PDA

View Full Version : Druid Animal Companion

RMajere
05-06-2009, 09:01 AM
So, I've never really played a druid, much less bothered myself with animal companions or familiars. But in the setting that I'm running a game, druids are various sorts of antagonists. Which is all well and good.

I was looking through a pregen adventure for the setting (Scarred Lands, if anybody's familiar) and I came across a druid NPC who had something like 48 crows each with 1/4 Hit Dice as his animal companion(s).

Now this particular book is written, I believe in 3.0, which may have something to do with it. But my question remains the same, is it possible for a druid to have more than one animal companion like that.

I assume that there is some sort of HD limit to the animal companion, but can you have combinations like that in 3.5, or did they change that rule somewhere? I can't seem to find any sort of ruling on this in the materials that I have for 3.5 (which is almost all of them) and for the SL setting (again almost all of them).

Anybody know?

wizarddog
05-08-2009, 12:21 AM
I could understand if it was a swarm of crows as a players animal companion but I think an an NPC it is just fluff. You can make a monster or NPC have and do anything.

For a PC the rules are different. PC's get better with what they do and are not their for just one or two encounters. If you really wanted a bunch of crows and have them act in an offensive manner the swarm rules are the best example.

As far as multiple companions, some PrC's like the beats master give you multiple animal companions. Nothing prevents you from using your handle animal and spells to gain more trained animals-like a horse and attack dogs. But the magical bond you have with your companion is for only one.

RMajere
05-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm thinking about something akin to allowing a number of creatures with small/less HD equal to the amount of HD that the Druid's animal companions would have.

So if the druid has a the capability to have a 2 HD creature, I'd give him 8 1/4 HD animals, 4 1/2 animals, etc...

Might be an interesting notion to update in my own campaign, especially if the druid doesn't want a combat oriented animal companion.

Skunkape
05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I could understand if it was a swarm of crows as a players animal companion but I think an an NPC it is just fluff. You can make a monster or NPC have and do anything.

That's an interesting way to approach that particular animal companion. I also understand that the companion is supposed to be 1 creature, but normally a swarm is 'considered' 1 creature as far as how the DM handles it so I would allow a PC something like that in my game, just for something different.

Dimthar
05-08-2009, 10:55 AM
. I also understand that the companion is supposed to be 1 creature, but normally a swarm is 'considered' 1 creature as far as how the DM handles it so I would allow a PC something like that in my game, just for something different.

I agree with that, just treat the swarm of crows as 1 creature. Although role-playing wise, I will kick out of my town anyone who is followed by a bunch of harbingers of doom.

Skunkape
05-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Although role-playing wise, I will kick out of my town anyone who is followed by a bunch of harbingers of doom.

LOL! Good call!:evil:

RMajere
05-08-2009, 12:01 PM
OOO, I like the swarm idea. And I never thought about using a swarm as an animal companion. This idea lends a whole bunch of fun to the druid animal companion thing. How about a swarm of something vermin-esque? Or how about a large group of small snakes? I'm liking where this thought train is going!

Although role-playing wise, I will kick out of my town anyone who is followed by a bunch of harbingers of doom.

I agree, I've seen way too many movies where the end of the world or something was heralded by murders of crows...

wizarddog
05-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Make it a swarm of butterflies. The only harbringer on that is a hangover.

BrotherDog
05-09-2009, 04:33 AM
That depends on the tone and culture of the area. Example: Moths and butterflies are the symbols of doom in Asia, Ravens and Crows symbolize the Holy and good omens when dealing with this continent before the savage, filthy whiteman raped and infested our lands with disease and hatred. Plus consider adventurer traffic. Many wouldn't even blink at such a site if many an adventurer passes through on their way to fame and fortune.

Yes, Swarm Companion is the best choice. Plus, if memory serves, a druid's animal companions are only limited to twice the druid's level, without having special feats to to do so. Example: A level 10 Druid can have up to 20HD of animal companions.

I hope this helps. ;;D

nijineko
05-13-2009, 01:04 AM
a druid can only have one animal companion at a time. there may be some feats or class features in some prestige somewhere that override that. i do recall seeing a swarm companion feat somewhere that allows you to select a swarm as an animal companion. and yes, a swarm is usually counted as a single creature.

with the animal friendship spell, one can get quite a lot of willing animal followers, and there is a ring that helps out with that too. which is not the same thing as an animal companion, but still makes for a very impressive scene.

a reason for the single animal companion rule is that the druids animal companion gets benefits in a similar fashion to a familiar. it would get rather overwhelming rather quickly if a druid was allowed 20-40 animal companions and they all received the bonus hd, natural armor, str, tricks, and feats and abilities. ^^

Bearfoot_Adam
05-13-2009, 01:44 PM
3.0 did allow for more than one companion. the total # of hit dice could not exceed your own. this was changed with 3.5 which allowed your companion to increase in power

nijineko
05-13-2009, 10:43 PM
ah, now that you mention it, the does sound familiar.