PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Movies (really good or really bad)

Rook
05-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm a huge movie buff and am always checking out unusual films, most average-forgettable but a few gems being so good or so bad their worth sharing. Not looking for mainstream stuff that everyone has heard of...
I'll start with a couple and add some more later.

GUMMO: weird, documentary-style flick that is amazingly offensive and disturbing; I remember almost stopping it several times but wound up watching the whole thing and then feeling kind of dirty...

EAGLE VS SHARK: New Zealand film with a Napoleon Dynamite flavor to it, filled with quirky characters and strange situations, hilarious and uncomfortable

SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE: this one's only obscure if you're not familiar with Asian cinema; very sympathetic characters, gut-wrenching twists, unexpected but well conceived turns, and very thought-provoking (easy to identify with all the main characters even though they are sometimes working against each other); extremely violent at times

IRON AND SILK: based on the book by, and starring, Mark Salzman; about his true experiences teaching English in China, studying wushu under the master Pan Qing Fu, and dealing with communism, isolationism, xenophobia, and learning Chinese culture; sounds dry, but is a fascinating, funny, exciting and educational movie

More to come. Hope to find some gems from you...

Rook
05-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Adding to my own thread...

NIGHTWATCH and DAYWATCH: Based on the books by Russian sci-fi/fantasy/horror author Sergei Lukyanenko; awesome visuals, convaluted story-line, really interesting characters; made me buy the books to find out the back stories on the characters...

templeorder
05-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Repo man!!!!

Hudson Hawk!!!

Panthro82
05-26-2009, 04:15 PM
This one very few people have heard of and honestly it is soul food for me when I am extremely sick(you know everyone has those movies or foods or drinks they turn to when they are horribly ill)....Milo & Otis. A story of a cat and dog on a farm who wind up in a crazy adventure. It is a kids movie, but I still watch it when I am sick.

Webhead
05-26-2009, 08:35 PM
...Milo & Otis...

I remember watching that movie quite a few times when I was younger. It was indeed an enjoyable "talking animal" film.

Here's a couple good ones:

The Bunker: Excellent, excellent horror/psycho-drama about a group of German grenadiers stuck in enemy territory in WWII. When they realize that they are lost and cut off from reinforcements, they take shelter in an abandoned enemy bunker while they await help.

Fast, Cheap and Out of Control: A documentary by Errol Morris about 4 different men and the careers that have become their life and passion. It takes 4 very different life styles and personalities and draws them together in a way that shows you how their lives are surprisingly similar.

Mindbomb
05-26-2009, 09:11 PM
How about Equilibrium...Not too obscure but missed by most as it was overshadowed by the original Matrix release(I think) It was a really amazing mix between extremely detailed and well planned action sequences with the plotline of Fahrenheit 451.

Gummo was definitely worth seeing at least once, Was bored by Eagle Vs Shark, and Sympathy for Mr.Vengeance was great along with the other Tartan Asia Extreme flicks, especially Oldboy...

Oh and Southland Tales and A Scanner Darkly deserve honorable mentions in my book as well.

dementedwombat
05-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Here's one from the 70s. It's called The Villain. As far as seriousness is concerned it's basically a live action cartoon, but it's good for a laugh.

I saw it once a while back and have been unable to track it down since.

Mead
05-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Cast a Deadly Spell

Merlin

Oh, and be sure to check out Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire - Comedy Central series instead of a movie, but holy crap it's funny.

Panthro82
05-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Ive seen one episode of Krod Mandoon and I did laugh pretty hard a couple of times...

Webhead
05-27-2009, 12:57 AM
I have always been one to enjoy the "so bad it's laugh-out-loud good" style of 70's Hong Kong martial arts movies. Here's a few of my favorites:

Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple - this one was hilarious! You had two guys fighting with chopsticks over a bowl of rice, flying fruit attacks, and there was a "bad" dude with a 4-foot, mustache who fought with a FFVII "Cloud"-esque sword. He would literally kick the end of the blade to bring the sword up into the air before swinging it back down to attack...and later, he draws a *smaller* sword out of it!!! LOL!!!

Crippled Masters - about a pair of brothers (one with no arms and one with no legs) who develop a fighting style by working together.

Snake and Crane: Arts of Shaolin - an early Jackie Chan film with some great (read: ultra-cheesy) 70's martial arts action.

and the original (1970s) version of Jackie Chan's Drunken Master is just a classic and should not be missed.

I have a hard time finding copies of these movies but they are so totally worth it.

Oh, and I can't have a "so bad it's good" movie conversation without mentioning the horrible film Reptilian. See it...just go see it. You will understand...

Panthro82
05-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Crippled Masters - about a pair of brothers (one with no arms and one with no legs) who develop a fighting style by working together.

I loooove this movie!!!! Such a classic!!!

tesral
05-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Zardoz: Weird, just weird. Not bad, might be good, but certainly weird.

Johnathon Livingston Seagull: Yea for those of you that remember the book they made a movie of it.

Moon Zero Two: A pretty good space western.

Rook
05-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Just saw this one last night for the first time...

DARK STAR: early (perhaps first?) film by John Carpenter (Halloween/The Thing, etc.) and Dan O'Bannon (Alien); state of the art special effects in 1974 (if all you have to work with is cardboard, Elmer's glue, and some spray paint), a terrifying alien (that looks like someone stapled some monster-hands to a beach ball), scintillating dialogue (mostly between the ship's computer and two bombs with artificial intelligence), dashing protagonists (if you're into filthy, annoying, hippy-types); some of the best scenes are in an elevator shaft that seems to only open on one floor, Pinback chasing the alien beach-ball through seemingly endless and purposeless shafts and ducts, the death of said alien beach-ball, surfing in space, all the dialogue, their disgusting living quarters...

GoddessGood
05-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Screamers: Intelligent machines invade a space colony

Mists of Avalon: A made for TV movie based on a book, but I think it was a good one. Got me into historical fiction.

1958Fury
05-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Live Freaky, Die Freaky (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0197633/) - A sexually-explicit claymation musical comedy about the Manson Family murders. But don't let my description fool you; it's actually a lot weirder than it sounds.

Sascha
05-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Freaked (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109838/): Alex Winter is a self-absorbed actor. Randy Quaid runs a freakshow in South America, wherein he turns his audience into the next generation of attractions. Hilarity ensues when they meet.

Meet the Feebles (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097858/): Riffs off the Muppet concept, filled with sex, drugs and even murder. Directed by one Peter Jackson.

Rook
05-27-2009, 01:03 PM
[quote=Sascha;80010]Freaked (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109838/): Alex Winter is a self-absorbed actor. Randy Quaid runs a freakshow in South America, wherein he turns his audience into the next generation of attractions. Hilarity ensues when they meet.

Great addition to the thread. Forgot all about that movie. What about that weird-looking dude who was obsessed with Alex Winter's character? It was hard to tell how much of his appearance was real and how much was prosthetics...

Mead
05-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Mutant Chronicles! Sort of weird, and too-obviously filmed as 100% greenscreen like Sky Captain, but quite a fun movie.

nijineko
05-29-2009, 08:56 PM
one word. technically.

Zebraman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebraman).

Webhead
05-29-2009, 09:13 PM
one word. technically.

Zebraman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebraman).

Interesting. So, in your opinion, would this one fall into the "good" or "bad" category of obscure films?

BrotherDog
05-30-2009, 03:48 AM
Interesting. So, in your opinion, would this one fall into the "good" or "bad" category of obscure films?

I personally find this one to be "AWESOME!" This movie was a very good time. Any film with a Zebra-Pegacorn has to rock. ;;D

nijineko
05-31-2009, 01:58 AM
opinions seem to be divided rather firmly into two camps, namely, the extreme ends of the spectrum. i have yet to see it myself. eventually, i'll find a copy.

Tamburlain
05-31-2009, 06:50 AM
**Just noted that Tesral mentioned this one a few comments back. I hope the pictures I've added can illustrate why I agree with him wholeheartedly**

Zardoz (1974, Dir. John Boorman)

Zardoz is an example of a movie that your logical self knows is a bad movie, a truly self-indulgent movie; but, still you cannot help loving it, because it is so awesomely bad. It is, in fact, a visually sumptuous feast of perplexing awfulness.

Relish its brilliance:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/Zardoz_zed.jpg

Exhibit A: Here you may recognize one Sir Thomas Sean Connery with Zapata moustache and ponytail, wearing thigh-high leather barbarian boots and a set of magenta suspenders holding up what appears to be, well, a matching magenta diaper. His name is Zed.

Zed is going to hijack a giant floating head, so of course that is why he is packing the six-gun.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/TGIG.jpg

Exhibit B: Zarkoz, a God, and the aforementioned giant floating stone head.

Buckle up, and there you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zardoz

tesral
05-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Relish its brilliance:
Exhibit A: Sir Thomas Sean Connery
Exhibit B: Zardoz, a God,
Buckle up, and there you go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zardoz

And then it gets strange.

The music is great however. Hard to beat Beethoven. If I remember correctly, the theme is the second movement of the Seventh symphony. I have it playing right now.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Wing Commander was surprisingly good. Check it out, you wont be disappointed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131646/

Talmek
05-31-2009, 12:17 PM
The Dark Crystal for me is an obscure movie. I think it's been mentioned before on the forums, but I can't remember the context. Jim Henson, while creating a children's masterpiece with the Muppets...kinda threw me off with that one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083791/ <~~~ Dark Crystal Link

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-31-2009, 12:42 PM
The Dark Crystal for me is an obscure movie. I think it's been mentioned before on the forums, but I can't remember the context. Jim Henson, while creating a children's masterpiece with the Muppets...kinda threw me off with that one.

I remember watching that one in theaters. Oddly, and unexpectedly, great.

Rook
05-31-2009, 02:34 PM

I actually own this one and showed it to my boys; the 4-year-old loved it, but the 8-year-old was freaked out by the skexies (sp?).

A movie with a similar feel is LABYRINTH, starring David Bowie and a very young Jennifer Connely. Great music, fun story, and rife with ideas for gamers.

Webhead
05-31-2009, 02:58 PM
The Dark Crystal for me is an obscure movie. I think it's been mentioned before on the forums, but I can't remember the context. Jim Henson, while creating a children's masterpiece with the Muppets...kinda threw me off with that one...

That movie was responsible for more than a few nightmares when I was younger. Something about the skexies and the big crab-things really creeped me out.

...A movie with a similar feel is LABYRINTH, starring David Bowie and a very young Jennifer Connely. Great music, fun story, and rife with ideas for gamers.

A fantastic movie that I still watch from time to time. Who can forget the Bog of Eternal Stench?

tesral
05-31-2009, 08:54 PM

Charming.

Malruhn
05-31-2009, 09:27 PM
The original Das Boot. Nazi submariners trying to survive. Even if you don't speak German, you'll understand it all - and it still makes me weep at the end.

Heavy Metal. An old magazine with fantasy and sci-fi cartoons in it (prior to graphic novels), and some kick butt 1970s/80's rock and roll. Oh, and cartoon boobies with R-rated cartoon sex as well. The story carries it VERY well.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - the original movie with Christie Swanson. Very nice - and who can argue with Pee Wee Herman saying, "Kill them... A LOT!!!"

Mindbomb
05-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Heavy Metal. An old magazine with fantasy and sci-fi cartoons in it (prior to graphic novels), and some kick butt 1970s/80's rock and roll. Oh, and cartoon boobies with R-rated cartoon sex as well. The story carries it VERY well.

What a great flick, sparked my interest for all things fantastic at a pretty young age, although I had to sneak around to watch it...

Panthro82
05-31-2009, 10:51 PM
oh man I was about to mention the Labrynth on this thread! I still watch this movie once in a while. whats not to love? Ziggy Stardust, young Jennifer Connelly, Ludo. I catch myself from time to time humming dance magic dance in my head. LOL

Harwel
05-31-2009, 11:32 PM
A lot of what's being mentioned here isn't very obscure. Some were pretty popular in fact.

I'm going to go with "Naked Lunch" and "Brain Dead" if you want something that will mess with your mind. Just really strange stuff.

BrotherDog
06-01-2009, 01:48 AM
I actually own this one and showed it to my boys; the 4-year-old loved it, but the 8-year-old was freaked out by the skexies (sp?).

A movie with a similar feel is LABYRINTH, starring David Bowie and a very young Jennifer Connely. Great music, fun story, and rife with ideas for gamers.

Sequels for both are currently in the works. ;;D

GoddessGood
06-01-2009, 08:06 AM

Actually showed that to a guy I dated for a while. I'd seen it before, but he hadn't and we ended up giving it the MST3K treatment, which is sad. I'll have to tell him to go back and watch it without making fun of it :).

Also, that was Pee-wee in Buffy? You have ruined everything for me forever, sir. I hope you are happy.

Malruhn
06-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah, he was the one-armed vampiric henchman. I think he did a fine job - but he did have the very best line of the movie, and there were some great ones!!

Panthro82
06-01-2009, 05:31 PM
I did not know that they were making a sequel to the Labrynth. They have their work cut out for them if they want to come close to matching the original.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-01-2009, 07:58 PM
The original Das Boot. Nazi submariners trying to survive. Even if you don't speak German, you'll understand it all - and it still makes me weep at the end.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - the original movie with Christie Swanson. Very nice - and who can argue with Pee Wee Herman saying, "Kill them... A LOT!!!"
Das Boot was excellent, especially the uncut version. Fantastic movie about military life on a submarine. 5 Star Recommendation.

Mead
06-01-2009, 09:04 PM
The original Das Boot. Nazi submariners trying to survive. Even if you don't speak German, you'll understand it all - and it still makes me weep at the end.Oh yeah, four hours of awesome.

Another good WWII obscure movie is Der Untergang. They really captured the monstrosity and insanity of Hitler's inner circle.

Heavy Metal. An old magazine with fantasy and sci-fi cartoons in it (prior to graphic novels), and some kick butt 1970s/80's rock and roll. Oh, and cartoon boobies with R-rated cartoon sex as well. The story carries it VERY well.I preferred Rock and Rule.

Also, there was Wizards. Bakshi just kicks ass.

Webhead
06-01-2009, 09:10 PM
...Also, there was Wizards. Bakshi just kicks ass.

While on the subject of Wizards, around the same time that I first encountered that film (early 80's) I used to watch another animated movie that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of. My memory is very hazy but I recall the main story being about two robots that fall in love. It was sort of a "Romeo and Juliet" story as I recall, as it seemed like their love was looked down upon and they had to run away from their lives in order to be together.

I have very fond memories of this film as a child but I have never quite been able to find it again. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Sascha
06-01-2009, 10:22 PM
While on the subject of Wizards, around the same time that I first encountered that film (early 80's) I used to watch another animated movie that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of. My memory is very hazy but I recall the main story being about two robots that fall in love. It was sort of a "Romeo and Juliet" story as I recall, as it seemed like their love was looked down upon and they had to run away from their lives in order to be together.

I have very fond memories of this film as a child but I have never quite been able to find it again. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
[/URL][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LASHfeCTio"]Romie-0 & Julie-8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LASHfeCTio)?

Mead
06-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Zomg, can't forget about Starchaser: Legend of Orin!

Never dig up. Up is hell.

I saw that one in the theater in 3D, but they'd run out of 3D glasses, so I had a headache by the time the movie was over.

Webhead
06-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Romie-0 & Julie-8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LASHfeCTio)?

Wow! You know, I think that's it! Nice find, Sascha!

TheSmartestLemming
06-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Sunshine, a Danny Boyle movie. It's got a very well known cast, and director, but I didn't hear about it until it was out on video, so I figure there might be some of you that might not have heard about it either. It's about a space ship going from earth to reignite the sun (it's dying) It's an amazingly well thought out movie, extreamly suspensful, and very very well done. The music is also superb.

TimeCrimes (it's from Spain): It's one of the best time travel movies I've ever seen.

Ravenous: A great canabalism movie

All three are great suspense filled movies.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Zomg, can't forget about Starchaser: Legend of Orin!

Never dig up. Up is hell.

I saw that one in the theater in 3D, but they'd run out of 3D glasses, so I had a headache by the time the movie was over.
Would you believe I have it on DVD.

Webhead
06-01-2009, 11:30 PM
On the subject of animated films, I'm not sure that it would qualify as "obscure" but it seems to be much less known these days, one of my all-time favorite Disney films, The Great Mouse Detective.

A spin on the stories of Sherlock Holmes with the late, great Vincent Price voicing the movie's villain, it is definately worth watching.

Panthro82
06-01-2009, 11:45 PM
okay someone said they wanted obscure horrible movies? There is none more obscure or horrible then this gem...

The Starfighters. I saw this a couple years back, (the actual version, not the MST3K version) If you LOOOOOVE and or are extremely fascinated by pilots refueling jets for 90 minutes then this is the film for you!!

Sascha
06-01-2009, 11:47 PM
On the subject of animated films, I'm not sure that it would qualify as "obscure" but it seems to be much less known these days, one of my all-time favorite Disney films, The Great Mouse Detective.

A spin on the stories of Sherlock Holmes with the late, great Vincent Price voicing the movie's villain, it is definately worth watching.
Indeed.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-01-2009, 11:50 PM
I found Fright Night I & II, & Love at First Bite, surprisingly entertaining. Anyone else agree?

BrotherDog
06-02-2009, 03:31 AM
okay someone said they wanted obscure horrible movies? There is none more obscure or horrible then this gem...

The Starfighters. I saw this a couple years back, (the actual version, not the MST3K version) If you LOOOOOVE and or are extremely fascinated by pilots refueling jets for 90 minutes then this is the film for you!!

Wow! That sounds totally awesome!

NOT!

2 good favorites of mine are the Gods Must be Crazy & the Gods Must be Crazy2

tesral
06-02-2009, 09:35 AM
I found Fright Night I & II, & Love at First Bite, surprisingly entertaining. Anyone else agree?

Renfield: "Master master, government people are at the door!"
Dracula: "How to you know they are government people?"
Renfield: "They are wearing shoes!"

Rosenberg: "A silver bullet to the HEART! BLAM BLAM BLAM
Dracula: "That's verevolves."

It is cute, and worth a wasted evening.

Once Bitten (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089730/), the other camp Vampire movie of that time period had a great dance scene in it.

Castle Keep (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064137/), a dark and strange little film I saw once on late night TV.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Here's another: Ice Pirates. I love the part where they find out that the ship has herpies.

nijineko
06-02-2009, 03:49 PM

That movie was responsible for more than a few nightmares when I was younger. Something about the skexies and the big crab-things really creeped me out.

A fantastic movie that I still watch from time to time. Who can forget the Bog of Eternal Stench?

Sequels for both are currently in the works. ;;D

the dark crystal book is quite interesting as well, if hard to find. expands a bit on what might be obscure in the movie. i'm very fond of the dark crystal. even used some of the monsters in various rpgs. freaks the party out something good, especially when they don't get the reference.

stench, what stench? the air is clean, and pure! ;D

Sascha
06-02-2009, 04:48 PM
There was a Jim Henson Productions three-pack that I saw not too far back - The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, and MirrorMask. The first two are already mentioned, so ...

MirrorMask (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366780/): directed by Dave McKean, penned by McKean and Neil Gaiman; it's like Alice in Wonderland, if Alice were a circus kid and there was considerably less opium use all around.

Bonus points for best nightmare, evar: Valentine screaming "I don't want to be a waiter!" (What else would a fantasy-world being be afraid of, but a mundane occupation? :P)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Here's a surprisingly good obscure movie by Wesley Snipes called Disappearing Acts. It's kind of a chick-flick and there is no martial arts, but it is exceptionally good. Oh, and btw, the girl in the movie is pleasing to the eyes.

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 09:28 PM
i highly suggest SCREAMERS cause the graphics are amazing and the storyline? OMFG backstory alone could make 2 or 3 movies easy and still score loads of bank

Sascha
06-06-2009, 09:32 PM
i highly suggest SCREAMERS cause the graphics are amazing and the storyline? OMFG backstory alone could make 2 or 3 movies easy and still score loads of bank
Plus Robocop is the main character ;)

Panthro82
06-07-2009, 02:58 AM
I think some movies become obscure due to time. They were popular back in the day but that was 20-30 years ago. This is why I must submit to the youngins...Teen Wolf. What can I say? It oozes awesome...

tesral
06-07-2009, 03:32 AM
Hawk the Slayer -- Now that is a D&D movie that doesn't suck.

Rook
06-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Excellent addition! Very obscure but a totally awesome D&D-style movie: human warrior, elf archer, dwarf rogue, "giant" warrior", & human soldier taking on a bunch of baddies. Heroics, repeating crossbows, fast-motion archery, the Mind Sword, scorcery, highwaymen, viking funerals, an opressed nunnery, tricks, traps, and Jack Palance! Nice!

Sascha
06-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Erik the Viking (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097289/): Tim Robbins goes to Valhalla to ask the gods to let his people see the sun again; Python-esque hilarity ensues. Eartha Kitt is Freya. Terry Jones directs.

Panthro82
06-07-2009, 02:31 PM
hmm, I'll have to check that Hawk the Slayer one out

tesral
06-07-2009, 03:03 PM
hmm, I'll have to check that Hawk the Slayer one out

Hawk the Slayer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080846/), IMDb

And Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Slayer-Jack-Palance/dp/B00006G8H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1244404342&sr=8-1)

Panthro82
06-07-2009, 03:13 PM
I actually just dug around online and found out that they are currently filming a sequel to this movie as we type. It is titled Hawk The Hunter. http://www.myspace.com/hawkthehunter (http://www.myspace.com/hawkthehunter)

Bob the Dalek
06-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Young Sherlock Holmes - killer pastries ftw.

Labyrinth - yummy

tesral
06-07-2009, 07:53 PM
I actually just dug around online and found out that they are currently filming a sequel to this movie as we type. It is titled Hawk The Hunter. http://www.myspace.com/hawkthehunter (http://www.myspace.com/hawkthehunter)

Cool. The down side is getting Jack Pallance for a return will be difficult.

Young Sherlock Holmes - killer pastries ftw.

That one did have some good points.