PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Timelines

RexxRedfoxx
05-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Kinda curious about everyone's take on letting the playters destroy the cannon timeline. Ive had imperial games that managed to kill odd Solo and Leia, light side that killed off Boba Fett as a child (diddnt stay light after that tho), and introduction of all new forces that are from outside of the Star Wars Cannon (Return of a full force Sith Navy, a Firefly like sector, even at one time having a lone Star Trek ship show up via wormhole). Id like everyone's input and ideas.

templeorder
05-19-2009, 01:16 PM
It takes a lot of GM work to break with cannon. Its hard because the game supplements may not apply in the same way and you basically have to organize the 'verse and how it unfolds from that point out - which in any game takes a lot of work. Small derivations are easy, unless its a major NPC. The easy way to handle it, and i've done this when necessary, is to deviate from cannon, then bring it back through out of game action. In Star Wars, we kept to the cannon because there was a lot that could be done in the background while letting the main plot line unfold. - its a big universe. One example of total derivation i did was a Young Kingdoms (Elric) world i ran where it totally broke with cannon and Elric and his people broke with their gods and became a stabilizing force for the world agains the Pan Tagain 'upstarts'. Their empire was gone, but as a people, Elric was leading them forward to become a major power in the world again. Had to remap the world with wars going on and new lands being explored and records changes in fortune to major players, places and plot arcs. Lots of work that took the entire buy-in of the whole group and a lot of help from the players to work through continuity issues.

RexxRedfoxx
05-19-2009, 01:20 PM
It was difficult at the time. But at the same time it was fun to consider how the galaxy changed due to the alterations.

templeorder
05-19-2009, 01:30 PM
You have to be firm as a GM in this case, because players will have their own ideas of how their actions may affect things. An established world and major players means everyone already has an idea of it all - making it great to leverage but setting expectations and preconceived notions at the same time. If the break with cannon, and the players are as much Star Wars junkie as you, ask for some help from them - thats what i did. Each game session i would spend a little time saying N character X believes Y and takes Z action - this way you say the scope of what they know, what their mind set is and the decision they make based on it... most players will, once you present it like that, follow along. If you just say character X goes off and does Z, the players may cry foul and argue "they would not do that". I actually used news flashes, rumors, and such to get the word out of changes... (i've used that format - news broadcasts - in many of my sci-fi games)...

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Its a pain in the rear, I do not recommend it.

I currently run an infinities Dark Times campaign one where the Empire is ruled by Emperor Vader, so obviously there is no slavery under Vader's rule and it has been difficult with coming up with ways to present the Empire as evil.

I say, leave well enough alone. It is a BIG galaxy, there is much more out there to explore!

Dytrrnikl
06-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I've done it, and while very entertaining, I do not recommend doing it lightly. The story is magnificent as is, and as Tremayne said,
It is a BIG galaxy, there is much more out there to explore!

Take a note of Michael Stackpole, he found a way to influence the Expanded Star Wars Universe through the X-Wing series of books with Wedge. Timothy Zahn did it in a ho-hum fashion with the Thrawn Trilogy (everyone was raving about that series saying how great it was...for me, this is the worst EU Star Wars series, but I digress). Ultimately, there are plenty of ways to make Star Wars your own...it is a BIG galaxy.

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I've done it, and while very entertaining, I do not recommend doing it lightly. The story is magnificent as is, and as Tremayne said,

Take a note of Michael Stackpole, he found a way to influence the Expanded Star Wars Universe through the X-Wing series of books with Wedge. Timothy Zahn did it in a ho-hum fashion with the Thrawn Trilogy (everyone was raving about that series saying how great it was...for me, this is the worst EU Star Wars series, but I digress). Ultimately, there are plenty of ways to make Star Wars your own...it is a BIG galaxy.

I'm with you on the Thrawn Trilogy. While I like it, I don't think it is as great as what everyone thinks. If based purely on an EU story that was truly revolutionary and actually added new ideas to the mythos, that would have to be the Tales of the Jedi. But I digress...

I think allowing the PCs to alter the established cannon, specifically events that happen in the films, is a difficult move. Mostly because it has such a tremendous impact on the Galaxy as a whole.

Also, if the PCs are taking the initiative and trying to upset the balance of the movies then either the current story isn't engaging enough or the GM is letting them do it.

Grazak
06-14-2009, 09:51 PM
I find as a GM one of my favorite things to do is to run my campaign inside the Canon and only give my characters a little taste of the big story. Things that happen "offscreen" in the movies and books are the perfect things to be used in campaigns.

I once put a group of PC's in a dogfight on the same side as the Millenium Falcon. What they did couldn't effect whether the Falcon survived the battle on my end but it sure made them happy to think they saved Han's backside ;)

korhal23
06-14-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm right with Grazak on this one. One of the best fodders for games in established universes I've found is the deus ex machina... when the things just fell into place for the canonical heroes, it was your heroes who made that happen. I find it best to weave players in and out of the canon... absolutely sundering the canon means that you might as well not have been playing in that universe to begin with.

mjungledog
06-15-2009, 09:41 PM
I agree with Grazak and Korhal23. It's the way I handle it when my group games in the Star Wars and Star Trek universes.

However, the universe is yours to do what you will. If the group as a whole is OK with changing the canon of a campaign universe, then by all means go for it. It can be fun and very rewarding, if done with some care and forethought.

So I guess my message is this: Have fun, because it's your game.