PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Quarterly. Who subscribes?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Kobold Quarterly. Who subscribes?

http://www.koboldquarterly.com/

I've heard nothing but great things about this magazine and am seriously considering subscribing. Here's my question to all of you: who here has either seen it, or better yet, subscribes to it? If this is you, then please share with me your opinions on said subscription.

Thanks,

Thoth-Amon

BrotherDog
05-06-2009, 02:49 AM
I've always been curious about it since it was first announced in Dragon. The only 2 things that kept me from getting it, my financial situation got worse, and it not being available in a concrete printed version. Anything strictly e-zine is totally useless to me. I'm lucky to have dial-up and have no printer. I always wanted the first cover as a poster though.

agoraderek
05-06-2009, 02:54 AM
I had a sub for issues 5-8, got issue 9 as my "last issue" on the sub, and hope to be able to renew before 10 comes out. It's a nice mag, and now the 4e peeps have a reason to look at it, as they're including more 4e content. I personally have no use for 4e statblocks, but fluff is fluff, and I'm not too picky about that kind of stuff.

All in all, I'd say it's worth the sub price.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

I've always been curious about it since it was first announced in Dragon. The only 2 things that kept me from getting it, my financial situation got worse, and it not being available in a concrete printed version. Anything strictly e-zine is totally useless to me. I'm lucky to have dial-up and have no printer. I always wanted the first cover as a poster though.

Dude, it's a real magazine, not an e-zine (although they do have a PDF only sub option).

BrotherDog
05-06-2009, 03:00 AM
Dude, it's a real magazine, not an e-zine (although they do have a PDF only sub option).

When did this happen? That's good news, though. I wish I could afford it these days.

InvestFDC
05-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Since this poll has no question associated with it I'll just put never heard of it.

Panthro82
05-15-2009, 05:22 PM
I voted heard of it since you guys just mentioned it! :) How did you find out about it? what is it about? where can I check it out?

drewshi
05-16-2009, 05:36 AM
Never heard of it, but I'm checking out the link. I'm always looking for a new resource for information. Do they cover any 1E stuff?

Baldwin Stonewood
05-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I voted heard of it since you guys just mentioned it! :) How did you find out about it? what is it about? where can I check it out?

I heard about it over on the paizo.com site. The reviews have been good but I have not taken the plunge, yet.

mrken
05-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Back when it first came out I tried to keep up with it but I found myself not reading them.

agoraderek
05-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Never heard of it, but I'm checking out the link. I'm always looking for a new resource for information. Do they cover any 1E stuff?

They just cover 3x and some 4e, but quite a bit of the content is fluff you can pretty much use in any edition, with some tweaks.

I heard about it through Paizo as well. I have five hardcopy issues (#5 - #9), and all have been at least interesting, and some of the articles have been quite useful. The website has tons of free content as well, like weekly critters and traps, so that's cool as well.

Here's a link to the most recent monster posted: http://www.koboldquarterly.com/k/article773.php

Rook
05-20-2009, 01:47 PM
I know its a bit off-topic, but I truly miss the print version of "Dragon". I have a complete run from issue 14 and even when I wasn't actively gaming, I enjoyed reading the articles and stories. Just can't get into reading anything in an e-zine format.

agoraderek
05-20-2009, 02:09 PM
I know its a bit off-topic, but I truly miss the print version of "Dragon". I have a complete run from issue 14 and even when I wasn't actively gaming, I enjoyed reading the articles and stories. Just can't get into reading anything in an e-zine format.

Remember, KQ is not an E-Zine, it's a hardcopy mag, subscription only, though. You can get a PDF only sub, but it is not just a PDF mag.

Panthro82
05-20-2009, 02:45 PM
thanks for the links everyone!

amardolem
05-20-2009, 03:03 PM
I have a bunch of them, I keep "one off" buying them...I suppose I should subscribe, there's always some good flavor in there, besides I need more bathroom reading since Dragon and Dungeon went out. :laugh:

templeorder
05-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Having just gone through the web site and checked out some online resources, it looks like a quality publication. If i was more into DnD i would consider it as a good resource. But at this point in my life, i run a custom world with a custom system almost all the time and with almost 30 years gaming experience i find i don't need a whole lot of external resources - i'm still coming up with original ideas by the bushel...

Dragon2605
05-25-2009, 08:13 PM
I've never heard of it. :confused:

lespapillons
05-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Hmm, it looks interesting. Maybe I'll buy an issue and then subscribe if I like it.

Panthro82
05-25-2009, 08:53 PM
im thinking of doing the same thing lespapillons. do they ever put any 3.5 stuff in it?

Rook
05-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the links. Looks interesting.

BrotherDog
05-27-2009, 04:23 AM
im thinking of doing the same thing lespapillons. do they ever put any 3.5 stuff in it?

From what I was to understand and from what I hear. It's primarily 3.5.2 AKA Pathfinder system. The mag is Wolfgang's baby. So that's just my guess.

agoraderek
05-28-2009, 12:35 PM

Until Pathfinder is released in August, they're using 3.5 (and dual statblocking some 4e as well). After August, they'll switch to Pathfinder for the 3x type stuff (no sense in supporting a "dead" system, after all).

Panthro82
05-28-2009, 10:00 PM
yea why support a dead system(which is better then its replacement) :(

BrotherDog
05-29-2009, 03:20 AM

Hmmm...
To quote Wilford Brumley, "It's right thing to do, and the tasty way to do it."

Panthro82
05-29-2009, 05:04 AM
lol, he was totally talking about oat meal when he said that! Not D&D 4E! :)

agoraderek
05-30-2009, 01:38 PM

If you're referring to Pathfinder, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much it cleans up some of the issues with 3x.

If you're referring to 4e, carry on.

Panthro82
05-30-2009, 03:23 PM
No, I like pathfinder. I just downloaded the core rulebook Pathfinder 3.5 and I really like what I see there. I was talking about 4E. I have tried to look into 4E. I've tried to understand why they made the changes they did. I've tried to force myself to believe that 4E is relevant and valuable. It just isn't to me. I greatly dislike 4E..

Tamburlain
05-30-2009, 03:45 PM
I am a subscriber, but only recently. My first--and only the second issue that I've read--is #9, which I liked well enough to take the plunge for a year.

Here is a quotation from issue 9's editorial from Wolfgang Bauer:

"...all my early fears of 3e and 4e gang war were completely overblown. At least when I promised that the mega-dwarven adventure would appear in both formats... Which is a long-winded way of saying, we're moving to support a little more 4th edition... I expect to get a few angry emails asking for refunds, but the magazine does have to serve both sides of the gaming house, and we will."

Personally, I really cotton on to what WotC is doing with the latest D&D edition, and I say that having not liked D&D in a long long time. Because I think it's a great game with really interesting mechanics, I am very happy to have a new source 4e content.

But, if 4e is not your thing, then in contemplating Kobold Quarterly you may want to consider how much space you will have to share within its pages.

BrotherDog
05-31-2009, 04:29 AM
lol, he was totally talking about oat meal when he said that! Not D&D 4E! :)

I mean 3.Xe not the abomination that is 4e. Oh man! Now I have to apologize to all abominations for insulting them by associating them with 4e. Oh well, I always wanted to have a confab with a Spectator. So, this be my chance.

No, I like pathfinder. I just downloaded the core rulebook Pathfinder 3.5 and I really like what I see there. I was talking about 4E. I have tried to look into 4E. I've tried to understand why they made the changes they did. I've tried to force myself to believe that 4E is relevant and valuable. It just isn't to me. I greatly dislike 4E..

You can say that again. They overcomplicated what used to be simple, and made some even worse. The only way I'll ever do any 4e is if, "I don't have to run it and don't have make the character or level it." It seems way too munchkin yet it's waaay easier to die at anytime. It feels more like a badly slapped together Superhero game without anything that would make such a game awesome. I for one sure do hope they don't abandon the 3.5.2 stuff.

Did they switch the Pathfinder system name from 3.5.2 to 3.75?

Panthro82
05-31-2009, 01:55 PM
No I don't think they call it 3.75, it is just coined thus by a lot of gamers.

From the sounds of it I SHOULD have subscribed to Kobold, but it is too late now seeing as how it is about to become an extension of 4E.

I was talking to someone who plays 4E a while back and they said they prefer 4E because he said it emphasizes teamwork. Every time I look at it I think about how frustrated I am with WOTC for crudely slapping together just anything to make a fast couple million. I got even more distraught when I came to the realization that 4E was about to make finding 3.5 stuff incredibly hard. :( friggin 4E

BrotherDog
06-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Teamwork has more to do with the way the players are playing nad the way the DM runs the game. I guess I've been lucky so far with that for the most part. All the way back from 1e even.

Tamburlain
06-03-2009, 08:24 PM
From the sounds of it I SHOULD have subscribed to Kobold, but it is too late now seeing as how it is about to become an extension of 4E.

Chin up. Really, there's no need to despair as KQ is going to support both systems, roughly 50/50 by the sound of WB's last editor's note. Sounds like win-win to me.