PDA

View Full Version : Gamma World: What do you think?

Moritz
05-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Personally, I hated it. But I was curious what people thought about the genre and potential gaming fu involved.

templeorder
05-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Wow, this is a serious throw-back. All i have left is some old gamma world modules and notes listing a few dragon magazine gamma world articles. It was a cool setting i thought, if a bit cheesy on the equipment side. Post-apocalyptic settings are ok, they do not hold a lot of appeal for me (though i enjoyed Cyberpunk a lot - i live in Seattle, lots of local references). The setting is actually really cool - a blend of fantasy and sci-fi. Mutants, AI all sort of cool things you would expect. The entire world has not really been totally built out - leaving GM's a lot of room to fill in the balnks. The games we ran in that world were very cheesy, but looking back the setting seems like it would be a really fun world to drop players into. Not being a big fan 3+ DnD and the D20 system overall, i know the've brought it up to date, but i'm not sure the results.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-19-2009, 09:44 AM
I love/d Gamma World, and even today, incorporate some elements into my Traveller campaigns. It's great fun for kids but i would suggested tightening up the rules a bit for the older players.

Deadone
05-19-2009, 12:09 PM
It was the first rpg I played and fell in love with it. Dark taught me the game after school in one session I was hooked. It is a simple game but with so much potential.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I played Gamma World at the last Con I attended. Brought back great memories.

darelf
05-19-2009, 02:04 PM
My thoughts on Gamma World do not mesh with those of normal humans. I enjoyed the edition that apparently everyone hated. With the colorful chart for resolution.

I think it reminded me of MSH, with it's color-coded chart. In high school we played the hell out of both MSH and Gamma World ( 3rd edition? ).

So, if your brainwaves even approximate those of other "normal" rpg aficionados, then you will not like it. If, however, you (like me) had a slightly overweight friend with the two-toe ninja boots, and boris valejo art books... then maybe you are insane enough to enjoy that edition of Gamma World. Otherwise, get the d20 version.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I haven't heard good things about Darwin's World, but admittedly, i have never played it. Anyone have any play experience with this one?

drewshi
05-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I recently looked over the rules of the most recent edition and I wasn't impressed. I did love to play the original set and wish I could find a copy of it. In my current D&D campaign I am ripping of the British sci-fi show, Primeval, by having temporal rifts appear from time to time and affect the characters. I want to get a hold of the old rules as I'd like to do something where the future version of my realm is a Gamma World setting.

mjungledog
05-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I played it way back in the dark ages...

I tried to get my hands on the update but I was a little late. Maybe sometime in the future.

Thelrain
06-06-2009, 12:58 AM
I'd actually like to run a Gamma World campaign again. I have all editions and I'm working on blending all versions into the D20 options out there ( Modern/Future/Omega). I prefer the story over the rules but it needs to blend nicely. Anyone who is interested let me know and maybe a group can form.

Webhead
06-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Two words: photon grenade!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Harwel
06-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Man, I remember the original Gamma World. It was the second RPG I played (D&D basic set, Gamma World, RuneQuest in that order). I liked it, but these days I'd probably use BRP or GURPS for that kind of setting.

Thelrain, if you start something up PBP or using maptools or something, I'd be up for it.

tesral
06-11-2009, 09:17 PM
The older version is all I am familiar with. Too freaking deadly for my tastes. If I'm going through PCs that fast Paranoia gives you six.

I cannot speak for the later editions, but the rad table in 1st was a "dead PC table"

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-11-2009, 11:00 PM
What i remember most about the early edition was how it made us kids bloodthirsty murderers in the game. One could not play that game and have any cares for life. It was about survival, and even if a family with children got in the way, you would wipe them off the planet to get whatever food or weapons they had. Oh yeah, completely bloody Road Warrior type stuff.

wizarddog
06-12-2009, 02:24 AM
I have played all the 3 editions by TSR for Gamma world. My brother loved the game.

1e was basically no class, all your Hitpoints (d6 per point of CON), and based on what weapon you used. It tended to have that deadly mix with certain mutations. It was barebones in the box and left you to create other things for it.

Problem was it became more of a artifact collection game. Whoever had the most technology, wins. Battles took forever as you wittled creatures down foes with 75 hp with you d8 sword or 5d6 laser psitol.

2e Introduced a great setting and some adventures but nerfed alot of the powers. It also became obsesed with rank, which had to do with your standing in society and tech level which stated what kind of technology world you came from. It had better illustrations and was quite balanced. But still you lacked any sort of PC advancement.

Where as 1e gave the impression much of the old technology was destroyed, 2e had too much technology and civilzation left.

3e was a mess. Some great adventures were written for it but the game was lacking several pieces of information when realsed (had a free update to cover them.) The Chart system was new (implemented in the new version of Top Secret). One of the intresting features was that on the system, a sword could be as deadly as a laser gun in certain cases. But just like the previous versions, it lacked a class system and an incentive to really advance. With so many loop holes in the system it became difficult to interpret the rules. 3e had some intresting concepts like technology that was more organic.

4e or the d20 version, just by looking at it was sort of a "why?" It nerfed the mutations to a point where they did little in the game. It looked more like a d20 modern than an holocaust survival game.

What Gamma World (1,2 and 3) needed was an incentive to keep playing. You could do a game of Gamma World and it could be a blast, but without any real benifit from experience and continue play, you lose out on some fundamental reasons to play roleplaying games, PC improvement.

D20 could have done justice to GammaWorld, but it did not with what was published in it's name.

Skunkape
06-12-2009, 11:34 AM
I run the setting from time to time, but really don't care for the rules. I have similar feelings for the DnD rules, but most people know the system and there is more interest for DnD than GW.

Course, I'll be changing the rule system from DnD to BRP for the next fantasy campaign I run. I'd do the same with GW, use BRP for it, if I ran it again.

In fact, my past GW campaigns tend to come up in discussion when ever I get together with members of my old gaming group, some 20 odd years later.:)

Dark
06-12-2009, 06:03 PM
To me my favorite is and always shall be the orginal Gamma World it is a close second to Basic D&D. Just thinking about it makes me want to head up stairs and dust it off.

http://www.hierax.com/hero/star/gamma/gamacovr.jpg

Harwel
06-12-2009, 06:34 PM
To me my favorite is and always shall be the orginal Gamma World it is a close second to Basic D&D. Just thinking about it makes me want to head up stairs and dust it off.

http://www.hierax.com/hero/star/gamma/gamacovr.jpg

Meeeeemorieeeees....
--- Merged from Double Post ---

I run the setting from time to time, but really don't care for the rules. I have similar feelings for the DnD rules, but most people know the system and there is more interest for DnD than GW.

Course, I'll be changing the rule system from DnD to BRP for the next fantasy campaign I run. I'd do the same with GW, use BRP for it, if I ran it again.

In fact, my past GW campaigns tend to come up in discussion when ever I get together with members of my old gaming group, some 20 odd years later.:)

GW with BRP sounds like high potential for carnage. :laser:

Thelrain
06-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Wizarddog I think you are blending 2 systems into one. 4th Edition GW came out in 92. D&D 3.0 didn't come out until 2000. Yet the 4E Gamma World had already set the ground for the D20 system. The D20 version of GW ( which would actually be the 6th version) came out in 2004. The 4edition GW in the 90's actually set the groundwork for the D20 system now with Ac's heading up instead of negative. You had the introduction of skill checks w/ skill points. Heck even the mutations had a skill level to them. This was by far the best rule-set for Gamma world. The setting took a more whimsical/silly approach imo however and it just didn't seem to have that 'dark-future' appeal. It seemed very cartoonsih or comic-book style. I like my futuristic games to be a little more gritty.

The D20 version put out covered a lot of the technological areas better but at the cost of mutation depth. It became a little more civilised and the setting seemed to remind me of RIFTS.

I really like a blend of everything from these rule sets. Each has their benefits and downfalls. 3E didn't

wizarddog
06-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Wizarddog I think you are blending 2 systems into one. 4th Edition GW came out in 92. D&D 3.0 didn't come out until 2000. Yet the 4E Gamma World had already set the ground for the D20 system. The D20 version of GW ( which would actually be the 6th version) came out in 2004. The 4edition GW in the 90's actually set the groundwork for the D20 system now with Ac's heading up instead of negative.

Now that I think about it, the d20 system I did see in the bargin bin did say 6th edition of sorts. So you are correct, I am mixing up the later editions. The only ones I am familar with are 1e,2e, and 3e with the same issues as I stated. The 2004 system did not look all that appealing.

Now, if I wanted to play in such a campaign world would probably use d20 modern/future with psionics.

Skunkape
06-15-2009, 07:11 AM
GW with BRP sounds like high potential for carnage. :laser:

Mmmmm, yes!:laugh:

Webhead
06-15-2009, 06:42 PM
To perhaps clarify for those not in-the-know when it comes to Gamma World and its many editions, here's a bit of a breakdown:

Gamma World 1st Edition (TSR, 1978; unique rules loosely based on D&D)

Gamma World 2nd Edition (TSR, 1983; unique rules changed from 1st Ed.)

Gamma World 3rd Edition (TSR, 1985; used a version of TSR's FASERIP system popularized by the Marvel Super Heroes RPG)

Gamma World 4th Edition (TSR, 1992; unique system returning to more D&D-like mechanics)

Gamma World 5th Edition (WotC, 2000; used the Alternity rules system)

Gamma World 6th Edition (White Wolf/Sword & Sorcery Studios, 2003; used the d20 Modern game system)

There was also a very well done mini-homage to Gamma World written by Jonathan Tweet for Polyhedron Magazine that appeared in issue # 153 in 2002. It was called Omega World and it was a mini-supplement for the d20 System with stats for Gamma World monsters as well as character creation rules, rules on mutations, relic items and new skills and feats.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Very cool information, Webhead. Thank you.

John L
06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
I played gamma world when it first came out with my nephews and friends, we played a Thundarr the barbarian rip off game complete with Moks like Ukla. It was a blast. It gave us a change up from dnd and when I did my cross worlds of the infinite universe campaign the kids ate it up. You take the best of what you have and add your own spin to it and your players will love the game. Just my thoughts and fond memories JohnL

Skunkape
06-16-2009, 09:32 AM
To perhaps clarify for those not in-the-know when it comes to Gamma World and its many editions, here's a bit of a breakdown:

The only edition I don't have is 5th.:laugh: