PDA

View Full Version : What book/s secured your interest in reading?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
What book/s secured your interest in reading?

Sure, I've read books when i was young... when i was made to read. But the book that secured my interest in reading, and I've never looked back, was the Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever series, by Stephan R. Donaldson. Specifically, Lord Foul's Bane.

I remember staying up all night reading these books before going to do my paper route, delivering the Washington Post. A very cool job for a kid in the early 80's, but i digress.

My parents, completely pleased that i actually liked reading, purchased me a few Conan novels, written by R.E. Howard, to encourage this newfound interest. Fantasy, coupled with rpgs, made me into the Lich i am today. :cool:

What share you?

Windstar
05-12-2009, 04:17 PM
My first book that really got me into sci-fantasy was the Earthsea Trilogy, by Ursula LeGuin.

:cool::cool:

I was 9 years old, haven't stopped reading since.

:biggrin::biggrin:

GoddessGood
05-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I have always loved reading and writing. Reading was something I was good at and was regularly rewarded for. I taught myself to read with Mercer Mayer books and when in the 2nd grade won a prize for a summer reading contest. I read more pages than any two 5th graders at my school combined. I was taken to the top of the highest building in town and presented an award. Soon thereafter, I tried writing and had one of my creative short stories published in an anthology. I've also had a poem or two published. These two things are what really drew me to RPGs, because these were books that I wrote with my friends and I didn't even have to put them on paper. They lived in our imaginations and it didn't matter if we never got rewarded for it, because it was fun.

I still read from time to time, but I read slowly now. I read aloud, but silently if that makes any sense. I do the voices of different characters in my head and imagine every scene as though it were a movie. If it's a long series, sometimes I won't be able to bring myself to finish it because I want the characters to live on in my head so I can create new stories for them to participate in. I remember doing that as far back as 5 or 6, when I made up stories for the Thundercats and the 101 Dalmations.

So in short, there wasn't really any one book I could point to that cemented my love of reading. I will say though, that one of my favorite series of all were the Animorphs, by K.A. Applegate. I was addicted to them and they made me cry and laugh and hope like no other books I'd ever read. I doubt they'd be near as cool to me if I went back and read them again, so I won't. I like the memories :)

Sascha
05-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Probably E.B. White's work kicked off the romance with novels (Stuart Little is one I'll pick up again every few years; it's still a great read, plus I get to 'hear' Dr. House for Stuart's dad now, tee hee ^_^). For genre stuff, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy began a love for space travel, aliens, and tea ... in a literary sense.

MortonStromgal
05-12-2009, 05:13 PM
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court :D 5th grade

Grazak
05-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Jedi Search by Kevin J. Anderson

I was in the 5th grade and had just developed a heart condition that would end up keeping me from being able to elevate my heart rate for about 6 months without risking death. I learned to read in pre-school and read the Hobbit with my mom when I was in 2nd grade or so but it wasn't until I got sick and my mom bought me my first Star Wars novel that I truly fell in love with books.

In the 12 or so years since then I am sure I have read well over 200 novels and I now work in a university library and am working on my Masters in Library Science. So I blame my mom for everything :p

Oldgamer
05-12-2009, 05:24 PM
My parents, completely pleased that i actually liked reading, purchased me a few Conan novels, written by R.E. Howard, to encourage this newfound interest. Fantasy, coupled with rpgs, made me into the Lich i am today. :cool:

What share you?

I'd have never thunk you a R.E. Howard fan :laugh:

Dragonlance caught my attention when I was a wee lad of 10 or so. I'd begun playing D&D with a friend, the first module was DL1 which turned out to be the module that began the story. I found out from him that there was a book out and I was hooked with the first one, and as they came out, I bought and continued reading them for about 15-20 years, stopping when the 2nd Generation hit; I wasn't interested in the Companions kids.

jade von delioch
05-12-2009, 07:02 PM
i Just finished the newest book to the Dresden Files, which as great! Not as good as the other books, but filled with a lot of great stuff none the least.

Webhead
05-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I've been reading since before I can remember but my earliest memories were of anything by Dr. Seuss, Curious George and The Berenstain Bears.

A bit later on, I got hooked on a couple of different books including the Encyclopedia Brown series which I devoured feverishly.

I suppose the first proper "adult novel" that I read was The Hobbit and it remains one of my all-time favorite novels to this day. Even the much-lauded Lord of the Rings Trilogy doesn't enthrall me quite as much as the miraculous first adventure of one Bilbo Baggins.

Sascha
05-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Oooh, Encyclopedia Brown~! I forgot about those books, hehe; lots of grades 4 and 5 spent reading them.

jade von delioch
05-12-2009, 10:35 PM
So i forgot to mention my first book(s). So i really got started in reading with comic books- spiderman and dick tracy. However, the first non-illustrated stories i read were the chronicles of Narnia.

mrken
05-12-2009, 11:36 PM
In about fourth grade I used to have to walk past the library on my way home. so I had my mother sign for a library card and I would get a different book every day on my way home from school. Then in seventh grade we moved two blocks away from a library. I started to almost live there.

In the beginning I think it was the travel books I enjoyed the most. We used to go on vacations every year and spend the two weeks in a different place. I have been to every state in the U.S. but Florida and Alaska. I always wanted to go to Europe but did get a chance to live in Japan for a year and a half which was totally cool.

The title I first remember reading was Guadalcanal Dairy. It was a book about the opening days of World War Two for the United States. I don't know why I read that book. But I did get interested in that time period because my dad was a soldier then.

nijineko
05-12-2009, 11:40 PM
i was raised on reading, first by being read to constantly, eventually adding reading on my own. i didn't know that there was another way of life for many years.

BrotherDog
05-13-2009, 04:09 AM
When I was a wee one, I would ocassionally read the Dictionary when I was bored. Then in early Jr.High, I read the Hobbit and then the Ring Trilogy. I really didn't start reading for enjoyment that much though until after reading Dune and then the Hitchhiker's Guide Trilogy my freshman year.

Panthro82
05-13-2009, 04:33 PM
umm I think the Hobbit was the first actual book I read that I completely became engrossed in. I was like 9. I then further got into books with Stephen Kings stuff, Pet Cemetary, Cujo, e.t.c (I was a very advanced reader, yes I was reading these books at 10 years old!) Then it was Lord Of The Flies, Farenheit 451, LOTR trilogy.

Freejack
05-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Probably the first book I can recall is Andre Norton's Starman's Son. My mom was a reader. Dad was an intellectual. Listened to news radio and read knowledge books. No entertainment.

I still the book from the early 60's. A neighbor had me start reading The Hobbit (Daniel Brown). He has brother Leslie Brown and sister Donna Brown. Donna was a girl I picked on in school. I was approached by a teacher who asked me to try and be nice to her. I really came to like her (first crush) and she was the first girl I kissed :)

Ah memories :D

I have a majority of the books I've bought over the years despite my wife trying to get rid of them periodically. Instead we bought a bigger house :)

Carl

Dytrrnikl
05-14-2009, 10:45 AM
For me it was The Hobbit. It was the first book I ever read without any assistance from anyone else. It was right about the time that Star Wars was rereleased in the theaters '79 I think. I was 6 and in 2nd grade at the time. It also gave me a love of fantasy in general. I don't read books more than once, as the whole thing comes flooding back to me after I read the first couple of paragraphs, causing me to lose a desire to read whatever book I am trying to read for a second time. Not so with The Hobbit. I've lost track of the how many times I've read it, and still feel the same child-like joy I did the first time I read it. As far as I'm concerned, it's a much more entertaining read than the Harry Potter series, which I enjoyed immensely.

Panthro82
05-14-2009, 12:12 PM
For me it was The Hobbit. It was the first book I ever read without any assistance from anyone else. It was right about the time that Star Wars was rereleased in the theaters '79 I think. I was 6 and in 2nd grade at the time. It also gave me a love of fantasy in general. I don't read books more than once, as the whole thing comes flooding back to me after I read the first couple of paragraphs, causing me to lose a desire to read whatever book I am trying to read for a second time. Not so with The Hobbit. I've lost track of the how many times I've read it, and still feel the same child-like joy I did the first time I read it. As far as I'm concerned, it's a much more entertaining read than the Harry Potter series, which I enjoyed immensely.

Agreed. I thought I was the only person who was like this. I can read a book once and years later can recall it better than people who have read it 2 or 3 times since the 1 time I read it! I've only read the Hobbit once, but I have been planning on reading it again soon, because I remember loving that book so much. I still remember most of it but Tolkien spun words so beautifully in that book.

Dimthar
05-14-2009, 12:37 PM
First Complete Book that I remember reading (not illustrated, not a short version of the original) was:

Neverending Story

Freejack
05-15-2009, 10:03 PM
One of the reasons I have so many books is that I can also relive the story in the book. It's how I can tell when it's time to read it again. When I look at the spine of a book, I "see" it all again. When it starts to fade, I read the book again :)

Carl