PDA

View Full Version : Familiars, pets, and steeds. We all wanted them, ...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Familiars, pets, and steeds. We all wanted them, list your characters choices. All editions, welcomed.

When i was young and playing dnd, me and my friends always wanted to have a certain animal as a pet, familiar, and steed, in dnd.

List one, list all, but most importantly, enjoy...

My characters always wanted a blink dog as a pet.

What pets, steeds, and/or familiars were on your characters wish list?

What share you?

Oldgamer
05-06-2009, 03:47 PM
I wanted a dark paladin that rode a Nightmare in the AD&D days (this was after seeing Venger in the cartoon). Back in those days, there was only one kind of paladin, so we made the antithesis ... then in Dragon or Dungeon magazine sometime in the 80's ... they came out with the Antipaladin, it was the same but had evil versions of the paladin's abilities.

nijineko
05-13-2009, 01:16 AM
dragons....

templeorder
05-13-2009, 08:41 AM
What pets, steeds, and/or familiars were on your characters wish list?

Pets = War Dog (at first level, it was like have another 2nd level fighter!)
Steeds = The uber-intelligent War Horse (open doors, stand over you and drag you to safety, wake up the folks if Timmy fell in the well, and charge into combat)
Familiar = crow - because it could fly and see things and do cheezy stuff like spy on people and listen at caves, homes, towers, inns and bars for clues.

All of them of course were on watch when we were asleep so we never got surprised and all got good nights sleep.

These were the most common mundane ones. I won't even mention the ridiculous heights we achieved in the power-mad glory days of Monty Haul gaming.

Rastfar
05-14-2009, 11:59 AM
I like, most everyone else I know, started with an Elven thief as my first character. Quickly, did I realize that I wanted the Cooshee as a pet/animal companion. Ah, those were the days....

Panthro82
05-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Its not a wish familiar cause my current character has it....a cat. They are incredibly useful. Spot, listen, hide are through the roof!

Talmek
05-15-2009, 12:06 AM
A pseudodragon would be my familiar of choice...for appearances only if nothing else.

nijineko
05-15-2009, 12:17 AM
yeah, i remember hankering for one of those as a familiar every time i played a character that could have one. ^^

Windstar
05-16-2009, 07:29 PM
I like, most everyone else I know, started with an Elven thief as my first character. Quickly, did I realize that I wanted the Cooshee as a pet/animal companion. Ah, those were the days....

Cooshee were cool even if you weren't a thief. My mage begged the gods for one, but the friggin Druid got one as a companion,,,,,,

:cool::cool:

Rook
06-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Always wanted a pseudodragon: looks cool, awesome abilities, and unusual.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-01-2009, 10:14 AM
If ever my wizard had a familiar, it would have been a pseudodragon, no question.

Panthro82
06-01-2009, 05:51 PM
I have a level 13 druid in a 3.5 greyhawk campaign that has a massive constricter snake. Pretty cool it ate an orc in our last night. He took the next few rounds off to digest.

TheSmartestLemming
06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I was never really a Mount type off guy, but if my wizard ever had a familiar it was always a crow. They make a good quirky side kick, useful scout, and one time I made the laziest wizard I could ever imagine who road a cushy chair that sat atop a perminate tensers floating disk, and had is familiar talk for him. He was awesome. The one and only time he ever actually talked in the campaign was when the party had to book it from a horde of baddies. He tried to get away on the disk, which we had ruled as a mount with a 20' movement that could not run. so when that obviously wasn't working, he cast expeditious retreat which he had always had memorized since 1st level, and started running for his life. He soon caught up to, and then passed the other players and all they heard as he passed was, *Huff Huff Huff* "Oh crap oh crap oh crap." *Huff Huff Huff Wheeeeeze* "Oh crap oh crap oh crap." :lol::lol::lol::lol:

korhal23
06-01-2009, 09:05 PM
My favorite 4E familiar is the Owl, +1d4 to Perception and Insight, and as a standard action you can see through the owl's eyes. Super useful scout.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-03-2009, 06:50 AM
When I was a young I always wanted a nightmare as a steed. I had one a long time ago.

Over the last couple years, I've been without a companion or pet. However, it seems like the rest of the group that I game with has a small zoo/farm with them, so I get them by association. Although I'm playing a rogue/battletrickster/shadowdancer in a current game and I'm about to meet my shadow companion.

Panthro82
06-03-2009, 08:36 PM
nightmares are my favorite mythical creature so I imagine I would love one as well

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-03-2009, 11:27 PM
There was a game last year that was in its infancy. I was working out a familiar that would fit my wizard. This familiar was a spider, and my race was some kind of intelligent Underdark spider/Drow hybrid, i forget the name of the race. This campaign would have been pretty evil, having to do with Drow wars between houses and even between cities. Would have been great. Oh well, perhaps i'll run said campaign one day.

curtis
06-07-2009, 12:26 AM
In 3.5 I got a pseudodragon at level 9 with the build I used. Warblade/Duskblade/Human Paragon +8 BAB, lots of HP, and I still had enough spells to buff the both of us. Good times.:D

Windstar
06-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Also back in the day my DM had all his own setting and I was an Ice-Elven race, and in the north there was a carnivorous horse style mount with claws instead of hooves, and I can not remember what he had named the beast, but to get one was huge advantage in mountain campaigning.

Stabbity
06-08-2009, 11:48 AM
firebats (a flock or whatever a group is called) all the good stuff of bats plus they can start fires

Tamerath
06-09-2009, 12:54 AM
My Hexblade in 3.5 had a fire elemental as a familiar...that was cool (or hot)

Cardboard Tube Knight
06-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Well in the first game I played (play by post) I had three characters.

Dee (Swashbuckler):
Cat - Whiskers
Dog - Scout
Horses(2) -Apples and no name

Maddy (Scout)
Horse - no name

Barbaneth (Paladin)
Horse - Rubicante