PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite campaign setting?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-08-2009, 11:39 AM
What's your favorite campaign setting, and why?

You're welcome to choose more than one.

I've listed 15, and i am aware of one more though i cant recall the name. If your favorite isn't listed, then please list on this thread.

Be sure to share with the rest of us why you've chosen the campaign setting you have.

*templeorder made a good point, see below. If your favorite campaign setting is your own, be sure to tell the rest of us a bit more about it.

For those of you with home brew campaigns, listing material on this thread will NOT be taken as threadjacking, for this thread is designed for the benefit of all P&PG members.

What share you?

Enjoy!:D

templeorder
05-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm limiting my response to the list to make it simple, but i prefer my own home brew setting i created under the ADnD 1 rules.

I have a real soft spot for Greyhawk because it had a good feel for it, was epic and rife with gods and powers but left a lot to be filled in. Since i love world building, these worlds feel the best to me. Worlds where there are massive amounts of supplements that explain too much sort of impinges on my GM style. I wont say its bad, because a lot of GM's like the detail and appreciate the effort they do not have to do... but i love DIY and Greyhawk was the first world i "did" it to. :biggrin:

RMajere
05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
My favorite campaign setting isn't in the list, and I'll proclaim it's fabulousness every chance I get. White Wolf's/Sword and Sorcery's Scarred Lands d20 campaign setting is AWESOME. So that's where my vote goes.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-08-2009, 01:40 PM
If you would, RMajere, please tell us more about this setting. Thanks.

MortonStromgal
05-08-2009, 02:11 PM
So for long term play I would say Forgotten Realms, however I love short jaunts into Ravenloft & Planescape. Additionally I enjoy short campaigns (12 or so adventures) in Dragonlance (Specifically the War of the Lance or before) & Darksun.

[edit] If we are going with 3rd party I have a love/hate relationship with Midnight, I love the concept but I want less D&D in my Sauron wins version of Middle Earth.
http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/MIDNIGHT_RPG_Campaigns:_Main_Page

Scarred Lands http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarred_Lands

Oldgamer
05-08-2009, 05:06 PM
For nostalgic reasons, Dragonlance is my favorite, and like MortonStromgal, I enjoy War of the Lance and before.

But I love Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk. FR for being so fleshed out and diverse and Greyhawk for it's high fantasy and medieval European feel that was so much of earlier D&D.

Kalanth
05-08-2009, 11:01 PM
So far I am the one guy that picks Eberron. I love that setting and the steam-punk esq feel to it. Eberron is rather similar to the homebrew I had made a few years prior and because of that I just started to use Eberron instead. Since Eberron came out only one of my campaigns has been on any other world.

BrotherDog
05-09-2009, 05:57 AM
I really love Eberron for many reasons, too many to list really.

I also like Toril, but fell away when too much of Faerun became too humanocentric. Plus too much, "Drow this, Drow that" garbage. It got old fast. But, there are the other continents- Zakhara(Al Qadim), Maztica, Kara-Tur, and 2 others not named or populated yet.

I like the Hi-Psy and brutal, dying world of Athas. Not sure why.

I always wanted to play Spelljammer but was never able to find DM who'd run it. The same goes for Mystara's - Savage Coast - Red Steel. It was an awesome idea.

Baron_Samedi
05-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Ravenloft...

Its the one setting i can think of, outside of Dark Sun, where the objective goes beyond simply completing an adventure, but rather survival is the name of the game. Also, its great for those who want to get a taste of the different campaign settings out there, as there is a realm, or pocket domain from each of the campaign setttings.(Sithicus from Dragonlance, Al-Kathos from Al-Qadim, Kalidnay from Dark Sun; and there was one from Planescape that eludes my mind for the moment.) Not to mention it is a great equalizer for those 2e and 3.x players out there, with variant magic ratings for each domain and the general absence of the Gods limits players powers and gives them pause before charging into battle...if the local darklord doesn't believe in your kind of magic, or thinks he or she is better than your God, guess what kids? You're at a handicap! It just provides an exciting game with an indeterminite outcome. But i also recognize there are those who want to play more fantasy based systems than horror, so I can understand those who aren't really big fans. Although, most people who have given the system a try, at least in my experience speak fondly of it....

Dark
05-09-2009, 10:34 AM
You forgot to add Thieves' World Sanctuary by Green Ronin Publishing but Forgotten Realms would be a close second.

Webhead
05-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Dark Sun all the way.

A much "grittier", more "survivalist" style of setting and one in which all magic has consequences. The gods have abandoned the world and thus the only clerics are those that worship the Dragon Kings, ancient sorcerers of frightening power. Arcane magic is divided into two types; Defilers- whose magic is strong but who recklessly ravage the earth to fuel their spells and Preservers- who try to take only what they need and preserve the already fleeting resources of their planet.

Plus, there are some absolute awesome things at work in the background that explain what is happening to the world and why it is such a miserable place. A lot of Athas is a mystery and simply traveling from place to place is a potentially life-threatening endeavor.

After that, I suppose it would be Al-Qadim. If prefer things that break away from the "Medieval Europe" stylings. Not because that style of campaign is bad but because it is (for me) all too common.

Windstar
05-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Most favorite was War of the Lance, played it continuously for weekly till DM moved, It had flair and flavor of the fanasty realm that I favor. FR is next because it has been well thought out and fleshed out. Dark sun a very close third, only problem with it was psionics, I have never liked psionics and probably never will. But the new races and the back ground was awesome.

:cool::cool:

BrotherDog
05-10-2009, 05:25 AM
Dark Sun all the way.

A much "grittier", more "survivalist" style of setting and one in which all magic has consequences. The gods have abandoned the world and thus the only clerics are those that worship the Dragon Kings, ancient sorcerers of frightening power. Arcane magic is divided into two types; Defilers- whose magic is strong but who recklessly ravage the earth to fuel their spells and Preservers- who try to take only what they need and preserve the already fleeting resources of their planet.

Plus, there are some absolute awesome things at work in the background that explain what is happening to the world and why it is such a miserable place. A lot of Athas is a mystery and simply traveling from place to place is a potentially life-threatening endeavor.

After that, I suppose it would be Al-Qadim. If prefer things that break away from the "Medieval Europe" stylings. Not because that style of campaign is bad but because it is (for me) all too common.

I was under the impression that the clerics/priests of Athas worshiped the Elements, at least as the novels go.

Zakhara is refreshing in many other ways too. One can never assume who is evil/good based on race.

Grimwell
05-10-2009, 10:27 AM
You spelled Qadim =)

Dimthar
05-10-2009, 03:26 PM
As for running: Forgotten Realms. I guess the reason is because is Standard, very rich in background and history, tons of info (Maps, NPCs, Villains), and very well documented. In summary, very little work for me other than the Politics and the Plots.

Definitely I enjoy Ravenloft, although don't normally run a campaign there, but rather use the "kidnapped by the mists: Weekend in hell" theme, that is by having Ravenloft interlope (conjunctions) with FR.

Love Al-Qadim since it came out, if running FR, the characters at least have to go once there.

Webhead
05-10-2009, 09:50 PM
I was under the impression that the clerics/priests of Athas worshiped the Elements, at least as the novels go...

It's been so long I had nearly forgotten about them...

Yes, there are also the elemental priests who worship one of the four "classical" elements (Earth, Fire, Water, Air).

Besides them, the only "priests" or "clerics" are the Templars who serve and worship the Dragon Kings.

RMajere
05-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Well MortonStromgal already posted the wiki to the Scarred Lands, but I can expound a little bit.

The Scarred Lands is a world of 5 continents, only 2 of which are intimately written about. Ghelspad and Termana.

Basically if you understand Greek mythology, and the war between Gods and Titans. Titans are primal forces of nature and the world, and their progeny the Gods are (now) planar entities with that divine connection to their followers.

War was inevitable since the storm or the plague has no feelings one way or the other about the people in the world, but the gods did. So the Divine War, or the Titanswar ensued, shattering the world of Scarn, and turning it into the Scarred Lands.

Eventually all the titans were sundered, banished, and/or killed. And the gods now rule the Scarred Lands, and have set about to rebuilt the shattered world they inherited. Countless lives, magic items, and divine beings were killed during the war. Other races, titanspawn, now actively work to return their fallen masters under the belief that the cycle of life, death, birth, rebirth, etc... has now grown stagnant with but one treacherous titan, the earthmother Denev to have taken it briefly at the end of the war, and then abdicated her role.

Countless other intrigues and plots await those willing and brave enough to journey the face of Scarn!

Ok, so melodramatic maybe, but I really like the setting. If anyone has any questions or wants to know more, I'd be happy to share, just message me. =P

BrotherDog
05-12-2009, 03:59 AM
What be this Malatra mentioned in the poll? Never heard'o that'n.

Dytrrnikl
05-12-2009, 04:49 AM
On the list, it's Dark Sun first followed by Forgotten Realms. However, overall, my favorite setting is the homebrew one I created during 2E, called Ne'ernight, that started as a way to have a campaign where the characters became immortal and deities of the setting through divine ascension.

It's a sort of ancient greek like setting, in a world where the major continent has a landlocked sea that is large enough to fit the continental United States in it with some room to spare.

Their are two pantheons one with 12 Deities and one with 12 philosophies, with the two in constant conflict, causing war to spread throughout the land. The Philosophies are basically my take on what happens if enough people believe with the power of faith in the same idea - it comes alive in its own way and takes a psuedolife of its own. This conflict, while it is the major plot point, if you will, for the setting, other stories could be played out easily enough.

Due to a cataclysmic event, in which a lich attempted to reassemble an artifact called the Elfsun, arcane magic and its practitioners are ostracized and loathed by most people, except within two very powerful city-states. The elfsun was an artifact designed to open a 1 mile wide gate that lead to some really horrible place. It compelled elfves and fae folk alike to enter it, completely ignoring any and all protections to compulsions.

The Lich was eventually thwarted, but only after he had assembled the Elfsun and untold tens to hundreds of thousands of elven and fae folk entered the gate. The magical backlash of opening a gate that large caused tremendous and widesweeping destruction across the world. The two moons of the world spontaneously combusted, effectively adding two more 'suns' to the world. This constantly bathes the world in sunlight. However, the world is not a desert planet. Lloth's presence was banished from the world during an event called the Upheaval, with drow splitting into two distinct races - drow who remained below and the Aldurra who returned to the surface. Additionally, the Elfsun caused a dramatic change to arcane magic-users - wizards could no longer had access to all 8 school of magic. They began play with the ability to cast spells from 4 schools of magic and could only ever cast spells or use magic items with magic from one of those four schools. At 5th level they had to pick a primary school, which dictated what special abilties they developed as they advanced further.

Well, that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I've got 6 or 7 binders at home filled with tons of info about the setting. I even entered it into the contest that brought the gaming community Eberron.

nijineko
05-13-2009, 01:01 AM
greyhawk, my own variants thereof, and my own settings. i'm very fond of the origins and evolution of the greyhawk world and setting. so much history, flavor, depth, and variation. my settings have a lot of scope. and still need lots of work. sigh.

Authorien
05-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Planescape, hands down. Why? Because the possibilities were limitless. If you want a little Revenloft for one adventure and a little bit of homebrew the next, then off to the 9 Hells, you could do it. It was also an awesome way to switch off DMs AND keep the same characters without having to make new characters every 5 fraking seconds. If the DM got tired of running, just go thru a portal to a new place and the next DM takes over. Worked SO well in college! Also, you could just fraking ignore the idiotic portions of the setting, like modrons, or the adventure set on a fraking microchip.

Mindbomb
05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Planescape, hands down. Why? Because the possibilities were limitless. If you want a little Revenloft for one adventure and a little bit of homebrew the next, then off to the 9 Hells, you could do it. It was also an awesome way to switch off DMs AND keep the same characters without having to make new characters every 5 fraking seconds. If the DM got tired of running, just go thru a portal to a new place and the next DM takes over. Worked SO well in college! Also, you could just fraking ignore the idiotic portions of the setting, like modrons, or the adventure set on a fraking microchip.

Absolutely agree. Nice and to the point.

TheRageOfGaia
05-19-2009, 03:11 AM
I listed three:

Ravenloft - because I like scary/creepy things. The books themselves are... meh. But I think the setting has a lot of potential.

Forgotten Realms - I don't know a lot about the history of the Realms, but I like that it is so rich, a DM could run hundreds of campaigns through the realms and never repeat history. Though I agree with others who have said the sheer amount of source material is intimidating, especially if your players are FR fans.

Eberron - I just like it. Maybe it's my inner pulp fiction two-fisted adventurer, maybe it's that I tend to like morally grey campaign settings, or it could just be that changelings, shifters, and warforged are pretty awesome.

shilar
05-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Dark Sun and Planescapes for me. For most of the reasons listed. Also I just loved the background story for Athas. And what rouge can resist the allure of the city of doors, Sigil, the greatest metropolis on all of the planes.

drewshi
05-23-2009, 06:23 AM
I chose Ravenloft. I don't think I've played much in the others in the past; I haven't heard of some of them for that matter, but Ravenloft always felt like it had some substance to it and my players loved it.

russdm
05-23-2009, 06:55 PM
I would say Dark Sun and Dragonlance.

Dark Sun was gritty and really dangerous like. I still have my 2nd ed Dark Sun Shattered Lands computer game. I enjoy re-playing it since it is so fun.

Dragonlance is more a favorite of mine than Dark Sun. I like everything except the Dragon Overlords before teh war of souls. I personally didn't care for them any. I thought it was well done and that the characters in the stories were people i could identify with.

I never became a fan of the other settings. I didn't understand and still don't what alot of the hype about them are.

Freejack
05-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Of the listed ones, Spelljammer would be number one. I like wooden ships and flying stuff. I incorporated cloud castles into my home brew and Spelljammer fit right into that as PCs couldn't "ascend" until they reached 5th level and that was also about when they became aware of cloud castles.

I do have my own setting. Since I started playing before there were settings (well, as we see them now; Blackmoor being orginal :) ) I created my own world.

Garth

It's more watery than Earth. The primary continent being more Australian in size with a chain of islands for a "tail".

Off the northern coast is a leper island and supplying it is a city state (it's been a bit so I don't have the name on the tip of my tongue and everything's still packed :) ).

The City State is on both sides of a large river with the north side being for the more well to do. It also borders on two countries.

The center of the continent has a large range of mountains with a few passes on the northern and southern sides. The northern country is more pastorial with farms and small hamlets and villages. There are two countries south of the mountains. The one closest to the mountains is heavily forested and inhabited by elves and druids. The coastal one has a few larger cities, mainly on the northern border and southern. Trade with the City State comes around the north side or through the northern passes. Trade with the island chain is done from the southern most city.

There is a smaller continent south of the islands that was the stronghold of a tyrant who has long been deposed. His stronghold is a major destination for adventures. Lots of adventures there.

The northern pass is somewhat dangerous however at the southern end of the pass is the Red Dragon Inn. It was built where the fierce Red Dragon (can't recall the name I used :) ) was slain by a brave party of adventurers. The nagahide coverings on the bar stools and chairs are said to be from the Naga's that inhabited the flowing stream that runs next to the Inn. Inn is somewhat of a misnomer as it's more of a large trading post.

Half way through the southern pass is a large abandonded castle. Adventurers have braved the deeps of the castle. Survivors have talked about the very large open cavern that has a great white dragon guarding it. The dragon has a sense of humor though as one party upon discovering the chasm decided to take a short cut to the lower levels. Unfortunately they were making lots of noise where upon the white dragon nicely asked them to quiet down as he was trying to sleep :D

The northern most country is a heavy swamp land with foul reptilian creatures that enslave any intelligent creatures that dare to trespass. The path to the northern pass skirts the swamp and caravan guards are well paid for getting to the pass safely.

There is a large land mass a bit to the east but no one has returned who sailed there.

:D That's all off the top of my head. I have maps, notes, and all sorts of dungeons and dead characters in boxes.

Carl

Celebrimbdal
05-24-2009, 10:20 AM
I prefer Eberron for the elements of modernity that it manages to blend into the standard fantasy milieu to create an atmosphere peppered with "techno-magic" and renaissance sensibilities. The dragonmarked houses take on the role of modern multinational corporations, there is air and rail travel, mass distribution of news, the magical equivalent of nuclear devastation... So many nice shades of gray.

wulfdesign
06-01-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm going to have to go with home brew game worlds as my favorite as well both to as a player or GM.

1) Most recent is TempleOrder's "Steel Realms" even before it was converted to the Incarna system.
2) Second best was another friends game world call "Emerald Kingdoms"
3) Quite a while back would be "Forgotten Realms" under "Skills and Powers"
4) and way back when... we brewed up a world that was a mixture of "Savage Sword of Conan" using the Arduin system (long gone) and 1st ed. D&D.

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 10:03 AM
while forgotten realms is easily my favorite for todays rpg's i will always prefer Greyhawk cause that's how i learned
without all these extra rules and regulations on how almost everything has to be done
and also the Dragonlance settings are magnificent because of the mystery involved but again i will always pine for a good old Greyhawk campaign in fact pretty soon i think i'll try dm'ing for once in a 1st Greyhawk setting............i don't know

curtis
06-06-2009, 12:37 PM
1. Eberron- It makes logic use of magic outside of just combat.
2. Dragon Star- D&D in space, great tool for using multiple settings.

Panthro82
06-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Well it is not on here but my favorite is Farland World. www.farlandworld.com (http://www.farlandworld.com) , You can play it either in the 3.5E or 4E systems. 3.5E link is at bottom of linked page. It is easy to be a hero or good alignment in most all campaign worlds, in Farland evil rules the world, so being good means being the minority. Being an outcast. Being hunted...

shilar
06-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Got to drop a plug for a friend of mine Krahazik (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=2332)'s World of Vina. A bit of an off beat setting but lots of fun, I should know I play tested it. He's looking for players out in Washington if you want to know more.http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5665

gajenx
06-15-2009, 03:39 PM
for me I love the Arabian settings so much more than standard stuff. The feel of the world just rocks and that is why I voted for Al Qadim for my first choice. Though now I will have to look into the Farland World setting. Mostly as I rarely make good heroic characters and as well clash with groups. Since being the hero many times seems to mean doing the dumb action that common sense says no to.

So farland world seems right up my ally as well as the world of Djinnies and seals and sands. Plus how can you not love a place where your Barber is also the local doctor?

Arkhemedes
06-15-2009, 06:40 PM
for me I love the Arabian settings so much more than standard stuff. The feel of the world just rocks and that is why I voted for Al Qadim for my first choice.[/quote]

No kidding? I like Al Qadim too, although I haven't gotten to actually play in the setting. You're like the first person I've seen that has even really mentioned it let alone said they liked it.

My favs though would have to be Ravenloft or the Realms.

Webhead
06-15-2009, 07:17 PM
...No kidding? I like Al Qadim too, although I haven't gotten to actually play in the setting. You're like the first person I've seen that has even really mentioned it let alone said they liked it...

I always really liked (and still have) the Al Qadim setting though, like you, I've not actually gotten to play it. I've still got my Arabian Adventures core book as well as the Land of Fate, Secrets of the Lamp and Assassin Mountain boxed sets. I also still have a copy of Gazetteer #2: The Emirates of Ylaruam which was the "Arabian region" book for D&D Basic.

RoryN
06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Although I haven't really played in it (I bought the material to use for my own campaign world), I really like Forgotten Realms. There's a great deal of depth to the setting, but there's still plenty of room to add things here and there, which was what I was doing when our group drifted apart.

I am another who really has a soft spot for the Greyhawk setting as one of our group used that for his campaign. And it's Gygax's baby, so what's not to like about it?

Baldwin Stonewood
06-15-2009, 09:38 PM
I'll give a plug for Skunkape's home brew: Wizard Quest.

Panthro82
06-15-2009, 11:41 PM
for me I love the Arabian settings so much more than standard stuff. The feel of the world just rocks and that is why I voted for Al Qadim for my first choice. Though now I will have to look into the Farland World setting. Mostly as I rarely make good heroic characters and as well clash with groups. Since being the hero many times seems to mean doing the dumb action that common sense says no to.

So farland world seems right up my ally as well as the world of Djinnies and seals and sands. Plus how can you not love a place where your Barber is also the local doctor?

You would probably dig Farland. In Farland your barber might potentially work for the dark one, so if you admit to him you are on the side of good while he is giving you a shave....he might shave a little too much off

DarQuing
06-17-2009, 01:06 PM
I haven't really had the opportunity to play in the other settings, so I'd have to say Eberron is my favorite setting, though I enjoy the base (Grayhawk?) setting, too.

I think what I enjoy about Eberron are the options that come with the detail of the setting. I could do a general hack and slash or political intrigue or variation thereof. And then there's the way magic is used in everyday life. I think some people would call it a high magic campaign, but it doesn't feel high magic to me. It feels like spellcasters got together and looked for ways they could apply magic to everyday life.

BrotherDog
06-18-2009, 05:19 AM
... I think some people would call it a high magic campaign, but it doesn't feel high magic to me. It feels like spellcasters got together and looked for ways they could apply magic to everyday life.

That's exactly what makes it High-magic, it's just mostly lower-level due to many of the big Elminster-types dying during the Last War. Sure it's Super-Magic like Toril, that's up to the players to assume such a roll in the world. Plus another good thing about the setting is it's Al-Qadim-esque enlightened idealogies.

*Racism is replaced with nationalism.
*One should never assume who a Villain/Hero is based on species.
*Bad guys can be Good and Good Guys might be Evil-ish.

...I personally like the flavor of "the vanity of beauty is Evil" aspect of the setting. i.e; Elves are usuall evil, while the Goblinoids and Orcs are more likely to be goodly. But then again, that would depend on the DM running the game. Most of settings I hate are due to the way they were always run, same goes with the ones I like.

kitsune1842
06-24-2009, 06:23 PM
My favorite setting to RP in has been Eberron, for some reason I always end up playing a character there that is like a hard boiled detective out of an old pulp novel and being able to do that with a Warmage or an Artifacer in a mostly fantasy setting is just fun. Well, that or I end up a halfling riding a trained dinosaur.

That said, one of the most fun games I was ever a player in was Forgotten Realms. I played a character from Sho, so I could cover the fact that I know jack about FR IRL by not knowing it IC. A ronnin Samurai wandering the area around Waterdeep was just plain fun.

As for GMing, the most fun was in a home brew world of mine. The world its self was a general fantasy world, nothing hugely different from Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk except that any God that has ever been worshiped could be found there somewhere if you looked, and the two major players in the heavens were the 8. Stolen shamlessly form the Diskworld books, and then given a face lift, the 8 were a group of God Like beings that were God like in the way Gods are Human like. They were the personifications of 8 of hte msot peorful forces in the world. Good, Evil, Life, Death, Time, The World its self, and the two people were most likely to deal with Fate and the Lady.

The real fun, is that I never let people play characters native to that world. I built a dozen or so world threatening threats, and pulled the characters from thier home planes as the powers that be choosing heroes from other worlds that the threats to that world do not know and could not prepair for. Of course after waking up in the ruins of a temple on a strange world everything the characters did form who they helped and what direction they traveled altered which threat they were going to end up being there to stop.

Panthro82
06-25-2009, 05:42 AM
cool concept

berginyon
07-13-2009, 10:24 PM
i play forgotten realm's but my favorite campain that i don't get to play is Birthright.

Herr_Alvaro
07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Darksun... I played very little in this setting but I just loved the idea... ofcourse I played it on AD&D more than 10 years ago but I still like it :)
Sad that they never made a new edition for 3.5 ed.
Regards

WhiteTiger
07-14-2009, 12:48 PM
I prefer Al-Qadim / Arabian Adventures or Oriental Adventures.

I wish I could articulate why I like them over the rest but I just do.

Panthro82
07-14-2009, 03:55 PM
I prefer Al-Qadim / Arabian Adventures or Oriental Adventures.

I wish I could articulate why I like them over the rest but I just do.

Natural selection

Jcosby
07-30-2009, 02:46 PM
My favorite world is by far Forgotten Reams, but there are other quality worlds as well. I think my first three have been mentioned many times in this thread but Harn hasn't. Harn is a great world with some of, if not the best maps I've ever seen for an RPG.1. Forgotten Realms2. Dragonlance3. Darksun4. HarnJC

Ishcumbeebeeda
07-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I picked Eberron, though I've never actually played in it (or anything other than home brewed worlds for that matter) one of my favorite races and one of my favorite classes are from Eberron, so I'd probably like it.:biggrin:

CEBedford
08-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I picked Pathfinder because it's the first campaign world since Planescape that really kept me hooked.

Panthro82
08-10-2009, 07:11 PM
yea I do love pathfinder

DMMike
08-11-2009, 02:33 AM
Man, Ravenloft is struggling...
I picked it for a few reasons:
- Magic isn't Hollywood flashy
- Evil is part of the mood
- Subtlety rules
The horror...the horror...
Of course, my own setting is my favorite, which would vaguely classify as Middle Earth, which I didn't see in the list.

Lucifer_Draconus
08-17-2009, 02:12 PM
I voted for FR , Al-Qadim & Arabian Adventures as I have the greatest exposure to the FR setting. I consider Al-Qadim/Arabian Adventures part of the extended FR setting.I'm torn concerning the 4th e. FR as I like some of the changes but dislike some of the other (like the changes to Genesai).

I like greyhawk but never gamed with it. The setting isn't as high magic as FR or Eberron but more grittier than FR. I think Greyhawk would've fit WotC's whole 'thousand lights' thing. Oh well.

Currently Eberron is my favorite setting . I like to use of magic & different take on traditional monsters.

I'd have voted for Iron Kingdoms if it was on the list (did I miss it ?) . I love it but wasn't paying over $100 for the core books (monster manual included).

Both Iron Kingdoms & Eberron are major influences on my own homebrew setting.

MarshamSane
08-17-2009, 04:06 PM
I love Dragonlance.

My reasons are simple: Towers of High Sorcery, & the Cataclysm

any campaign that makes the rareness of high powered spell casters and a long history of the absence of divin spellcasters makes for a very dark world indeed. Perfect for gloom-and-doom campaigns.

Crossroads_Wanderer
08-18-2009, 12:47 PM
My absolute favorite is Forgotten Realms because the world is so detailed and expansive. I also love Spelljammer, Dragonlance, and Planescape, though. I really love it when sci-fi is mixed with fantasy, so I love the concept behind Spelljammer. Dragonlance is also a very detailed world, and I think the books are some of the best fantasy books I've ever read. Planescape is very unusual and unique.

prinnycook
08-20-2009, 10:33 PM
I started out with Forgotten Realms so it will always be my favorite setting. I usually use my own because most of the people I play with do not care about settings and just want to do there own thing.

Thorn
09-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Forgotten Realms, It was the 1st. one I started with and still enjoy. Since I have come to enjoy Points of Light for 4th ed. and Pathfinder series.

nijineko
11-04-2011, 12:24 PM
still greyhawk, though i have become much more fond of darksun lately, too. between greyhawk and blackmoor, they are the oldest settings out there for d&d, bar none.

Q-man
01-04-2012, 07:22 AM
My favorite settings are Al-Qadim and Dark Sun. Despite that I seem to spend most of my time playing in Forgotten Realms. I guess its just the easy fall back, it follows all the traditional tropes so its easy to get into. Everyone knows how things work in there.

I just really like the Arabian feel that Al-Qadim has. Unfortunately there's not a lot of material for it, and all of it is out of print for old editions. Its easy enough to adapt it to more modern rules, it just requires that much more preparation time.

The actual setting of Dark Sun isn't all that exciting. The part that I like is that there's no magic in the game, which makes things much more challenging for the players. I like having combats deadly and encourage good role play to avoid it if possible, and that works very well in this setting.

Fenrisnorth
01-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Planescape is 100% boss. No ifs, ands, or buts about it! So sut yer bonebox, berk, grab a mug a bubbly and enjoy!

Mordenkainen
03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
All good campaign settings, but you just cannot beat the classics. The world of Greyhawk was the first campaign setting to be fully fleshed out (Blackmoor wasn't half as complex), and was the brainchild of Gary E. Gygax, founder of D&D. The setting was like FR in the fact that it had every terrain feature, plenty of deities, allowed many options, and was a very classic Tolkien-style setting. It differed (and was better, in my opinion) by being much more gritty than the sometimes flowery Forgotten Realms.

Of course, anyone who reads my name will realize I'm sorta biased on this.

Runner-ups would be Dark Sun, Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft.

-Mordenkainen

nijineko
04-05-2012, 12:00 AM
so... who's your circle of eight?

Le Noir Faineant
05-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Well, as one may assume, I like Blackmoor. Somewhat. ;)

After that, I guess, at this point, Dawnforge and Ravenloft.

revolution 9
05-29-2012, 09:07 AM
My favorite was the one that didn't make it for over a year or two: Red Steel. Swashbuckling Zorro-type setting with superpowered adventurers? I'm all for it.

Though it was part of Mystara, so I suppose my vote would then go for Mystara. The Savage Coast, a wondrous land of magic, a brutal land of gladiators, a hollow earth to explore, immortals instead of gods, and one of my favorite monsters: the thoul. Awesome.

Ampolitor
06-28-2012, 10:05 PM
I love Birthright, my favorite setting of all time, We played a long campaign which was very game of throne like, it ended when the players thought they could take on the Gorgon, well that didn't go so well. The setting just had what I liked, low magic (not very common) lots of cultures, just a great all around setting.

Thorn
04-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Forgotten Realms, because I've played it the longest in 2nd,3rd,3.5 eds. Points of light in 4th both Kaewin and I enjoyed it.

questkick
10-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Ravenloft (http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/) is probably my favorite D&D setting. I think gothic and fantasy make a great combo.

Le Noir Faineant
10-13-2013, 01:16 AM
Ravenloft (http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/) is probably my favorite D&D setting. I think gothic and fantasy make a great combo.

Take care, my dark brother/sister/thing. :)

...And there I thought I'd still know all the regulars there. Ah, how time flies! :)

GladysPotter
12-06-2013, 12:35 AM
i have voted the second leading theme but not so sure with it but would love to new suggested ideas why looking closely the forum to be on those

tesral
12-11-2013, 03:40 AM
In 37 years of playing I've never played IN any of those settings. I've used things branded that way, I've incorporate concepts from them in my game, but I've never used the settings.

So? None of the Above. I've favored none of the official settings when it comes to "research".

kirksmithicus
04-26-2014, 02:52 AM
Of those listed Dark Sun. I love Thieves World as well.

Niel_Pencil
07-24-2014, 09:09 AM
I have Say Forgotten Realms since AD&D 2nd edition is my game or choice.....

It's the best since has so much published material and has a better potential for lead-ins to other settings...