PDA

View Full Version : Darwin's World. Who's played it and what was your experience?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Darwin's World. Who's played it and what was your experience?

No secret that i am a huge fan of Gamma World, though admittedly, its the classic Gamma World, or CGW. Now, i am open to the idea of trying out Darwins World, but before giving it a shot, i was hoping for some members to share their experiences with said game.

What share you?

madcrazy986
05-19-2009, 09:46 PM
It's a very fun game, but IMHO can be rather flawed. My group would have me run it when our regular DM needed a break. As I said, very fun but not the best for a regular game.

templeorder
05-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Its classic GW for me, never really tried it...

Drivvic the Southlander
08-05-2009, 08:29 AM
I've never had much luck getting my PCs to play anything other than D&D so I have a feeling I miss out on alot of good games.

LordChicken
08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Same here All people want is D&D and news on path finder

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-07-2009, 11:17 PM
P&PG, or Penandpapergames covers all rpg games, not just dnd.

This thread is specifically asking for information and experiences with Darwins World, NOT DnD. Hence the title of the thread, "Darwin's World. Who's played it and what was your experience?"

Please note the poll and that this thread is filed under Sci-Fi/Futuristic.

For DnD & Pathfinder material, you'll find plenty of crunchy goodness here: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Game on!

cliff
08-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Thoth - To be fair, the posters you appear to be chiding weren't so much saying "It's not D&D so I'm not interested" as they were "It's not D&D so my players wouldn't be interested." Reading between the lines, what I hear is "...but I sure would like to try something else once in a while."

On the other hand, they weren't terribly useful responses.

Regarding the topic at hand, do you have a link handy to a manufacturer's page or similar?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-10-2009, 04:02 PM

Thoth - To be fair, the posters you appear to be chiding weren't so much saying "It's not D&D so I'm not interested" as they were "It's not D&D so my players wouldn't be interested." Reading between the lines, what I hear is "...but I sure would like to try something else once in a while."

Couple of things:
1) I wasn't chiding, I was being helpful. Not only did i explain to eliminate any confusion, i also shared a link for this member. You misread.
2) I wasn't reading between the lines. See quote, above. Again, you misread.
3) It wasn't poster's-plural, but one poster where i took what he said verbatim. Drivvic, the Southlander's comments were fine. Again, you misread.

On the other hand, they weren't terribly useful responses.

I don't mind any responses for i welcome feedback, but making blanket statements that "All people want is D&D and news on path finder" on a non-dnd/pathfinder, but scifi rpg specific thread risks derailing the purpose of thread, or worse, a flamewar. Let's not forget that this thread clearly isn't about dnd or pathfinder, but scifi rpg, Darwin's World, specifically.

I've seen this with the dnd edition flamewars. Luckily, this site is pretty tame-99% of the time, which makes this site great.

Derailing is fine under general category, but thread specific causes arguments. And i'm not saying that i believed this was being done (i didn't, btw.), but i didn't want (risk apparent) anyone else to jump on it and make it a proverbial bandwagon. There are, after all, 1000's of members on this site who care about rpgs other than dnd and pathfinder.

Again: Sci-Fi / Futuristic (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23) > Darwin's World. Who's played it and what was your experience? (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=101945#post101945)

Regarding the topic at hand, do you have a link handy to a manufacturer's page or similar?

Here's one: http://www.gamewyrd.com/review/6

And another: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=darwin+s+world+d20&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=darwin+s+world&_osacat=0

I love the setting but am hesitant to play anything turned into a dnd type d20 rpg. Call me old-fashioned, but dnd is d20, and if one makes another game into a d20, the limits and feel risk being included. Now, even though i am a huge Gamma World fan, i am trying to keep an open mind with Darwin's World. Only thing really stopping me is the price and the risk that they tried to pc-balance the game.

It seems today, players are falling into two groups (disregarding edition specific fans), where one group that likes gritty and dark and unbalanced and unfair, and the other group: fair, balanced, rare deaths, and everyone pretty much has the same power but with a different name associated with it. Yes, these are the extreme polls and i do realize that 99% fall somewhere in the middle.

Gosh darn it, Cliff & Lord Chicken, now you have me talking about dnd and pathfinder. Curses! <Thoth shakes fist in air trying to look menacing>

If i come across a little terse, disregard. I really didn't want anyone to read my comments as anything other than in which they were intended/presented, positive, so i am surprised that you felt i read between the lines, when in fact, i read the lines, verbatim, as well as offered a helpful response. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

In conclusion, not angry, didn't suspect questionable motives, but just being helpful & friendly.

Now, :focus:

cliff
08-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm afraid I agree with you, I'm not a huge fan of d20 for science fiction. Thanks for the link, though, knowing that it's d20 is probably all the review I need. heh.

Cheers!

korhal23
08-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I've only played one time, as a one shot, but here goes: Darwin's World just doesn't do it for me. It's not bad, mind you, but it's more of a d20 Modern setting than anything else. Frankly, using campaign qualities in Spycraft will net you a better d20 based Post-Apocalyptic game. That's really where you want to go, Thoth, not here. It's a well done setting, but it's not terribly compelling.

If I wanted a gritty game, I'd grab up my old Aftermath! books, unless I just REALLY wanted to play d20, in which case I'd be using Spycraft, possibly incorporating the "Fragile Minds" book if I wanted a more horror feel to the game as well.

Don't waste your time or money on Darwin's World.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm afraid I agree with you, I'm not a huge fan of d20 for science fiction. Thanks for the link, though, knowing that it's d20 is probably all the review I need. heh.

No worries. I didn't want any misunderstandings between us. Also, i provided another link, and i will agree, knowing it's d20 about turned me off completely, too.

Cheers!

I've only played one time, as a one shot, but here goes: Darwin's World just doesn't do it for me. It's not bad, mind you, but it's more of a d20 Modern setting than anything else. Frankly, using campaign qualities in Spycraft will net you a better d20 based Post-Apocalyptic game. That's really where you want to go, Thoth, not here. It's a well done setting, but it's not terribly compelling.

Heck, it is wholeheartedly welcomed if you use other rpgs as a comparison to help better explain your experience with said game. Everyone wins that way. I've learned about some great games that way, after all.

If I wanted a gritty game, I'd grab up my old Aftermath! books, unless I just REALLY wanted to play d20, in which case I'd be using Spycraft, possibly incorporating the "Fragile Minds" book if I wanted a more horror feel to the game as well.

Yes, Aftermath does ooze grittiness.

Don't waste your time or money on Darwin's World.

About what i figured but wanted to give it a fair chance. I find i rely quite a bit on P&PG members when deciding which products to purchase and others to leave on the shelves.

That being said, Farcaster and P&PG are developing a substantial voice in the gaming world. Congrats! http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif