PDA

View Full Version : Canal for Beckenhausen

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Just read do not reply to anything yet, please.
As Lord of Beckenhausen I am working on a canal outside Beckenhausen for defense aganist the undead. Here is what I wrote for the plan do far.

Originally Posted by Manimal6
I want to place the canal 5-7 mile out to the east from where the edge of town is now. This is for expansion room for refuges into a safer zone. Since it is a bit out from the town proper there will need to be a baracks of sorts for the guards. I want bunkers and/or archer towers every 100 yards??? 100 yards so they can support each others fire. There also will need to be patrols behind the line in case of infiltration. I think they will also need to be towers/patrols/bunkers on the rest of the waterways at the border. There will only be one bride coming across the canal, this will be fortified and with it's own garrison.
The canal itself will need to be deep enough where it can't be forded. It also in essential that it the water is flowing. The western shore (our side) with have defensive positions natural and man-made. The east will be flattened and nothing will grow to conceal approaching foes.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Please note that this conversation took place at night at Beckenhausen before departing for Baronsdoom.
[roll=1d20+8]Philip Gregor ponders the idea of building a defensive canal[\roll]

Of course, milord, it has been tried before. But no one was ever successful. We, of course could do it. I see no reason why it would not work. The dark folk always stopped it before. But now that they have no organizational hierarchy, I do not think we need worry about that.

Perhaps, and this is only a suggestion, it should cut at angles? Could this be beneficial?

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Angles would be beneficial, yes. For better fields of fire and defensive lines?
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Workers need to be found. As do armsmen.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Send riders. More specifically groups of riders to towns and cities announcing such a project? Posting pay?
\./\./\./\./\./\./\./\./\./\./\./\./\./
meaning towers on the points towards Beckenhausen?

Or/'\/'\/'\/'\/'\/'\/'\/'\/'\/'\/'\/'\/'\/'\/'\
Meaning towers on the points away from Beckenhausen?

Benefits/dangers of one over the other?

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Standard price: 1cp and 5tp/day for laborer. 3cp/day for skilled laborer. 5cp/day for foreman. 1sp/day for engineers/wizards/clerics. spell will be payed for per sucessful and useful cast.
I think having the towers a bit further back from the canal would be best. This allows for additional defensive troops of equipment to be set up. And it would be a further reach of those attacking from the other side. Other than that I don't see the benefit of one over the other.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 08:02 PM
let me check
A laborer will make 1 kunfermar and 5 halkunfernmar
If it were to be angled? What are the advantages?

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Post for pricing fixed up above....

Angles would allow for better cross fire from towers. On the down side would it allow the enemy for approaches to attack from? This is one reason I want spearmen as well as archers in the towers, so if the enemy is at the base of the tower it can still be defended.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Alas, if you set them out in the point of the canals, still behind the canals from the wild, then you would have the advantage of nearly 270 degrees of fire. This would not be well, however if, upon arrival, the attackers chose to attack only right on the tower.
Therefore, I say, set them on the points pointing at Beckenhausen.
Nate...create a poster that you can have posted in town squares and guild halls
Be specific on what kind of skilled laborers you want.

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Alright. Towers out of stone or wood? Or a combination of the two? Archers at the top with spearmen through out? Arrow/Spear slots throughout the structures?

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 08:45 PM
You should probably say something about what kind of worshipers can apply. Milord, you should also probably hire some more men-at-arms.
Temporary towers out of wood and then stone as they can be completed.
You will need towers and barracks to defend the construction project.
Archers at the top with ballista and catapults and such. (remember, Nate, there are rules for steam-powered weapons on farlandworld.com/index3.html)

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 08:49 PM
I remember the steam power rules, but thought they were hard to get and expensive to make and needed Dwarves to make them.
So we need to increase men at arms before construction begins. Obviously we cannot build at night, so workers need to stay in barracks at night, newly built and no one gets invited into.

Jobs available
Who:Lord ely van furst
Where: Bekcenhausen
What: canal/defense building
Laborers: 1 kunfermar and 5 Halnkunfermar per day
Skilled laborers: 3 kunfermar per day
Positions desired: dry dock builders, carpenters, stone masons
Foremen: 5 kunfermar per day
Engineers: 1 silvermar per day
Wizards/clerics of Kantor and thranton: 1 silvermar per day plus spell pay

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Houses with 4-8 per house, inside a wall, milord, not barracks. Two reasons:
You can recruit higher quality soldiers with houses. And the big reason.
Houses are private residences, barracks are not.
-nate, Chris is reading this...ask Rana or Wilhelm a question...get him involved-

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Anyone have anything else to add? Other insight would be great...
This will also cost more money for houses. But I would rather have quality of quanity for soldiers. The more money would be worth it in the end.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 09:04 PM
---out of game---
Anybody know of a site that lists costs of living...such as housing upkeep, house to build cost...stuff like that?

Panthro82
05-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Rana: I would suggest if you are building the guard towers on the outside of the canals that you might want to dig up pits in the area in front of the guard towers, stretching all the way to the woods. Fill the pits with sharpened spikes. In the day have a team scout the pits to kill any undead still within them and to cover them up again.

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree, defensive positions should be prepared on the opposite side of the canal.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Philip - The towers shall be inside the canal works.
Milord, I have just been told by one of our clerks that it would cost approximately 42 silkermars to build a house large enough for 8 men to sleep, eat and live in. This work would last 5 days and includes the labor and supervision as well labor and supervision for obtaining the wood and the drawing up of plans that might change depending on the lay of the land.
The seven men-at-arms plus their sergeant can guard each construction site during it's construction.
And, Milord...what of the caveat that all workers must worship one of the good pantheon?

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 09:21 PM
How will we keep the coffers full during this massive project? By my books we have 910 sp with 21,923sp in assets. We only bring in 10sp. I can give you my money. I have 382sp, 142cp, and 16gp.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Milord, why are the towers outside of the canal? Maybe have some. But all of them? Even most of them? I do not think this is wise.
The canal may be our men's best line of defense.

Panthro82
05-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Rana: I would still suggest pits in the areas leading up to the canal that are not travelled by townsfolk. This way also if they bring a weapon strong enough to attack the guard towers (catapult, heleopolis) they will run into issues due to the pits.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Agreed. Wise Elhan, must it wound you so to speak of destroying the trees like this?

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 09:24 PM
No guard towers on the outside of the canal. Defensive works that will bring the enemy where we want to on the outside. No manned positions on the other side of the canals.

Panthro82
05-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Rana: It is not something I love doing, (destroying trees), but I figure it is for the greater good. If we take as much land from evil forces as possible, there is more land Elhil can rebuild. Plus the trees play their part in this too. They want a land united in peace and love. They want to help in any way possible to help the Elhil prosper and to vanquish the evil that has plagued this world for far too long..

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Yes ma'am.
Sir.
I must be tired. I apologize sir.
----as DM----

What kind of defensive works?

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Think nothing of it. I know the weight I place upon your shoulders brave Philip. Your service does not go unnoticed or unapriciated (i can't spell).

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks and kindness, Milord.

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Positions that will funnel the enemy into field of fire. Any suggestions guys?

Panthro82
05-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Rana(to Ely in a whisper): I have reason to believe that this man is lying to you. Perhaps he is one of the eyes and ears Commander Chobry spoke of.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 09:39 PM
greased palasides angled in such a way as to funnel theenemy and obliquely face the towers, thereby offering no shelter, only detterence.
DM-
The canal will stretch at least 30 miles. Longer when you consider the cutbacks...45-50?

Housing complexes every 3 miles? Or individual houses at the base of the towers? Philip pipes in for housing complexes.

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Sounds good. Should our side of the canal be raised?

Panthro82
05-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Rana: we could simply have the excess water from the canal angled out on both sides, thus creating a border of mud and slick footing. They would then travel inside those areas, which would be right in line with your towers.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Philip - The nurion must go somewhere.
I vote 3 parts in 4 go on our side and 1 part in 4 be placed on the other side, creating one last obstacle before they encounter the canal.

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Nurion?

Panthro82
05-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Rana: Are you speaking to me Philip?

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 09:50 PM
As Nate: Nurion? What is that?

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-16-2009, 09:51 PM
---out of game---
Earth is to Nurion as earth is to nurion.
nurion=turf, dirt, earth, terra firma, soil

Manimal6
05-16-2009, 09:53 PM
I add me vote. 3 of 4 on our side. 1 of 4 on other side.

Panthro82
05-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Rana(whispering to Ely quietly): Philip lied to you when he said it was a mistake that he called you m'lady. I have never seen him more awake in my life. There is something in his eyes. Be cautious of just going along with his suggestions even if they seem the best choice

Manimal6
05-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Ely eyes Rana coldly 'I will not be dragged into more conspiracies.'

Panthro82
05-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Rana: Believe what you must, I am only trying to warn you...
(Walks over to Philip)
Philip, what made you refer to Ely as a lady? Seeing as how your pupils are fully dilated you are far from sleep at the moment. That excitement must come from somewhere. And people who are tired, or are on the verge of sleeping never have dilated pupils such as yours are.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Philip ignores Rana.

Milord?

Manimal6
05-17-2009, 10:24 PM
If you have nothing else for me, Philip than you can carry on your duties.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Milord.

A slight bow and he leaves.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-20-2009, 01:52 PM
As DM -
Are we done here?

Panthro82
05-20-2009, 02:54 PM
I thought Ely was going to say something...

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Nate's a tool, though

Panthro82
05-20-2009, 03:10 PM
yea paladins usually are

Manimal6
05-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Done.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-21-2009, 09:32 AM
OK...
Nate...can you have some sort of drawing for me.

And example of a bridge defense. And an example of a tower and an example of a housing compound. Maybe a training regimen?

Manimal6
05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I will see what my limited artistic talent can produce...

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Download Auto Realm...or you already did, didn't you?