PDA

View Full Version : Hunter: the Vigil

TheRageOfGaia
05-21-2009, 03:36 AM
I was a big fan of Hunter: the Reckoning when it was done correctly, i.e. with smart, careful everyman characters reacting to the horror of discovering that the world around them is not what it seems.

How does Hunter: the Vigil stack up? Is it meant to be a subtle, careful, personal, everyman type of game? Or does it Embrace the "typical" H:tR concepts of "shoot-'em-all-let-god-sort-'em-out" and armies of the undead?

fmitchell
05-21-2009, 04:30 AM
From a quick flip-through, it looks like it scales from "neighborhood watch" to "international secret society". The emphasis is on group cooperation, complete with techniques for multiple trained humans to take down a single monster ... as opposed to individual hunters with mystical powers like HtR.

EDIT: A review: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13953.phtml ... apparently I was wrong about individual mystical powers.

TheRageOfGaia
05-21-2009, 03:23 PM
I skimmed a little last night, and read the review. It seems like it's kind of a hodgepodge of the last game, and the new trend with White Wolf to step back, throw a bunch of ideas at you, and say "go for it."

Which I kind of like, but I do, sometimes, miss the metaplot.

Dark
05-21-2009, 03:25 PM
I loved Hunter played in many dark cold winter nights and I'm willing to give Hunter: The Vigil a chance.

prinnycook
07-05-2009, 07:00 PM
I really loved Hunter: The Reckoning but when I looked through Hunter: The vigal I was dissappointed. It seems to be about working in Cells to attack various groups of monsters it almost seems to organized. The old system was about suddenly becoming a hunter and then finding a group but you might not have the same veiws, I liked it that way. Also I have not found anyone who has actually played it.

Kaewin
07-29-2009, 09:59 AM
I have looked at it and it seems more of a short term game than a long one. Not sure if all of my players could be a "mortal" for that long.

JohnnyC
07-31-2009, 12:45 PM
I really loved Hunter: The Reckoning but when I looked through Hunter: The vigal I was dissappointed. It seems to be about working in Cells to attack various groups of monsters it almost seems to organized. The old system was about suddenly becoming a hunter and then finding a group but you might not have the same veiws, I liked it that way. Also I have not found anyone who has actually played it.

It can be as organized or disorganized as you want. You can start the game totally clueless and find a small group or you could start the game as part of a global organization dedicated to the vigil or you could start anywhere in between that. HTV is a great game, if only I could find anyone who wanted to play in the Pittsburgh pa, weirton wv area.

TheRageOfGaia
08-05-2009, 03:58 AM
I've noticed that with a lot of the new World of Darkness games, they've taken a kind of GURPS-like approach to the world, which is good, because some of the metaplot in the old World of Darkness was really stupid. But, parts of it I really liked. Win some lose some I guess.

Marley117
08-06-2009, 09:32 PM
The Vigil is my favorite book in the series...though closely followed by Werewolf. Hunter can really be anything, just like a human can be anything. It can be as organized or disorganized as you or your players make it (personally I think it'd be great if the storyteller kept it more disorganized. )

It does indeed range from home town protectors to secret groups spanning the globe. Personally, I don't like the large Conspiracy's (as they are called) though some are interesting. The Lucifuge....is just ....I don't know..I really dislike them...as well as the group who uses drugs. They all just seem too large and almost cartoony...though the group that implants mosterous things in their agents bodies...they are really creepy. The idea of having a worm from the abyss that stops magic but lives next to my heart....-shudders-

ANYWAY.

Hunter, if done right, can be amazing. The storyteller and the players have to realise that the hunters are HUMAN. They have all of the same needs. They have jobs, friends, a family (fun!) they have a morgage, or rent. They need to go grocery shopping, to the bank, to Toys R Us with their kids! What everyone also has to remember is that Hunters...aren't quite right. They can never really fit in with regular people anymore...not after what they've seen. Do they protect their family by hunting at night? If so..their family doesn't know why...and the marriage falls apart (cheating? A-HOLE!!) or does the Hunter stay home, as the rest of his cell ( a group of hunters) is hunted down one by one, murdered in their homes. How long till the thing finds his house..his wife, his daughter?

No. Hunters can't stop, and they can't do nothing BUT hunt. They have to find a middle ground, but often die trying..or worse. They go crazy...become just what they hunted.

Hunter is a complex game. Not just hunt...burn..KILL! So long as the players are kept mortal, and kept true to humanity, it can be fun and very...VERY deep. :)

WOO rambling.