PDA

View Full Version : Irrational, Illogical Fears, We All Have Them, ...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Irrational, Illogical Fears, We All Have Them. Some of us know without a doubt our fears, others, may have to dig deep inside to find them.

I was lucky in that my fears were never on the surface, for i have no real fears. Unlucky for me, when digging deep, i found that i did have a fear. This fear wasn't against or about just one thing, but something greater, that being my own mortality. No, not the fear of dying or being killed, but leaving this life without having accomplished all that i want to accomplish before moving on. If i analyze it honestly, my true fear is not being in control of my own destiny. Which sucks, really.

One of my best friends has an irrational and illogical fear of clowns. I kid you not. Seems many folks have this fear. Others may fear water, snakes, heights, ...well, you get the picture.

So what are your fears in life?

Please share?

Oldgamer
05-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Mine is a fear of heights. I have not overcome it as often as I've tried. I suck it up though, sometimes just to prove to myself I control my fears and not the other way around.

I skydive.
I walk beams building bridges with only a tether line (lanyard) sometimes hundreds of feet in the air.

But I still get scared sh**less when getting up on those beams or getting into that jump plane ... and especially when shuffling up to the door to jump and seeing an open 14,000' void that I'm preparing to jump into.

General Patton put it nicely though:"All men are timid on entering any fight. Whether it is the first or the last fight, all of us are timid. Cowards are those who let their timidity get the better of their manhood."

"If you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do... the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."

Windstar
05-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I have been to mahatten 2 times during fleet week, I got off the ship, made a phone call from the pier and got right back on the ship.

Now as a truck driver, I use Interstate 287 and go around, I do not take any chances in getting across the GW.

I don't know why, I can drive in LA, Chicago, San Fran but I will not go anywhere near NYC.

:cool::cool:

GoddessGood
05-12-2009, 04:25 PM
I fear a number of things, most of them are of the psychological variety.

#1: The biggest one is failure. I'm afraid that no matter how hard I try or how prepared I am, that I will encounter something I cannot succeed at with any amount of preparation. Another facet of that is that my loved ones will be disappointed with me for failing. This where my occasional bouts of anal-retentiveness and control mania come from.

#2: I fear being alone and being left out, but not necessarily being by myself. I've had a lot of success in dealing with this fear as I become more confident and learn to ignore #1. This is in some way an extension of #1, because it entails me failing to be popular and win people over.

#3: I'm afraid to be wrong or seen as stupid. This is a learned behavior, and one I've had the most success with retraining myself, but it's still there to some degree. This is the reason I almost always preface my statements with "I think" or "I believe."

#4: Not a fear of heights, so much as a fear of falling. Being up high is ok, so long as I'm in some way restrained. In a strange way this relates to #1, because I'm more afraid that I will fail to keep my balance.

#5: Fear of invasion. From this I get my fear of bugs and gore. Bugs are icky, alien critters that invade my space, co-opt my resources and force me to resort to murder (in most cases) in order to restore my own sense of harmony. Also they crunch when you step on them. The kind of gore you see in movies really only disturbs me at the parts where the skin is being broken or someone is actively being dissected (having things taken out of them). My skin is my shield and it protects my organs. If someone else can break it so easily and take my visceral goodies, then I am not safe and that frightens me. This includes my fear of needles, because they break the skin.

Sascha
05-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Dogs - anything waist-high is too large and tends to make me uneasy; if barking, even friendly-like, I rapidly need to be elsewhere.

Grazak
05-12-2009, 05:23 PM
I have hardcore Arachnophobia. I will straight freak out. I have awoke in the middle of the night on a few occasions jumping out of my bed because I felt like a spider was on me. I always have to turn the light on and make sure I am safe.

jade von delioch
05-12-2009, 10:38 PM
So i think you should make it clear that the fear you are asking about is the more irrational type. I for one do not have any of those. I however, only have worries like for my daughter i worry if she was kidnapped. Not really a fear though, real fear is irrational.

Webhead
05-12-2009, 10:49 PM
I have a very distant and mild fear of suffocation. I don't like being trapped in very tight, enclosed spaces for fear of running out of air. That said, it has only ever came up one or twice in my life and the last time I remember such an incident was over 18 years ago. And I'm talking about "very" constrictive spaces. I am fine aboard submarines, in dark closets, etc. It only seems to be when the space is tight enough to restrict my ability to freely move my arms.

My brother once told me that he had a legitimate fear of a zombie-apocalypse happening. Yes, you read me right. As in Night of the Living Dead. I'm not sure how completely serious he was being at the time but I got the sense that there was at least a tiny shred of truth to it. Not a phobia you hear about very often.

kirksmithicus
05-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Bridges, but considering bridge collapses in the last few years, it does not seem all that irrational. I once stopped on the side of the road and made my wife drive over a bridge in Louisiana because it had no guard rails. Everything else I'm good with, snakes, spiders, heights, planes all of that stuff is no problem.

One of the strangest phobia's that I have ever seen, is a woman that I worked with, who was scared of balloons. So of course since we did not like her, we bought a bunch of balloons and taped them to the door where we were working to keep her out. :biggrin:

mrken
05-12-2009, 11:15 PM
A fear of heights is my biggest one. Not flying as I have flown in planes for I have flown a hundred thousand miles in planes of all types. What I am talking about is when I look out over the railing of a car park on the fifth floor, or looking out the window of the 28th floor of where I used to work. Leaning over on a ladder painting the house has never bothered me, but getting on the ladder to get off the roof has bothered me from time to time.

Another one, though related to the first is being caught in a fire on the 28th floor or something. Have always said I don't want to go higher than the 7th floor as that is how high the fire truck ladders can reach.

The last one is one I am mostly on top of. Can't say I am beating it as sometimes it still bothers me, but being in a large crown bothers me. I think it comes from moving every year in September as a kid. I was shy then. And moving to a new school every year would just put me in a state of anxiousness. Now days I am not really shy, maybe even a bit gregarious. But put me in a place with a hundred other people I have never met. Well, that makes me feel like leaving. Cons seem to be quite different.

nijineko
05-12-2009, 11:38 PM
i think my greatest fear is failing to live up to my potential.

Panthro82
05-12-2009, 11:54 PM
I have an honest fear of never meeting/being with a woman who is honest and doesn't sneak around. I tend to attract dirty girls. That one has been created through experience unfortunately...

I also have a massive fear of Bee's. Any bee at all. Wasps especially make me squee like a little girl. Its hilarious. I am 6'4 and built like a linebacker but a bee scares the living s%$t out of me.

Also someone posted on here that their bro has a fear of a zombie outbreak. I actually sometimes relish the thought of it happening. I know that is a horrible thought that I would regret hoping for if it did happen, but I am most calm and in control under the most extreme of pressure. Like time slows down in those situations for me. Whenever I played sports when I was younger I was always at my absolute best with two minutes left in the game, or in the last inning. I always used to joke with my ex that if a zombie outbreak were to happen, being near me would be the safest place in the world.

BrotherDog
05-13-2009, 04:27 AM
I do have a phobia, but would give anyhitng to have the fear rather than the rage. I'm claustrophobic and completely lose control of myself as rage takes over. This frightens me more than anything, havinf no say over what you're doing is a nightmare. I also have a psychatropic reaction to cigarette smoke, so avoid any area it is allowed. I don't want to have found out that I killed someone, even if they did deserve it. Mostly it's my bottled-up wrath that truly scares me.

Oldgamer
05-13-2009, 11:27 AM
I also have a massive fear of Bee's. Any bee at all. Wasps especially make me squee like a little girl. Its hilarious. I am 6'4 and built like a linebacker but a bee scares the living s%$t out of me.

Haha, I worked with a guy in the field that was built like a bear, over 6'2" and near 300 lbs, and he was deathly afraid of the same thing. It's hilarious to see such a big guy dance around and scream when a bee comes flying around him. One time I was getting into the truck on the passenger side when I felt something squirm under me. The other guy had just shut his door when I realized it was a bumble bee I sat on, you know ... the big fat scary ones? It squirmed up through my crotch and I swear the big guy was already out the door and half way down the road before the thing ever got airborne :D

Talmek
05-13-2009, 02:27 PM
My greatest fear is not for myself, but for my kids. I'm not really overprotective of them, but I'm always concerned about how they act and whether or not they'll be normal, be well-adjusted, etc.

Panthro82
05-13-2009, 02:33 PM
LOL! yep I saw a queen bumble bee on my porch a few days ago and I super walked back into the house and locked the door! My porch used to be infested with Wasps and every summer back then when I had to go out I would stand at the door looking out for the right moment to run full speed through and off the porch. (sometimes I would wait like 20 minutes at the door! If anyone were around me I would guess I was acting and talking exactly like Adrian Monk from the show Monk) I think part of it comes from never having been stung by a bee in my entire life. I have this fear that I will be and then I'll find out I'm allergic and I'll die or something. There have been a few times when a bee would fly into the house and I will not relax until I have killed it. I remember 1 time it took like 2 hours to kill the stupid thing!!

Dytrrnikl
05-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Arachnophobia...I hate spiders. I got bit just ove my left eye when I was 2 by some poisonous breed of spider. I can actually remembering what I was doing right up until the thing landed on my head after I dislodged it from the window it was crawling on. I almost died because of it. It's not an irrational fear, it's very well placed. I'm getting better. I used to completely freeze up - no breathing, no muscle twitch, no nothing. Then I used to just flee in stark raving terror, followed by sitting down and crying like a little baby. Now I jump if they see me before I see them. Daddy Long Leggers still give me the heeby-jeebies.

While there are other things that I would classify as giving me cause for concern there is nothing of which I am truly afraid. I figure when my number is up, there isn't a damn thing i can do about it, so I don't worry about it. That mindset has pretty much helped me get past the things that evoke fear...except for spiders, though I am getting better.