PDA

View Full Version : Mage: The Ideas Thread

MortonStromgal
05-15-2009, 01:03 PM
So I'm contemplating taking a crack at running Mage in the near future. I want to start the PCs out as human and have them go through their awakening. I'm looking for good ideas oWOD or nWOD (heck even dark ages). I can always adapt them :cool:

GoddessGood
05-15-2009, 03:04 PM
What sort of ideas are you looking for? Baddies? Plot threads? Macguffins to go in search of?

MortonStromgal
05-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Pretty much anything, my mage foo is weak.

Dimthar
05-15-2009, 11:22 PM
OK - Old World of Darkness

For New Characters, Low Level, I think the Ascension War Theme is too "Idealistic" to be the central part of their world.

How They Know Each Other:
They all are from this Small Town/City

How They Became Mages:
DESTINY - Chosen Ones (Perhaps all of them were born on the same day)
After High School they left each to follow their own paths and in that journey they found their Mentors & Magick: Peace Corps (Akashic Brotherhood), College (Virtual Adept / Son of Ether), Divorced living somewhere else Daddy's Secret Society (Order of Hermes), Musician (Cult of Ecstasy), You Name it ....

Why They Are Together:
They chose to meet again in a "special day",

Plot
A Biker Gang attacked their town, when they arrive for their reunion, part of the Gang is still there and during the battle is how they find each others powers. The rest of the Gang kidnapped someone's girlfriends or sisters (To sell them). They track the Gang to a Big City, and realize that are part of an organization (Drug Dealers, Slave Traders, Corrupt Politicians, etc) too big to take it down in one strike.

So they start doing vigilante / detective work "a la" Catch a Predator or Batman . That will put them at odds with the Police.

Is until their actions start to be noticed by the Crime Underworld Masters (Vampires, Demons, Kingpins, Congressman) that the real threats start.

Is "World of Darkness" so add some Tragedy when rescuing/finding one of the girls (not all of course, you need happy endings too) like one is a Drug Addict or the very last one was turned into a Vampire.

In the process they may attract other enemies (Technocracy) or Allies (Local Cabal).

Like GG, I love the "Border Environment" so San Diego / Los Angeles sounds like a good place to be. See Borderland Movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452592/)

Personally I prefer the 80's, technologically advanced enough to keep your Virtual Adept entertained.

Kaewin
06-05-2009, 09:23 AM
I like the nWoD Mage better so I would go with that. As a group of mortals they could witness a battle of Order Mages against the Seerer of the Throne. What they see could drive them one by one to awaken.

If thats not your style start them as Mortal who for one reason or another are investigating an occult style slayings. you could have them deal with cultists. The Scelesti legacy is good for this purpose. After the delve in part of their sould my resonate with the magic used and bring them to awaken. If you could get five players you might be able to do all five paths. Orders would have top be learned later.

OR let one player start as a mage and he is somehow aware that the others might turn soon and he gets there to help them along.

In a group where they all turn its best to keep them in the same order, less time can be put on the rigors of training into the order of their choice. I suggest Free Council as it is easier to meld into.(I'm a Mysterium person myself.)

Katbutt
06-10-2009, 08:41 AM
I love the Mage game I am playing. It is so awesome the gm is the best there is. <looks at Kaewin> Dad. do I get any xps for that?

Kaewin
07-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Wow praise and suck up in the same few words.

My metaplot will end soon, but the groups are taking a break for a few weeks with other stuff.