PDA

View Full Version : Live Action Fantasy

GoddessGood
05-05-2009, 10:32 AM
SCA, HFS, LARP or otherwise, I have always been curious (and a little envious) of people who commit themselves to such activities. And, from what I hear, it is quite a commitment.

So on to the question: Are you involved in any of the above (or similar) groups? How did you get involved and what are your favorite aspects of it? Do you find you enjoy it more or less than regular table top (or virtual) roleplaying? I included SCA in this despite the fact that its aim is historical rather than fantasy because many of the more popular fantasy settings are inspired by earth's medieval time period.

yukonhorror
05-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I was part of SCA for a while. It was super fun.

It was a club on campus, but only a couple of members were students. There were a lot of people who just happened to live close. A lot of it was learning how to fence (like old school fencing not olympic fencing) and we did scenarios like one team was Inigo and Fesik trying to light the holocaust cloak and the other team was trying to prevent them from doing that.

But I had a lot of other things on my plate, and didn't have the funds to appropriately support the hobby (buying swords and protective clothing).

@goddess
You might want to check a local university.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-05-2009, 11:08 AM
There are some great videos on youtube of larpers playing it out. I also know of another group; they meet against other armies around the country, perhaps around the world, where they wear full armor and use home made weapons.

From what witnesses have told me they've seen of it, seeing two armies go into battle against one-another is a pretty awesome site to behold. I would be completely willing to get involved in something like this.

MortonStromgal
05-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Theres also a documentary of the Seattle Nero group called Monster Camp. As for me I am still LARP free although I have friends in the SCA, Amtguard, Vampire, and others. The only one that has really interested me at all is Call of Cthuhlu :biggrin: but I have never found a local chapter... so I'm still a LARP virgin.

drewshi
05-05-2009, 05:18 PM
*AHEM*

Produced an episode of my podcast on the very subject with someone who produces supplies for such gaming.

http://thechronicrift.podomatic.com/entry/2008-12-14T16_23_08-08_00

jade von delioch
05-05-2009, 10:05 PM
I did the larp thing for a while. Lot of fun, but its one weekend once a month and that can be kind of hard. The Only problem i ever ran into was the lazy gamers who would come and sit around in the tavern the whole week end and expect to be hand feed their plot and adventure. Hate those types of people. And they know who they are since they play in Jersey and in PA. in the Poconos region (NERO).
I helped a friend play test a game for awhile as well but he has as of yet to release it much superior live action system for some stupid reason.

GoddessGood
05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Ahh yes, the podcast :) I remembered bits of it, but it was a while back. When younger, several friends and I lived in one of those neighborhoods of cookie cutter houses that was constantly expanding. We would purloin building material scrap and fashion it into weapons and armor and go galavanting around in the fields, among the piles of sand and dirt and in the uncleared mesquite thickets. We were orcs, paladins, priests, hunters, vampires, warriors, magicians, thieves; we were anything we wanted to be. No one was in charge but we all had a set of rules we agreed to. It was great fun and I miss it dearly.

templeorder
05-06-2009, 10:51 AM
I got involved with GOA (Games of Adventure) in Seattle through a friend of someone i game with. Its mostly combat, but there is a central town and rules, with a plot. I still attend the occasional "Evening in the Park" - a full 12 hour event that takes place once a year (august usually) at Ravenna Park in Seattle. I enjoyed the physicality of it, and the combat. The plots were fine, but i preferred to play NPC's because you had more freedom to just jump in and fight. I played a berserk warrior when with a group - i would pop a couple alka seltzer and foam at the mouth, brandishing axe and shield and ignoring the first would from all opponents.

I don't really like a lot of LARP's as most people take it too seriously or use it as a vehicle to act like jerks under the guise of "its just gaming"... thats been my experience any way.

Skunkape
05-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Never tried it myself, too much of a time-sink, but some of the games I've seen look like fun.

Moritz
05-07-2009, 08:59 AM
I did AMTGARD a few years back. A pretty good cardiovascular activity, stress relief, plus it was great beating the hell out of people without all that messy blood.

GoddessGood
05-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Archery was the thing I always wanted to get into. Despite the fact that my eyes are a wreck, I'm actually a decent shot. When my wrists were stronger I used pole and staff weapons. My favorite were two 1 inch thick dowel rods duct taped into a cross. We re-inforced the join and covered the whole thing in duct tape. It was freaking heavy, at least 5 foot tall and almost as wide, but during my prime I could use it to fend off three people at once.

Mead
05-07-2009, 09:46 AM
I was involved with Dark ConFrontation for the first few years (early 90s), was a lot of work but a lot of fun. Set up the booth at 6AM, break it down again at midnight, and a lot of herding cats in the middle. Reffing the 30-person brawls was interesting, to say the least.

It was a completely different experience from tabletop gaming, hard to say which is preferable. TTG is certainly easier from a logistics standpoint.

Webhead
05-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I was in a Vampire LARP several years back which ran twice a month for about a year and had a good 12-15 players at any given time. It was a lot of fun for what it was but I wouldn't really prefer it over table-top gaming which (to me) appeals as a bit more "personal" and "focused" in terms of character-GM interaction and story development. I had a good time certainly and the 2 GMs were very good at making the game as successful as it was. In the end though, I think table-top "does more" for me in terms of satisfying my desire for shared-storytelling.

Valdar
05-12-2009, 11:20 PM
I've been playing in a Dark Ages WoD boffer LARP for a few sessions. I don't think I'll go back- the problem with this LARP and the one before it I played in seems to be that there isn't a low level game- the scenarios are set at the power level of the experienced players, so the new players get to provide the thing that frustrated dramatists need most- an audience. Which isn't a role I really want to play in a game that I spend a weekend doing =)

And yes, there are a lot of people at these games that play obnoxious characters and try to pass it off as roleplaying. When all of their characters are obnoxious, then it isn't RP.

I've been doing SCA again recently as well- it's not a LARP by any definition (people don't really RP- your persona is something you talk about, not someone you talk as), but it does have the advantage over most other groups in that it's fricking huge. You can find your local SCA group by going to the website- www.sca.org (http://www.sca.org) - and finding your local kingdom (Texas is Ansteorra, unless you live near El Paso). Plenty of armored combat, fencing, archery, etc. to keep you busy...

Skunkape
05-13-2009, 09:44 AM
I don't think I'll go back- the problem with this LARP and the one before it I played in seems to be that there isn't a low level game- the scenarios are set at the power level of the experienced players, so the new players get to provide the thing that frustrated dramatists need most- an audience. Which isn't a role I really want to play in a game that I spend a weekend doing =)

That's a shame! Unfortunately, I doubt there are enough people like you that will stop playing the game so that the group will realize, hey, we need to get some more low-level content in here so that new characters/players can enjoy the game as well!

And yes, there are a lot of people at these games that play obnoxious characters and try to pass it off as roleplaying. When all of their characters are obnoxious, then it isn't RP.

I know that feeling! That's one thing that really gets me, and the worst thing about it is, the players who do that think they're doing a great job RPing!

GoddessGood
05-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Do any of you who participate in live action activities go to re-enactments or rennaisance festivals? I'll be headed to one this sunday with a group of friends, which ought to be a lark ;)

Valdar
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
That's a shame! Unfortunately, I doubt there are enough people like you that will stop playing the game so that the group will realize, hey, we need to get some more low-level content in here so that new characters/players can enjoy the game as well!

Ultimately these groups reach critical mass with experienced players, so they can function without new players. Then as experienced players leave, the game dwindles and dies out. I just heard that this game in particular is going to end at the end of this year.

Do any of you who participate in live action activities go to re-enactments or rennaisance festivals? I'll be headed to one this sunday with a group of friends, which ought to be a lark ;)

The big one around here is:

http://www.washingtonrenfaire.com/

I played drum for the pike company in '07 (no faire in '08 due to problems with the site), and will be doing so again in August of this year. There are a few shots of me in the galleries for the first weekend- I'm the guy in the blue vest with the huge snare drum =)

http://www.cjyphoto.com/gallery/3364014_RQfcL#P-1-12

Baron_Samedi
05-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Participated in amtgard here in north texas for a few years, not a bad experience...although it takes some getting used to getting in garb and hauling handmade foam weapons and sheilds through a public park. In my White Wolf days, in did participate in the Minds Eye Theatre...but had to stop because some members of my group actually had problems differentiating between the game and reality...(one actually wanted me to address him as his vampire's clan ranking in the game, at a dinner party we were hosting for the group!)

Mead
05-13-2009, 09:43 PM

I used to go to renfests all the time, the Georgia and North Carolina ones, specifically. Haven't been in 3 years or so though.

Ded Bob and the Tortuga Twins are some of my favorite acts. There's another one, the two flamboyant fencers, can't remember their names - one uses a whip to do tricks...

I also used to follow Tanya Brody (Lady Rowan) around and listen to as many of her sets as possible.

GoddessGood
05-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Ded Bob doesn't come to the one I can get to most often, which is Scarborough Faire in Waxahachie, but I've seen him in Houston at the Texas Ren Fest. I enjoy Christophe the Insulter and Zilch the Torysteller, though :). Getting into garb is part of the fun, imo, I just have to work on my sewing skills so I can have garb that I can afford :redface:

nijineko
05-14-2009, 01:00 PM
renfest is about as close as i ever get to larping. i actually have a costume, but i'm not sure it fits anymore. ^^ the swordsmen were my favorite act at the renfests i went to.

last time i went to a renfest i freaked out the weapon thrower guy by throwing the shuriken backhanded, when he swore up and down that you had to throw them overhand to get them to stick in the wood... and i left three out of four in the wood side by side so deep that he had a hard time pulling them back out. (the first one i threw as he suggested, just to feel what it was like.) it's all in the breathing.

Rook
05-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Well, there was this one time when I went into the steam tunnels under campus...

Skunkape
05-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Ultimately these groups reach critical mass with experienced players, so they can function without new players. Then as experienced players leave, the game dwindles and dies out. I just heard that this game in particular is going to end at the end of this year.

Wonder if they will figure out they need to be nicer to new players in order to keep the game alive longer? Naw, probably not!

My wife and I go to a local one every year. Best part of all, she wants to dress up next time we go so we've got to get some costumes made over the course of the next 8 months!

GoddessGood
05-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Yeah, I had months to make mine and a sewing machine, too, but I still ended up going in one of my old standbys. I did buy a corset this year, tho :). One performer at a show I went to asked me to stand up and take a bow (to show off the corset and what it was ... presenting) and I told him I could barely breathe, how could he expect me to bend over? :lol: