PDA

View Full Version : Shade template or race?

Blue Phoenix
05-11-2009, 06:06 AM
is the shade as published in forgotten realms races of faerun a race or template.

if it is a race it doesn't have a prefered class listed.

and if it is a template then for example a human shade would have +4 lvl but has the extra feat and 4 skillpoint extra.

and if you'd be a drow shade you would have all the benefits for a drow and shade but have a lvl adjustment of +6?

BrotherDog
05-12-2009, 04:16 AM
Yes. It is a template, and all level adjustments apply.

templeorder
05-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Template for sure.

nijineko
05-12-2009, 11:49 PM
it is not a template. it is a created human sub-race. it is to a human as the various elvish sub-races in the monster manual are to the base elf race.

however, if you wished to lift it from its setting and context, you could certainly make it into a template with little effort.

BrotherDog
05-13-2009, 02:58 AM
it is not a template. it is a created human sub-race. it is to a human as the various elvish sub-races in the monster manual are to the base elf race.

however, if you wished to lift it from its setting and context, you could certainly make it into a template with little effort.

It seems you are thinking of Deep Imaskari. Every mention of Shade I have is a template and shews multiple examples, usually including a Dwarven one.

nijineko
05-13-2009, 10:45 PM
oh, i looked up the races of faerun text he mentioned. it only described a human one, and as a created race. hence my commentary. perhaps i did not find all the references from that book? in any case, what i read was a racial listing, but it is simplicity itself to convert it to a template, and as i mentioned, no reason not to.