PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 Star Trek was the worst

Suzaku
05-08-2009, 11:51 PM
The CGI was excellently done and nothing screamed CGI. Where was the awful fight scenes? Where was the endless moral debates about stuff that no one cares about? How come I can follow the story without studying it like a assembly and programing instuctions for a space shuttle? Why do I get the feeling I wish I saw it in IMAX instead of the theaters? This was certainly not a Star Trek Movie!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the review, Suzaku.

Thoth must see it on IMAX.

mrken
05-09-2009, 08:30 AM
My son is taking his girlfriend to see it today at noon. I have a group coming over to play at the same time. Maybe I can sneak out next week during the day and see it then. Maybe. I must see it.

MortonStromgal
05-09-2009, 10:47 AM
They broke a lot of canon (in big ways) but the hard core fan boys (and girls) will get it out of their systems this time so they can enjoy what is to come. I don't think they needed to break canon as much as they did to tell the story but it certainly sets the bar for future films doing whatever they want.

Webhead
05-09-2009, 11:14 AM
I debated inquiring about the ways in which the new film broke Star Trek canon, but then I remembered just how liberally Star Trek tended to use time-travel as a major plot device and realized it was irrelevant and probably unnecessary to do so. ;)

mrken
05-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Star Trek the original television series was never a favorite of mine. The writing in my opinion was not very good, the set was absolutely terrible (except for the bridge, which was just ok from a sixties/seventies kind of ok), the acting was ok, except the lead actor was and still is, the worst actor in history.

Where it really made it's mark with me was in making social statements and people then talking about them; and, putting the Sic-fi genre out there and getting people into it. Before that it was Westerns and Gangsters, both of which I am not a fan of. Now we have Star Wars, Matrix, Aliens and a whole host of Sci-fi and even Fantasy, thanks to Gene Roddenberry's efforts with Star Trek.

MortonStromgal
05-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I debated inquiring about the ways in which the new film broke Star Trek canon, but then I remembered just how liberally Star Trek tended to use time-travel as a major plot device and realized it was irrelevant and probably unnecessary to do so. ;)

I'll just say that to date I don't believe they have ever done anything this big. Basicly you now have a percentage of episodes from all tv shows and films that no longer can happen they way they did. To give an example without giving anything away Star Trek 3 & 4 would have to be rewritten in parts. At leased until the next film comes out and they put some of it back togeather.

Dytrrnikl
05-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Here's the skinny for the new Trek from a long-time fan...the movie was fan-frigging-tastic with a capitol F. I was leery about it, particularly since I heard about all of the changes from established cannon that had been alluded too. The best way to describe it is they used established Star Trek continuity to alter previous Star Trek continuity. The actors of the movie all payed excellent homage to what the original stars did with the characters. Biggest character change I saw, was seeing a Spock that was more conflicted with his mixed heritage than what Nimoy portrayed. For fanboys of Trek, their were scenes and explanations that were unnecessary; however, those scenes and explanations were necessary for people that have never seen Trek or followed what's been done. I give the movie 5 stars out of 5!!! Oh, one other thing...

YOU MUST SEE
IT IN IMAX!!!
(F#@&ING (F#@&ING) AWESOME)

Kaewin
05-09-2009, 02:19 PM
So I take it you are impressed?

My wife really wants to see it so I get to go to a movie this year (hopefully more than this...GI Joe anyone?)

Een my Smart alek teen (Katbutt) is excited.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Just came from seeing it. Here's the skinny: 1st half was a "10." 2nd half was good, but i felt they rushed it to get it done in the time frame they did. This aside, i definitely recommend it for everyone. It was great. Also, and I'm too lazy to look and see who made the recommendation first but, if possible... SEE IT IN IMAX!.

TheSmartestLemming
05-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Did anyone else get blinded by the endless lense flares they used?

Mindbomb
05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Seen it in IMAX and absolutely loved every minute of it although I did think the plot was a little thin for Star Trek but I definitely hope to see another with the same cast; what a great job JJ Abrams did.

kirksmithicus
05-10-2009, 10:54 PM

I didn't even notice.

I thought the movie was pretty good, surprisingly my wife liked it more than I did.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-10-2009, 11:00 PM
I will be seeing it again one more time. This time on IMAX.

Etarnon
05-11-2009, 12:09 AM
We enjoyed it.

Not traditional, it's it's own spin, but worth the 5$ we paid.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-11-2009, 10:44 AM
We enjoyed it.

Not traditional, it's it's own spin, but worth the 5$ we paid.
$5? Is that the price in Penn? Lucky you. It's double that out here-for matinee.

Valdar
05-11-2009, 11:58 AM
The Onion had a great feature on this:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film?utm_source=a-section

Somewhat spoilerrific:

Keep in mind that this is not the original Star Trek universe. The credits even refer to Leonard Nimoy as "Spock Prime"- so the character he played is from the original Trek universe, and the universe the movie is in diverged from that one the moment that Spock and Nero came back in time to it. So these are not the characters that will then have the adventures that the rest of canon describes. Spock and Kirk even discuss this on the bridge- Kirk thinks that Nero knows what's going to happen since he's from the future, but Spock points out that Nero has already altered things by showing up, to the extent that nothing can be predicted...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-11-2009, 12:05 PM
The Onion had a great feature on this:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film?utm_source=a-section

Somewhat spoilerrific:

Keep in mind that this is not the original Star Trek universe. The credits even refer to Leonard Nimoy as "Spock Prime"- so the character he played is from the original Trek universe, and the universe the movie is in diverged from that one the moment that Spock and Nero came back in time to it. So these are not the characters that will then have the adventures that the rest of canon describes. Spock and Kirk even discuss this on the bridge- Kirk thinks that Nero knows what's going to happen since he's from the future, but Spock points out that Nero has already altered things by showing up, to the extent that nothing can be predicted...

You got that right, Valdar. I,myself, actually loved what they did. It opens up so many possibilities for a whole new series-I'm hoping a new movie every year or two with the same actors. <sorry, purposefully being vague for the members that haven't seen it yet. I wouldn't want to spoil it for you. Thoth is cool in so many ways, including being mindful.>

i would also argue to those that argue canon that it didn't go against canon at all. Original canon is still there. I realize that this makes little or no sense to those that haven't, as of yet, seen it, but when you see the movie, you will glimpse what i mean.

Moritz
05-11-2009, 06:14 PM
They said two words in the movie that was greatness and tells the geek fanboy whiners to sthu.

"Alternate Reality"

The movie was greatness.

1958Fury
05-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Loved it, loved it, loved it. My full review is here (http://1958-fury.blogspot.com/2009/05/star-trek-origins-enterprise.html).

werole
05-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Yes! It made me feel queasy for some reason. Kind of cool, but slightly disconcerting.

The thing I really hate is not having a current Star Trek series to quench my addiction. Waiting for more Star Trek is going to be brutal!

Valdar
05-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Loved it, loved it, loved it. My full review is here (http://1958-fury.blogspot.com/2009/05/star-trek-origins-enterprise.html).

Excellent review- though I'd replace "Reboot" with "Ressurection". The Star Trek franchise was dead when Abrams picked it up and did his thing with it.

And, lens flare? I didn't notice. I'll be seeing it again tonight (and watching out for the tribble on Scotty's desk, which I also missed)- I'll watch for it then. My brain tends to edit out such things.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

The thing I really hate is not having a current Star Trek series to quench my addiction. Waiting for more Star Trek is going to be brutal!

A TV series with this cast and in this continuity would be awesome. If only to see the "unpleasable fanbase" choke on their own bile.

1958Fury
05-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Excellent review- though I'd replace "Reboot" with "Ressurection". The Star Trek franchise was dead when Abrams picked it up and did his thing with it.

Hehe, good point. Abrams must be a cleric of the highest order to have accomplished that.

And, lens flare? I didn't notice. I'll be seeing it again tonight (and watching out for the tribble on Scotty's desk, which I also missed)- I'll watch for it then. My brain tends to edit out such things.

Funny, so far everyone I've mentioned it to was either really annoyed by it, or didn't notice it at all. My wife found it particularly blinding, and even held her hand up over her eyes at certain points in the film. Though she tends to be melodramatic. :D

kirksmithicus
05-12-2009, 10:51 PM

A TV series with this cast and in this continuity would be awesome. If only to see the "unpleasable fanbase" choke on their own bile.

True enough.

There was a tribble?

LMAO, that'd be sweet.

BrotherDog
05-13-2009, 04:43 AM
There was only one thing that bothered me big time.

It was over too soon. Yet was over 2 hours long, but only felt like an hour.

For those that haven't been watching, well this may or may not be a spoiler, but Nimoy is playing as William Bell on Fringe. So we get somewhat of a fix this fall on the tube.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-13-2009, 10:30 AM
There was only one thing that bothered me big time.

It was over too soon. Yet was over 2 hours long, but only felt like an hour.

For those that haven't been watching, well this may or may not be a spoiler, but Nimoy is playing as William Bell on Fringe. So we get somewhat of a fix this fall on the tube.
Yes, the last half to me felt rushed. Almost like they wanted to finish the movie in under a certain time. This being said, I'm hoping that the DVD releases will have 30 minutes of extra scenes. One can only hope.

Oh well, it was still a great movie.

Valdar
05-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Yes, the last half to me felt rushed. Almost like they wanted to finish the movie in under a certain time. This being said, I'm hoping that the DVD releases will have 30 minutes of extra scenes. One can only hope.

Oh well, it was still a great movie.

From what I've read, there's a scene with Carol Marcus (Kirk's ex, and the mother of the son that the "Klingon Bastard" kills in the 3rd movie) that was cut. Also, they did a voice clip with Shatner that was also cut. So that's at least two scenes of Star Trek geeky goodness that will be on the DVD, assuming that by "cut" they meant cut from the final movie, not cut from the script...

True enough.

There was a tribble?

LMAO, that'd be sweet.

If (when) you see it again, check out what Scotty's doing the first time we see him. He's feeding those protein pellets to a tribble in a cage on his desk.

Mindbomb
05-13-2009, 03:31 PM
What's a tribble?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Dr. Zoidburgs favorie snack in Futurama.

Tribble: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=tribble&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=nTMLSpeSJZ-atAOE7KX-Ag&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=5&ct=title

Panthro82
05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I think anyone who is that bothered when they say stuff like it jumped canon are just inconsolable. Lets be honest Star Trek was dead. JJ Abrams resurrected the franchise. I would think any fan would love this movie if not at least for that fact. They had to put in all the extra explanations and stuff Trek fans already know, because they're trying to appeal to a larger audience to make it more accessible. This will also make sure it stays alive longer this time and gives them a bigger budget for the sequel. So its a little more mainstream this time, but hey at least its out there! I think back when the TV show was made it wasnt a staple of the series to make corny battles, have terrible actors, and long drawn out boring dialogue. It was just what they had the money for and who the target audience were....total nerds. Plus, I think the actors cast (in every single role) were dead on perfect! I genuinely think this was top 2 of all the Star Trek films made!

Oh and I saw it in IMAX and yea....spend the $14 bucks to go see it!!!! It is spectacular in IMAX!!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-13-2009, 04:10 PM
My two favorite scenes:

1) How Dr. Mc Coy got his nickname, Bones.
2) When Spock told Kirk to remove himself from his chair.

Great stuff. Great movie. Also, can one really argue canon under the circumstances as placed in this Star Trek movie. Who cares, really? I'm glad they did what they did, for i believe it breathed new life into the franchise.

I've been trying to see it in IMAX that last few days. Today at 4:20pm will be my next attempt. Wish me luck.

Panthro82
05-13-2009, 04:16 PM
good luck. I went this past sunday. Got into the theater about 35 minutes before the previews and still had to sit all the way 2nd row from the far back! I definitely reccomend sitting further then closer. I want to go a 2nd time and sit like right in the middle of the theater. Those are the best seats in the house.

cpljarhead
05-13-2009, 05:15 PM
saw it in imax at the midnight showing. thought it was great. the story left a little to be desired but it was played out well and the effects were awesome in imax. it is a story i think that was geared towards those who are not trekkies. almost like a remake feeling but good just the same. learn things already known if a trekkie but needed saying for those who are not. wife not really into star trek but loved ther movie anyway.

Dark
05-13-2009, 05:54 PM
I being a fan of all the trek series found the movie to be very well done the eye candy special effects were brilliant and the acting to be excellent. All in all I found the movie to be entertaining and look forward to future trek movies with the new time line.

1958Fury
05-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Also, they did a voice clip with Shatner that was also cut.

More on that here (http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1611116/story.jhtml).

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Saw it on IMAX today. CONFIRMED! IMAX was awesome for Star Trek.

Panthro82
05-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Saw it on IMAX today. CONFIRMED! IMAX was awesome for Star Trek.

Yea lol I took my mom to see it for mothers day (she wanted to see it because she used to watch the show and all the movies) A little more then halfway through it she turns to me and says, "I can feel the seats vibrating!" She loved the whole IMAX experience. At first she was hessitant cause of the cost, but afterwards she was all excited and really loved the movie. Pretty cool to get a reaction like that out of your 57 year old mom!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-14-2009, 12:01 AM
True. The cost did suck. Cost me $16.50, OUCH!

Etarnon
05-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Yeah, it was 5$ Here in Pittsburgh. For the i guess weekday special.

My favorite Scene: "Your father was Captain of a Starship for 12 minutes. During those 12 minutes, he saved 300 people."

Made me shiver, because in real life that's what Naval Leadership is all about, plus Kirk's Motto (from many films and videogames) "Risk is our business."

Just pinged off of me to the core. Pike's actor carried it well. Usually he plays a bad guy, or the president, I thought he was perfect.

Panthro82
05-14-2009, 01:45 AM

My favorite Scene: "Your father was Captain of a Starship for 12 minutes. During those 12 minutes, he saved 300 people."

Made me shiver, because in real life that's what Naval Leadership is all about, plus Kirk's Motto (from many films and videogames) "Risk is our business."

Just pinged off of me to the core. Pike's actor carried it well. Usually he plays a bad guy, or the president, I thought he was perfect.

oh you probably saw the regular showing matinee. plus it was 800(not critiquing, just a bit of a perfectionist/dork)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-14-2009, 10:25 AM

Agreed. Pike's character did surprisingly well.

1958Fury
05-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Made me shiver,

Ditto. Best line in the movie, and both times I saw it, I got goosebumps.

Panthro82
05-14-2009, 12:07 PM
That line was awesome. I also loved when James first met the doctor. Plus any moment with Scottie. Ahhh such a fanboy of Simon Pegg.

Valdar
05-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Wish I could have seen it in IMAX. I think it will be a few weeks before the IMAX tickets are sold out days beforehand around here...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Good luck to you, Valdar. After yesterdays movie going IMAX experience, Potter & Terminator will definitely be IMAX for me.

Panthro82
05-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Yea Im resigned to going to see Harry Potter 6 in IMAX. I'm gonna have to get into the theater an hour early just so I can get good seats! ugh I hate having to go that early! I usually slink into the theater as the coming attractions are playing.

1958Fury
05-22-2009, 09:01 PM
And, lens flare? I didn't notice.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j68/1958_Fury/Web/lensflairST.jpg

:D

Panthro82
05-22-2009, 09:24 PM
There was some flare definitely, but I have learned through years of practice to block out distractions like that when I watch movies. My brain is very analytical so I have had to teach myself to block stuff out so that I can actually enjoy culture for what it is! It doesn't, unfortunately work for everything. Some movies are just horrible and nothing can ever redeem them.

lespapillons
05-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I thought it was great. I watched the original series as a kid, and the film revived my interest in the TV series.

Panthro82
05-22-2009, 09:26 PM
agreed. I love the new movie

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 09:46 PM
it was all about spock

Valdar
06-06-2009, 10:12 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j68/1958_Fury/Web/lensflairST.jpg

:D

What's funny is that I went into the second showing specifically looking for the lens flare, and was caught up in the story and action again and forgot to keep looking for it. So I guess my brain just edits it out...

Panthro82
06-07-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm definitely buying this movie when it comes out on DVD. One of the better movies I have seen in a while...

Sascha
06-07-2009, 03:50 AM
It's a bad, bad thing that I don't see DeForest Kelley as Bones anymore. For there is only Karl Urban, bearer of the Snark. (Well, outside of Alan Rickman, that is.)