Interestingly, I don't think I ever did play with Gohar as a PC but I did end up using him as an NPC in my own campaigns on a couple of occasions.

I held on to the original character sheet for the longest time but last time I went through all my old RPG documents it was nowhere to be found. Oh well, I'll have to whip him up again some day.

lespapillons
05-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Well, the first DnD character I created was a human fighter named Barbarella, heh.

templeorder
05-26-2009, 12:48 AM
1978, DnD human fighter named Bart the Bold
(the first to live beyond a single adventure anyway - went through 3 months of that! Bart had a war dog... thats what helped. I was a mouthy punk in those days)

Dytrrnikl
05-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Let's see, the first character I ever created was Darnelion Male Chaotic Good Gnome fighter - 2E DnD 1989. He lasted all of about 2 hours of play before gettings squashed by a Gnoll. There was a string of characters after that for a few weeks, with most not surviving a session through a combination of bad die rolling and poor choices on my part.

However, the first character I created that survived more than one session would be Tormai Dagon Human Jedi for the defunct West End Games d6 Star Wars game in 1991. In fact, that character is still around. Haven't played him much in the last ten years, mainly because he doesn't translate to d20 Star Wars, although Saga might be a better fit, but still not right.

tesral
05-26-2009, 04:43 AM
Coran the Golden, Centaur Warrior. He is still part of my game. Heck I still have his first character sheet. I believe his is 6th level on that one. I decided it was too abused and rewrote it. However I kept the sheet for continuity.

I have his picture too:

http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/fantasy/coran.gif

GoddessGood
05-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Elven rogue-type. Orianna McKendrick (back when I thought scotch/irish names sounded really elfy) had a silver tongue and liked to snipe people from the trees with a blowgun. Her partner in grime (likewise an elf) was Jared Alkin, a demon hunter.

MrFrost
05-26-2009, 09:16 AM
My first character was Cyan Morrandor from 2E (1995), he was a Paladin whom I manage to get to 9th level. Then I ended up taking over as DM and haver been doing it ever since. I still used him in my first campaign that lasted over 3 years till I retired the setting (it was a custom one, after the guys bashed through it there wasn't much left to do) Still one of my favorite characters that I base many of my newer NPC Paladin types as.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-26-2009, 01:38 PM
D&D in the 7th Grade...maybe earlier? But Cedric Firetamer, human fighter. Broke his arm trying to catch the elven rogue when she fell from the gate she was trying to open.

cpljarhead
05-26-2009, 02:03 PM
like many of you i had an early group of characters that never made it beyond the 1st time playing them all of which were basic edition or expert edition. the first one that lasted any time was menelmacar a magic user/ thief for 2nd ed. after retired him i started to dm and have been doing it ever since until about 2 years ago when i started playing again in 3.5 edition. i still have that character and all theat went with it even the characters of those i played with. that was around 1980 or so.

Baron_Samedi
05-26-2009, 05:45 PM
The campaign we were playing back in '94 had dwarves as a wild race, so taking my cues i created a dwarven barbarian, which did pretty well, until level 3 when the adventurers ran into a wraith. Staying in character by not listening to the wizard when she told me not to, i charged into battle and ultimately was killed. On a positive note i do use the ghost of his character to guide other players when they do venture into the ruins where the wraith resides...

Tamerath
05-26-2009, 06:10 PM
A 7th level Half Elven Bard in AD&D within a group of 14th level characters, died like 10 minutes as I spawned on a moving airship and got blasted out of the sky along with the party's wizard by a Red Dragon that was attacking our airship...my familiar died, my possessions burnt to a crisp...I got resurrected...traveled a couple more games with that party then was turned into a woman by a Girdle of Masculinity / Femininity ....lol I think I played that character till level 10...Cool thing was...it was my first character and I think I did more with it and scored higher rolls after it was shifted into a woman.....GIRL POWER ALL THE WAY....

cigamnogard
05-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Coran the Golden, Centaur Warrior.
http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/fantasy/coran.gif

Nice! Did you draw him?

Webhead
05-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Coran the Golden, Centaur Warrior. He is still part of my game. Heck I still have his first character sheet. I believe his is 6th level on that one. I decided it was too abused and rewrote it. However I kept the sheet for continuity...

I've always had something of a gripping distaste for centaurs perhaps because one of my earliest D&D adventures involved my character being shrunk to the size of a house cat by a wizard, thrown into a muddy pit in the ground and subsequently pooped on by an entire centaur clan for reasons I don't recall. Yeah, I don't think I ever quite took to the creatures after that...

tesral
05-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Nice! Did you draw him?

Heavens no, it's good. Vicki Wyman did that back in 1977. I have the original framed on my wall.

I've always had something of a gripping distaste for centaurs perhaps because one of my earliest D&D adventures involved my character being shrunk to the size of a house cat by a wizard, thrown into a muddy pit in the ground and subsequently pooped on by an entire centaur clan for reasons I don't recall. Yeah, I don't think I ever quite took to the creatures after that...

Well I can't say much for that, but Centaurs are popular around here. I have two Centaurs artworks in my bedroom alone.

Webhead
05-27-2009, 01:34 AM
...Well I can't say much for that, but Centaurs are popular around here. I have two Centaurs artworks in my bedroom alone.

Of course I meant nothing against your particular centaur character...just that centaur in general have faced a steep decline in my approval rating since the unfortunate incident so many years ago. :)

Oldgamer
05-27-2009, 02:43 PM
My first characters played were pregen from the Dragonlance modules in the early 80's ... the first one I made was either Rutiki, a magic-user from 1st ed (who subsequently became my most powerful character until killed by a jealous DM), or a Ranger that I can't remember his name who was killed in the Against the Giants series by several boulders rolling over him like he was a human bowling pin :sad:

kirksmithicus
05-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Bargle

cigamnogard
05-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Bargle
Nuff said...;)

Webhead
05-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Bargle

Never seen him used as a PC but relish any opportunity to make him an NPC villain in my D&D campaigns. ;)

Mead
05-27-2009, 09:50 PM
1979. I was 5. I played Drood the Druid as a sort of supporting cast member to my teenage cousins and their buddies. Still remember rolling him up and the wonder and excitement of playing "official make-believe".

Oldgamer
05-28-2009, 11:29 AM
1979. I was 5. I played Drood the Druid as a sort of supporting cast member to my teenage cousins and their buddies. Still remember rolling him up and the wonder and excitement of playing "official make-believe".

Reminds me of E.T. when they wouldn't let Elliot play D&D because he was too young :)

cigamnogard
05-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Wow! That's exactly what I thought too when I read that post.

Mead
05-28-2009, 09:39 PM
I only saw E.T. once, in the theater, so it's little wonder I don't recall that particular scene =)

Oldgamer
05-29-2009, 01:05 PM
It's one of my favorites in the movie that's why I recall somewhat (That and when ET gets drunk). It's only minutes before Elliot meets E.T. in the foggy shed when his brother (The DM I believe at about 13 years old) and a few of his friends playing at the kitchen table. There was even an old DM screen up. I can't quite remember what they were fighting, goblins I think. None of them wanted Elliot to play because he was too young.

cigamnogard
05-29-2009, 03:54 PM
I only saw E.T. once, in the theater, so it's little wonder I don't recall that particular scene =)
Watch it this weekend - it's a classic.

Webhead
05-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Watch it this weekend - it's a classic.

But not the new "re-edited and remastered anniversary edition" release. It follows in the ill-advised footsteps of George Lucas and makes outright pointless changes such as "digitally replacing all the government agents' handguns with walkie-talkies!!!" :mad:

Why? Just...why? Oh, wait! I know...because guns are "bad" and a government agent would never carry such a naughty thing, especially in a "children's" movie. :rolleyes:

Is it too much to ask that directors just leave their classic films alone?

tesral
05-30-2009, 04:01 AM
Why? Just...why? Oh, wait! I know...because guns are "bad" and a government agent would never carry such a naughty thing, especially in a "children's" movie. :rolleyes:

Is it too much to ask that directors just leave their classic films alone?

For that reason I will never touch that film. It was a sweet film when made, but that was one of the most bone headed moves I have seen.since Gredo short first.

Han shot first.

William Shatner is my Captain.

Webhead
05-30-2009, 11:35 AM
...Han shot first...

Yes. That's the reason I still keep my VCR. I refuse to buy the endless regurgitations of versions of a movie that Lucas claims are "the way he originally imagined...again...one more time" which is nonsense anyway. Films are art. You don't add a beard to the Mona Lisa and claim "that's how DaVinci originally intended to paint it". :rolleyes:

tesral
05-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Well George did the the film to start with, so he is entitled to mess with it is anyone is. My only objection is the Han and Gredo scene. It was an unnecessary change. If someone is holding a gun on me I am not waiting for them to shot first. I'm perfectly justified in ventilating them. Over all I like the additional detail and restored scenes.

That said I think the effort would be better spent making new stories.

Webhead
05-30-2009, 02:36 PM
...Over all I like the additional detail and restored scenes...

I agree. I own the "original" Special Editions as well and I did very much like the "extra" and "restored" content. The only things I don't like are where the film was actually "changed" such as the infamous "Greedo shoots first scene" or Lucas redubbing perfectly good (and even humorous) lines for pointless reasons. Utter garbage.

...That said I think the effort would be better spent making new stories.

Exactly. Stop messing with the old stuff and focus on creating new stuff.

RoryN
05-30-2009, 02:37 PM
My first characters were rolled at the same time: Dane, a human paladin, and Zardoz, a human cleric. This was 1E AD&D, for a DM who was really into creating his own monsters, so we would battle all kinds of strange critters. I believe we created our characters at 3rd level, since we were all pretty new to the game, and he wanted to give us a chance?:confused: When we managed to catch one of his favorite creatures (a purple dragon) napping on his treasure mound and subdued it before it had a chance to get to it's feet, the whole campaign just turned crazy (crazier?) after that. I think Dane made it to 6th level before taking the ultimate dirt nap (disintegration ray) and Zardoz made it to 12th before being called by his deity to become his personal servant.

korhal23
05-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Films are art. You don't add a beard to the Mona Lisa and claim "that's how DaVinci originally intended to paint it". :rolleyes:

But DaVinci could've added a beard if that's how he felt about it. Do I think the Greedo thing was a good change for Lucas to make? No. But it's really his prerogative.

The answer to the original question:
My first character was in 2nd Edition AD&D, and he was a Gnome Bard named Squint (a nickname he'd been called so long he had forgotten his real name). Every time the party met ANYONE new, he'd sing to them the entire tale of the adventure to this point. Eventually, the barbarian would knock him out and carry him around in a backpack and whip him out when they needed him.

Tamburlain
05-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Willen was his name. He was a human magic-user rolled up in my elementary school's cafeteria in 1981 using a spanking-new Moldvay Basic boxed set, and his character record sheet always thereafter smelled vaguely of tatertots. Incidentally, my precious box of D&D was taken up by a lawful evil swamp troll named Ms. Wofford, who also happened to be my social studies teacher. I soon liberated Willen's sheet from her desk drawer, but I had to wait until the end of the freaking year to get my other stuff. Grrrr....

What can I say about Willen? Looking back, it's easy to see that I largely based his personality and image on Peter MacNicol's 'Galen' from the movie Dragonslayer. (Maybe I am biased by nostalgia, but I maintain that Dragonslayer is still the best example of a film which mimics the style and tone of a great Basic D&D campaign.)

Willen, over the course of over two years of game play, eventually made the conversion to AD&D and advanced to the 14th level. He met his maker dramatically in Vault of the Drow. To this day, I've never had a D&D character rise above 14th level, a cold fact I like to think of as the curse of Ms. Wofford.

RoryN
05-30-2009, 06:41 PM
(Maybe I am biased by nostalgia, but I maintain that Dragonslayer is still the best example of a film which mimics the style and tone of a great Basic D&D campaign.)

I have to agree with that. Our group must have watched this movie at least a dozen times right after we got cable. That, along with Excaliber, Conan, and Beastmaster. Some very good fantasy movies back in the day.:cool:

Tamburlain
05-30-2009, 09:56 PM
I have to agree with that. Our group must have watched this movie at least a dozen times right after we got cable. That, along with Excaliber, Conan, and Beastmaster. Some very good fantasy movies back in the day.:cool:

Excalibur shook my world. As it turns out, 1981-82 was a very good couple of years for sword and sorcery films. Conan the Barbarian was awesome. Strangely enough for a fantasy-loving kid, I missed seeing Beastmaster at the time it came out. I ended up seeing it on HBO many years later. Loved it.

dingle
05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
A Human Cleric died in the first adventure D&D 1st edition box set.

tesral
05-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Excalibur shook my world. As it turns out, 1981-82 was a very good couple of years for sword and sorcery films. Conan the Barbarian was awesome. Strangely enough for a fantasy-loving kid, I missed seeing Beastmaster at the time it came out. I ended up seeing it on HBO many years later. Loved it.

Excalibur was laughable. Merlin was the good part. It also had the world's...stupid, stupid is the word I'm looking for. The world's stupidest sex scene. Otherwise it was watchable. A decent retelling of the Aurthur myth.

Beastmaster I still have not seen the whole film.

Tamburlain
06-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Excalibur was laughable. Merlin was the good part. It also had the world's...stupid, stupid is the word I'm looking for. The world's stupidest sex scene. Otherwise it was watchable. A decent retelling of the Aurthur myth.

Excalibur affected me, because it was creepy. Mordred was creepy; the way he would giggle... and the scenes where the failed knights were hanging from the trees. At that age, I had read everything I could get my hands on re. the Arthurian mythos, and Excalibur was the first movie that I had seen that dealt with the horror aspects of the myth.

Not to mention, I believe that the soundtrack was my introduction to Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana'.

Have you ever seen Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen duology? I wish Peter Jackson would either revisit it--or some aspect of the Arthurian mythos, and give them the serious artistic treatment they deserve.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/Nibelungen_film1.jpg

tesral
06-01-2009, 04:55 AM
I got a live performance of that last year. Carmina Burana that is. A trip to the DSO what was well worth it.The only Friz Lang I have see is Metropolis.

Oldgamer
06-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Excalibur affected me, because it was creepy. Mordred was creepy; the way he would giggle... and the scenes where the failed knights were hanging from the trees. At that age, I had read everything I could get my hands on re. the Arthurian mythos, and Excalibur was the first movie that I had seen that dealt with the horror aspects of the myth.

Not to mention, I believe that the soundtrack was my introduction to Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana'.

At 8 years old, Excalibur rocked my world. I remember seeing it when it came out on cable (before remotes, we had a "clicky" box) and I sat on the top of the back of our living room chair and watched the whole thing without moving. Between that, Conan, & Beastmaster ... my love of the fantasy genre was born. I have to agree with Tesral on the stupid sex scene ... can we say ouch? A roughly 200 lb man in full platemail armor on top of a fully naked woman :eek: The movie certainly launched a lot of careers ... Liam Neeson, Patrick Stewart, Helen Mirren, Gabriel Byrne at the least. I had the Charm of Making memorized before the movie was done :laugh: Still do actually :)

It also began my love of classical music with Carmina Burana, I have had the entire piece since the early 90's when my wife bought it for me for my birthday (on cassette!), I now have it on mp3 :)

cigamnogard
06-01-2009, 06:12 PM
The world's stupidest sex scene.

Which one? The one with the director's daughter...no? How about the one with Lancelot & G....no? How about the one with Arthur and his sister...ahhh!
--- Merged from Double Post ---

I have to agree with Tesral on the stupid sex scene ... can we say ouch? A roughly 200 lb man in full platemail armor on top of a fully naked woman :eek:
That's the director's daughter...make more sense now?

Oldgamer
06-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Which one? The one with the director's daughter...no? How about the one with Lancelot & G....no? How about the one with Arthur and his sister...ahhh!
--- Merged from Double Post ---

That's the director's daughter...make more sense now?

What kind of father puts his naked daughter on screen for a sex scene anyway????? That's just sick IMHO.

d1comics
06-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Oh, Rynndolf the (human) Paladin in AD&D. Stranded in Ravenloft after his ship traveled through the mists. I found very quickly that AD&D Paladins did nothing for me, and he ended up being ridiculously hard to play. Of course, luckily, a bard was on the boat as well, and after one session of not getting paladins, Haplo the Charming was born!

Bob the Dalek
06-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Gizmo the Elf (it was a class! Get Off My Lawn!) He survived the Keep on the Borderlands and one other adventure before my family was deployed to Germany in 84.

Oldgamer
06-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Gizmo the Elf (it was a class! Get Off My Lawn!) He survived the Keep on the Borderlands and one other adventure before my family was deployed to Germany in 84.

Ah yes, back in the days when a non-human race was a class!

cigamnogard
06-04-2009, 07:13 PM
What kind of father puts his naked daughter on screen for a sex scene anyway????? That's just sick IMHO.
For sure...
And how do you figure the knights got it on back then? Adjust codpiece and go :eek:

Grandore The Giant Killer
06-05-2009, 01:52 PM
My first character I made was named simply Darkness. He originally was a Dragon Shaman however he ended up turning into a Necro Knight.

Let me put it to you this way this is how evil of a bastard this character was...

He went through a city, tossed a cursed voodoo doll through a church's front door, corrupted the church, turned it into an evil church of darkness for all evil worshippers, Went to another city, murdered the king, took his ring, declared himself as ruler, banished all paladins and clerics, and anyone that has anything to do with good, executed the king's daughters, and to boot he is now sending an army of black dragons to another holy island to take over.

Oh and I also forgot to mention he picked up a spell that gave him 2 additional arms kinda like Goro from Mortal Kombat and he also picked up an item called extra arm that literally works as a functioning arm you attach to your belt. So to put this image in your head correctly he now has 5 ARMS!!!

cigamnogard
06-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Very nasty! My first evil character was a lawful evil monk named "Jack". He was the kind of gnome you loved and hated all at the same time. He kept saving the party so as to ensure they were indebted to him so he could utilise them as his "free" henchmen.

Kinie
06-09-2009, 07:32 PM
My first DnD character was a 3.5 Human Duskblade named Jack. DM let me get Cure Light Wounds as a free spell and let certain 0 and 1st level spells have no casting limit.

It ended at level 3 when we got dropped into a city where the living population was the party (3 people). The undead (read: ZOMBIES) population was the REST OF THE CITY.

A month later we had blasted the city free of undeadness and gained so much XP (both from re-killing and RP'ing) the DM had to end game.

cigamnogard
06-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Why not play epic?

Cardboard Tube Knight
06-09-2009, 10:26 PM
It wasn't that long ago, her name was Deirdre Saint John and I actually have the site where her profile is hosted.

Since then I have actually remade her more as I wanted her to be.

http://writingofjc.pbworks.com/Deirdre-%22Dee%22-Saint-John

That's her.

Kinie
06-10-2009, 04:20 AM
Why not play epic?

Because we had abused his setting so badly it wasn't even funny. At level 2, in the course of a month in-game, we made over 250,000 gold apiece. And no, we didn't use any 10' ladder money loop tricks or anything like that. We just sold stuff that we found to the city's population while we had no real use for what it did.

And the DM after-game said that we would be like 24th level with two cities for us to mess around with (we'd spent the majority of our earnings in building a new city near the first one) and STILL have our money source.

We could have bought up half of Sigil within a year. I'm not joking.

Sascha
06-10-2009, 01:52 PM
First ever? An Elf, class of Elf, whose name seems to be lost to time (if she even had one; I don't remember names being all that critical in those days :P). It really is the firsts that stick out the most: the first party (my elf, and a fighter played by the DM's doofus neighbor), the first monster (hobgoblins), the first spell slung (Sleep, yay!) ... the first tavern, wherein you see the first lightning bolt hit someone's face (doofus fighter tried to get grabby with a woman there - turns out she was more than proficient with magic).

Q-man
06-10-2009, 02:15 PM
First character would have been back in AD&D. A Dwarven Cleric, I've long since forgotten his name. But the personality and general build has lived on through various incarnations through all the editions.

Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of clerics in 4th though, though that could be lack of exposure I haven't seen one played past level 4 yet. However, some of the other leader classes seem like a lot of fun.

cigamnogard
06-10-2009, 06:33 PM
It wasn't that long ago, her name was Deirdre Saint John and I actually have the site where her profile is hosted.

Since then I have actually remade her more as I wanted her to be.

http://writingofjc.pbworks.com/Deirdre-%22Dee%22-Saint-John

That's her.
Very nice!

Malruhn
06-10-2009, 07:01 PM
I remember the excitement of the night I first played - but I don't recall the actual character. I have since been told that it was a Dwarf (original D&D - it was a class as well!). After that, it was a year of paper with writing that may have well been just Xeroxed pages.

The first character I REALLY remember was a character I rolled up when I was bored. No name - top stat was a Strength of 12 - and I made him a human fighter. I worked my butt off with a new DM to get him to 4th level, and had to trade EVERYTHING I owned to get a +1 longsword. I took off into the world with a loincloth and a sword. At 7th level, I had to trade everything AGAIN (including the +1 sword) to get a +2 sword.

My first adventure out of the gate was to surprise a lone orc who was filling a waterskin at a river. I jumped out and whiffed. We rolled reaction and I won! I whiffed twice (3 attacks every 2 rounds back then!). He critted me. We rolled reaction again (old rules, eh?), I won - and whiffed. He critted me again. I won reaction and whiffed twice... he critted me and rejoiced as he danced over my dead body.

The character never had a name and I miss him today, some 28 years later, as much as when he died.

That was when I realized that D&D could be more than just min-maxing characters and copying character sheets to get a new character. It was also when I realized that there were MANY more things I could do as a DM than say, "You meet in a bar and decide to go to the dungeon. What's your marching order?"

ALL HAIL THE NAMELESS WONDER FROM WHEN I WAS BORN!!

cigamnogard
06-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I realized that there were MANY more things I could do as a DM than say, "You meet in a bar and decide to go to the dungeon. What's your marching order?"

That scenario was a favorite of my first DM but every other DM since then has been quite orginal.

Arkhemedes
06-15-2009, 10:12 PM
The first character I ever created was way back in '76, junior high school days. Found out my best friend played the game a couple of times with my brother and never let me know. When I did find out we made a character for myself. Couldn't tell you anything about it though, because I never got to play it! Rats!

tesral
06-15-2009, 10:24 PM
The first character I ever created was way back in '76, junior high school days. Found out my best friend played the game a couple of times with my brother and never let me know. When I did find out we made a character for myself. Couldn't tell you anything about it though, because I never got to play it! Rats!

Ah, someone else of the Gaming Class of '76. However I was out of high school that June.

Arkhemedes
06-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Ah, someone else of the Gaming Class of '76. However I was out of high school that June.
Oh no, you misunderstand. I missed out in '76...and '77...and '78 ...

In fact, I never got to actually play the game until just after graduating from college. So sad.

cigamnogard
06-16-2009, 06:13 PM
I made several characters for AD&D was never able to play them until almost a dozen + years later.

DarQuing
06-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I forget what the very first character I made was (no stats, just an idea), but I remember the first real I made that actually had stats. He was a half-dragon(space)/gnome mechanist for Dragonstar. I think my favorite thing about him was that he could go into space without a suit. :)

cigamnogard
06-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Dragonstar?

DarQuing
06-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Its a sci-fi D&D campaign and dragons are in charge of the known universe, and the emperor is a red dragon.

cigamnogard
06-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Very cool. I think Shadowrun was close to that at one time.

DarQuing
06-17-2009, 09:05 PM
*nods* A friend wanted to run a shadowrun campaign, I even came up with a character (lost the sheet tho :/), but we never got around to it.

cigamnogard
06-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Too bad. It's pretty cool rolling all the dice!

Thelrain
07-02-2009, 12:15 AM
First character I made was an Elf in the basic boxed editions named Thelrain. :) I've been able to enjoy playing him through 2nd and a bit into 3rd. I blended him between P&P and free-form rp on-line. His character and story are extremely well developed. I've enjoyed Thel for about 20 years now.

I even made up a 'band' of characters that adventured with him that were basically npc's in a epic story I wrote. Thel has been a big part of my life since then. I have had dozens of other characters throughout my rp days. Dirk Lyonsword is my 2nd favorite.

MNGurahl
07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
First character made was a centaur cleric named Chasm for a little known RPG called Torg.

Solkris
07-02-2009, 05:06 PM
The first character I ever made was an cleric named Rivalen in Basic D & D. I played him for a few months before we switched over to AD & D 1st edition. We were all so excited with 1st edition. I mean, imagine that, getting a race AND a class. Yeah, yeah, I'm showing my age here.

Just as a side note, I remember Torg. :)

cigamnogard
07-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Hmmm...never heard of Torg.

MNGurahl
07-03-2009, 12:38 AM
High Five for the fellow Torg player! Not many of us out there. :(

prinnycook
07-03-2009, 08:16 PM
First character I ever made was an AD&D Human Theif named Denvo Pryde. What rocks the most is I took him all the way up, he never died. I got him to max level and reached demi-god. 13 years 2 8-hour sessions a week, what a ride.

Mead
07-04-2009, 06:48 AM
High Five for the fellow Torg player! Not many of us out there. :(

Woot for Torg!

Duellist
07-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Back in AD&D second edition, I joined an established group who gave me a human fighter-mage to play. Years later, his name has been lost in the mists of time, but he is still famed for his death - he suffered a critical hit to the groin (they did love their customised critical hit tables) from a bugbear with a great-axe and reduced to about -20 hp. The DM ruled bisection, the men in the room (who were, it must be said, outnumbered by women) crossed their legs...

cigamnogard
07-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Ouch!

WhiskeyFur
07-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Think my first character was a cleric, but my DM and I didn't have a good grasp of the rules.

My cleric's 'turning' power was literally turning the undead around to face the other way.

Ah, the wonders of youth... :) this was over what.. 25 years ago now?

cigamnogard
07-09-2009, 04:01 PM
My cleric's 'turning' power was literally turning the undead around to face the other way.

HA! LOL! That's awesome!

Wonton
07-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Interesting that you ask the first character I created, not the first character I played. 'Cause the first character I played was one I took from one of my friends (he had two ;)) when I joined his campaign.

The first one I made was a 3.5 Human Sorcerer. His name was Joseph Lionheart, and he got up to level 8 before the campaign was abandoned. I still remember: his signature spells were Grease, Pyrotechnics (what a useful spell! There's a flame almost anywhere, and this can use it to either blind a bunch of people or make a cloud of smoke), and Scintillating Sphere (fireball, but with electrical damage). I miss playing him... thank god l still lhave the character sheets! :biggrin:

Oldgamer
07-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Interesting that you ask the first character I created, not the first character I played. 'Cause the first character I played was one I took from one of my friends (he had two ;)) when I joined his campaign.

The first one I made was a 3.5 Human Sorcerer. His name was Joseph Lionheart, and he got up to level 8 before the campaign was abandoned. I still remember: his signature spells were Grease, Pyrotechnics (what a useful spell! There's a flame almost anywhere, and this can use it to either blind a bunch of people or make a cloud of smoke), and Scintillating Sphere (fireball, but with electrical damage). I miss playing him... thank god l still lhave the character sheets! :biggrin:

Yeah .. Grease is awesome ... even at higher levels people tend to fall :biggrin:

cigamnogard
07-10-2009, 03:05 PM

My g/f had the same type of story. I had told her about a female halfing ranger/fighter I was playing that she became interested in D&D and eventually took over that character. While I created a male saytr barbarian.

Harwel
07-10-2009, 03:10 PM
It's really hard to remember, but I'm pretty sure my first character back in the OD&D days was a fighter named Magnus (or Maxus?) Ironfist. I was like... 6 or 7?

cigamnogard
07-10-2009, 03:15 PM
It's really hard to remember, but I'm pretty sure my first character back in the OD&D days was a fighter named Magnus (or Maxus?) Ironfist. I was like... 6 or 7?
Wow that's a great memory - how long did the GREAT live?

Harwel
07-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Wow that's a great memory - how long did the GREAT live?

He made it to level 5 or 6 if I remember correctly. It's a pretty hazy. Level 5 rings a bell.

I have a pretty good long-term memory. I've been told that people don't remember anything from before age 5, but those people are wrong. I very much remember my first day of nursery a school month after turning 4 (I was terrified and bawled and didn't want to let go of my mother). I remember reading those "I can read all by myself" books to the other kids. I also remember getting my tonsils removed when I was 3, because this was very traumatic. The needle they stuck in my thigh hurt like hell. I also woke up on the operating table (I guess they were erring on the side of caution with the anesthesia). I looked up into the light and there was a long metal thing in my mouth. I couldn't feel anything, but I heard the doctor say something like "he's waking up, put him out." That was over 35 years ago. I doubt I'll ever forget it, barring senility or Alzheimers or the like.

cigamnogard
07-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow! That's facinating in a scary kind of way.