PDA

View Full Version : The New Star Trek film, like it or hate it, has definitely injected new life into the old franchise. How does this community feel about it?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Another thought-provoking, debate-encouraging, genius-level synaptically sparked thread brought to you by templeorder, found on these boards.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The New Star Trek film, like it or hate it, has definitely injected new life into the old franchise. How does this community feel about it?

What say you - boldly vote where no one has voted before?

BrotherDog
05-21-2009, 03:24 AM
I like the way he did it all. Plus it opens the ptoential of retelling the original series in this alternate timeline without having to be enslaved at many point s to Vulcan. Perhaps, maybe Andorians will finally get some much deserved limelight.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-21-2009, 09:57 AM
I couldn't agree more, BrotherDog. I am also hoping they keep this cast of characters and put out a movie every year or two.

templeorder
05-21-2009, 10:12 AM
I felt it was over-hyped. It lacked something for me, but i sure see the potential.. and yes, as an alternate reality they can both leverage the cultural icon status AND depart from strict cannon. I have really high hopes for the next one... the characters were the best part of the movie, i really enjoyed that... the plot... meh.

Valdar
05-21-2009, 01:26 PM
I can't see why they wouldn't make a sequel. The cast is signed on for two sequels, and the film's reviews even beat out Iron Man if rottentomatoes.com can be believed.

Dytrrnikl
05-21-2009, 01:50 PM
I liked that the new cast stayed true to what the original stars did with the characters. The biggest changes I saw, were a much more conflicted Spock - particularly opening up a can of whoop-ass as a child and then again when Kirk pushed the right button on the bridge of the Enterprise. Then, of course, there was Chris Pine's portrayal of Kirk. A lot more rebellious, a bit more full of himself. In both cases, the changes made sense. Overall, I believe this movie will reinvigorate the Franchise. I'd like to see Paramount do a rework of the original series with the current alternate Timeline and crew, and then punctuate the series with a movie every couple of years. Or just have Paramount release another Star Trek series...it'd be light years better than all of the brain rotting, mind-numbing, slack-jawed inducing reality TV that's out there and would completely crush that travesty of a show Legend of the Seeker.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-21-2009, 02:29 PM
I can't see why they wouldn't make a sequel. The cast is signed on for two sequels, and the film's reviews even beat out Iron Man if rottentomatoes.com can be believed.
That's excellent news, Valdar. Thanks for pointing that out.

mrken
05-21-2009, 08:18 PM
With my wife out of town this weekend I took my daughter to see it. After all she is the next generation of trek fandom.

In my opinion it was a good movie, and a good Trek movie. There is nothing wrong with moving the story line over to a new time line. Like others have said it breaks free from the past and opens up a whole new horizon of opportunities.

As for the movie I thought the acting was good to much better than good. The script was for the most part good with a few stupid lines. I thought the cinematography was for the most part, the lens flare was annoying but I was prepared for it thanks to some of you. Over all, I would have to say this one was a keeper. Better than some of the other ones. Think we will add it to our Trek collection when it hits DVD.

1958Fury
05-21-2009, 10:43 PM
It was an awesomely awesome bunch of awesomeness with awesome sauce.

BrotherDog
05-22-2009, 02:36 AM

You didn't like it, then? Tell us how you really feel.
;;D

kirksmithicus
05-22-2009, 01:48 PM
LMAO

I liked, but not as much as you I think. In general, I think most people thought it was really good. Even the grumpy old Trekkie my wife works with thought it was good.