PDA

View Full Version : Chicago- Old timer, second time around

Gethsemane
12-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey all. I'm 32, from Chicago- used to play ages ago but thought I'd "grown up". I stopped when 3.5 came out as a protest against WoTC's blatant bilking of it's customers.

Well I can't take it anymore. I gotta game. So I'm here trying to find fellow players in the Chicago area. Check out my bio, etc. for info. Or drop me a line.

Laters!

Skunkape
12-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Nice to see you coming back to the fold as it were. Good luck with finding a group.

As far as WoTC's putting out a new system, I've been gaming for quite a while, 30 odd years, and it doesn't surprise me when a company comes out with a new set of the rules. As long as they put value in what they're bringing to us, I'm ok with it.

That doesn't mean I'll buy it necessarily, but if they've made the game better, I'm all for them giving us new systems. Specially if I like the new system!

Gethsemane
12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
I proably sound a lot more cynical than I feel. That tends to happen to me in text. I'm a little older, and a lot less fiesty- I've gotten over myself and past that prejudice against 3.5 (it is lightyears better than 2nd edition, though I might wax nostalgic about 1st edition if no-one keeps me in check).

I'm just enthusiastic about getting a chance to game again.

Skunkape
12-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Well, I'm very familiar with 1st edition, it was the only one out when I started playing DnD. First non-wargame I played was Melee, but I then ran across DnD in a hobby shop I frequented and decided to pick it up! So I also have fond memories of it!:D

Farcaster
12-07-2006, 03:13 PM
I enjoyed 1st edition, but I really felt like 2nd edition reigned supreme over it when it came out. The rule books were much easier to read and everything was far more streamlined. The thing about 1st and 2nd edition that I couldn't stand is that by the time your characters were 12th level or so, the game really started slowing down and leveling stopped really meaning as much.

When I finally made the switch to 3rd edition, all of my players were around the 12th to 13th level mark in second edition, except the rogue who had already reached 16th level and after getting bored decided to dual class as a mage (OOOH what a painful system dual-classing was, btw). Anyway, after we converted to 3rd edition, we played those characters all the way to about 26th level! What a blast!