PDA

View Full Version : What's the most ludicrous game you ever played?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-08-2009, 04:58 PM
What's the most ludicrous game you ever played?

We've all played them. Time to share these unbelievable experiences with others on this site.

I'll go first, with three:

1) Once played in a 5 hours session with a group of gamers I've never played with before. This was a DnD3.5E session, and i kid you not, this group spent five hours role playing in court, playing out attorneys, witnesses, bailiffs, the 3 judges, etc. Unfreakinbelievable! Needless to say, i never played with this group again.

2) Visited another group I've never played with before. Played for 8 hours and never even seen the possibility of combat. Plenty of negotiation, though. So finally, towards the end, i say, "i guess you guys are of the mind of 25/75 (25% fighting)? Their response: No! We don't believe in violence and therefore never see combat in our dnd games. All living entities, no matter how evil, can be negotiated with. My jaw dropped. I, needless to say, never played with this group again.

3) Have a 3rd that dropped my jaw. Playing with another group of players. I was new with this group and didn't know what to expect. Well, after the teleportation necklaces, which was standard issue, which magically teleportated any one of us just before death to safety (yep, you read that right), the final straw was the werewolf in the ocean that used himself for bait against a dire great white shark. This fish was about 60 feet long. Here's what he told the DM: I want the shark to swallow me, and then when it does, i will dig my way out with my claws and teeth.

Needless to say, he successfully killed this dire great white shark. I thanked them for allowing me to join in but never came back for another session.

What share the rest of you?

templeorder
05-08-2009, 05:06 PM
I once played in a 3e game that was basically a prop for the DMs story. I spent a lot of time agonizing over my character and trying to be fair but min maxing where i thought it best and coming up with some unusual ideas to basically create a spartan like warrior. Others got these crazy character with amazing powers handed to them by the GM... i though ok, i often have my players ask me to make their characters because i make them well and integrate them tightly together. The game went on for months and i realized that i could not die. I tested it it out and did everything in my power to try the most outrageous, stupid, ludicrious stunts and ideas and never did i get killed. I talked to the DM about it and said that i thought i was just being pulled around by my nose, as a prop for his friend and wife while we acted out the story he wanted to tell. He said that was basically true, but that the story was great and i should just go along with it. He even said he had some player's deaths already planned. Thats nice, but if i have no risk in dying, i have no real vestment in my character, and i'f i'm gonna die anyway, why should i care about the character? Anyway, we had a big arguement in front of everyone and an email flame war and that group disbanded... as far as i know no one i know of played with that DM again.

yukonhorror
05-08-2009, 05:15 PM
my response to the posts:

:doh: AND :der: AND :jaw:

that is ridiculous. The closest I can come to that is playing for a year and a half and only making it to 4th level with a +1 sword and +1 armor (our DM was a xp and magic nazi).

The other was the solution to the situation we were in. Basically, we were supposed to convert the main bad guy to our side and fight for the side of good. APPARENTLY, she used to be good, and somehow we were supposed to have figured that out. This bad guy summoned a powerful demon and a huge army to stop us. Yeah she is good. Campaign DIED because we couldn't figure out the solution.

We still played with the DM, (he had great stories/campaigns), but there are definitely things I would change about his style.

Of course, I think Thoth wins the prize. I am flabbergasted. I can see other games having no combat, but D&D "kind of" warrants at least "some" combat.

Suzaku
05-08-2009, 05:33 PM
1) Once played in a 5 hours session with a group of gamers I've never played with before. This was a DnD3.5E session, and i kid you not, this group spent five hours role playing in court, playing out attorneys, witnesses, bailiffs, the 3 judges, etc. Unfreakinbelievable! Needless to say, i never played with this group again.

Yeah and? I'm still waiting for the Needless to say part....

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Yeah and? I'm still waiting for the Needless to say part....
Here's some more detail if anyone is interested.

Needless to say... my guy wasn't playing an attorney class. He was a adventurer, and therefore wanted to adventure. Apparently this group was about the legal system in the city. Their only adventures were from going to one city to another to practice law and to free the wrongfully accused bad guys, no matter what the race. In their minds, humans were the bad, and the evil were just the misunderstood. I wont lie, i was amazed at their perspectives on things, as alien as they were to me. It was an experience right out of a Twilight Zone type of story. :confused:

Oldgamer
05-08-2009, 06:47 PM
I once played in a homebrew game where we were low level, around 4th I think. D&D 3.5, I was an elven Gold Dragon Shaman who kicked butt ... and did so for money to help pay for a crew for a ship that he and his group were hired to board and seek someone kidnapped.

To make a long story short, we were led to an island that had an infestation of barghests and we found a glowing orb. By taking hold of the orb, we were transported to a Star Wars world ... the DM had even asked us if we wanted to play in a futuristic RPG, and we all unanimously said no. So he took matters into his own hands. Nothing against Star Wars at all, loved the story, but don't know the game nor did we want to, but the DM felt we had to for some reason.

kirksmithicus
05-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Mine are a little more harmless. We all showed up to play a game once and every character had an 18 on each attribute. Of course we were all in the sixth grade, so what do you really expect. Anyway the DM decided we would all roll 2d6 for each attribute and subtract that roll from our attributes before he would let us play. I still call it the 6th grade method, for character generation.

BTW those are some strange people.

gajenx
05-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Craziest game I ever played was where I walked into a group and was told to make my character 20th level, as it was a long running campaign I walked in on. The GM said to give myself the normal starting gold items worth of things and I was allowed to have templates up to +3 and the modifiers would be ignored, due to the varient rules he was using from Unearthed Arcana.

But if making a character with item creation feats I could buy items as if I made them myself. So I ended up making a wizard and due to picking half dragon he said all my HD had to be d12 since that is what the template makes them. Plus having item creation feats from wizard class I had more stuff than anyone else. But the game was upsurd in how people acted. I never played again as I felt I did not need to act out my childhood fantasies and my "-isms". Where the group was mostly acting on the ideas of if you are of their religion you were a barbarian in their eyes and if you were not human or half-elf by standard race you are subhuman and deserve no respect or anything, a.k.a. it felt like I was playing with white supremacists or neo-nazis who kept their hair/Perverted KKK members.

P.S. I forgot to mention only did the half dragon thing since everyone else had +3 or more templates to them already.

Malruhn
05-09-2009, 07:17 AM
>>>SNIP<<<
When I've been with groups that are getting burned out from playing, we've done stuff like this, purely to flesh out campaign worlds... but I've NEVER been in a group that would do it with a new player in the party!! My great banana magic, Thoth!! A new player would be exactly what a burned out party NEEDS to make things fresh again!!
3) Needless to say, he successfully killed this dire great white shark. This sounds like the group that I recently left. The only thing that they would demand in addition to being allowed to do this, would be for the werewolf to find a 10,000gp diamond in the stomach as he started digging his way out!! A 10,000gp diamond wrapped in the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd!!! :rolleyes:

Webhead
05-09-2009, 09:50 AM
The most ludicrous game I've ever been in:

A Star Wars campaign with round-robin GMing duty that we played in high school during lunch time. I heard about the game through a friend and was new to the group. One of the PCs (the one belonging to the current GM) was actually a freaking Predator...as in the invisible, stalking alien with a shoulder mounted laser! On his character sheet he had written in "5,839 Dark Side Points" or some other impossible number. Gawd, what ridiculousness. Most of the rest of the party consisted of Jedi, each with their own obnoxiously non-Jedi-like weaponry such as (I kid you not) "lightsaber bombs"...bombs that emitted a wave of lightsaber energy (yeesh!). But wait, it gets better.

The GM who was running at the time that I joined apparently regarded rolling a "1" on your Wild Die to be the worst thing ever and would punish your character accordingly (to those not in the know, rolling a "1" normally just means that it either reduces the total of your roll or it causes some kind of complication). On one occasion, a player was attempting to pick up an unconscious enemy and roll him off of their speeder before they rode off in it. He rolled a "1" on the Wild Die for his Strength check and the GM declared that he accidentally flung the body so hard that it smashed into a nearby tree and ripped into pieces. Later, in an attempt to swim under a sewer grating to sneak into a enemy base, another PC rolls a "1" on a Swimming check to which the GM tells him that his character gets stuck in the grating and a large turd (yes, he described it as such) gets lodged in his mouth and his character drowns. Just like that. Oops, you rolled a "1"? Sorry...you're dead!

We used to call those "the days of the dreaded 1".

But wait, I'm not done yet!

A little later down the line, another player assumes the role of GM. He starts us off on a seemingly normal adventure. Our ship crash-lands on a primative planet where we discover a race of short, beared humanoid who live in a mountain. They are being attacked by a red dragon...yes a fire-breathing red dragon...and would like the help of our "strange weapons" and "magic powers". So we help them slay the dragon. Over a few more sessions we come to find out that the Force does not function normally in this world and the Jedi begin losing their powers, to which the DM...er, I mean GM...replies, "don't worry, the dwarves can teach you their magic spells". About the time he asked us to convert our characters' Strength dice into Hit Points I quit the game and that campaign seemed to come to a quick end as a result of it.

Ugh!

mrken
05-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Played a halfling rogue once where every game would end up with them finding a treasure trove. We always received one magic item each and the party would haul away sometimes a semi truck load of gold coins. The character was getting up there in levels and therefore had a warehouse full of stuff. Whenever he needed an item I would just state that he was using it. Never a question as to whether the character had the item on him and where it was before he used it. Sometimes it was kind of funny, like he was pulling the item out of his... Well, you get the point.

One time he told the party there was nothing in the cave, but the GM wouldn't let me. Everyone got to split up the treasure.

Webhead
05-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Played a halfling rogue once where every game would end up with them finding a treasure trove. We always received one magic item each and the party would haul away sometimes a semi truck load of gold coins. The character was getting up there in levels and therefore had a warehouse full of stuff. Whenever he needed an item I would just state that he was using it. Never a question as to whether the character had the item on him and where it was before he used it. Sometimes it was kind of funny, like he was pulling the item out of his... Well, you get the point.

One time he told the party there was nothing in the cave, but the GM wouldn't let me. Everyone got to split up the treasure.

Played a D&D game like that once. The DM house-ruled that everyone got maximum Hit Points each level and by level 6 we had built our own kingdom and had more magic items than we could count, including some of artifact-level power. My character had 4 pieces of a 5-piece set of artifact items that were supposedly unqiue (as in, only 1 set in existence).

kirksmithicus
05-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Hafling assassin with an invisibility ring and a M-14 rifle. That D&D game didn't last long, and it ended with us all dead except the hafling. Who killed us because we made fun of the player and his idiotic character. Man I had totally forgotten about that one.

Webhead
05-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Hafling assassin with an invisibility ring and a M-14 rifle. That D&D game didn't last long, and it ended with us all dead except the hafling. Who killed us because we made fun of the player and his idiotic character. Man I had totally forgotten about that one.

Sounds almost like the first (and last) Shadowrun campaign I tried running. These were beginning characters, mind you. One player was an Elf Sniper/Mage who had invisibility magic and the other was a Troll Hitman/Street Samurai with a shoulder cannon. The Troll would run in and take the fire (he regularly shrugged off 12-gauge slugs thanks to his toughness and armor) while the Elf picked a convenient spot and began picking people off with headshots. Since his rifle was equipped with a silencer and flash surpressor, he would go through entire combats without being seen.

Yeah, that game didn't last too long (but it was fun in its own way while it did last).

Dytrrnikl
05-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Back in my beginning days of 2E, the one DM I gamed with used to incoporate things like Flying Rabid Cows, Flasks of Verne (some liquified character of his), and routinely killed 1/2 to 2/3 of the party within an hour of starting the game for the night. We didn't let this guy DM for 5 or 6 years after one or two sessions of what he delivering to us.

Most recently, a player who began running his own DnD campaign, allowed each player (7 people) to play two or three characters each along with the DM characters - 8 of'em. We were the supporting cast to the DM's characters and it was very monty haulish, and finally the two sessions i played were 99% long, drawn out, super-anal, tactical combat/1% social role play. It was bad enough being lead around by the nose, even worse that the PCs were not as important as the DMs characters, the combats made it a complete travesty. I miss the 2E combat days, where combat wasn't so tactical, anal, and just flowed from one round to the next. I've learned to cope with 3E and Star Wars d20/Saga, but it fricking sucks the big one. Combat doesn't have to be detailed to be fun and interesting. I will never be a player for that guy again.

Finally, for me a ridiculous game are those that I've played where a Rules Lawyer has been the DM. Typically, these same individuals, in my epxeriences, also need to have meticulously detailed notes about every possible eventuality. Too many notes, too many details, equates to a boring game. For me it turns gaming into something like reading a Stephen King novel - a mind0numbingly painful experience I don't ever want to repeat. No offense to Stephen Kings fans, but to put it diplomatically, I just don't appreciate his style of writing.

GoddessGood
05-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I was visiting my (ex) long-distance boyfriend and decided to come along with him to his game group. He warned me it was a little redonkulous, but I was hoping for some fun. I had a character prepped in case I was asked to join, but I was not. The usual GM and his fiancee were the other players and one who usually played was the GM. It showed, in that he couldn't answer a question without looking into two or three books. He rolled for every NPC to do anything instead of handwaving it (off camera like) to speed things up. Most of the time was spent in a battle that should have taken 30 minutes with occasional lapses/cutscenes of the fiancee gathering herbs in the woods. Oh, almost forgot, they were playing shapeshifters, so when the GM said they had to cross a forest to get to their destination, they all turned into birds and flew over the forest. The GM later admitted that had killed the majority of his story plans for that session. We then spent several hours talking about wine and mixed drinks while I made subtle comments to my ex about how it was time to get going.

InvestFDC
05-15-2009, 11:40 PM

Hilarious. That is an image that will last for a while. Did he call people "wabbit" as he was stalking them? Mental instability and a rifle. It's almost cliche'.

Rook
05-20-2009, 07:58 PM
I was a member of a weekly gaming club back in the high school in the 80s in which we made a foray into the hells inspired by the pic in the original PH. We alternated DMing, with the DM running his character as a back-seat NPC (just followed along with the decisions and actions of the group) and were having a blast until "Ken" took over. We then somehow ended up in a scenario that involved Tiamat, a deck of many things, and a game of inter-species sado-sexual chicken. Weird.

templeorder
05-21-2009, 10:26 AM
The halfling comment made me remember one particular adventure with a 1e halfling i had named Seth. He had gained a ring of fire resistance, and the group was about second level. As a thief i generally hung back in shadows, out of combat and used a short bow. One time the party got surrounded by kobolds. It looked grim as they were getting d4'd to death after a few rounds. I poured my 3 flasks of oil (standard adventuring gear at the time), lit myself on fire and ran in. I killed all the kobolds (DM said they had to expose themselves to the D6 fire damage to get to me), all my party members, and passed out from the smoke. I awoke, snuck out of the cave complex (after looting everyone of their stuff!) and returned to town to sell the gear. I still have the character on record (1988), but the rest of the players refused to allow him into their new group.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-21-2009, 10:34 AM
The halfling comment made me remember one particular adventure with a 1e halfling i had named Seth. He had gained a ring of fire resistance, and the group was about second level. As a thief i generally hung back in shadows, out of combat and used a short bow. One time the party got surrounded by kobolds. It looked grim as they were getting d4'd to death after a few rounds. I poured my 3 flasks of oil (standard adventuring gear at the time), lit myself on fire and ran in. I killed all the kobolds (DM said they had to expose themselves to the D6 fire damage to get to me), all my party members, and passed out from the smoke. I awoke, snuck out of the cave complex (after looting everyone of their stuff!) and returned to town to sell the gear. I still have the character on record (1988), but the rest of the players refused to allow him into their new group.
You did what you felt you had to do under the circumstances. You would have been applauded for great gameplay in our games, even if it did kill us off.

RoryN
05-21-2009, 11:49 AM
I guess my old group started out as many...Monte Haul dungeons...too many magical items...etc. This probably isn't as bad as some, but it really bothered a few of us for a while.

Once we started getting away from that, we had one guy who became really vindictive as a DM, using other adventures by us as DMs to get payback for some of the things that had happened. He also hated to "lose" in his dungeons, so if we fulfilled the objective and were about to get home, he usually had something up his sleeve to ruin the moment.

On one occassion, we had gone into some ancient evil temple complex, run off the minions of some long forgotten religion, and killed the head honcho. On our way in, we had discovered a door with a trap (exploding bolts...one of his favorites) and had disarmed it. We asked numerous times if we had removed all the trap, and he said "Yes". So when we were leaving with our loot and opened that door again, imagine our surprise when the trap went off. We reminded him that he had said we removed the trap. His reply: "You didn't check the other side of the door." Killed off 3 of the 7 remaining characters, as we were leaving the place low on hit points and having used up all of our healing.

Moritz
05-21-2009, 06:30 PM
In High School, we had this very materialistic player who would yell out, "I call the most powerful magic item." when entering each room.

Malruhn
05-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Hmmm, looks like we found a +3 shield! *whispered* Let's not tell him it's cursed!!

Dick. As a DM, after talking to him, if he persisted, I'd declare a DM vendetta.

BrotherDog
05-22-2009, 03:52 AM
I would have to say for me it's Monopoly. A hellish game based on everything I hate about life.

Suzaku
05-27-2009, 05:56 AM
So I answered a post from someone looking for player for D&D 3.5 game. So I decided to join and when I got there it was the session they decide to change to 4e. Now they never gave me any warning they were changing over. I played that session (had to scrap my character due not being compatible with 4e) and when session was over I decided to leave.

Moritz
05-27-2009, 08:51 AM
I have to say, this is a thread that I really look forward to reading. There are some great stories here.

MortonStromgal
05-27-2009, 12:04 PM
I was once in a Star Wars d20 game where just before battle he would hand us the opposing forces character sheets and walk out for a smoke. He wanted us to always know what we were up against and build a strategy. I found it pretty ludicrous.

Xandros
05-27-2009, 07:28 PM
A situation that comes to mind for me isn't as ludicrous as a halfling setting themselves on fire, That's Funny. I sat in on one game that a friend of mine was DMing. He could not handle monsters and combat correctly. We were 3rd level and he was throwing monsters at us way beyond the CR that we should be facing.... And were beating them rather easily. He had just gotten the Epic Level Handbook, so he created Epic level characters as our enemies. At 3rd level we were still able to beat them. Which provided massive experience points and a lot of magical gear beyond our level. In fact every encounter had at least one magic item. He is a nice guy, but man he can't DM and I never bothered to play in his group again.

TheSmartestLemming
06-01-2009, 10:48 PM
I had just moved, and was looking for a group through these forums (it was how I found the place actually) and quickly found one nearby that I thought was going to work out. It was a 2e game, which I hadn't played for a while, but it was going to be fun to go back to my old days of gameing.

I found out unfortunately that they had a rule that every new character had to start at 1st level (everyone else was 10th+) so that was a bit of a bummer, but I continued thinking it would work. Then I was told that what the group really needed was someone with some healing powers, because everyone else was pretty martial (A fighter, rogue, a ranger, and a wizard). So I roll up a cleric, and we all get to playing. During our first fight, I wanted to feel useful, and knew that to get into melee would be deadly, so I cast a debuffing spell against the monsters. It wasn't going to do much, but I at least would feel useful in the fight. When I cast the spell everyone starts yelling at me that I was wasteling my spell slots casting stuff like that. All of my spells were supposed to be used for healing them.

So I had be recruited as a healing bot for the group, and that's all they wanted from me. They got a new person to come into their group just so that they could have someone to heal them. How fun.

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 11:30 AM
a campaign that my brother DM'D we all had to play gnomish barbarians

Webhead
06-06-2009, 12:05 PM

Which just happens to be the race/class combo of my favorite D&D character ever...:)

Sascha
06-06-2009, 01:38 PM

Gaah. "Conan of the Lollipop Guild." Thank you for that image :P

Webhead
06-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Gaah. "Conan of the Lollipop Guild." Thank you for that image :P

No, no...you're thinking halflings. ;)

Sascha
06-06-2009, 02:20 PM
No, no...you're thinking halflings. ;)
Silly Webhead, there's no such thing as halflings. No being would be cruel enough to inflict them on us mere mortals :P