PDA

View Full Version : Spells Beyond The Book

Beaumont Sebos
05-11-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm creating an 8th level Wizard. I know how many spells he should have in his spell book based on his level according to the PH. But that doesn't take into account any spells that he may have picked up from other spell books, etc.

Anybody have any suggestions on how many extra spells he should have or how to determine said number?

tesral
05-11-2009, 08:45 PM
I have a general rule that a wizard can have twice as many spells in his book as he can cast a day. I am however more generous with spells cast per day.

templeorder
05-11-2009, 08:54 PM
As always, first ask the DM. However, as a DM, i will typically match starting spells to a character background. Take into account danger, weather, climate, terrain, and what might be needed to round out the party. If there's some specific spells that you want, maybe create a little background story of how you came about them... as a DM i am far more open when players put in effort. Otherwise, its so campaign dependant that any system is going to be as good as any other. I used to simply say twice the number you are allowed to cast, but that got me in trouble a lot and i try and tailor it to the game now.

Lucian-Sunaka
05-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Legally speaking, that does account for all the spells you would have acquired. Such spells are treasure, and the way that is handled is the price of scribing said spells into your spellbook, and at least half, but typically full (check with your DM) price of the scrolls of those spells, because the most reliable way to acquire additional spellbook spells is through the purchase and transfer of scrolls.

nijineko
05-13-2009, 04:18 PM
when starting a character at higher level, then you get only what the class description says.... however, if your dm also allows you to start off with the starting wealth of an 8th level character as laid out in the dmg, then you could use that money to purchase scrolls, and scribe it into your book. the starting wealth is supposed to account for everything you've acquired over the course of 'x' levels. not everyone is happy with that rate of progression, though. so check with your dm first. =D