PDA

View Full Version : 5k to spend on anything BUT magic Items!

The Dread Dormammu
05-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Well we’ve been given quite the conundrum by our current DM. (3.X)

We are starting at level 4 with the standard 5,400 Gold but we can’t purchase any magic items for our starting equipment. On what should we spend our Gold?

Obviously Masterwork weapons/armor is a good idea for the Fighter types.

Alchemical items like tinder-twigs, tangle foot bags, and alchemist’s fire are ok too, I guess. As a wizard, I think I’ll have a spell book a good deal fatter than I would otherwise.

But what else?
I’ve only begun to think about unusual mounts like Giant Eagles/Owls (are these too Expensive?) Perhaps a Homunculi (Do I need the “Craft Construct” feat?)

At first I was worried, but now I see this as a challenge!

All ideas welcome, especially weird ones!

mnemenoi
05-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Siege Engines, if you are so inclined. Even just one should prove quite useful in that odd situation in which you need something like it. Given enough time and warning they are a veritable trove of problems for the GM.

Dimthar
05-10-2009, 06:51 PM
If you are not the itinerant type hero, I'll suggest buying a Manor.

The Dread Dormammu
05-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Siege Engines!

Brilliant. And in just 1 level I can start casting "Shrink Item!"

gajenx
05-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Well I would buy weird things like bolts of oil treated cloth, and the weird gear out of the complete __________________ books. if nothing else Heavy warhorses and large covered carts will eat up funds and be a good use

mnemenoi
05-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Ever thought about possibly running the character as a noble, whom believes they are the rightful heir apparent to some nobility in the area? Perhaps the usurper believes you are basically a violent bastard, while you preach you are only a freedom fighter. That would easily justify some strange equipment and possibly some hirelings and make for a great story for the DM to work against.

Just saw all the military stuff being thrown about and it came to mind.

TheSmartestLemming
05-10-2009, 07:32 PM
If it's going to be a locally based game where you stay around the same area for most of the game, I say buy property, maybe a home, or maybe a shop for your characters profession.

I guess I'm really just seconding Dimthar's suggestion.

nijineko
05-13-2009, 05:25 PM
dig out the stronghold builders guidebook. plenty fun and meaty things there to spend money on! even if you nix the magical ones. ^^

Moritz
05-14-2009, 07:26 AM
How about hirelings/mercenaries to be cannon fodder and you swoop in and get all the XPs?
Unless your DM divides XP to the NPCs plus players. If that's the case, just have them once, storm the castle, get all the good stuff from the treasure room, and bamf, you have magic items.
You might want to leave town after that.

BrotherDog
05-15-2009, 03:59 AM
Keep the money. You never know you'll need it for. Also concsider weird mundane items that could be useful for spells. I had at one time thought of buying a bag of flour and have the Wizard cast Nystul's Magic Aura on it. I wish I had, it would have been handy against our foe with permanant Arcane Sight.

Etarnon
05-15-2009, 06:30 AM
one wonders why he's giving you starting gold but none of it can be magic.

that's pretty weird to me...as in never heard of it.

i'd say pool it and build a small shell keep.

Moritz
05-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Keep the money. You never know you'll need it for. <snip>

Careful, you may get robbed.

Nocturne
05-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Weapons of exotic materials maybe? And there's atone of mundane and alchemical items worth having, check out the Arms and Equipment guide. Use a crossbow? Buy a gnomish crossbow sight, and every rogue can use a set of masterwork longspoon thieve's tools! Be imaginative, I've literaly spent thousands on non-magical items for characters when I play.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Had another thought, probly being a smart ass but what about psionic items?

nijineko
05-16-2009, 12:51 AM
*snicker*

for game purposes, they count as magic, but that would be a fun one to pull on the dm. at least just to see the facial expression. ^^ i'd bring two lists in that case, though.

nijineko
05-16-2009, 04:23 PM
here's a list that one of my pcs came up with when he had only a little bit of gold to spend:

wagon 35gp, 400lb (backpack) =D
peasant outfits 01gp, 020lb (x10, random cloth and leather)
artisan tools 05gp, 005lb (for toymaking)
rope, hempen 10gp, 100lb (500' in 50ft increments)
canvas 10gp, 100lb (100 sq. yd., assorted pieces)
chalk pieces 01gp, 001lb (100 pieces chalk, assorted colors)
bedrolls 01gp, 050lb (x10, makes good pillows)
blankets, winter 05gp, 010lb (x10, useful for padding)
iron pots 10gp, 100lb (x10, good for cooking or storing)
10' poles 05gp, 080lb (x10, good wood)
sacks 01gp, 005lb (x10, for anything extra)
crowbars 04gp, 010lb (x2, useful for prying things)
flint and steel 01gp, 000lb (good if you need to get warm)
waterskins 10gp, 040lb (x10, carrying this is thirsty work)
sewing needle 05sp, 000lb (still good, for toymaking)
firewood 01sp, 200lb (10 days, random wood pieces)
whetstones 04sp, 020lb (x20, make great pets)

i believe that totals 100gp. this particular character was immensely strong, and thus used the wagon for a backpack, loaded with all of the rest of the above stuff. ^^ there is a fair amount of useful things that can be purchased, even staying away from magical stuff.

Baldwin Stonewood
05-18-2009, 02:57 PM
wine and ale.

Useful for your character and it can be helpful getting information out of people.

Arms and Equip has a nice list of different drinks and food items. A and E also has a lot of other gear (besides the drink) that is useful. Also, Dragon 334 has good list of additional drinks. The article was is named Drunkards and Flagons, I believe.

BrotherDog
05-19-2009, 03:49 AM
Careful, you may get robbed.

Naturally. How else are you going to get sidetracked into many o' side adventure? ;;D

TheSmartestLemming
05-19-2009, 04:50 PM
If you're into it, you could also check out some poisons and other such stuff.

nijineko
05-19-2009, 11:15 PM
aurora's whole realms catalogue has some great stuff.